Wifi-TrayNet and Wifi-Scanner

stemsee

#81 Post by stemsee »

i found a problem in scan'n'join openap function. Easy to fix. And while I was at it added an improvement, using the svg icons.
Attachments
2018-06-29-125738_488x309_scrot.png
(46.14 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
2018-06-29-125830_639x468_scrot.png
(91.34 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
2018-06-29-125759_488x309_scrot.png
(46.08 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#82 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Stemsee, I keep chasing you, if you don't mind :lol:

Now, on 3.9, I connected to wlan0 fine, then disconnected eth0, how can I reconnect to eth0 again ?, couldn't find.
Also, why is there eth0 in the dropdown box at the profile dialog, no way eth0 can be for wireless, I think ?

Fred

stemsee

#83 Post by stemsee »

Hi Fred

As long as you got the energy and time to chase me up ... please continue to do so :lol: It's improving my efforts!

So, my wifi apps usually show all interfaces because of reports I have read in which some usb wifi cards appear as eth0, and usb0 ... I can not test the new code on much hardware, so that is why I tend to give access to all interfaces...

To re-connect to eth0 having joined and disconnected, simply click on ethernet 1 connect in mainmenu ... i on't have ethernet connection at home so not so easy to test ... but the university is near by so should go there and plug it in ( lazy because we have a heatwave ). These days I test hardware like this

Code: Select all

ls /sys/class/net/wlan0 | grep wireless
but I do not know how reliable that is for identifying wifi versus wired networks interfaces (I should do more research) ...

Also 'initiate connection, you can select eht0, but also select driver>wired ... and possibly static settings ... empty other fields. Wpasupplicant handles wired interfaes too ... I coded that in, but not tested thoroughly yet.

So, that is why I don't generally filter out wired interfaces because , actually, we can not be sure! Wicd on FD has its interfaces mixed up in the wired and wireless sections, peasywifi has hardcoded eth0 and eth1 even if they don't physically exist! Such is the nature of linux hardware and software .... my method allows for all those possibilities and makes fewer assumptions, I hope! That is why I wrote it!!! And I also have 5 wireless interfaces I want to control from one interface easily and successfully....eventually I want to surpass the common network tools for features, intuitive operation, and flexibility.

cheers
stemsee

stemsee

#84 Post by stemsee »

Closed-AP Open-AP scan'n'join improved.

Changed the logic in testing connection. Connection will be tested every 15 seconds, to update tray icon. Testing stops for scanning and connection then resumes so that if lost or reduced user will have visual feedback in the form of the tray icon.

stemsee

stemsee

#85 Post by stemsee »

Messed up the last package, by not testing on a pristine installation.

Ok, Wifi-Scanner improvements include, now uses static settings of AP if found in $HOME/.wifi-connect/static (created by TrayNet).

Wifi-TrayNet, improvements include, frequent polling on connection status.
AP config building streamlined with a case statement.
improved dhc usage, for fatdog, and puppies, and BD. DHCPCD self regulates to limit to only one instance ever. On fatdog I found just issuing dhcpcd was better for acquiring an ip address than specifying hook scripts.
use of iw 'interface' info to grab hwether hardware mac address.
Now stores all unique APs found as ssid+bssid.svg in new dir $HOME/.wifi-connect/apsvg for archive/history of scannings (would be nice to link to gps/ip location). These are not profiles just ssid AP name, key on or off, power level, and net mac address.
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#86 Post by stemsee »

Now that all the important basic functions are reliably coded, I want to implement a gui that previews the 32 extra network blocks, as a wpa_supplicant.conf file ... Probably use 'yad --paned' top pane to scroll through blocks and bottom pane to preview (svg) with substituted variables, then upon selection of a block either connect directly, or simply create and save a profile for future use, or both!

stemsee

#87 Post by stemsee »

Bumped the version number.
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#88 Post by stemsee »

This is a significant update

1) NetworkBlock manager is now working thanks to misko_2083
One can now build very customised network connection configs easily.

2) Profiles preview is now editable and will save to a new profile, with the suffix' -$$'

3) Airplane mode stopped showing the icon, now fixed and reworked.
Attachments
2018-07-08-145943_809x574_scrot.png
(89.82 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#89 Post by stemsee »

Added to Wifi-TrayNet when connecting with usb0 (android phone) or eth0/1 now offers to create auto-connection for that interface - needs testing.

Added alternative command for determining ip address. Also similar ip test for part of interface cleaning.

Fixed 'Connect AP' button popping up when no profile for found APs.
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#90 Post by stemsee »

Wifi-Scanner-Manual

The latest edition - is a simple 100 line Wifi-Connection app that has fewer options exposed to the user, and has a stay open results gui with buttons.

Manual scan button, manual configure and connect button. It's quite nice.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(61.85 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
2018-07-20-233222_587x234_scrot.png
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

stemsee

#91 Post by stemsee »

This update provides a beta of Wifi-ScannerM. The simplest of the three.
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#92 Post by stemsee »

Wifi-TrayNet-4.8 fixes and improvements.
1) When randommac is called that is applied and quickreconnect is invoked.
2) Autoconnect functions work properly with variables defined before writing the autoconnect script, instead of within (backtic operations left empty spaces).
3) mac address editor in passwordgui.
4) static ip applied more effectively. I found myself connecting to a router which allowed internet to ip addresses above 100, but allowed lan connection to ips above and below 100. I also found that second attempt to connect to such network with new mac address resulted in correct ip assignment and internet connectivity. First connection would be 192.168.0.105 (no internet) static ip new mac (random mac) gave 192.168.1.105 internet connection.
5) Saved profile connection uses saved static settings.
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#93 Post by stemsee »

For the last three days I worked on Wifi-TrayNet function by function. I found some problems and changed things.

Saved profiles function overhauled and much improved. Using yad list and buttons to preview delete edit and customise profiles.

here is the Wifi-TrayNet script only copy yo /usr/sbin/Wifi-TrayNet.
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#94 Post by stemsee »

apsvg
Attachments
xscreenshot-20181020T234613.png
balloons
(153.52 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

stemsee

#95 Post by stemsee »

I could not connect with eduroam on fatdog using wifi-traynet this addresses the issue. But alas there are other issues.
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#96 Post by stemsee »

I had to review Wifi-TrayNet functions and code flow. I beleive that now this app has matured and will be easy to use for the majority of users.

On starting with X Scan results are available in the menu for selection of available APs. the app connects to the default profile which is created by the last AP connectiony AP availability is first checked,

Wifi interface is determined and selected automatically; manual selection is available in the menu.

Airplanemode is now checked by any functions trying to use the interface.

profiles are created before connection, and are more easily managed.

There are no additional scripts created, only a symlink to either /etc/xdg/Startup or /root/Startup if the menu >Toggle Start with Xs selected.

The code no longer uses 'tr' to convert @ to ", rather backslashes are used to escape each item along with 'echo -e' (seems inedfficient to me).

The menu has fewer options exposed to the user. So too the password entry gui.

Just testing a bit more.

stemsee

stemsee

#97 Post by stemsee »

This works well on FD800 fd721 DebianDog and upupbb.

Testing feedback appreciated.

The password/user entry gui has 11 input fields, from left to right and down.

Password and User id fields are auto-greyed out according to authentication types.

AP selected shows the ssid of AP selected from tray menu. The mac address of the selected AP is shown in the ReSelect AP field. Selecting the down arrow shows all available APs found, select one and click ok to change selected AP.

dhcpc editor shows the udhcpc and dhcpcd strings used for acquiring the ip address from the AP.

Config editor (geany/leafpad) if selected opens selected AP/profile with selected text editor.

Profiles selector, shows saved profiles and selects matching AP with saved profile. If visible, the shown profile will be connected even if password and /or user id has been entered. To create a new profile with updated password/id blank line in the profiles field, enter password/id and click ok.

Driver field for wpa_supplicant. Use wired for ethernet connection, selecting or inputting the network device in the interface field.v Or use wext for wireless devices.

Static ip set, field with examples...for advanced set-ups.

$int mac, shows your hardware mac address. Edits to this mac address will be applied.

Field 12 is a button, that brings up the NetworkBlocks presets in case of editing the Profile or connection config (netsel/qrc/default).

stemsee
Attachments
Wifi-TrayNet-2019.sfs.gz
fixed profiles function and too long names in tray Menu
(140 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
xscreenshot-20181229T190406.png
(25.18 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

stemsee

#98 Post by stemsee »

I have added basic bluetooth functionality to Wifi-TrayNet. Connects/disconnects audio device and phone/obex.
Attachments
xscreenshot-20190110T023410.png
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

stemsee

#99 Post by stemsee »

Working...
Attachments
xscreenshot-20190110T201911.png
(27.53 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

stemsee

#100 Post by stemsee »

New version with working bluetooth utility. Now has command input and execution.

There is a roaming function which doesn't work properly, so please ignore it for now.

AP names in the tray menu are limited to display 17 characters.
Attachments
Wifi-TrayNet-2019.sfs.gz
(144 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
xscreenshot-20190111T195026.png
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 147 times