'Portable' Palemoon - v28.6.0

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

'Portable' Palemoon - v28.6.0

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Palemoon-'portable'

Afternoon, all.

Seeing as how well Fredx181's Portable-FF-Quantum has been received (I use it myself; a total 'turn-around' for a die-hard Chrome user, it's that good).....and also knowing how popular Palemoon is with Puppians, I thought perhaps a 'portable' version of Palemoon might also be appreciated.

I've based it on Fred's Quantum-portable, including a modified form of the 'ff' launch 'wrapper', and the inclusion of the 'apulse' stuff. I've tested it out on a USB install of Sailor's Slacko 5.7.1, with 'pfix=ram' in the kernel line; this always gives a pristine boot. This is my 'test-bed' Pup.

18/01/19:- New version - 28.3.0

04/07/19:- New version - 28.6.0

--------------------------------------

No NetFlix, of course (but that's due to what's happening at Moonchild productions; apparently, Mozilla are not playing ball with their request for the DRM code'n'stuff). Youtube is fine, Flash content plays OK, general browsing is trouble-free.

[Edit:-] Nope, got that wrong. The chief Palemoon 'compiler', NewTobinParadigm, has made it crystal-clear on the Palemoon forums that there isn't even the remotest possibility of DRM coming to Palemoon. They're just not interested in adding it, so it seems....

---------------------------------------

If anyone fancies trying this out, you can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Download the appropriate version for your architecture.

(EDIT:- - 24/01/20 - I've had reports from some folks that they can't access the 'Drive'. For anyone else who's having trouble downloading these, I've mirrored them at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/bt0is5i ... Portables' )

You follow the same procedure as Quantum-portable. Download the appropriate tarball. Extract it. Move the 'palemoon32' or 'palemoon64' directories to wherever you want them.

Start Palemoon by clicking on the 'plmn' script inside.

---------------------------------------

'Extras':-

32-bit:-

GTK 3.0; either from the PPM, or there's a .pet here which will work for most 5-series, and some early 6-series Puppies.

Libatomic (if required - I don't think it is) - here.

64-bit:-

GTK 3.0 should be available from the PPM for all 64-bit Puppies, if you haven't already got it.

Libatomic (if required) - here.

--------------------------------------

Feedback would be appreciated. AFAICT, the updater should work as normal, overwriting the 'old' bits of the self-contained directory with the 'new' stuff; the 'apulse' stuff, 'wrapper-script' & your profile should remain untouched. Any problems, please let me know, and we'll see what needs to be fixed.

A big 'Thank-you' is due to fredx181 for giving me the idea; sorry for 'hijacking' your launch script, mate! :D

(EDIT:- Whoops, nearly forgot. There's some sort of 'bug' with Palemoon, if you happen to have JRE (the Java Runtime Environment) installed/loaded. If you're using the current version - jre-8u_181 - Palemoon refuses to boot, giving a 'symbol lookup error' in the terminal, followed by all kinds of JRE-related guff.

I've found there's two possible solutions. Since it's preferable to load JRE as an SFS anyway, due to its size, if you unload it before starting Palemoon, there's no problem. The other 'solution' is to use the previous version of JRE instead - jre-8u_171; with this, the issue is non-existent.

I have NO idea who is to 'blame' for this 'issue'. I'm not even going there....! (But at least y'all know now.))

------------------------------------

EDIT: 23/01/19 - For anyone who's got this problem, it can be 'sorted' by upgrading to the new, current JRE 'update'.....jre 8u_201. You can find them here. Help yourselves to the appropriate version for your architecture.

With this update, whatever the problem was with jre-8u_181 has evaporated.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 24 Jan 2020, 11:04, edited 9 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

About apulse, from what I tested Palemoon doesn't depend on pulseaudio or apulse, sound works without it, so you could leave out the apulse folder and last line of the plmn script can be without the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting, so just this:

Code: Select all

"$LAUNCHDIR/palemoon" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
(just saying, although it doesn't really matter, the way you did setup doesn't do any harm)
A big 'Thank-you' is due to fredx181 for giving me the idea; sorry for 'hijacking' your launch script, mate! Very Happy
Absolutely no need to say sorry Mike, I'm just glad that it can be useful.
Besides that, this kind of "portable" script has been done many times before for all different sort of programs, so it's not my invention, i'm a stealer too :wink:

EDIT: Not that I want to scare you, but as far as I can remember, the Palemoon devs have policy for distributing rights, so it may not be completely legal to distribute Palemoon in modified form, as you did.
(but I'm really not sure about this)

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:...this kind of "portable" script has been done many times before for all different sort of programs, so it's not my invention, i'm a stealer too...
Fair do's! But you still get credit for giving me a little 'kick'; I've been toying with the idea of doing this for a while now. It's certainly a lot easier than trying to turn the Chromium-based browsers into 'portables', because they don't update under Linux (well, they don't in Puppy, that's for sure.)

As for Pulse/apulse; I haven't tested it extensively, true. I figured, like you say, it couldn't hurt to include them anyway.....so I did.

We'll see if anybody likes it.... :roll: :lol:

keniv

#4 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
Tried the 32 bit version on lupu 5287. Stored the files in /opt. Tried clicking on the /opt/palemoon32/plmn file. Nothing happened. Tried in a terminal and again did not work. Output of the terminal is shown below

Code: Select all

# /opt/palemoon32/plmn     
/opt/palemoon32/plmn: line 6:  8983 Illegal instruction     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/apulse${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/palemoon" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
# 
Is this an issue with hardware again? I only have a P3 processor on this old laptop.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ken:-

It could be a hardware thing, or not; I'm not entirely certain. I'm running this from a remote, auto-mounted partition. It won't run in 5287 for me, either (and I'm using a dual-core Athlon64); I get the old 'XPCOMGlueLoad' error.....missing libs, it seems.

I'm going to poach a few from Racy 5.5, which is the same kinda vintage as Lupu, and see what happens. I rather suspect you're going to be limited to an older version watchdog put together for Lucid (26.2.2); that ancient glibc is the problem for so much newer software in Lupu.

I'll report back.....

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

Palemoon uses code that some older processors can't run so it is very possible it is a hardware issue.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ken:-

Nope; it won't run for me under any circumstances in Lupu.

I believe rockedge is right, though. You do at least have SSEs on your PIII (though precious little else!).....from what I recall, there's a special 'SSE'-only build of PaleMoon, knocking around the main PaleMoon thread.

Here you go; this appears to be the most recent build WalterDnes compiled specifically for CPUs that don't have SSE2/SSE3.....only SSE. Like your old Pentium there.

ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

It will need to be manually installed, though. Walter gives install information in this post on the PaleMoon forum:-

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=95904#p95904

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

Less complicated than following the instructions is watchdog's palemoon-27.9.4-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet, last updated on July 18, 2018: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#973676.

If I recall correctly, don't expect a palemoon-28-sse anytime soon.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Mike,

Less complicated than following the instructions is watchdog's palemoon-27.9.4-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet, last updated on July 18, 2018: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#973676.

If I recall correctly, don't expect a palemoon-28-sse anytime soon.
Ah, that looks like an easier way, Mike. I knew watchdog had done a version that'd work with Racy/Lucid, with 'built-in' glibc stuff; I wasn't aware he'd put one together for SSE-only boxes.

Nice one.

T'other Mike. :wink:

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Hi Keniv !
Hello All,
Tried the 32 bit version on lupu 5287. Stored the files in /opt. Tried clicking on the /opt/palemoon32/plmn file. Nothing happened. Tried in a terminal and again did not work. Output of the terminal is shown below

Code:
# /opt/palemoon32/plmn
/opt/palemoon32/plmn: line 6: 8983 Illegal instruction LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/apulse${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/palemoon" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
#

Is this an issue with hardware again? I only have a P3 processor on this old laptop.

Regards,
Maybe have a look here for Pale Moon 27.9.4 SSE (32bit)

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

keniv

#11 Post by keniv »

Hello All
Thanks for all the help. I have got an sse version of palemoon running on this old laptop and it ran well and I liked it. It was the only "modern" browser I could get to run on it. However, I'm not sure what version I've got though. I think it was the last official version. I'm replying on my phone. I'll check when I get back on the laptop. If the versions on the links are later I'll try them and report back here.

Thanks again,

Ken.

keniv

#12 Post by keniv »

Hi All,
Am now posting from my old laptop using palemoon.
watchdog's palemoon-27.9.4-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet
On checking I have glibc219_runtime-lucid-20171103 installed.
Maybe have a look here for Pale Moon 27.9.4 SSE (32bit)
This is the version I currently have installed. It does look then that I am limited to this version based on the hardware on this old machine. Never mind, it was worth trying.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

As expected.....updates are working fine in this 'portable' version of Palemoon. Halfway through watching a video on YouTube, up popped a window:

"A new version of Palemoon (28.3.0) is available for download.

Do you want to download and install it now?"

So, I OK'd it.....and let it do its thing.

Two minutes (and a re-start) later, I was watching the rest of the video in the new version. Seamless, and hassle-free. Much better, now that they've switched to the integral update mechanism long employed by other Mozilla-based browsers.

Upload links in post #1 have been updated for the new version.

Happy low-resource browsing, y'all!

backi

#14 Post by backi »

Hi Mike !
Works fine ...but instead of Pale Moon 28.3x i used Pale Moon 27.9.4 .

My old Clunker (single Core --1 Gig Ram ) somehow is working much harder with newest Version of Pale Moon.On some Sites the newer Pale Moon takes an Eternity to load .

Regards !

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

With regard to the 'conflict' between Palemoon and the Java Runtime Environment, it's disappeared with the new, current update, jre-8u_201. Anybody who wants the new version can find links to 32- and 64-bit SFS packages in post #1.

fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

Here's a thread with info about how to solve some possible issues with the latest Palemoon.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115266
For users running on machines with Intel graphics, but probably not all Intel graphics are affected, (I have it also, but no such problems for me)

Fred

backi

#17 Post by backi »

Hi !
I am not really satisfied with new Versions of Palemoon 28.xxx.
Since all my Add-ons ( Imtranslater-Ublock Origin-Umatrix -Disconnect- Open With ) no longer working and could not find any adequate Substitute ......it does not make any sense for me to use it ( any longer ) .
Lack of Ublock and Umatrix makes this new Version really slow .

So I now did (re) discovered Firefox Quantum again .I am amazed how blazing fast it works .......of course all my Add-Ons are working too .
Also just switched back to Palemoon 27.9.4 and all my Frustrations are gone and my Add-Ons are also back again .

Did give Palemoon 28.4 a real fair Chance.........but sorry .......maybe later ....
What`s your Experience/Opinion ?

Btw:Switched all my Internet Browsers and Thunderbird to "Portable" Versions .

Dont know if there is any Advantage ( beside of being "portable" ) in it or if there are any ( hidden ) Downsides to it . Maybe anybody can explain .
But somehow i like it this Way .

Regards !

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Backi, check this out on PM 28.4.0! >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 21#1020121
Attachments
addons_archive.jpg
(34.35 KiB) Downloaded 647 times

a_salty_dogg

#19 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@ backi

The current latest Ublock Origin version compatible with Palemoon can be found by going to this page and scrolling down to the first entry headed (in large blue font, thus) "firefox-legacy-x.xx.x.x", then clicking on "uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi" and installing in the usual way.

EDIT - Sorry Semme, our posts crossed! :oops:
Though many thanks to you and 666philb for that link and add-on, didn't know about it

backi

#20 Post by backi »

Hi Salty Dog -----Semme !

Thanks for Advice ....... so i got all my Add-ons working on Palemoon 28.4 .

But........still not convinced from Version 28.4 -----
Made some Test....... even Palemoon 27.9.4 is definitely snappier----
Using 64 Bit Versions on a Dell Precision M6600 with enough Horsepower .....
As a ( former) hard-core Palemoon User ..... sorry but i have to say..... Firefox Quantum is a Beast...........can`t be beat by Palemoon (in my Case ) ......lightning fast .....easy on Cpu .....low on ram (on a 64Bit Os ....posting now from it on Devuan Dog with E17( in Reality E22) Enlightenment Desktop ) .

Seems i am back now to Firefox .....unless someone can give me some real good Reasons to keep Palemoon which i doubt that it will happen .(means .....make it faster )
Probably Palemoon is better for older Laptops which is (no longer ) the Case for me .
Maybe later (again) .

Edit :
O.K Palemoon 27.9.4 and Firefox are nearly equal fast .......but 28.4 still a Problem Child .