Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 May 2019, 00:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Using a 64-bit OS with only 1GB RAM?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2019, 03:02    Post subject:  

After a little digging, I found that the version of get_libreoffice which is included in XenialPup 7.5 (version 0.41) is apparently broken, which caused the problem I was seeing (it would quit immediately after offering the choice between stable or development versions of LibreOffice):

rerwin wrote:
When I tried get_libreoffice in xenialpup 7.5, it exited immediately. I found and fixed the problem, yielding the attached version, 0.42. I also prevented an initial nonsense version entry from appearing and added history entries for versions 0.40 and 0.41, making assumptions from the changes I saw.

As for previous versions, this one needs to be uploaded to pet_packages-noarch on ibiblio.

The failure was due to the use of "grep -w" with a directory name as the pattern -- /mnt/devsave. Since that is not a "word", because it contains nonalphanumeric characters, nothing is found. Apparently, that was acceptable in the past, but no longer.

UPDATE 5/20/18:
Because 0.42 fixed only for 64_bit puppies and lost 32_bit support, I replaced it with 0.43 for both architectures and also fixed the splash messages reporting download failures, to include the failing file name.

(source: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=988460#988460)

I'll admit I haven't tried the updated version, though, because I've already grabbed a recent LibreOffice SFS from the forum. Embarassed

greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2019, 03:32    Post subject: Re: Using a 64-bit OS with only 1GB RAM?  

Makoto wrote:
(the tower, more or less: Compaq Presario SR5050NX Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support).
Did you manage to find extra RAM for this tower? Or is it too expensive to get?
Makoto

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2019, 07:41    Post subject:  

I haven't seen anything locally (I've checked since making the OP), unfortunately.
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2019, 11:52    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
A weird problem with PaleMoon is that right-click menus and child windows (bookmarks, preferences) do NOT graphically update, and I may be stuck with the same right-click menu throughout the session (no highlighting, either).

I have had a weird problem with my PM that may be related. The front page of a website was normal, but the graphics in it's forum suddenly went to text only! I don't know if you have the problem constantly, or if it limited to https-sites, as it was for me. It seems PM's default setup is to react even on a non-critical mixed content related to the https security sertificate. A small icon appear in front of the https in the address line (I didn't notice it at all) and some content goes into text mode. See picture of the icon and it's text popup when clicked. Normally, I get a warning that ask if I want to continue if the https sertificate is corrupted, but these small deviations from the setup in the original sertificate is not picked up by other brosers. It was permanently solved by toggling the setup in about:config:

security.mixed_content.block_active_content now set to false

It may help in your situation. You can enter the word block in about:config and see other related setup lines.

BTW, if you run about:memory in PM, choose Show memory reports -> click Measure, and scroll all the way down to the bottom 3 lines, there is some interesting info related to you question on memory. Mouse-over on the text will tell you about the meaning of the values shown. Nice feature!

If you run about:about, it will give an overview of all the settings that can be modified, if you want to get a laugh, run about:robots! Very Happy
block.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   14.86 KB
 Viewed   335 Time(s)

block.jpg

Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2019, 04:58    Post subject:  

Under XenialPup 64, PM displays the pages without problems, mostly... it's just when there's things like a dropdown, right-click menu or child window, that things (items on the list, in the case of the dropdown), suddenly aren't being refreshed properly.

I suppose it could possibly be that it's not a fresh profile - I normally store my Mozilla (and PM) profiles outside my save files, and symlink to them. The PM profile works without problems in Precise, but has the odd problems in Xenial. I've only tried linking to my email profile, as well, but Thunderbird doesn't exhibit similar issues in XenialPup.

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2019, 05:19    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
PM displays the pages without problems, mostly... it's just when there's things like a dropdown, right-click menu or child window, that things (items on the list, in the case of the dropdown), suddenly aren't being refreshed properly.

I can confirm that there is that problem with PM, same here in various puppies. In right click menu I can't sometimes copy the link location for this problem and so I select the text and middle click to paste.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2019, 12:48    Post subject:  

Could you please post a link to a web page where this happens?
I want to see if it does it for me using Pale Moon 28.2.2 (64bit).

watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 04:06    Post subject:  

I got a screenshot of a malfunction of this kind. I copied an address in the browser and then right clicking in this forum to paste is not possible.
pic.png
 Description   
 Filesize   112.78 KB
 Viewed   244 Time(s)

pic.png

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 21:28    Post subject:  

Using latest PaleMoon 28.2.2

Seems to work for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSHzXsE_zN4

If you are trying to copy from the address slot at the top of the browser window.
I highlight the address.
Right click copy.
Right click paste into a posting on forum.

This is actually coming from the clipboard.

I have had times that the clipboard gets a little messed up, but removing all from clipboard fixes it.
Could check the clipboard preferences you are using.

watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2019, 13:49    Post subject:  

The right-click menu in palemoon 28 is affected by malfunctions when you use Tab Mix Plus extension. Disabling the extension the malfuctions disappear.

EDIT: further testing suggests that Tab Mix Plus is not the only culprit of malfuctions of the right click menu in palemoon 28. Started with a new profile and palemoon 28.3.0 and the problem was not definetely gone. I think this is the case of bad behaviour of palemoon with intel graphics. Choosing vesa driver the problem seems gone at this moment. Feedback from other users could help.

Last edited by watchdog on Fri 18 Jan 2019, 01:07; edited 1 time in total
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019, 20:35    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Started with a new profile and palemoon 20.3.0 and the problem was not definetely gone.

Psst, did you remember to delete the /root/.cache/moonchild productions/ before testing a new one ?

Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019, 07:07    Post subject:  

For those having problems with the right-click menu (and perhaps the Preferences and Library windows) not displaying properly in Pale Moon 28.x, like I was, there's apparently an issue that may occur on systems with Intel Graphics hardware.

6502coder has posted a fix here. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a fix for those having problems with editing text on the location bar, at this time.

Dry Falls

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019, 11:20    Post subject: right click copy/paste  

right click copy/paste issue seems to me a problem not specific to pale moon but gtk3 itself. Helps to have a clipboard manager running. QT5 browsers don't exhibit the problem.
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019, 13:11    Post subject:  

I don't think Pale Moon currently uses GTK3, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with copy/paste.

watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019, 15:57    Post subject:  

Palemoon is built against gtk+2. Right-click menu' is not properly working on my intel graphics machine. To paste you have to use sometimes the Menu-Bar Edit at top of the palemoon window. No problems in precise. I also have experimented with a precise chroot jail to run palemoon: it runs flawlessly without problems with precise graphic libraries. I think it's a xorg's problem.
Page 2 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: