Make a .pet equivalent to a .delta for system updates

Miscellaneous tools
peebee

Make a .pet equivalent to a .delta for system updates

#1 Post by peebee »

The attached archive should be extracted into the same Linux file system directory that also contains a base .iso and a .delta file which updates the base .iso to a new version. There should only be one .delta in the directory.

The utility should be run in a terminal - either by

Code: Select all

./iso_delta2pet_v1.sh 
or
bash iso_delta2pet_v1.sh
The resulting .pet may be installed into a system using the base .iso to make equivalent updates to those made by applying the .delta to the .iso and swapping the .sfs that have changed.

The .pet may be useful for various "non-straightforward-frugal" installs - e.g. CD/DVD installs, full installs, remasters etc.

With thanks to @perdido for original idea and basis for identifying the changes.

And jrb for the enhanced pet:
"You can right click on a .delta file and as long as the .delta and matching .iso are in the same directory it will produce a .pet in the same directory."
Attachments
iso_delta2pet-1.3.pet
Enhanced version from jrb
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Screenshot.png
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 1676 times
iso_delta2pet_v1.tar.gz
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 05:59, edited 6 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

peebee, you and perdido are so close to being angels that you should watch out for itching in your shoulderblades! :D
But some questions: (i'm not very good at reading code)
Do you still need the original non-modified .iso for making the .pet?
Will the .pet overwrite that .iso in the directory?
Can the resulting .pet then be used to add files to an already modified version of the .iso?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

tallboy wrote:But some questions: (i'm not very good at reading code)
Do you still need the original non-modified .iso for making the .pet?
Will the .pet overwrite that .iso in the directory?
Can the resulting .pet then be used to add files to an already modified version of the .iso?
1. yes
2. no
3. I think so - but untested - however if you have modified any of the files in the pet then those modifications would be overwritten by installing the pet....

somewhat new territory.....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

somewhat new territory.....
also called progress? :D

oui

#5 Post by oui »

dear peebee,

I know, I did observe that you are a radical ub fan, no, lover, and most of the ub's are distros of (middle or very) short live time and very little archivage.

but if we consider deb's, having long time living cycles, including the experimental and testing subcycles, of sometimes about 5..10 years with high compatibiity whithin a long part of that time

what happens with publications amended with suche .delta's?

new .iso before next stage of delta

or

.delta on the last precedent

and what happens to secure the integrity?

kind regards

peebee

#6 Post by peebee »

oui wrote:what happens with publications amended with suche .delta's?
or
kind regards
I am NOT a ubuntu fan - very far from it in fact....
There may come a time when it is appropriate to make a new base iso....
The integrity of updates is no better and no worse than the integrity of the original woof-ce builds.....no guarantees are offered :wink:

oui

#7 Post by oui »

Hi peebee
peebee wrote:
oui wrote:what happens with publications amended with suche .delta's?
or
kind regards
I am NOT a ubuntu fan - very far from it in fact....
I only did suppose it as actually and shortly in the past you did spend a lot of energy with ub versions (like barry on some now, a few time later, as exotic appearing short time versions of ub like unicorn...). having used debian at the same place, DVD's collections of binaries + sources would permit until yet or years later to maintain in form private remasterisations very being useful daily for those users having do that. for unicorn no working depository any more and later the same thing for diverse other ub's rel's coming soon into the statement of old releases...

so I find fun to get an actualisation's system like those .delta's using simultaneous ub's!

we need long time depositories of ub or better DVD archives more than update's being traditionally only given by deb or slack (if slack continues to do that).

kind regards

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ oui:-

Talking about 'short-term' Ubuntu releases, one of my current favourites is Pemasu's Upup 'Raring'.....the 9-month life-span of which expired before I even joined the forum.

As you're aware, Ubuntu tend to observe the EOL very strictly with these short-termers. Upon expiry of the 9-month support period, the repositories are promptly shut-down, disconnected, and 'archived' (in such a way that they're inaccessible without re-writing the PPM's configuration files to point to the 'new' old-repository location.....a somewhat complex feat that is beyond most Puppians).

This being the case, I've set Raring up entirely with .pet and SFS packages. This works extremely well, and also has the advantage that my software 'library' tends to be 'fixed in time', and doesn't constantly 'break' upon the application of updates.

Raring has also been seriously modified by the substitution of many newer utilities for their older equivalents (pMount, EventManager, Puppyapps Default Applications Chooser, the Alsa Sound Wizard w/Multiple SoundCard Wizard, to name but a few).....which, in many cases, are simply a case of substituting one script (or scripts) for another, since many are self-contained. Just my method of dealing with an older, unsupported release.....but it works for me.

Mike. :wink:

tallboy

#9 Post by tallboy »

I think the Bionic Beaver should be 'puppyfied' as much as possible. Ubuntu says it will be supported until 2028, so with some gentle massage, it could be a favorite Puppy for a looong time.

peebee

#10 Post by peebee »

tallboy wrote:I think the Bionic Beaver should be 'puppyfied' as much as possible. Ubuntu says it will be supported until 2028, so with some gentle massage, it could be a favorite Puppy for a looong time.
2023 is the more likely date...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
Extended Security Maintenance
Extended Security Maintenance is paid option through Ubuntu Advantage to get extended security updates.
Version Supported Packages Start of ESM date # of Years End of Life date
Ubuntu 18.04 ESM To be announced April 2023 5 years April 2028

oui

#11 Post by oui »

tallboy wrote:I think the Bionic Beaver should be 'puppyfied' as much as possible. Ubuntu says it will be supported until 2028, so with some gentle massage, it could be a favorite Puppy for a looong time.
peebee wrote:2023 is the more likely date...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
Extended Security Maintenance
Extended Security Maintenance is paid option through Ubuntu Advantage to get extended security updates.
Version Supported Packages Start of ESM date # of Years End of Life date
Ubuntu 18.04 ESM To be announced April 2023 5 years April 2028
yes, if it becomes so, I really agree!

using Skype, I effective use UPup Bionic Beaver (UPupBB) 18.05 (May 2018) as Skype requires 64 bit

being 64 bit and having a "good"size immediately (without some extensions, such permitting to use numerous 32 bits app's being yet very frequent to be classical and as such better (*1 ...) it is a very good choice.

above delta updates can have / get a function in this context of course

(*1 my restrictions result perhaps in the evidence, that only rarely developers, later, after weeks or months of presence of her new releases, as user did create or find adequate extra software, make an additive in the first posting of the discussions thread about such adequate depositories or isolate but important / very interesting applications known to promote and make more easy the use of her new creation! RSH did go a step wider and maintain such a depository years about more than 400 hundred dotsfs (and, more rare but existent, dotpup's) for his Lazy Pup's. It was of course the max. comfort as the most of them was really started / tested for the use in Lazy's and no avoid dependencies or uncompatibilities (stage of the main libraries) was to be to fear...

perdido

#12 Post by perdido »

The following walk-thru was for running the script from terminal.
I recommend using the .PET that is now available in the first post.
It has ROX right-click options to run the iso_delta2pet_v1.sh and
greatly simplifies the process. see this post for more info

-----------------------------------------

Walk-through of creating a .pet using peebee's iso_delta2pet utility.
This was run using upupbb-18.05

:arrow: If you wish to run this script in precise 5.7.1 please see this post

1.Download the script from the first post

2.Extract the script (it is a real .tar.gz archive), use rox filer or another program. The extracted file name will be named iso_delta2pet_v1.sh

3.Copy the iso_delta2pet.sh into your working directory. It has to be a linux partition, cannot be a windows partition

4.You now need to download and copy the base .iso (original .iso) and the .delta upgrade file into the same working directory where you put the extracted iso_delta2pet script.
For example, upupbb-18.05.iso and upupbb-18.05.iso___upupbb-18.05+22.iso.delta (latest upupbb as of this writing, the name of later releases of the .delta will be different)

5.After you have the iso_delta2pet.sh, the .iso file, and the .delta file together in the same directory you are ready to run the script and create the upgrade .pet file.

6.In a terminal window, navigate to your working directory and run the script in a terminal by typing

Code: Select all

./iso_delta2pet_v1.sh
or
bash iso_delta2pet_v1.sh

Then wait as the script makes a pet file of the updates.

&

It will probably take a few minutes to make the .pet, be patient!

&

A pet file named updates_4_upupbb-18.05+22.iso.pet should be in the working directory when done.
Using a different .iso or .delta will result in a different .pet name.

EDIT: Added info about running script in precise puppy 5.7.1

Last edited by perdido on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 17:47, edited 3 times in total.

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

Mike Walsh wrote:Talking about 'short-term' Ubuntu releases, one of my current favourites is Pemasu's Upup 'Raring'.
I have used UPUP 3.9.9.2 Raring since it was released. still do after extensive upgrading in some areas.

I ran a web reverse proxy server using upup 3.9.9.2 on an eMachine 2002 that at one point had an uptime of 432 days 18 hrs 3 minutes when I eventually shut it down for vacuum cleaning and fan replacement...then another 167 days of uptime until a storm caused power outage and shortly thereafter found a dumpster machine which was newer (2008) to replace it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... cf263e222e

I ran Apache 2.2 and used it to assign the reverse proxies across my network LAN with up to 5 machines each with it's own domain name.

UPUP 3.9.9.2 Raring is one of the most stable and fast reliable operating systems I ever worked with.

tallboy

#14 Post by tallboy »

perdido, great work! :D
Can the resulting .pet be added to a remastered version running from RAM, which then can save the session on a multisession CD/DVD, or will it only work against the original .iso?
Will there be unexpected results if the update .pet look for files that are removed or replaced with another version as part of the remastering?
I am using a PC at a different location right now, so I haven't tested it yet.

perdido

#15 Post by perdido »

tallboy wrote:perdido, great work! :D
Can the resulting .pet be added to a remastered version running from RAM, which then can save the session on a multisession CD/DVD, or will it only work against the original .iso?
Will there be unexpected results if the update .pet look for files that are removed or replaced with another version as part of the remastering?
I am using a PC at a different location right now, so I haven't tested it yet.
Hi tallboy, :D

I think peebee did a wonderful job with this utility.

Will try to guess how the pet should act in a multisession CD/DVD install as I have never used that method.

The pet should be able to be used in a remaster of the operating system it is made from. I would guess it is going to act just like any other pet and
has the potential to override existing custom remastered files if they have the exact same name.

I wouldn't worry too much about that occuring as the delta is just updated files for the core system and shouldn't touch additional libs that have been
added by the user in a remaster. If something strange happens, you can always remove the pet if needed?

The only problem I can see is if a lib gets updated to a version that is too new for a currently installed program. The core programs should not
be affected by that as they get updated from woofce with the delta

Or maybe turn the pet into an sfs so it can be unloaded if needed? I'm not familiar with how a multisession CD/DVD install handles sfs packages, I guess the
sfs goes into /mnt/home/ and can be loaded and unloaded without gobbling up more space on the CD, but maybe I'm badly wrong on that.

As peebee alluded in one of his replies, it is unchartered territory :)

oui

#16 Post by oui »

tallboy wrote:perdido, great work! :D
ii agree, thank you very much!

tallboy

#17 Post by tallboy »

perdido wrote:As peebee alluded in one of his replies, it is unchartered territory
I'll report back as soon as I have played around with it.
One additional problem is that the woof-CE versions of functions4puppy and savesessionDVD are modified to not accept CDs. :(

perdido

#18 Post by perdido »

tallboy wrote:
perdido wrote:As peebee alluded in one of his replies, it is unchartered territory
I'll report back as soon as I have played around with it.
One additional problem is that the woof-CE versions of functions4puppy and savesessionDVD are modified to not accept CDs. :(
You might want to report that in thebugs forum.
Looks like a bug due to not being tested more than it being a deliberate change.

jrb

#19 Post by jrb »

I took the liberty of adding some script to the beginning and end of iso_delta2pet_v1.tar.gz and converting it to a .pet. You can right click on a .delta file and as long as the .delta and matching .iso are in the same directory it will produce a .pet in the same directory.
Attachments
iso_delta2pet-1.2.pet
Right click on .delta to create .pet
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

peebee

#20 Post by peebee »

jrb wrote:I took the liberty of adding some script to the beginning and end of iso_delta2pet_v1.tar.gz and converting it to a .pet. You can right click on a .delta file and as long as the .delta and matching .iso are in the same directory it will produce a .pet in the same directory.
Thanks @JRB - added to post #1