How to ssh to Wary Pup?

Using applications, configuring, problems
uxhamby

How to ssh to Wary Pup?

#1 Post by uxhamby »

Hi,

I have revived an old computer, with wary pup, for a specific purpose: python based mqtt logging experiments. Wary was selected by trial and error for best running linux distro for this old box.

It would be most handy if I could ssh or rdp/vnc into this old box which is in my basement, from elsewhere on my lan. (ie a comfy chair) I only really need command line access.

I have installed openssh and tried to ssh into my old box but I have yet to succeed.

Locally I am told "Openssl version mismatch. Built against 90805f you have 1000004f" when I attempt 'ssh spot localhost' or similar.

when I run openssl itself, I see version 1.0.0d 8 feb 2011.

I have tried updating my pet repositories and reinstalling. I have the latest available files, yet still I get this version issue reported.

If I try an ssh connection from a computer remote my old box, I just get a terse 'connection not allowed' or similar message.

Help or advice please.

ssh is pretty fundamental, even my most challenged raspberry pi's can host ssh connections effortlessly from a setup point of view.

Is there some idealogical issue with puppy being intended for single local user, that I am not appreciating here?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian H,
Uxbridge Ontario Canada

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

This collection of the sshd files might be more compatible.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxr2816vlcnz1 ... ar.gz?dl=1

ssh is very useful but the locals here seem to shy away from it

hope that helps

Mike

uxhamby

SSH ! BooYa.

#3 Post by uxhamby »

I did eventually get SSH up, running and receptive to logons. FWIW, here is what I did.

First, I installed the xauth package using the pkg manager.

Then I downloaded and installed a pet called 'openssh-5.1p1-SSHD+Dev.pet' which seemed to put the sshd executable file onto my file system but didn't start it.

I found the path to it and started it, at the local command prompt, manually.

From that point on, I have been able to ssh into my puppy oldbox.

SSHD seems to need manual start after each reboot but I should be able to automate that pretty easily.

Also, I find that my .bashrc isn't considered when I log in via ssh so I have found that issuing 'source .bashrc' as my first command is called for to set up my aliases and to get my prompt into shape. Likely there is a file somewhere that does this for ssh logons but for now, I am happy.

Thanks for the help & suggestions.

Brian H.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

No problem.

You may need to use xhost + in a terminal
to get xforwarding working and perhaps tweak the xwin script as well...pups vary.

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Tue 15 Jan 2019, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mike:-
mikeb wrote:ssh is very useful but the locals here seem to shy away from it
Mmm... I don't think it's so much a case of 'shying away from it', as one of two things:-

1 ) A lot of Puppians simply don't understand what ssh is, much less what it does. The sum total of my own comprehension is that it's a way of establishing a secure, encrypted connection between two points.

2 ) Even more of those same Puppians simply don't have a use-case for it.

------------------------------------------

I definitely get the impression, from perusing older parts of some of the 'established' Linux forums I belong to (LQ.org springs to mind here; they even have a very busy, dedicated server sub-forum), that in the early days of Linux (late 90's/early noughties) setting up a personal server was almost a 'rite of passage' for many Linux users. A way of 'proving' to the community that you knew your stuff, and more importantly, understood how to use it....

(Many long-term LQ members appear to be from the IT 'pro'/sysadmin community, so this is hardly surprising; it's an established part of their regular, daily workload, after all.)

Servers, of course, invariably run 'headless', and thus have no running 'X' session to communicate with.....which lets out the various remote desktop apps out there. SSH, in this kind of scenario, is about the only suitable way to control such a beast remotely.

Our community being as it is, GUIs are preferred by the majority. Even myself, despite becoming more familiar with the command-line as time goes by.....a 'hangover' from my many moons as a Windoze user. And enjoying messing around with YAD as I do, I'm discovering how easy it is to combine the commands with the ease-of-use.... :)

A nice GUI to simplify usage of SSH for those with little or no Linux experience.....now, there's an idea. Hmmm...

Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Well it was very handy with a family network for example..... turning off a machine remotely, file access to anywhere through sshfs (ftp seamless file sharing) and my favourite was being able to run programs from other machines and conveniently not disturbing the user and sometimes to take advantage of an idle cpu to process a video etc etc. The original remote desktop in other words.
Most distros include ssh ability as it is useful and small just like nfs is.

Case for the defense :D

mike