DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:
/snipped

EDIT: Maybe I see now what you mean, perhaps it would be good to exclude the kernel .squashfs from merging with the main .squashfs :?: :idea:

Fred
Yes, exactly. I think it would break things, wouldn't it?
It's experimental to have separate kernel .squashfs, I thought it might be easier to upgrade or use another kernel this way.
I can't see why it would break things because it's not registered by apt/dpkg (same as when created module with apt2sfs, small chance it will break things because dpkg simply doesn't know about the contents of the .squashfs module).
Only disadvantage I can see (in case of remaster and merging with 01-filesytem.squashfs) is that you need to manually remove the older kernel in /lib/modules if you upgrade/install new kernel.

@backi, thanks, yes, do find some nice "wild" bugs ! :wink:
This is just preview of the new 'Dog' I'd like to focus on in the future.
Predictable would be "BusterDog" (buster becomes new Debian stable this year).
But I sympathise more with the 'systemd free' Devuan

There's plenty of time to experiment and/or discuss until the new Devuan stable arrives, so any requests, opinions or other feedback is very welcome.
For example, maybe better include the newest Palemoon instead of Firefox, to keep things as light as possible.
(and just noticed that the latest Palemoon has self-updating function now, I like that).

Fred

zagreb999

#22 Post by zagreb999 »

regards!

fred did good job!

it is essential -fundamental to have separate kernel!

(also puppy has!)

keniv

#23 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
As my favourite dog is bionic dog I thought I would try devuan as it was from the same kenel so to speak. As the machine I am using is an oldish HP CPU P4 2.4GHz with 1.8GB of ram I thought I might have trouble with the 4.19.0-1 kernel based on what was said in the early posts. However, it seems to be fine. I have not had much time to test but it seems very good for an alpha release. I only have one thing to report. I was transfering audio files from one flash drive to another. I had the contents of both drives open in two sepatate boxes on the one desktop. The process froze. I could not close either box though I was able to shutdown as normal without any complaints from the machine. I have repeated what I was doing and have not had further problems so this may have been a one of but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#24 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for testing Ken !
I'll try to reproduce what you mentioned about copying from one flash drive to another, thanks for the report.

For info @all this is called "Alpha" not only because of experimental setup (e.g. separate kernel .squashfs module) but also because the Devuan "Beowulf" (testing) branch is a work in progress (but should become "stable" at some point in this year).

Fred

keniv

#25 Post by keniv »

Can I just ask a question about the desktop clock. On going to Menu-Accessories-Conky clock you are given the choise to disable the clock.
Disabling the clock works but as "one time only". It reappears when you reboot. I would have thought this would stay dissabled until it was re-enabled. I did wonder if stuff was not being saved to changes.dat but I've checked this and it's OK. Is the one time only behaviour what I should expect?

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#26 Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:Can I just ask a question about the desktop clock. On going to Menu-Accessories-Conky clock you are given the choise to disable the clock.
Disabling the clock works but as "one time only". It reappears when you reboot. I would have thought this would stay dissabled until it was re-enabled. I did wonder if stuff was not being saved to changes.dat but I've checked this and it's OK. Is the one time only behaviour what I should expect?

Regards,

Ken.
Ah, yes, it should stay disabled then after reboot, I'll look into that, thanks !

Fred

keniv

#27 Post by keniv »

@fredx181
I have not spent much time on DevuanDog recently but I had another go today. I thought I had set up the keyboard to UK but turns out I hadn't. I had used set locals and generate locals and after a while this exits showing EN_GBUTF-8. I then discovered I still had a US keyboard. I then went to system tools, set keyboard, layout. This seems to show my keyboard as "PC Gereric 105 tecles" which I think is in French!. If I choose "OK" to this I get a list of choices which are all in cerlylic script except for the last one which is shown as "Other". If I choose "Other" I get a list of other countries which again seem to be in French. This list doed not contain UK or GB or anything which looks as if it would allow me to choose a UK keyboard. I have gone through this process a number of times but have had no luck. As the keyboard I have is an HP keyboard I have selected one of these but get the same result at the end of the process. Each time the process completes it shows I have a US keyboard. I seem to remember going through the same proceedure with BionicDog but this worked OK. This is a bit more of a problem than the other issues. Is there a way to sort this out?

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Updated Devuandog 2019-01-26

#28 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated Devuandog 2019-01-26 ***

Download links here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/ ... /README.md

Changes and fixes:
- Fixed conkyclock, when clock disabled (from Menu > Accessoires > Conkyclock), autostarting the clock at login will be disabled also now.
- The initrd1.xz (for porteus-boot style) is very much modified, perhaps better chance that it works for hardware that it didn't work on earlier).
- Other browser, Firefox-ESR replaced with Palemoon.
- Added support for applications that cannot run as root, package installed is "run-as-user":
Included Menu entries for: Chromium, Vlc and Google-chrome (last is for 64-bit only).
First time run it will install the application, once installed it will run as unprivileged user (e.g. puppy or guest)
Also included Menu > System > "Run program as (unprivileged) user" to be able to run any application as unprivileged user
It runs modified "run-as-spot" script from Fatdog by jamesbond.
(see screenshots below)

EDIT: Forgot to say (to mention the source) the construction support for applications that cannot run as root was taken from Slax by Tomas M.

Fred
Attachments
rau.png
Run any application as normal user (not-root)
(143.31 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
vlc-rau.png
Run Vlc as user
(160.22 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 26 Jan 2019, 19:49, edited 3 times in total.

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ken, just updated Devuandog ISO's, as you can see above, I'll look later into the issue you described, thanks !

Fred

keniv

#30 Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
I've just installed your update. I tried to configure the keyboard. This time all was in English and seemed to work and when exiting told me I was using a UK keyboard. I have tested this and all is well so that's perhaps a problem you can forget about. I have not done much except set up wifi and palemoon.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ken, I think I see what was causing the problem for you at first with the keyboard-layout setting, must have to do with changing locale first.
I tested by changing locale to Dutch, then ran keyboard-layout and got the same as you described, see pic.

Although I have no idea yet what's wrong exactly (the fonts are russian (and french), I think :roll: ), an easy workaround is (to show english):

Code: Select all

LANG=C keyboard-layout
Thanks again for testing !

EDIT: Looks like there's a bug in the newer version of package "keyboard-configuration", installed the (older) Stretch version and problem is solved (showing all in my language):
--link removed--
EDIT2: No, the stretch version breaks console-setup, so no option.

Fred
Attachments
keyboard-layout-after-changing-locale.png
keyboard-layout after changing locale
(90.66 KiB) Downloaded 935 times

zagreb999

#32 Post by zagreb999 »

in stretchdog xfce keyboard-layout setting
all is ok!

regards

keniv

#33 Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
I think I see what was causing the problem for you at first with the keyboard-layout setting, must have to do with changing locale first.
I tested by changing locale to Dutch, then ran keyboard-layout and got the same as you described, see pic.

Although I have no idea yet what's wrong exactly (the fonts are russian (and french), I think Rolling Eyes ), an easy workaround is (to show english):
Code:
LANG=C keyboard-layout
I'm glad you could reproduce my problem. I assume I did not get it with your update as I tried to set up the key board first. Thanks for the info on getting a UK keyboard from the command line.
In your update you changed from firefox to palemoon. I am having trouble in setting up palemoon. I've used it before so I don't think it's me. If I choose "Preferences" I cannot open the the boxes to by clicking on them. It opens on "General" and I can make changes to this like change the startup page. I have a similar problem with the bookmarks toolbar. I can right click on an item and can choose "Properties", however I cannot left click anywhere in the name panel to edit the it. I also noticed when the palemoon "start me" startup page appears it runs my CPU at almost 100%. I have set the startup page to duckduckgo lite. I usually use this. CPU is 18-25%, ram 256 of 1690MB. Is "start me" very demanding on resources?

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#34 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ken, thanks for the feedback, I have not much experience with Palemoon, thought it would be more light than the newest Firefox (saw some reports on this forum that Firefox Quantum uses extreme amount of RAM in some cases, even much more than Chromium or Chrome).
Could it be that earlier Palemoon versions don't have the problems you mentioned ?

I'll test Palemoon some more and get back later about it.

Fred

backi

#35 Post by backi »

Hi Keniv !
Encountered all the same Problems with the new 28.x Palemoon you did.
Don't know why .
Maybe delete your old .moonchildproduction Folder and start from Scratch ????----(but make a Backup).
Maybe my Machine (single Core ---1Gig Ram ) is to old/weak to handle the " new" Palemoon.
So i simply returned back to Palemoon 27.9.4. It just flies on my old Clunker ....I am happy with it and do no longer worry about those Quirks with Palemonn 28.x.

Regards !.

6502coder

#36 Post by 6502coder »

@backi, keniv

Regarding your problems with Preferences in PaleMoon 28, see solution here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 95#1015395

backi

#37 Post by backi »

Hi 6502coder !

Tried again Palemoon 28.3.1 ..with Advice from here :
the new palemoon seems to have issues with some intel drivers and you can't select items in palemoons preferences. a fix is type about:config into the address bar and set browser.preferences.animateFadeIn to true
Seems to help.....now even works faster !

Edit:-------or maybe not (faster)

Probably keep Palemoon 27.9.4

keniv

#38 Post by keniv »

@Fredx181
Thanks Fred, It's not what I experience when using palemoon previously (see below).

@backi
Encountered all the same Problems with the new 28.x Palemoon you did.

Yes I use Palemoon 27.9.4 SEE on an old Toshiba laptop ( 1xCPU 800MHz 320 MB) It worked well on this and was the only browser I could use that could be considered up to date. I am posting from it now. I was sorry when updating it was discontinued. Did not give any of the problems I've had with 28. I do know the SEE version was for less well speced machines.

@6502coder
Regarding your problems with Preferences in PaleMoon 28, see solution here:
Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it tonight. I'll see if I can get the improvements backi got. Even being able to set it up would be a big help.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:@Fredx181
Thanks Fred, It's not what I experience when using palemoon previously (see below).
OK, tested now and didn't experience the problem with the Preferences setting (apparently I don't have the intel graphics that may cause it), but, indeed, as you said the "start.me" page consumes too much CPU, and not only at first time run, btw.
I'd like to include a modern and up-to-date browser (and as light as possible) in DevuanDog, hopefully in the next Palemoon version these issues are solved, we'll see...

@backi and @6502coder, thanks for the info.

Fred

keniv

#40 Post by keniv »

Hi All,
I've used the link provided by 6502 coder an have set up palemoon but I still can't edit the names in the bookmarks toolbar. I have tried to install ublock via Tools-Add-ons but I'm only offered "ublock origin updater" (but not ublock origin) and "ABPrime". I have tried to install ublock using the methods in this link (sorry I can copy but am not given the option to paste the link). The site is Palemoon Forum and thread is "How to install uBlock Origin in Palemoon 27" This fails. I could not find a method for palemoon 28. Has anybody got experience of using ABPrime. I've not even heard of it. For me there is already a lot I don't like about 28 as compared with 27 or even the version of firefox in the first iso.

@Fredx181
I'd like to include a modern and up-to-date browser (and as light as possible) in DevuanDog, hopefully in the next Palemoon version these issues are solved, we'll see...
Do we know if there is a palemoon update due? The 27 version I use is, I feel, better than firefox.

Regards,

Ken.