How to watch HTML5 (or any) videos in Pale Moon?

Booting, installing, newbie
JFB

How to watch HTML5 (or any) videos in Pale Moon?

#1 Post by JFB »

I am using TahrPup 6.0.5, and I'm using Pale Moon 28.2.2, I like this distro and the browser, but I frequently run into "Video not supported", HTML5 not playable, or something like that... Anyway, is there some way that I can get whatever it takes to play any video that I might come across on the InterWebs? Thanks...
Last edited by JFB on Fri 28 Dec 2018, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

"Video not supported"
That is probably a Flashplayer based video.
Installing Flashplayer should make those work.
Getflash is in Tahrpup 6.0.5, but it probably will not work, because they keep changing the location of Flash Player on the internet.

nstall this program

Getflash 1.7.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 815#960815
After installing Getflash.
Run from menu->Internet->Getflash install flash player
This program will find the latest version of Flash Player and install.

Also, has option to automatically update Flash Player.

HTML5 video's should just work.

Can you post a link to video that does not work for HTML5 so we can try it.
Also a link to one that gives "Video not supported"

Pale Moon>Preferences>Content>Video
Just have all options checked.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

If you get an html5 error it may be that your browser does not support VP9 videos. You do have the latest Palemoon (which I dont use anymore) so don't know if that is the problem.

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

I have seen many cautions about using Flash with PaleMoon, I don't think PaleMoon and Flash are friends at all!
JFB, have you set any PaleMoon options with about:config?
Do you use a copy of one of the large repos of unvanted addresses in /etc/hosts?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

Using palemoon 28.2.2
with noscript 2.9.0.11

html5 should be automatic in palemoon 28.2.2
Palemoon 28 handles html5 automatic, you can't turn it off and only 3 allowed adjustments in about:config
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To watch youtube videos two sites have to load so they can run javascript

youtube.com
googlevideo.com

I use noscript and have to allow them manually, thats how i know of them being needed.

Those same two sites were needed before youtube went all html5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at the taskbar menu Tools--->Add-ons--->Plugins
to see your installed flash player(s) and the permissione on the right side of the screen

The plugins have 3 modes
Ask to activate
Always activate
Never activate

Mine are set to Ask to activate
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For flash player support, look at the taskbar menu Tools--->Preferences--->Applications
for the permissions of all filetypes and media and how they are handled

The html5 rendering should all be automatic, under the hood stuff.

JFB

#6 Post by JFB »

The problem seems to be that Pale Moon will not play H.264 videos. At least that's what Youtube tells me. Any thoughts? Thanks...

a_salty_dogg

#7 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Hello JFB,

Have you tried upgrading to Tahrpup 6.06? Mikeslr's superb build can be found here.

There's definitely "something" missing in Tahrpup 6.05 and earlier which prevents certain html5 videos playing in Palemoon, though personally I only ever experience "video not supported" and similar error messages with Twitter videos and not in Youtube.
Whatever that "something" is, it's certainly now provided by default in Tahr 6.06, Xenial, and UPupBB builds, in which Palemoon plays all videos faultlessly (in my experience).

Alternatively, you could try installing Light 49 or Firefox 60.4.0esr browsers, both of which run OOTB in Tahrpup, for your streaming video needs, though you'd probably also need to install OscarTalks' apulse.pet from here to get audio playing in webpages.

Good luck!

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

In a late version of /etc/hosts from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, the video related blocked addresses in previous versions, as shown below, were commented out for the reasons given:

# 0.0.0.0 livepassdl.conviva.com #[affects videos]
# 0.0.0.0 redirector.googlevideo.com #[affects video playback]
# 0.0.0.0 s0.2mdn.net #[affects video stream]
# 0.0.0.0 static.2mdn.net #[affects Youtube]
# 0.0.0.0 www.youtube-nocookie.com #[affects various videos]

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

JFB wrote:The problem seems to be that Pale Moon will not play H.264 videos. At least that's what Youtube tells me. Any thoughts? Thanks...
H264 is an mp4 format and has nothing to do with html5 (VP8,9,10) streaming. MP4 are normally streamed via the browser plugin for the media player on your system. For Tahr this may be VLC. For mp4 streaming you don't need the latest browsers like you need with html5 streaming. As far as I know youtube only streams in html5 these days though.

thinkpadfreak

#10 Post by thinkpadfreak »

JFB wrote:
> The problem seems to be that Pale Moon will not play H.264 videos.

I suggest that you go to "about:config" settings, and change the value of "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" to "true."

By default, libavcodec included in tahrpup 6.0.5 is old, so Pale Moon avoids using it. As a result, h264/mp4 videos are not played.

JFB

#11 Post by JFB »

Thanks for all the input. I'll play around with the ideas when I get home from work... I see that Tahrpup 6.0.6 is a Uefi version. Can Tahrpup 6.0.6 (a Uefi version) be installed on an old Bios machine?

foxpup

#12 Post by foxpup »

JFB wrote:Can Tahrpup 6.0.6 (a Uefi version) be installed on an old Bios machine?
Sure, no problem.

tallboy

#13 Post by tallboy »

thinkpadfreak wrote:By default, libavcodec included in tahrpup 6.0.5 is old, so Pale Moon avoids using it. As a result, h264/mp4 videos are not played.
I have the same problem with Lucid 5.2.8.7, and as far as I have understood, there is no cure available.

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

tallboy wrote:
thinkpadfreak wrote:By default, libavcodec included in tahrpup 6.0.5 is old, so Pale Moon avoids using it. As a result, h264/mp4 videos are not played.
I have the same problem with Lucid 5.2.8.7, and as far as I have understood, there is no cure available.
It's been a while now since I've used Tahr6.0.2, updated to 6.0.5. But iirc I installed ffmpeg.

thinkpadfreak

#15 Post by thinkpadfreak »

tallboy wrote:
> I have the same problem with Lucid 5.2.8.7, and as far as I have understood, there is no cure available.

I have used Lucid 5.2.8. Lucid includes ffmpeg, and libavcodec is part of it, but even if "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" is set as "true," mp4 videos are not played. I do not know why. (Maybe libavcodec is too old?)

So I use Pale Moon 26.5, which plays mp4 videos with the help of gstreamer.