BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#441 Post by peebee »

Update to +25 on 19-jan-2019

3c13a7dd34981815b4e2ff94a628bc61 upupbb-18.05+25.iso

{delta}

Just more ubuntu updates....+ a fix to evince for some problematic pdfs
Last edited by peebee on Sat 19 Jan 2019, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rek769

Re: How to remove Light browser

#442 Post by rek769 »

peebee wrote:
rek769 wrote:Light does not seem to show up in the REMOVE BUILT IN PACKAGES app. Any ideas on how to remove the browser from the system
Light is as its name implies - a lightweight browser.

It is provided in the adrv .sfs - therefore simply replace the adrv with a different heavyweight browser - use the Get Web Browser utility to download Chromium or Firefox or Palemoon or Seamonkey, then rename the downloaded .sfs and reboot.

Thanks peebee. That did the trick. I've been a puppy user for nearly 9 years and there is always something new to learn. I'm curious why the Light browser was provided via an sfs named "adrv.sfs" instead of something more obvious like "Ulight.sfs"?
Last edited by rek769 on Sun 13 Jan 2019, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

rek769

#443 Post by rek769 »

I solved the Google problem by importing the attached certificate, which I exported from the latest Palemoon. Unzip it (with Uextract) then go to the Edit menu (Alt+e) Edit->Preferences->Advanced->View Certificates->Import . Import the unzipped file and problem is solved for all Google sites.
Thanks for that, jrb. It did solve the problem with the evil empire's web sites.

jrb

#444 Post by jrb »

rek769 wrote:
I solved the Google problem by importing the attached certificate, which I exported from the latest Palemoon. Unzip it (with Uextract) then go to the Edit menu (Alt+e) Edit->Preferences->Advanced->View Certificates->Import . Import the unzipped file and problem is solved for all Google sites.
Thanks for that, jrb. It did solve the problem with the evil empire's web sites.
Your Welcome rek, BUT!

After I posted the above fix for Google, I got curious again. I felt there must be an easy way to update the certificates all at once.(Even Ulight help was giving an unsecure connection warning, sheesh) After some online research it turns out there is! :D :

The file /usr/local/lib/light/libnssckbi.so contains the default certificates. So, I grabbed that file out of FireFox63 and put it in Ulight and, wonder of wonders, it worked. The original was 92kb and the new one is 397kb, there's a lot more in the new one and they're more up to date.

So here's the .pet, let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Cheers, J
Attachments
ulight_cert_fix-0.1.pet
(179.12 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Mike Walsh

#445 Post by Mike Walsh »

jrb wrote:The trusted certificates in Ulight are old and inadequate. Google has changed their certificates and this covers a number of commonly accessed websites, gmail, youtube, etc.
Don't forget; not only have Google upgraded/changed their own certificates, but since they are now an issuing authority, they also have the power to 'blacklist' other people, too.

I can't remember the exact reason off the top of my head, but they had issues with Symantec (the folks who bring you Norton Antivirus, amongst other things). As a result, Chrome (for the last few releases) now implicitly will not trust any certificate issued on behalf of/related to said company.

Mike. :wink:

perdido

#446 Post by perdido »

Mike Walsh wrote:
jrb wrote:The trusted certificates in Ulight are old and inadequate. Google has changed their certificates and this covers a number of commonly accessed websites, gmail, youtube, etc.
Don't forget; not only have Google upgraded/changed their own certificates, but since they are now an issuing authority, they also have the power to 'blacklist' other people, too.

I can't remember the exact reason off the top of my head, but they had issues with Symantec (the folks who bring you Norton Antivirus, amongst other things). As a result, Chrome (for the last few releases) now implicitly will not trust any certificate issued on behalf of/related to said company.

Thats interesting. Google gets to prepare the food and serve it to us, then clean up after.

A side note of the libnssckbi.so file that contains the certificates also is the same file in Pale Moon.

rek769

#447 Post by rek769 »

After I posted the above fix for Google, I got curious again. I felt there must be an easy way to update the certificates all at once.(Even Ulight help was giving an unsecure connection warning, sheesh) After some online research it turns out there is! :D :

The file /usr/local/lib/light/libnssckbi.so contains the default certificates. So, I grabbed that file out of FireFox63 and put it in Ulight and, wonder of wonders, it worked. The original was 92kb and the new one is 397kb, there's a lot more in the new one and they're more up to date.

So here's the .pet, let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Cheers, J
Awesome...the pet worked fine.

I have to say that the Puppy forums have always been and continue be one of the best in the known (to me) Linux universe for knowledgeable, friendly, assistance.
I've had occasion to use Mint, Arch, Devuan, Artix, Salix, Porteus, Refracta, and a few others for short periods of time...I always find myself coming back to Puppy as my daily driver because of the excellent support, and fast, slim OS. Kudos to all involved in the Puppy ecosystem.

rek769

Boot / startup sounds

#448 Post by rek769 »

Hey folks, any ideas on how to disable the startup tones? I've looked through Setup and First Run Settings to no avail. I'm sure it is something easy that I'm overlooking.

Marv

Re: Boot / startup sounds

#449 Post by Marv »

rek769 wrote:Hey folks, any ideas on how to disable the startup tones? I've looked through Setup and First Run Settings to no avail. I'm sure it is something easy that I'm overlooking.
The call for them is from a script named startup-sound in /root/Startup. I usually create a directory named unused in /root/Startup and move things that I do not want run at startup at the moment into that directory. That way if I want them again there they are. You could also just make /root/Startup/startup-sound non-executable (rightclick on it>properties>permissions).
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#450 Post by peebee »

+25 - just an iso rebuild with an updated adrv courtesy of @jrb
Last edited by peebee on Sat 19 Jan 2019, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

glene77is

#451 Post by glene77is »

Peabee,
Thanks for the hard work on UpupBB.
When I download a .ISO,
I "open" the .ISO, and do a copy/paste
to pull out the required files into the puppy home directory.
Then reboot that particular Puppy .
( of course, I have date-time-stamped backups before re-boot. )
Have been reading the Bash files you pull together
to support Ubuntu Puppy versions.
Very complex procedures.
You seem to get more organized every version
as I find items grouped differently.
It is all good.
I find a Mixture of bash, sh, ash, tcl. in the Puppy code.
Due to 'historical' considerations, and complexity of existing code,
I do not think that the Mixture of shells will ever go away.
I come from a career in Relational Database languages, and SQL,
all very structured and stable.
In bash, et al, I must be careful.
Linux programming takes a special kind of skill and mind-set.

Code: Select all

So ...   thank you for the great effort at presenting a U-puppy
Last edited by glene77is on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

Mike Walsh

Re: Boot / startup sounds

#452 Post by Mike Walsh »

rek769 wrote:Hey folks, any ideas on how to disable the startup tones? I've looked through Setup and First Run Settings to no avail. I'm sure it is something easy that I'm overlooking.
I have to confess, I actually quite like the idea of a start-up sound, yet never even considered it before I started using UpupBB. However, I wanted something a wee bit more melodic.....

Accordingly, I spent a couple of hours searching 'sound effect' sites on t'web.....and eventually settled for this:-

Startup Sound

(This plays straight off in Mozilla-based browsers. For some reason, you may need to start, stop, then start it a second time in Chromium-based browsers. It does play, though.)

Having found something I liked, I then modified peebee's script a little, to not only play the sound I'd chosen, but also to set the volume control to a suitably 'gentle' level at boot time...

#!/bin/sh
amixer -c 0 -- sset Master playback -45dB
mplayer /usr/share/audio/logon-1.mp3 &
The second line is a direct copy of peebee's script. The first line is what I use to set the volume before the sound plays, cobbled together courtesy of the amixer man page, and a question I asked here on the forum several months ago.

When you open

alsamixer
....in a terminal, the sound level is given in decibels (not a 'percentage'). Thus, that's what you need to use in the 'formula'. You just have to experiment to find out what dB 'level' is comfortable for you.

This now plays in every Pup at boot-time. :D

rek769

Encrypted save file

#453 Post by rek769 »

Upup is working well on my wife's old Dell (Vostro 1510).
One issue that cropped up is that she uses an encrypted savefile which requires password entry at boot time.

In previous versions of Puppy that we've had on that computer (Tahr, most recently), an incorrect password entry simply resulted in being presented with another opportunity to enter the password until success was achieved.

With Upup, if the password is entered incorrectly we are given a screen which shows a dump of the last lines of bootinit.log (telling us that mounting the save file has failed). The system then pauses for 60 seconds and boots without savefile.

Is there any way to revert to having the opportunity to re-enter the password if entered incorrectly?

tallboy

#454 Post by tallboy »

Maybe a stupid question, peebee, does the latest delta include all the material from the previous deltas?
Or do I have to load all 24 in order? :shock:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Terry H

#455 Post by Terry H »

tallboy wrote:Maybe a stupid question, peebee, does the latest delta include all the material from the previous deltas?
Or do I have to load all 24 in order? :shock:
deltas are cumulative, so it includes all updates not included in original iso. You can update to the latest without having done any previous updates.

tallboy

#456 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, Terry H. :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

perdido

#457 Post by perdido »

FSlint duplicate file finder posted to its respective thread
Can be run from GUI or command line.
See this post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 09#1015909

The sfs has all python deps built in, just load the sfs and run in bionic.
No devx needed.

Edit: It also includes the correct python dependencies to run the the latest bleachbit 2.0 that was compiled by festus

Last edited by perdido on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#458 Post by peebee »

+25 - ubuntu updates

6502coder

#459 Post by 6502coder »

Posting this from a frugal install of "+25" to my Compaq Presario laptop. This is a 1.3 GHz Celeron M with 1 GB RAM, so it's near the bottom of the "minimum" hardware specs discussed earlier in this thread, but BionicPup is running just fine so far.

6502coder

#460 Post by 6502coder »

Edit 23 jan 2019: Never mind. It was due to a flash drive going bad.

As noted in the previous post, I'm running "+25". I'm having a problem with ROX not updating correctly when swapping flash drives in and out of a USB port.

1. I boot up Bionic Pup. I insert flash drive A into a USB port. I mount the drive by clicking on its desktop icon. A ROX window pops up showing the contents of the drive.

2. I close the ROX window, unmount the flash drive by clicking in the upper right corner of its desktop icon, and remove the drive.

3. HERE is where it goes wacky. I insert flash drive B into the same USB port. I click on its icon. A ROX window comes up, STILL showing the contents of flash drive A!

4. I open a terminal using the backquote key and type

rox -x .

This refreshes the ROX window which then shows the correct contents of flash drive B.

I previously reported encountering this same problem in DPup Stretch 7.5 RC3:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 39#1013039

the only difference being that this time I wasn't using a USB port expander, thus ruling that out as the cause. Also, as I reported in the DPup Stretch thread, I have not seen the problem occur in RC4 (yet).
Last edited by 6502coder on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.