is there a Puppy & or * Dog Video Conferencing Program?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Max Headroom

is there a Puppy & or * Dog Video Conferencing Program?

#1 Post by Max Headroom »

that's Not Skype Please.... w/ a small install, low resource ie. CPU & RAMemory Footprint & Easy 2 Use.

Or did I overhear correctly that it's been Superseded by Web Conferencing Using the Browser, if so Please don't tell me "Krome"... I'd Prefer Vivaldi or Firefox or Opera or Brave or maybe Chromium?

Thanx ;-)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Maybe you can try to get an sfs from this thread:
Zoom Video Conferencing software

foxpup

#3 Post by foxpup »

In the newsletters there are a few contributions about using n2n to set up a P2P VPN and use it with psip (puppyphone)
or for desktop sharing, file sharing etc (back seat driver). Not (yet) video though.

If you do not necessarily need video, this could do. You can make it private and it is low on resources.

Max Headroom

#4 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx FoxPup 4 your reply, but unfortunately your link led 2 the PaDS 1.0.4 Thread rather than a Zoom.sfs Repo or thread...

;-)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Max Headroom:-

The link given by foxpup leads to a thread by ndujoe1 about the possibility of creating an SFS package for Zoom Teleconferencing by using the package in the Ubuntu repositories as a starting point. As you can see from reading it, it details his progress through a 'lib-chase' of dependencies, and ends up with the recommendation to use RSH's PaDs software as the easiest way to create said SFS, once all dependencies have been tracked down.

It does not say whether ndujoe actually got as far as creating this SFS, nor whether he ever in fact published it.....

Hope that clarifies matters a bit.

Mike. :wink:

Max Headroom

#6 Post by Max Headroom »

True Mike, that's actually as I understood it, Tho I was Hopeful I was wRong...
Thanx 4 Your Confirmation.

;-)K

foxpup

#7 Post by foxpup »

Mike Walsh wrote:It does not say whether ndujoe actually got as far as creating this SFS, nor whether he ever in fact published it.....
Probably not.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110426

labbe5, who searches everywhere for goodies for Puppy, has posted this:
Jitsi and Riot (Matrix IM client)

Max Headroom

#8 Post by Max Headroom »

I Think that maybe this is the answer...

https://jami.net/

I Just Need 2 Prove it....

;-)K

foxpup

#9 Post by foxpup »

foxpup wrote:In the newsletters there are a few contributions about using n2n to set up a P2P VPN and use it with psip (puppyphone)
or for desktop sharing, file sharing etc (back seat driver). Not (yet) video though.

If you do not necessarily need video, this could do. You can make it private and it is low on resources.
Another idea. If you feel up to it, I think you could set up ekiga with n2n-edge P2P, the same way as you can with psip.
Ekiga has videoconferencing. You can install it from PPM.

In fact, you could just use ekiga (without P2P). Participants would need a sip address, but that is easy to obtain free.

foxpup

#10 Post by foxpup »

Max Headroom wrote:I Think that maybe this is the answer...

;-)K
Looks good.

Let us know how it goes, please.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Max Headroom wrote:I Think that maybe this is the answer...

;-)K
@ Max:-

I wouldn't bother.

I've just been trying out the 32-bit Ubuntu 16.04 .deb package in Xenialpup. This is actually an app called 'Gnome-ring', re-packaged to look like something else.

It expects the full Gnome-desktop environment to be installed, since it seems to be built to integrate with it. And although the dependencies are all satisfiable, it throws a 'symbol-lookup error' on libwebkit2gtk.....and refuses to go any further.

Not worth the messing around, TBH. It looks as though "Jami" is a re-branding of the desktop app in order to appeal to smartphone users.....

foxpup

#12 Post by foxpup »

Mike Walsh wrote:It expects the full Gnome-desktop environment to be installed, since it seems to be built to integrate with it. And although the dependencies are all satisfiable, it throws a 'symbol-lookup error' on libwebkit2gtk.....and refuses to go any further.
I took a brief look and noticed it is a small .deb, a few M while ekiga is probably over 50M. I wondered how this is possible. Now we know.
Too bad.
Thanks to check it for us Mike.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ foxpup:-

It's kinda 'self-serving', in a way. Ever since I gave Skype the push a couple of years ago, I'm interested in any & all softphone/video-calling/instant messaging apps. I'm quite content using Google's 'Hangouts' and the WIRE VOIP app from Switzerland.....but I'm always keen to see if there's owt better out there!

-------------------------------------------

@ Max:-

There's a suggestion for you. Video 'conferencing' is possible with Google Hangouts, and you don't have to be using Chrome to access it, either. Just bookmark this URL:-

https://hangouts.google.com/

However, I'm guessing you probably need a Google a/c to use it properly. I've had one for the last ten years or so, ever since the initial 'beta' release of Chrome back in Autumn 2008.....

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

peterw

Video Conferencing

#14 Post by peterw »

There are video conferencing programmes that you do not need installed programmes and can work with any OS.https://appear.in/ Last time I used it, it was good.

muggins

utox

#15 Post by muggins »

Has anyone tried utox?

They have static builds for x86 & x86-64 here.

And another browser alternative is talky.

Or riot.

ozsouth

#16 Post by ozsouth »

Some good options. Most (all?) require WebRTC & access to camera & mic. Most browsers have this.

Have tested talky.io and appear.in - both worked using 64 bit versions of opera and chrome,
but not firefox or seamonkey (mic issues with these on 2 yo HP Celeron laptop).