Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#561 Post by 666philb »

666philb wrote:
puppy_apprentice wrote:PupSysInfo doesn't show speed for both cores separate.

Screenshot and report files you will find there:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 45#1016445
hi puppy_apprentice,

it does show the info for me here, it could be the kernels compatibility with your computer. maybe try some other kernels and test ... quickpet >> change kernels
also maybe try lm-sensors from the PPM
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Hesse James

#562 Post by Hesse James »

Hello Phil
I owe you an answer to your questions about mounting SD-cards, smartphones and ebook-readers.
1.) Mount SD-cards: I compared in test Slacko64, Xenial64 7.5 and Bionic64 7.9.8.
Pmount is always necessary: Slacko64 could mount with pmount, showed drive icon on desktop afterwards, Xenial64 could mount but did not show an icon afterwards; in Bionic64 the SD-card is not detected by pmount (same 7.9.7).
Bionic64 fstab is empty (others not) but this has no effect on device recognition.

2.) Mount ebook-reader: I compared in test Slacko64, Xenial64 7.5 and Bionic64 7.9.8.
Pmount of Slacko64 and Bionic64 could not detect device, Xenial64 could mount it with pmount.
As I wrote the last time all devices could be mounted manually on all Puppies. So it's uncritical (icing).

3.) Android Smartphones. After tests it turned out that connection to Android 5, 6, 7 works more or less reliable (depends on Android version). It turned out to be important to
- first connect the device
- then switch to MTP (at the phone)
- then to press the ok of MTP Device program (which opens automatically) ->vaild for Andriod 6.0.

Additional information: I solved my sound issue by adding
options snd-hda-intel model=generic
to the alsa-base.conf in /etc/modprobe.d
I needed HDMI-sound with HDA-Intel-sound (NUC has only HDMI output) but I did not manage to switch the default sound device with the multiple sound card wizard from analog output (first card, first device, standard) to digital (HDMI, first card, second device). Its change of the configuration was ignored by alsa. With this alsa-base entry, everything worked as it should. I could switch to HDMI and Palemoon and Firefox work from now on perfectly (sandbox entry not necessary).

What shall I do now with the tons of posts about alsa problems I downloaded and red in the last 3 month ? :lol:

Christian

ITSMERSH

#563 Post by ITSMERSH »

What shall I do now with the tons of posts about alsa problems I downloaded and red in the last 3 month ? :lol:
Rewrite them from memory (or copy and paste) and create its own topic in this here forum? :wink:

Hesse James

#564 Post by Hesse James »

Concerning the Nvidia-HDMI sound issue...
I took my old computer with a Nforce chipset. With the multiple sound card wizard and installed Nvidia-driver 340.107 I could switch to and use analog output and digital output (via S/PDIF).
Selecting HDMI was again not considered by alsa as the standard device. No sound output with Palemoon. Then I applied the same as above:

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

in alsa-base.conf and after a reboot my selection in the multiple sound card wizard was now considered by alsa. Sound in Palemoon worked.
This might help you too.

Regards.
Christian

bigpup

#565 Post by bigpup »

666philb wrote:
666philb wrote:

Screenshot and report files you will find there:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 45#1016445
hi puppy_apprentice,

it does show the info for me here, it could be the kernels compatibility with your computer. maybe try some other kernels and test ... quickpet >> change kernels
also maybe try lm-sensors from the PPM
I too see this doesn't show speed for both cores separate.

lm-sensors from the PPM no help.

I tried using the older 2.7.3 version of Pup-Sysinfo.
It shows each CPU core frequency.

So, seems to be a bug in the newer versions of Pup-Sysinfo.

I am reporting this in the Pup-Sysinfo topic.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Pup-Sysinfo 2.8.1 that is in Bionicpup64
(50.36 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
Screenshot(1).jpg
Pup-Sysinfo 2.7.3
(40.48 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Revolverve

#566 Post by Revolverve »

Fresh picked from trash and repaired,an old hd tv with hdmi ports ,i can now test that tablet untried video port.
"multiples monitor settings" works !
"multiples sound card" too!
Even zarfy-64.pet from fatdog64 800 repo works! nice options in there.
Resolution between monitor is a pain with touchscreen..

Note: beloved addictive Easystroke do not like dual monitor,a known bug..
if it can help a user not to search all over for the problem as i did...

gyro

#567 Post by gyro »

When I boot Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC with the boot parameter "intel_pstate=disable", PupSysInfo shows the speed of each core.
When I boot Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC without the boot parameter "intel_pstate=disable", PupSysInfo does not show the speed of each core.

gyro

bigpup

#568 Post by bigpup »

There is more this helps.

With Intel CPU's

Used the boot parameter

Code: Select all

intel_pstate=disable
, so this scaling driver is not usable or loaded.

The CPU Frequency Scaling Tool will now use scaling driver acpi-cpufreq and not intel_pstate.

This change seems to allow many more options to work in CPU Frequency Scaling Tool.
So far all the now possible changes seem to work OK.

perdido found this topic about intel_pstate and the issue in Xenialpup 7.5
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112683

Update:
Nothing is ever a simple answer with computers.
Found more info on this.
intel_pstate offers only two governors: powersave and performance.
1. intel_pstate can be disabled at boot-time with intel_pstate=disable or compile it out
2. the old problem with ondemand (and conservative) governors is and was, that they don't know the specific capabilities of the cpu
3. executing some tasks with highest-frequency possible is consuming less power, than taking more time with lower frequency e.g. arithmetic stuff
4. this is not true for all tasks e.g. loading something from main-memory
5. here comes intel_pstate: it knows how the specific cpu works and does it job better than a generic solution, also it seems to handle "boost" better
6. furthermore intel_pstate offers only two governors: powersave and performance
even "powersave" is faster than the generic acpi based approach with "performance" (maybe handles "boost" better)
also "performance" doesn't enforce the default frequency as "lower limit", like the old generic approch, but performance is anyway only ~ 1% faster
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 27 Jan 2019, 22:48, edited 3 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#569 Post by bigpup »

Radky is working on some code changes to Pup-Sysinfo to fix CPU info.
He has made a change to the func file that seems to work.
You can see what is being done here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=105
YaPI(any iso installer)

RimsOnAToaster

#570 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

I hope this isn't in the wrong spot...

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware. The system is powered by an ASRock J4105-ITX board which has an embedded Gemini Lake- family Celeron J4105 processor, 2x 4GB of some spare 2666 MHz DDR4 memory, and a flash-based save drive connected via the board's USB 3.0 header. The system also includes an onboard M.2 E-key slot for a Wi-Fi card, which I have populated with an Intel 9260.

To my knowledge, ASrock has gotten rid of the legacy BIOS boot option for this family of hardware, thereby pushing UEFI-only boot options. I have disabled secure boot from within the UEFI menu and prepped a live USB with build 7.9.8 using Rufus 3.3. At this point I'm not too sure what steps to take.

Terry H

#571 Post by Terry H »

RimsOnAToaster wrote:I hope this isn't in the wrong spot...

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware. The system is powered by an ASRock J4105-ITX board which has an embedded Gemini Lake- family Celeron J4105 processor, 2x 4GB of some spare 2666 MHz DDR4 memory, and a flash-based save drive connected via the board's USB 3.0 header. The system also includes an onboard M.2 E-key slot for a Wi-Fi card, which I have populated with an Intel 9260.

To my knowledge, ASrock has gotten rid of the legacy BIOS boot option for this family of hardware, thereby pushing UEFI-only boot options. I have disabled secure boot from within the UEFI menu and prepped a live USB with build 7.9.8 using Rufus 3.3. At this point I'm not too sure what steps to take.
There are a few guides on this forum regarding setting up puppies to boot on a UEFI based system. This one mentions booting with Windows 10, but the W10 reference is irrelevant, as it describes how to manually setup a USB flash drive for UEFI booting.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224

I use a small partition(100MB), which is formatted as fat32 for the EFI partition, then have ext4 partitions where i put frugal installs of various puppies. As the installations are on a different partition, my grub.cfg stanzas differ from the above thread, in that I identify the partition using the "root=UUID=...". Below shows 3 frugally installed puppies on one partition, contained in separate folders.

Code: Select all

menuentry "stretch-7.5 RC4" {

search --set -f /stretch-7.5-4/vmlinuz

linux /stretch-7.5-4/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=stretch-7.5-4 pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable

initrd /stretch-7.5-4/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "Upup Bionic Beaver 18.05 + 23" {

search --set -f /bionic/vmlinuz

linux /bionic/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=bionic pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable
initrd /bionic/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC" {

search --set -f /bionic64/vmlinuz

linux /bionic64/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=bionic64 pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable
initrd /bionic64/initrd.gz

}

bigpup

#572 Post by bigpup »

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware.
How about some details on what happens.
You do what?
You see what?

Try a different USB port if you have one.

Disable secure boot in the computers bios, should let it boot Bionicpup64.
It does on every computer I have ever tried it on that has UEFI bios.
If the computer bios has legacy boot option that basically does the same thing.

Found this on an ASRock forum post.
A problem you may have is that there are no drivers for that cpu/chipset from Intel or Asrock, except for Windows 10 drivers. Hope your Linux versions have included them.
No info on what the Linux driver needs to be or how to get it.
Something to maybe search for.
YaPI(any iso installer)

oldprinter

#573 Post by oldprinter »

For what it's worth -
I also disabled 'Fast Boot', if Fast Boot is on, your computer is just 'hibernating', not actually powered off.
In this case I'd take the time to physically unplug, let the power supply run down and start up that way.

Didn't he have Xenialpup running on this box?

If that's the case, I'd redo the 'Live' media, I have had missing files on my DVDs, re-downloaded, checked 'sums', made new disk and then they worked

Tom

RimsOnAToaster

#574 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Terry H wrote:
RimsOnAToaster wrote:I hope this isn't in the wrong spot...

There are a few guides on this forum regarding setting up puppies to boot on a UEFI based system. This one mentions booting with Windows 10, but the W10 reference is irrelevant, as it describes how to manually setup a USB flash drive for UEFI booting.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224

Thank you so much for setting me straight here! that link worked like a charm. Now I'm off to wrestle with wi-fi card drivers ;)

bigpup

#575 Post by bigpup »

This affects all info for Intel CPU's that are normally using the intel_pstate scaling driver.
The Kernel in Bionicpup64 is setup to use this driver.
So, usually this is the driver being used for CPU scaling.

Older versions of Pup-Sysinfo did not show all the CPU info.
New version of Pup-Sysinfo just released to correct this.
Pup-Sysinfo 2.8.3
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/Pup-SysInfo-2.8.3.pet
- Bugfix: In some scenarios, failed detection of CPU speed when the frequency scaling driver is intel_pstate
YaPI(any iso installer)

oui

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo

#576 Post by oui »

is a manual about the changes in that subdir (or in /etc/xdg/sourceforge.net/MIME-types somewhere available?

(how to transmit the changes to a remaster version containing an other browser, the usual browser used by BK, the Seamonkey Suite, part of the concept of shellCMS, as the HTML editor of Seamonkey is an important figure of this interesting CMS...)

666philb

#577 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Bionicpup64 7.9.8
Fresh frugal install
Only added installed program is Wine.

Installed Wine using Quickpet>Useful>Wine

None of the menu entries for Wine will work.
There are many of them in menu>Utilities

Example:
Wine Configure (winecfg) in a console gives these errors.
root# winecfg
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib64/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:err:process:start_wineboot failed to start wineboot, err 1359
0009:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
Wine cannot find the ncurses library (libncurses.so.5).
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib64/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:err:winecfg:WinMain failed to restart 64-bit L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe", err 1359
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
thanks bigpup,

i've fixed and re-uploaded the wine package to ibiblio (it will take a while to sync with nluug). the desktop icons were calling 32bit wine rather than wine64.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#578 Post by bigpup »

Confirm.
Quickpet>Useful>Wine Installed.
All menu entries now work.

Thanks!
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

memory usage

#579 Post by 666philb »

there's been some concern about the 500mb+ memory usage of bionicpup at start up, so i thought i'ld do a xenialpup64 and bionicpup64 comparison.

the test was done on an 2008-9 core2duo T7250 2000mz 4gb ram laptop on a fresh frugal install. after installing all the test apps i rebooted before starting the test & all applications were loaded in the same order.

fresh boot stating memory
bionicpup 520mb
xenialpup 145mb

applications loaded....

conky
gimp with image loaded
libre office writer
google-earth (default start position not zoomed)
spotify playing the same album
deadbeef playing the same album
mpv
palemoon browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
chromium browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
tor browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
osmo
htop

bionicpup 2.35gb
xenialpup 2.00gb

i then continued to add applications, simple screen recorder, abiword, gnumeric & transmisson at which point both started to swap, xenial possibly swapping slightly earlier but pretty much at the same point.

i then noticed that in bionicpup lxtask was showing less memory usage than htop and conky (which were showing the same amount). so i tried xenialpups htop & conky in bionicpup .

fresh boot stating memory
bionicpup 176mb (this difference is mostly compton at 13mb)
xenialpup 145mb

then running the test again above both were showing about 2gb usage.

so bionicpup isn't the memory hog that we thought it was, it just that there's a difference in the way memory is reported in newer v older versions of conky and htop.

bionicpups reporting is probably a lot more realistic considering the puppy.sfs and zdrv.sfs are loaded into ram.

bigpup

#580 Post by bigpup »

Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Memory
Seems to give better info than Htop.
YaPI(any iso installer)