How to fix Preferences in Pale Moon 28.x

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
6502coder

How to fix Preferences in Pale Moon 28.x

#1 Post by 6502coder »

This is about a problem with recent versions (28.x) of the Pale Moon browser, for users running on machines with Intel graphics. Only systems with Intel graphics seem to be affected.

Some forum members, including backi, keniv, and myself, have encountered

(a) problems switching tabs or settings in Tools->Preferences, and
(b) problems editing properties (such as the name) of places on the shortcut bar.

These issues have been reported in different threads on the Forum including those for DPupStretch and Devuan Beowulf Alpha, but I thought it would be good to give the problem its own thread so that more people would be aware of the problems and a partial solution.

A fix for (a) is to go into about:config and set the parameter browser.preferences.animateFadeIn to true. Thanks to 666philb who seems to have been the first to mention this on the forum.

A fix for (b) is not known at this time. Edit: see radky's post below. Before installing radky's "20-intel.conf" file, check to see if one already exists. If so, edit the existing file to ADD radky's fix; see watchdog's example several posts below.

Also, 28.x is noticeably more sluggish, especially on startup, than 27.9.4. You may wish to consider staying on, or reverting to, 27.9.4, although 28.x has introduced a number of security fixes.
Last edited by 6502coder on Thu 31 Jan 2019, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Thanks! I was having the problem with Pale Moon's right-click menu and Preferences/Library windows, in XenialPup 64. Enabling browser.preferences.animateFadeIn seems to have fixed the problem (the highlight doesn't appear when moving around the top level on the right-click menu, though, but I guess I can live with it.)

Strange thing is, I share the profile between my Precise and XenialPup setups, and the problem never manifested under Precise.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

radky

#3 Post by radky »

There are scattered reports of display issues when some iterations of the intel video driver misbehave with older hardware. Specifically, some applications such as Pale Moon may not display correctly.

In such cases, it may be helpful to change the default intel acceleration from sna to uxa.

To implement this potential fix, you can test the attached 20-intel.conf.

Remove the fake gz extension, place the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf, then reboot.
Attachments
20-intel.conf.gz
(101 Bytes) Downloaded 541 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

6502coder

#4 Post by 6502coder »

Thanks, radky!

Your fix solves the right-click-menu issue "(b)" for me on PM 28.3.1 on both UPupBionic and DpupStretch7.5 RC4.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

radky wrote: In such cases, it may be helpful to change the default intel acceleration from sna to uxa.

To implement this potential fix, you can test the attached 20-intel.conf.

Remove the fake gz extension, place the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf, then reboot.
I'm testing this fix in ScPup-19.01+1. It's working until now. I have not problems in the right-click menu using palemoon anymore. Thanks radky.

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

It's also fixed the remaining issue I was having with the right-click menu, and the right-click menu also seems to be running better/faster as well (same for the rest of Pale Moon, after the few moments PM takes to pop up).

I haven't tested anything else on the system yet to see if it's working better with the acceleration change.

Thanks, radky. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

My Upup Bionic Beaver 32 bit by peebee already had a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf. I have edited it to add the radky's option:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
  Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection
Fix working well in all puppies I have tested.

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Hi Watchdog !
Put your :
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Did place it .... into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

on UpupBionic Beaver ........now my Pale Moon 27.9.4 is definitely faster on this Site which took up 20 Seconds or more to load before .....now only 7seconds or even less ...
Definitely much faster than before .....I am quite amazed !

This is the mentioned Link which i tested :

https://news.google.com/?hl=de&gl=DE&ceid=DE:de

Pale Moon 28.3.1 still takes 20 or even more seconds to load this Link .

This is a cool hack :) :) :)

How to apply on Debian/Bionic/Xenial- Dog ??? Where to place this Script ?

Seems Pale Moon 27.9.4 is better suited for my old Clunker .

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

This hack is not mine. I put this hack in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and forgot it. I have searched the forum and I have found the original 666philb's post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 579#987579

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Cause there is no Place/Folder like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in Debian or Ubuntu Dogs where to Place it alternatevely ?

This hack makes Palemoon 27.9.4 definitely faster in Upup Bionic Beaver.
I wished it could be used in "The Dogs" too .

Or would creating a Folder xorg.conf.d in /etc/X11 (and placing the Script there )maybe help ? ....

Edit : Tested ...no it does not work .

fredx181

#11 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:I wished it could be used in "The Dogs" too .
Hi backi, creating the folder xorg.conf.d in /etc/X11 and put the file in there should work, but probably the name of the file needs to have extension .conf , for example "20-intel.conf" , and also requires restarting X after done that.
EDIT: Just see above it's already mentioned about the .conf extension

Fred

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

In BionicDog 32 bit I have /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. It can be put there in my opinion.

backi

#13 Post by backi »

Hi Watchdog, Hi Fred !

Thanks for Support !
Placed Script -----/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

On Bionic-Dog it obviously worked....(it just took 5 to 8 Seconds to load the Link above )

1.Stretch-Dog (15 to 20 Seconds)......
2.Xenial-Dog (15 to 20 Seconds)........

(with Pale Moon 28.3.1 it even takes 30 Seconds or more )

My naive Conclusion ...there are some special Ingredients in the Bionics (Upup-Bionic or Bionic-Dog ) which are missing in the others 1. and 2.

Regards !

keniv

#14 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
I had the problem described above when testing DevuanDog by fredx181. I downloaded and placed backi's script in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. I think this has improved the opening speed of palemoon 28.x.x. I also think this forum is opening faster but this of course is purely subjective. However, I still cannot install uBlock or Adblock. See below.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30

Third post from bottom.

Has anybody here managed to do this?

Regards,

Ken.

watchdog

#15 Post by watchdog »

keniv wrote:However, I still cannot install uBlock or Adblock.
Go to:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/blob/ ... fox-legacy

Right-click "latest release desirable" and Save link as ublock.xpi. Copy it in the extensions folder of your palemoon's profile. Restart palemoon and you'll be asked if you want to install ublock.

EDIT: I have version 1.16.4.8. I have found that the later versions are uninstallable.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... y-1.16.4.8

keniv

#16 Post by keniv »

@watchdog

I tried your method to install uBlock in palemoon 28. However, I still have a problem.
Copy it in the extensions folder of your palemoon's profile.
I don't know where this is but I did manage to download ublock.xpi to "Downloads". On the extentions page there is a small box with what looks like sliders on it next to "search". I clicked on this and one of the options is to "install Add-on from File". This I did but it failed with the output "This add-on could not be installed because palemoon does not support web-extensions. I had the same output when I tried before. If you can point me in the direction of my palemoons profile I'll try again using the method you outlined.

Regards,

Ken.

backi

#17 Post by backi »

Have a look here:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=16543

https://www.reddit.com/r/palemoon/comme ... gin_users/

Extensions Folder can be found in .moonchildproduktions Folder (it is a hidden Folder on /root ......look for:

/root /.moonchildproduktions/pale moon/xxxx.default/extensions

keniv

#18 Post by keniv »

@backi,
Thanks for the links. I had tried this method before and got the same result but I thought it was worth another go. The first output I got was "Palemoon prevented this site (github.com) from asking you to install software on your computer" I thought this was to do with how I've setup palemoon. It gave the option to "Allow". I clicked on this and saw uBlock download. This was then followed by the same output as I described in my last post i.e. "----------palemoon does not support web-extensions". I am coming to the conclusion that v 28.3.1 does not want an add blocker installed.

Regards,

Ken.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Keniv,

Watchdog appears to be correct.

The latest "Legacy" build as of today is the one he suggested in his last post.

When visiting this page, you MUST choose the "firefox-legacy-x" release to drag into your browser.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

watchdog

#20 Post by watchdog »

Go to the previous link posted:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... y-1.16.4.8

Just click on "uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi". Version 1.16.4.8.