Different version Puppy when I boot from CD

Using applications, configuring, problems
Fiberflinger

Different version Puppy when I boot from CD

#1 Post by Fiberflinger »

Tell me why I get a different version of Puppy when I do not use my cd to boot with? Its not the same as the desktop I use with all its glory added. Did I do something wrong somewhere?

Fiberflinger

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

From what you say, I'll guess that you have installed Puppy on your hard disk drive. If you start your computer without the CD in the drive, it defaults to loading the version of Puppy it finds on the hard disk, including the customization you've done. If you boot the Puppy CD, it evidently loads just what is on the CD, which does not include your settings. :)

Fiberflinger

#3 Post by Fiberflinger »

auh,, ok.

Thank you.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you do a frugal HD install instead, your settings will be saved in a pup_save.2fs file just like with the live-cd. Then they would be the same files.

That brings up another thing: multiple save files. If puppy sees more than one file named pup_save<anything>.2fs, it will give you a menu when it boots, letting you choose which one to load.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Fiberflinger

#5 Post by Fiberflinger »

OK, well, without the cd in the drive I cannot go to Xorg only the other server. So how do I get my prefered server (Xiorg)to load without the cd? Ya kinda lost me on that last post.

purple_ghost

How to choose alternate video settings?

#6 Post by purple_ghost »

Xorg is used as the name of one of the video driver programs. Xvesa is the other. Each of which can have multiple resolutions and color settings. If you want to change those video (xorg or xvesa), Use the Video Wizard.. Start/Utility/ Then whichever one you are currently using. The wizard Xorg will want to reboot. As it reboots it will give you the option to reset the video in terms of programs, resolution settings and color settings.

Could I be confused about the nature of your question. I am supposing that when you use Xorg in your last post you might mean an ISP(s) named Xorg and Xiorg. Which ISP you dial is set inside the Modem dialer. Like you can add a second name to dial-to by using the ADD button inside the Gkdial Modem dialer, then select which one you want to dial. Imagine how you would fix it if you gave up the two ISP(s) you have and had to add the login/passwd for a new ISP. There are similar add features to the other modem dialers.

Frugal is one of the different hard drive installs you could have chosen. From what you have said. I would guess you chose full, hard drive install, not frugal.

If you have the hard drive space, the time to play with it. And want to see something neat. Use Rox to copy the Puppy persistent file. Since the persistent file is on the partition of the hard drive I would usually start the Media Utility Tool. MUT is the icon that looks like a USB thumb drive. (Top row, third one over, unless you have moved things around.) MUT takes a few seconds to poll the devices and start. On the partition where you are booting the CD from, click Rox. You will see a pup_save.2fs. This is the persistent file, used when you boot from CD, which has your settings. You can use Rox to create another copy of the file. In Rox, right click on the pup_save.2fs and choose a name like pup_save1.2fs. Takes a few minutes to do the copy.

The next time you boot from CD, you will be given the option as to which one of the different persistent files you want to use.

Fiberflinger

#7 Post by Fiberflinger »

Well that sent my head spinning. I need to digest this. hmmmm.

purple_ghost

Maybe I can explain what I meant.

#8 Post by purple_ghost »

If you have Xorg, and want to change to Xvesa. Start whatever Puppy that Xorg is in. Click on the Menu/Utility/xorgwizard. It will tell you, Okay, I will change that for you, but you will have to reboot. Click on the button to change it. As Puppy starts again. The dialogue will come up allowing you to choose again, Xorg or Xvesa. Then goes on to offer you the options of the wizard.

Alternatively. the Xvesa wizard will allow you to change to color and size scheme without rebooting. On the fly.

alternatively, you can drop out of the desktop to the command line. Type xorgwizard and the wizard will offer you the option to choose Xorg or Xvesa again. After you make your choice. The command line will still be there. Type in xwin. Command line is not the terminal for entering command line. It is at the bottom near the menu start in the logoff options. (I think. I have not changed it this way.

Fiberflinger

#9 Post by Fiberflinger »

I have not seen a yagotta reboot dialogue. It just keeps telling me to type xorgwizard. I like my glitzy desktop I made, the other one is just to large.

Fibeflinger

purple_ghost

You change the size by changing the resolution.

#10 Post by purple_ghost »

If you want to change resolution in Xorg, or change to the other -- Xvesa. Then you would click on Xorg.

If you are running Xvesa and you want to only change the resolution. Then you click on Xvesa. You can change Xvesa on the fly, without rebooting.

Where are you when you see the message. Type Xorgwizard.

To get to the command line prompt. Menu/Shutdown/Exit to prompt.

This is kind of like MS-DOS was to Windows. MS_DOS is like a command line prompt. Just text without color. Windows is a GUI.

Whe you go to the command line prompt do not have any programs running that you expect to have running when you get back to the Graphical User Interface, (GUI).

At that point. Take the advice. type the word, "Xorgwizard" The wizard will give the chance to choose again whether you want to run the Xorg, or Xvesa. Then it will let you choose the type monitor. The resolution size and color --number of color bits. The first two numbers are for resolution. The higher the number the smaller things will appear on the screen. As for color, You can choose either 16 or 24. However if you choose a higher number for color than the monitor can handle. Things can act very strange and unstable.

After the Xorgwizard runs. You have made your choices. If it does not bring up the desktop GUI automatically. Still showing the command line stuff. Just text on the screen. Then you can type "xwin" to restart the GUI.

Or type "reboot"

If the result is not right for you. Then run the xorgwizard again and choose again.

Maybe I am not explaining this very clearly. Sorry.

Fiberflinger

#11 Post by Fiberflinger »

I am sure you are explaining quite well, I'm just a llittle slow at understanding.