CPU frequency scaling tool [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
pp4mnklinux

CPU frequency scaling tool [SOLVED]

#1 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

I'm testing it (only 2 hours without it) but I'm greatfully surprised because after turn off this plugin (cpu frequency scaling tool) my computer works much more better.

It's possible I chose the incorrect options (my cpus worked at maximum speed.- 3076) but now my computer works without hanging.

Try it and share your oppinions

HAVE A NICE DAY

(I want no blocking when I'm running a lot of programs, for instance, when I browse a lot of videos on youtube at the same time (7-12)
Attachments
cpufrequencyscalingtool.png
(31.51 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Sounds to me as though you've chosen the wrong settings.

For me, personally, it's one of the very first things I set-up with a new Puppy.....and mine always work a lot better (runs cooler, and at lower speeds, too) with it enabled, and set up correctly. The biggest part is making sure you choose the right scaling driver for your CPU; I think this is where many people come unstuck!

I find the 'Balanced' governer, with the 50% up 'threshold', works best. 'Performance' tends to make the CPU run flat out all the time.....which is totally unnecessary, IMHO.

Mike. :wink:

ozsouth

#3 Post by ozsouth »

Despite issues others have had, with a 2 year old Celeron N3060, I found intel_pstate to be the best driver. If I disable it & use CPU frequency scaling tool, I don't get offered the turbo range, vital on this slow processor. Sits at 40C when idle & up to about 64C when compiling. That said, without some form of control, CPUs tend to run very hot.

Marv

#4 Post by Marv »

Like Mike Walsh, the frequency governor is one of the first things I set up in a new pup. The 'best' governor is very much a function both of hardware and kernel version (especially for for intel_pstate). My intel based fujitsu laptops have all had pretty 'hair trigger' fans, cranking up far more than necessary for adequate thermal control so I have fiddled with governors a lot. I use pmcputemp-0.63 to see what the current core speeds and temp is when I'm fiddling.

When I was running my Pentium M laptops, intel_pstate was an unmitigated disaster on them. IIRC the kernels I was using then were pre 4.17.0. They ran best with the acpi_cpufreq ondemand governor. At that time I also ran a few core 2 duo machines. The acpi_cpufreq conservative governor seemed best for them.

With sucessive kernel versions the intel_pstate driver has improved a LOT. Now I have a stable of second generation i5 laptops (circa 2012) and run 4.9.134, 4.14.55 and 4.14.91, and the latest 4.20.x kernels. The intel_pstate governor is far superior to any of the acpi_cpufreq governors on those combinations.

Long story short, it's not one size fits all, but it is a powerful thermal management tool. If your intel based hardware and pup is at all newer, give intel_pstate a chance first. If older (2006 vintage say), probably the acpi_cpufreq flavor will work better.
Last edited by Marv on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Marv:-

In my own case (certainly for the big old Compaq desktop), the choice is simple. She runs a K-8 series AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ dual-core. CPU Frequency Scaling Tool offers a k8 governer, which makes use of the Cool'n'Quiet feature that came with these elderly AMD CPUs. It was the AMD equivalent to Intel's Speedstep.....and its use is a no-brainer.

The old Dell lappie, on the other hand, has no choice but to run flat-out, all the time. It runs a Pentium 4. At that time, the Intel Speedstep stuff didn't even exist; it was introduced, for the very first time, with the release of the Mobile P4s.....the succeeding generation.

Sod's law, ain't it..!!

Mike. :wink:

pp4mnklinux

THANKS...SO.. CAN U HELP ME?

#6 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi:

I gave a new opportunity to CPU FREQUECY.

MY i3 configured for performance and limited to 2800 (see capt)

WHAT COULD BE THE BEST OPTION FOR AN I3.- 4gb Ram??

My interest is that the PC doesn't block (hang on) when 7-8 u tube videos reproducing at the same time.

THANKS.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory : 3867MB (1576MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri Feb 8 14:58:40 2019
-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
Audio Adapter : PC-Speaker - pcsp
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
Logitech K400
Telink Trust Wireless Mouse
HDA Intel MID Front Mic
HDA Intel MID Rear Mic
HDA Intel MID Line
HDA Intel MID Line Out
HDA Intel MID Front Headphone
HDA Intel MID HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST3500418AS
ATA ST1000DM003-1SB1
ATA ST3000DM001-1CH1
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N

THANKS A LOT 4 YOUR HELP.
Attachments
image-3.png
(72.83 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Marv

Re: THANKS...SO.. CAN U HELP ME?

#7 Post by Marv »

pp4mnklinux wrote:Hi:

I gave a new opportunity to CPU FREQUECY.

MY i3 configured for performance and limited to 2800 (see capt)

WHAT COULD BE THE BEST OPTION FOR AN I3.- 4gb Ram??

My interest is that the PC doesn't block (hang on) when 7-8 u tube videos reproducing at the same time.
Given what you are asking of this CPU, you may be close with what you are using. The i3 540 is a 'Clarkdale' series CPU so as best as I can tell does not support the intel_pstate drivers. That simplifies things. When you ran the 'ondemand' governor, what maximum speed did you use? If it was the default, ~3GHz, the CPU may have gotten hot enough to throttle its speed back and give you dropouts. I'd say in your case, try both ondemand and performance and start from a maximum speed of 2800 in each and play a bit. I don't know offhand what speedsteps the Clarkdales support but bump up or down one and test. The nice thing about acpi_cpufreq is that you don't have to reboot, As soon as you accept new settings they are active.

Just a note -added- I have two desktops with very low power (fanless) intel Bay Trail J1900 CPUs where the whole box, only the monitor excluded, draws 14 watts running flat out. Those I run with the performance governor at their maximum speed. Why not :)

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

pp4mnklinux

THANKS Marv

#8 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, Marv:

I'll try and modify-test to see what happen.

THANKS A LOT