Audacity and libneon.so.27

Booting, installing, newbie
Scott99

Audacity and libneon.so.27

#1 Post by Scott99 »

Hello, I am running the current version of Slacko puppy on an ancient panasonic cf-28. I just attempted to install Audacity via the package manager and received the message that I am missing the shared library libneon.so.27. Can someone please help me solve this? Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks, Scott

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Scott99,

Which of the half-dozen or so Slackos? Always be specific. Slackos are built using Slackware binaries and Slackware doesn't use version names, just numbers. The Puppy Package Manager of your Puppy accesses the 'correct' repositories for its version, assuming those repos still exist. pkgs.org maintains links to repos of packages built for Slackware versions 13.37, 14.0, 14.1 and 14.2.

Sometimes it is possible to use libraries from newer or older versions of slackware by creating a symbolic link to it and giving that link the name your application is looking for. But I can't point you to any slackware version of libneon.so.27 because pkgs.org's search engine shows none for any version of Slackware. Googling "libneon.so.27 slackware" also found no results.

Sometimes its possible to use a library from a different Linux --say Ubuntu Trusty Tahr in Slackware 14.0-- but frequently the attempt fails: the packages have the proper name but were compiled with different constructions and dependencies.

pkgs.org's search box finds versions of Audacity for each of the above listed Slackware versions. So, my best guess is that slackware builds audacity without a libneon library and that you've tried to install an Audacity version built for a non-slacko Puppy.

My recommendation is to uninstall your current version of Audacity, and try any of those which this dedicated puppy google search engine finds, https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 when you include both search terms "audacity slacko". I note that it finds several.

Also suggest you bookmark the search engine: its impossible to memorize and very difficult to find.

norgo

audacity

#3 Post by norgo »

How about

this:
audacity-2.1.2-s-i686.pet (Slacko 630)
or this:
audacity-2.2.2-s-i686.pet (Slacko 700)

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike/Scott99:-

While I agree with Mike that pkgs.org doesn't return anything for 'libneon' in Slackware, I find that you usually need to cast your net a wee bit wider on that site. It's often a waste of time only looking in the 'proper' place for what you want...!

Dynamic libraries are a case in point. For a given architecture, they will work anywhere. .txz, .deb, .rpm, .pet.....these are all simply packaging conventions. It's the contents of the package we're interested in, and, regardless of the suffix attached thereto, invariably they're all the same item 'under the hood' (for any given version).

------------------------------------------------

@ Scott99:-

If you still want to try this particular route, I've attached a .pet package for libneon.so.27. Maybe it'll help.There again, it might send you off on an extended 'lib-chase'.....

Up to you, of course. It may simply be easier, in the long run, to try one of norgo's packages; they usually work pretty well!

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
libneon27-0.29.6-i686.pet
32-bit Neon libraries....
(75.11 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

night flight

#5 Post by night flight »

Dear Mike Walsh, thank you very much for this PET. It enabled me to get external access via WebDAV, on Slacko 5.7, in combination with the old davs2-1.4.6-i486.pet that plinej created 2012 for access to box.com. First, I tried to use his libneon-27.2.6.pet, too, but it led to the error message "SSL disabled due to library version mismatch". So I was lucky to find your PET dated 2019. And both PETs do work together! :D
I use a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2, built in 2009. I love it. My Slacko 5.7 (32 Bit) is on a 10 GB SD Card. So I can boot it everywhere (Smartphones excluded :P ).