Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Chili Dog

#581 Post by Chili Dog »

Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me. Dougal's does, adding my wifi driver to the wext list. But after that SNS still doesn't work.

Google-searching, it looks complicated to update it or manually add the driver.

No big deal, the other one works. :)

Revolverve

#582 Post by Revolverve »

Freecad app.image... just too easy...

I like bionicpup64..

rustypup

#583 Post by rustypup »

Hi all. I'm a bit late to the party here but I finally decided to give Bionicpup64 a whirl. I'm happy to report everything seems to be working great for me.

Running on Asus M5A97, with FX-6300, 24GB, HD7770, frugal install on USB.

Google Chrome, Renoise, Milkytracker, Audacity and GIMP all installed and working no problems.

Really impressed to see that Qjackctl install works. On previous pups I've had to install it from the package manager, then uninstall it, leaving the dependencies in place and then install an older version from a .deb file. No such messing about this time. Thanks for all your hard work 666philb.

Also, nice to see a working RedshiftGUI. I like how running it adds it to startup too. Nice touch.

If I encounter any issues I will report back but all looking good so far.

bigpup

#584 Post by bigpup »

Chili Dog wrote:Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me. Dougal's does, adding my wifi driver to the wext list. But after that SNS still doesn't work.
Now you know why there is more than one network setup program in most Puppies.
SNS works when it works, but not all the time for every possible hardware setup.
Frisbee the same, but it sometimes works better for WIFI.
Network Wizard usually always works, if you understand what the options do and how to use it.
Point is, one of them will usually be able to get a network setup working.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#585 Post by bigpup »

Updated Pup-Sysinfo is released.
Pup-SysInfo-2.8.5
CPU and Video reports have a lot of changes, so they give better reports.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#586 Post by rerwin »

Chili Dog wrote:Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me.
Chili Dog,
I would like to investigate the problem you have with SNS. Please see the PM I sent you yesterday, for details.
Richard

EDIT 2/22/19:
We worked together to resolve this. His long network SSID was being truncated to 20 characters, so would not work. The fix, in SNS 2.2, restores the full length for processing but still truncates the SSID for display, to avoid stretching the window too wide. Thank you, chili dog, for your help.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 22 Feb 2019, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Revolverve

#587 Post by Revolverve »

Its been a while i got that one;
-how come bionicpup64 (and almost* all other) on uefi/lick/ntfs/frugal do not have the savefolder option?

*fatdog64 got that option ?

Anyone else using uefi/lick/ntfs/frugal ? a reason for it?

Jamebond secret service?
Last edited by Revolverve on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#588 Post by ITSMERSH »

Don't know if anyone mentioned this.

When e.g. there's a rox filer window opened in /mnt/sda2 and when unmounting /mnt/sda2 via top right corner of its drive icon, the drive gets unmounted as it should be.

BUT: the rox filer window doesn't close. Instead it stays opened with an empty /mnt/sda2 directory.

It's the first time I have seen this compared to all other Puppies I'd tried so far.

williams2

#589 Post by williams2 »

If there is a rox window showing /mnt/sda2 and that dir is deleted, for example, from another rox window or using rmdir, then the window showning /mnt/sda2 will close. If the dir /mnt/sda2 exists, then rox will continue to display it whether a file system is mounted on it or not. Dirs in /mnt are ordinary dirs like any other dir. You can choose to mount a file system on any dir in /mnt or anywhere else, for example, a dir in /root if you like.

If the rox window closes when you unmount a dir using an icon on the desktop (rox pinboard) it would be the script that runs when you click the icon that would be deleting the dir. Or it may be that the script is telling rox to close the window. Something like this:

rox -D /mnt/sda2

That will close all rox windows showing /mnt/sda2 or any subdirectory.

rox -D/ would close all rox windows.

I do not know if the desktop mount scripts have changed, I usually disable them and use the command line to mount file systems. I remember when Puppy didn't have mount icons. I remember when Puppy did not have a desktop/pinboard at all, just a picture of a seagull as wallpaper. Rox was a gtk1 version, fonts were not unaliased, everything was read-only except /root, /var was a tmpfs.

Puppy has changed a lot. But Puppy is still fast, efficient, and great to use as your primary everyday operating system.

666philb

#590 Post by 666philb »

ITSMERSH wrote:Don't know if anyone mentioned this.

When e.g. there's a rox filer window opened in /mnt/sda2 and when unmounting /mnt/sda2 via top right corner of its drive icon, the drive gets unmounted as it should be.

BUT: the rox filer window doesn't close. Instead it stays opened with an empty /mnt/sda2 directory.

It's the first time I have seen this compared to all other Puppies I'd tried so far.
hi ITSMERSH,

are you using an updated savefile from an earlier version as this is fixed i believe, and is working as expected for me
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ITSMERSH

#591 Post by ITSMERSH »

I don't use save files / folders.

:oops:

Sorry!

My fault. Accidentially booted into 7.9.7.

:roll:

bigpup

#592 Post by bigpup »

Revolverve wrote:how come bionicpup64 (and almost* all other) on uefi/lick/ntfs/frugal do not have the savefolder option?

*fatdog64 got that option ?
Fatdog is not official Puppy Linux.

Official Puppy versions.
Save folder is only offered if the place to put it is a Linux format. Exit 2, 3, or 4.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Revolverve

#593 Post by Revolverve »

bigpup wrote: Fatdog is not official Puppy Linux.
Save folder is only offered if the place to put it is a Linux format. Exit 2, 3, or 4.
Savefile on ntfs is stable,not a problem,so far.
Just exploring reasons&facts,savefolder/ntfs does work nicely on fatdog 10years ago extrawoofpuppybranchfamilly.

ITSMERSH

#594 Post by ITSMERSH »

savefolder/ntfs does work nicely
This may cause problems in the future, probably.

FAT and NTFS are unable to have files like these

Test.txt
tESt.TxT
TEST.tXT

They are all the same under NTFS and FAT. I don't know about the ability of keeping symbolic links. FAT can't handle them, though.

Also files without extension (e.g. Test.txt without .txt, so: Test) will change its properties. Plain text files without the .txt extension will look like the scripts under ext partition (green text) then.

If I would use saves at all, I wouldn't use save folders under NTFS.

LateAdopter

#595 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello ITSMERSH

NTFS with ntfs-3g does support POSIX attributes, but it depends on the mount options. I suggest that you read the ntfs-3g manpage to see what the options are. There may be unexpected side effects if you enable these.

I don't use NTFS with linux so I can't say what the result is.

ITSMERSH

#596 Post by ITSMERSH »

POSIX attributes
Sorry, I don't know what POSIX attributes is. Also the web didn't offer a simple and easy to understand explanation without to read lots of text.

If you are referring to the different forms of Test.txt, I made testings about this on FAT and NTFS under Linux. If there was test.txt I could not create another file named TEst.TXt etc.pp.

There was a discussion less weeks ago on this forum. That's why I made these tests.

oui

#597 Post by oui »

hum... I suppose that RSH use Puppy out the RAM and that this consideration it without importance as the file system in the RAM is probably a Linux FS?

Revolverve

#598 Post by Revolverve »

Forgot to mention,if interested;
uefi/lick/ssd-ntfs/frugal_savefile-ext2fs,since bionicpup "birth" ,on one capricious bios/uefi but lick_friendly tablet,that one,had been abused with hard reset reboot from testing in last 5 month and often boot complaining of different % of non-contiguous files.
I am not a fs engineer either...they usually ¨resolved¨(clean) ...by fsck,i guess!!

I mostly use ext2fs on ssd,for years now ,so long ago i dont remember where the suggestion come from..

Got some technical questions about it?
If you want proof of my poor knowledge on the subject ,ask some....

ITSMERSH

#599 Post by ITSMERSH »

I mostly use ext2fs on ssd,for years now ,so long ago i dont remember where the suggestion come from..
I would recommend to at least switch over to ext3.

On ext2 partitions there will be lots of errors on the file system structure like zero daytime on inodes, wrong numbers counted on blocks etc.pp., if there's a .sfs module that doesn't unload properly. In such cases the drive can't unmount properly also. These errors will multiply itself if there's several "failed" unmounts of the drive in a row.

Since I'm using ext3 on my partitions everything's just fine.

ITSMERSH

#600 Post by ITSMERSH »

Deleted!

Nonsense question based on heavily failed attention... :lol: