I can not use mouse when i use xenial when he use only RAM

Using applications, configuring, problems
roberto06

I can not use mouse when i use xenial when he use only RAM

#1 Post by roberto06 »

Hi all,
I can not use m'y mouse when i start xenial only on RAM on m'y computer portable, xenial be in an USB drive.( i want not installé xenial on m'y computer i want juste hé use RAM)

Help me please
Thanks in advance

Sorry for m'y english i am french

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this a wired or wireless mouse?

roberto06

#3 Post by roberto06 »

Hi, it is an wired mouse

williams2

#4 Post by williams2 »

Allez ici. Quelqu'un peut vous aider.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=26

OldAcer

#5 Post by OldAcer »

What does Menu->Setup->Mouse/Keyboard Wizzard say?

If your mouse is USB, then you can use Console (icon on desktop), "lsusb" command (without quotes) to see if it is recognized.

If your mouse is serial, then maybe Console command "lspci | more" will show it, I am not sure. The "pipe command" [|] followed by "more" command is because there will be more than a screen of PCI devices shown.

If you can borrow another mouse, you could see if it can be configured, and then solve the problem with your own mouse.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hello roberto06,

Welcome to the kennels. :)

When posting about a problem always tell us specifics about (1) the make and model of the computer; (2) the exact name of the Puppy [there are, for example, about 6 xenialpups]; and (3) if it involves some device, the make and model of the device. In your case, the make and model of the USB-Mouse.

OldAcer

#7 Post by OldAcer »

What does Menu->Setup->Mouse/Keyboard Wizzard say?
Sorry, I forgot that you cant access the menu without a mouse.

When you get the first blue text screen at boot, use down-arrow key to select "without graphics", that will get you a command prompt.

You might try the bottom entry "for severe video problems", although your video is actually OK, there might be a text-only method to select input drivers.

I found that the executable for "Mouse-keyboard-Wizard" is called "input-wizard" and is located, in my version of Xenial, in ./usr/sbin and /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin. Its a graphical program that opens on the X desktop, but you can navigate in it with arrow-keys and enter-key.

From a command prompt, you can read "./root/Startup/README.txt". That file says "Any executable or scripts (or symlink to) placed in this directory will be executed after the X desktop has loaded." So if you put a link or copy of "input-wizard" in the Startup directory, and then let it boot to the X desktop, you should be able to run "input-wizard" using the keyboard.

Hopefully, changes to Startup will be saved to your boot USB stick when you shut down. Otherwise, you will have to use the "mount" command to access your boot flash-drive from the Puppy command prompt and figure out how to save your changes.

You may need to locate a driver from the Internet for your particular mouse.

Once you find what you need, "./root/Startup/README.txt" says "if you want to execute something at bootup and prior to X desktop loading, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local".

Again, simple method is to try other mouse until one works, and use it to figure out your mouse.

roberto06

#8 Post by roberto06 »

Hi thanks, i am back, my computer be an Laptop.

Thé name of my computer be:

Asus vivobook
Intel pentium M

Behind of my computer there is write so this:
X405U
Notbook pc

I use the last version of xenial: xenial pup 64. 7.5

mikeslr

Asus vivobook X405U -- Mouse not functional

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Asus vivobook X405U -- Mouse not functional, I've got to run but maybe someone can provide instructions regarding how to boot "nomodeset" or "pci=nomsi" with Xenialpup.

Possible glue (or 'Red Herring") derived from here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2402972

The above also suggests a possible "missing firmware" issue.

mikeslr

#10 Post by mikeslr »

I'm guessing. Never had the problem and scripting isn't my strong suit.

Booting from a USB-Key, roberto06's boot-config will probably have a line which looks like one of these, depending on which bootloader is on the USB-Key:

kernel /vmlinuz

linux /vmlinuz

The above may be followed by boot arguments, and identify the folder in which the vmlinuz file is located for example:

kernel /xenial/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=xenial pfix=fsck

I think the Asus vivobook model X405U uses NVIDIA graphics, specifically GeForce® 940MX graphics

My guess is that either or both the arguments "nomodeset" and "pci=nomsi" could be added as folllows:

kernel /xenial/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=xenial nomodeset pci=nomsi pfix=fsck

I know even less about GeForce graphics drivers and firmware. Note that the OP's version seems to be GeForce® 940MX. Anyone have any ideas whether Xenial or some other Puppy has builtin support for it.

Or has the OP given up the project or the ghost.

OldAcer

#11 Post by OldAcer »

Roberto, when you boot from USB stick, you see the Xenial desktop screen with icons, correct?
If not, a different problem.

On a laptop, you have "touch pad" as "pointing device" instead of actual mouse like desktop. However, you could still borrow a USB external mouse, plugged in before boot, and see if Xenial will recognize it.

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Hello mikeslr, Roberto and all.

IIRC, GeForce is an NVidia product. Maybe Roberto should
try choosing NVidia as the video driver in the XorgWizard
utility and see if that produces good results.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OldAcer

#13 Post by OldAcer »

try choosing NVidia as the video driver in the XorgWizard
If screen is shown OK except for touchpad pointer, that could be video problem?

roberto06

#14 Post by roberto06 »

Hi thanks all,

Yes i see the desktop screen with icons.
The keyboard work so.

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

roberto06 wrote:Hi, it is an wired mouse
I assume a USB connection.
Try a different USB port.
Make sure mouse is plugged in when you boot.

If this is a fresh new install of Xenialpup to a USB flash drive.
It could just be a bad install.
Delete the install.
Reformat the drive partition to make sure the file system is error free.
Do a fresh new install of Xenialpup.

Could do a fresh new download of the Xenialpup iso.
Sometimes you do not get a good iso download.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

OldAcer

#16 Post by OldAcer »

Hi, it is an wired mouse
Roberto meant, it is not wireless; as newer laptop, it is surely touchpad.

There is no install, it is boot from USB flashdrive using only RAM. May not have access to harddrive.

Bigpup, I had suggested that Roberto try to borrow a USB mouse from a desktop.
If the write to the flashdrive was good enough to boot & display, is is likely that just the touchpad driver is bad? Mikesir had mentioned problems older distros had with vivobooks, requiring "nomodeset", but if Xenial screen is OK, would any video problem only affect touchpad?

In the boot menu/option for video problems, would there be more mouse options to try or a way to run the Mouse-keyboard-Wizard?

Are there any keyboard commands to get focus and navigate the desktop like Windows 95 had?

Previously, I had suggested to Roberto how to put a command to open the wizard into the Startup directory; it can be used with only arrow keys. How would that actually be done on a USB boot drive? That directory would be hidden in an .sfs file? Is there a way with keyboard only to cause a shutdown and save to the flashdrive?

OldAcer

#17 Post by OldAcer »

Hey, Roberto, if you have the Xenial screen shown, you should be able to press F12 (function key 12) to bring up the Desktop Manager. Then 2 down arrows will show all the Setup programs. Then 1 right-arrow (because that is where the arrow is shown on the Manager list, even if the list of Setup programs is on the left side). Then down-arrow until "Mouse/Keyboard Wizard" is selected, and then Enter or Return key.

On my laptop, you would use 1 right-arrow then 2 down-arrow to select "touchpad". But on mine, that only sets various options, not different drivers or types. What do you see?

You can also use the F12 key to run anything on the menu, like Exit.