Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Look and Feel

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Feverfew

#41 Post by Feverfew »

Gak, anyone :lol: Maybe a little darkergreen? shining is a good backgrownd tho.

jundis

#42 Post by jundis »

oh i have a desktop image i wanted to share. I made it for puppy 2.15 CE so here it is

ok i know it's bad but i was bored. so if you want it go ahead. Oh and don't blame me, its my first time with gimp

puppyfan12

#43 Post by puppyfan12 »

Very nice backgrounds and start button, WhoDo!

I agree with Feverfew that the green is a bit bright for a background. That preference can easily be fixed with gimp though. :)

*edit* Before I got interrupted here in the middle of posting last night...I meant to say, the background reminds me of this famous looney tunes one.
Last edited by puppyfan12 on Wed 21 Feb 2007, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#44 Post by Pizzasgood »

I made it with the IcebergX theme in mind, so it's probably a little bright for the Velvet themes. I'll probably make another wallpaper in a day or three, and I'll do that one darker and in green.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#45 Post by WhoDo »

Feverfew wrote:Gak, anyone :lol: Maybe a little darkergreen? shining is a good backgrownd tho.
Is this better :?:

puppyfan12

#46 Post by puppyfan12 »

WhoDo wrote: Is this better :?:
Those icons are slick!

As for the green color I think that's good and it matches the window heading backgrounds more. The opened windows are covering up the paw in the background (the brightest part). As long as there's not too much contrast between the paw and the green and it's not too bright/hard on the eyes I'd keep it as my background.

The image itself is awesome. The color brightness/contrast may need a bit of tweaking if I were to leave it as a desktop background. The bottom left of the paw where it's more brown/orange is less contrast/easier on the eyes than the top of the paw where it's white.

jam

CE Viz

#47 Post by jam »

This version really does put the "BOW-WOW!" into Puppy - as far as looks are concerned, it really ups the ante.

Great work! Looking forward to the final release.

WhoDo: Have you considered using that as a possible slogan for the final reelease of 2.15 CE "Viz"? "Put the BOW-WOW! in your life using Puppy 2.15 CE!!!"
Jam

WhoDo

Re: CE Viz

#48 Post by WhoDo »

jam wrote:This version really does put the "BOW-WOW!" into Puppy - as far as looks are concerned, it really ups the ante.

Great work! Looking forward to the final release.

WhoDo: Have you considered using that as a possible slogan for the final reelease of 2.15 CE "Viz"? "Put the BOW-WOW! in your life using Puppy 2.15 CE!!!"
Yep! In fact it's already a part of the Puppy Language Dictionary! :P

jam

Bow-Wow! Slogan

#49 Post by jam »

Cool! I'm sure users will bite into this! LOL!!!
Jam

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

Er, one problem with that pawprint.

It looks more like a cat than a dog, eh? Don't dog footprints show the claws, while cats have them retracted?

:lol:

Coranth

Vista Theme

#51 Post by Coranth »

Pizzasgood wrote: In terms of a Puppy CE, I'd much rather it didn't try to mimic Vista. I have no problem with other derivatives doing it, or including such a theme, but the CE Puppies are supposed to be more official, and it doesn't seem like a very moral thing to do (not that other businesses would hesitate, but we aren't MS). Besides, abandoning the mimic mindset brings more variety.
I think WhoDo isn't trying to mimic Vista. I think he's sorta taking a jab at MS; he's saying "Yeah, you guys can do Vista, but -we- (the Puppy Community) can do it too... and our 'Vista' is better than yours 'cause it's free!" Hehehe...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#52 Post by Lobster »

Early Puppys emulated a generic Win 95 look and feel
2.14 has XP themes
2.15 has Vista themes

They are of course simplified and honed to work faster, mostly by no involvement of the bloat mentality of wasting resources on the operating system (remind me what an operating system is again? - just to run software? Or just to run itself?)

Some themes are considered generic
Puppy also utlises similar Apple, Ubuntu and other themes that people may find familiar

This is a courtesy to those new to Puppy or familiar with floating a Linux bloat

You have a choice. Something that those having Vista fiested on them are finding is not an option . . .

. . . as screenshots appear you will find diversity is permissible . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Screenshots

Viva the Viz Voosh
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#53 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:You have a choice. Something that those having Vista fiested on them are finding is not an option . . .

. . . as screenshots appear you will find diversity is permissible . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Screenshots

Viva the Viz Voosh
Just had a browse through the revised 2.15CE section of the wiki - link above - and was so pleased with what I saw that I am moved to post a public WELL DONE for both Lobster and puppyfan12!

It is very well organized, cataloged and maintained, although through my own fault I note several edits under my name that I definitely didn't make. In fairness, though, I didn't notice any that were negative in nature.

Again WELL DONE GUYS!

Cheers.

puppyfan12

#54 Post by puppyfan12 »

WhoDo wrote:Just had a browse through the revised 2.15CE section of the wiki - link above - and was so pleased with what I saw that I am moved to post a public WELL DONE for both Lobster and puppyfan12!

It is very well organized, cataloged and maintained, although through my own fault I note several edits under my name that I definitely didn't make. In fairness, though, I didn't notice any that were negative in nature.

Again WELL DONE GUYS!

Cheers.
Thank you WhoDo. I've been busy this week but I hope to get it updated and more accurate again asap. I've learned a lot about puppy reading through all the documentation while traveling without internet access over the past day or so and hopefully will be able to contribute more than just wiki updates in the future.

I was glad to come across /usr/share/doc/index.html and find tons of documentation that will save me a lot of time. The page on reg. expressions in puppy was a nice find as well as that's something I've always meant to learn but never taken the time to do yet. I know it's a skill that will save me immeasurable amounts of time.
Joe D.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Viz Style

#55 Post by Lobster »

The above uses the glass theme that I think is ideal for Puppy. WhoDo (Warren) is working on refining these - a bit of spot colour maybe? Not sure.

Should we be working towards final feature set and deciding on default style?

. . . there is a program that MU did a dotpup for that places programs in a bar in the middle screen base?

I would like to use them in the offline web page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215WebPage
but can not until they are in RC1 - our next Viz BETA release (the sooner the better)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#56 Post by MU »

Lobster:
I think you talk about tablaunch:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 693&t=3892
Mark

richard.a

#57 Post by richard.a »

I downloaded it just before I went to bed last night and been playing with it live since about 8am this morning (it's 2.15pm currently).

I like it immensely.

I don't seem to get the Media Player to work which is sad. Sound is working in the "woof" and with clicking on the filenames of .wav and .mp3 files.

I can't unmount and/or eject the CD to play a music CD, either. Or play a DVD (there are two optical drives on the machine). In the end it all locked up, and because it was my first spin of the CD I didn't get the option to create a save file :(

Being "visually challenged" (how I dislike politically correct jargon" I have difficulties seeing the writing on the menus and taskbar/panel of the default theme.

It was by accident I discovered the item above logout on the menu, Settings > Themes which allowed changing the black taskbar and menu with spidery grey text into something visible for someone who wears specs. Maybe this could be better publicised?

A button on the desktop for network browser (LinNeighborhood) similar to not just MS Windows but the majority of Linux distributions that use buttons. How about it please? Even with the reshuffling of menu items as described on another thread, to avoid duplications and stuff, it is an important button for those who run on a LAN.

It was delightful to use this version of Puppy; in fact I've looked at the LXP website several times in the last month wondering... so thank you folks. I certainly give it a thumbs up :)

I voted on the default browser thread, and explained why I voted the way I did. If you want to know, go visit :)

Richard in very hot Adelaide - steenking hot
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

lvds

#58 Post by lvds »

Hi,

About the background screen, for the Community Edition release i would like to submit the following picture :D

High resolution available here:

http://www.clubic.com/fond-ecran-18945- ... ation.html

Best regards,
Laurent.
Attachments
puppy215CE.jpg
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 959 times

richard.a

#59 Post by richard.a »

I like that pic :)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

richard.a

#60 Post by richard.a »

While Tux Population is nearly a meg in size and possibly shouldn't be added to the distributionfor that reason, I've fought the French language pages <grin> and am hosting the image at http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/wallpap ... lation.jpg
for anyone who might be interested in this 1280 x 960 jpg.

Enjoy

Richard
It's hot again in Adelaide :(Image
Office with tux-population

Standard with tux-population

Standard looking like Solaris with the JDS3 desktop