Sony mini disc usage with Puppy??

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

Sony mini disc usage with Puppy??

#1 Post by greengeek »

Does anyone have any experience with Sony minidisc reading or writing on Puppy? (or other Linux)?

cheers!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This looks like a good place to start looking.
https://www.openhub.net/p/linux-minidisc
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ GG:-

No doubt it can be done, but don't forget one thing; as with so much stuff produced by Sony, much of the formatting/connections/method of 'doing' stuff is totally proprietary. Part of Sony's ongoing efforts over the years to lock you into their particular 'ecosystem', of course.

Good luck with it, anyway. I'd be interested to see how you make out with it.

Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

one of the reasons minidiscs never got the popularity the ingenious format deserved was SONYs insistence of making it impossible to transfer decent quality sound from players into computers and vice versa.

I had a portable one and gave up in the end...sold it and it failed for the new owner straight away...junk eh.

I digress.... for some reason it was believed there would be mass pirating using the format rather than the simply burning CDs from CDs.!

The annoying aspect is that the restrictive software not only prevents copying of someone elses material it also prevent transferring your own original music so useless as a serious musicians tool.

Their Sonic Stage stuff was painfully locked down and even had to have a hard coded layout windows install to allow it to work.
Linux..forget it.

Digital real time transfer is your only option... can be done on linux or windows fairly easily but you may find only soundcards from the last decade will let you do bit perfect transfers...I managed to find an old CMI one.

Technology without the freedom to use it sucks basically

mike

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:Digital real time transfer is your only option... can be done on linux or windows fairly easily but you may find only soundcards from the last decade will let you do bit perfect transfers...I managed to find an old CMI one.
Yes, i think i am going to have to shelve this one. It doesn't seem likely that i will be able to find any kind of MD recorder to plug into my PC and write from Linux.

The reason i wanted to do this was that i had to upgrade my 1993 car recently and the Caldina I bought has an MD player in the radio. I figured that being smaller than CDs the MD might be worth a go - but it looks like Sony made it all too hard.

cheers!