Using extern SSd Drive as a Cheap Substitute for Flashdrive

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
backi

Using extern SSd Drive as a Cheap Substitute for Flashdrive

#1 Post by backi »

Hi you guys !

Did a bit research for Topic how to use a SSD (Solid State Drive ) as an external portable Device .
So i bought a cheap USB 3.0 to SATA Kabel, USB 3.0 Kabel SATA for 2.5 HDD SSD on Amazon (just an Example ) .

10 Bucks (Euro)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01E3QSG3Y/ref ... 1f026692ee

and for 20 Bucks (Euro) :
128 gb Intenso SSD

https://www.amazon.de/Intenso-interne-S ... B0093RN0PI

Just plugged the SSd to the Adapter and plug it into a free Usb Slot .
Format it with Gparted and use it like a (portable) Usb-Flash Drive or like a portable Hardrive now.

Cool .....should have known earlier .
Think it is even less expensive than buying Usb-Sticks
Much more Storage for less Money .....and quite fast(er) .

Of course you can replace your magnetic Hardrive with SSD still .

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Good idea - i did the same thing.

I got a 120GB Apacer "Panther" after seeing some reviews (here is a review of the 240GB version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htkqPK107_Q

Very light plastic housing and easy to carry in pocket. It was about NZ$30

I had trouble choosing a usb to SATA cable - some had two usb connectors, some had large boxes on the end of the cable, some needed external power connected. One did not work at all. Different SSDs benefit from different cable configs i think.

I currently have a cable with 2 usb plugs but i am still trying other cables too as I want to find one with a single usb cable so it is tidy and leaves the other usb slot free.

The Panther only uses a small current draw so perfect with usb2.
Attachments
panther.jpg
(9.24 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

It seems a waste using ssd with usb2, rather than hdd - do you use it because it is more robust for carrying around?
My motherboard died recently and I made sure to get a new machine with usb3, to see if I got better speed from my usb3 portable hdd. I did, but only a little (IIRC it went from 60MB/s to 70), so it wasn't really worth it, but it seems to show that a hdd maxes out the usb2, therefore there can't be any speed benefit using ssd, and it is still about 10x the price.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

backi

#4 Post by backi »

Hi you guys !
Interesting Topic .

Here is the Topic also discussed :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115395

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:
It seems a waste using ssd with usb2, rather than hdd - do you use it because it is more robust for carrying around?
Oh, and because it doesn't need external power I guess?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

disciple wrote:It seems a waste using ssd with usb2, rather than hdd - do you use it because it is more robust for carrying around?.
You're right about it being a waste on usb2 but there were several reasons i did this:
1) It was on special at PBTech for $29.95 This seemed pretty good for 128GB so i just had to get it :-)

2) I was interested to see if data transfer was faster than my usb sticks. It was definitely faster although my PC has a mix of usb 1.1 and usb2 ports so the gain is only noticeable in some ports...

3) I felt that SSD should in theory be more robust than usb sticks. No real justification for this feeling but I figured if it is marketed as an SSD it must be built to carry critical data reliably. As it turns out I see that this drive has a 3 year warranty versus some other drives (some Crucial and Samsung models) having 5 year warranty - so obviously there is variation between drives as far as reliability goes.

4) My internal HDD was full and contained heaps of family photos and other critical stuff and I just needed more working space. It somehow felt wrong using a tiny usb stick or SD card to hold that type of thing. It just seemed right to have a physically bigger drive to put those files on. It is big enough not to slip into a crack in the couch and go unnoticed forever. It is a "real" drive, rather than a postage stamp SD.

5) Although my PC lacks usb3 i do share data with other people who have newer PCs - so the speed gain is valuable when swapping data.

I have since upgraded my external SSD to a Crucial 500Gb drive as my main working drive (in addition to the full internal HDD). 500GB is big enough to use as a long term backup for years worth of files, and I will just use the Panther for data transfer with other people - it seems ideal for that given it's robust plastic housing and low current draw. Just need to find a cable like Backi's - with the single usb connecter. Then it will be tidier and more portable.

The other thing I liked about the SSD is that it sits on the end of a flexible cable so is much less likely to damage my usb port as happens when you have a usb stick hanging out and the dog jumps up on the couch :evil:

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ GG:-

Just found one of these on eBay UK:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Computer-2-5 ... 0005.m1851

A 120 GB SATA III SSD, complete with its own case that's fitted with a SATA III to USB 3.0 'bridge card'. So all you need is a normal, double-ended USB 3.0 cable....standard 'A' one end, and that funny-looking 'double Micro 'B'' at t'other....

This is the same 'bridge card' set-up as fitted to the majority of external USB HDDs.

Mike. :wink:

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Hi GeenGeek and everybody !

Thank you guys for interesting Infos .

What GeenGeek described was almost identical whith my Motivations.

Few Days ago bought a refurbished second Hand Dell Precision M6600 for 300 Bucks (euro) from a Shop well-established reputation (not exactly sure if i did good Deal )......nevertheless quite happy with the Machine it really rocks ....compared to my old Toshiba L40 .....
There is a an eSata Port Outside (like an Usb Port ).

Could it be used to plug in this external SSD via Adapter.Would probably be faster than USB3? .....so my Assumption .
If yes .....which Adapter/Tweaks/Tools are necessary ?

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

I don't think its a waste if going 64Gb+. Finding a USB2 256Gb drive seems a lot more handy than several 32Gb sticks (stubbies). I would presume such drives are not exFAT. If they are, then its a waste of time/$$$.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

backi wrote:nevertheless quite happy with the Machine it really rocks ....compared to my old Toshiba L40 .....
There is a an eSata Port Outside (like an Usb Port ).

Could it be used to plug in this external SSD via Adapter.Would probably be faster than USB3? ....
Hmmm, I don't know... Do you have a pic of the port? What connector does it use?

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Hi Greengeek !

I got it working on this Esata/Esatap/esata-Combo Port???via sata3 to USB Adapter :
https://www.amazon.de/USB-SATA-Adapter- ... B00HJZJI84

But i am still not quite sure which Type of Port it is .(Esatap or Esata Combo???)
It looks like this :
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

or this one LEFT :
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

Esatap ------p means Power .There are Differences to Esata .
So i also probably could have bought a Sata 3 to Esata-p Adapter .
Esatap ports gives a Current via Port to external SSD`s and 2,5 external HardDrives via appropriate/compatible Esatap Adapters ----as far as i understood ??
Quite confusing .

Nevertheless .......found an empty Hardrive Slot inside my Laptop and plugged my SSD there ....now running fine ....probably faster than on this esata or esatap or whatever Port outside .

Esata -Esatap -Usb2 -Usb3---Sata2---Sata3 .....anyway confused ,,,,
But still find the Idea cool... using SSD as a portable Storage Device and cheap Alternative to Usb Stick ..no matter how fast .

Regards !

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Forgot to mention ......can boot Os from SSD via Esata...

Here some good Explanations/Definitions about esata/Esatap Hybrid .

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term ... ybrid-port

slavvo67

#13 Post by slavvo67 »

I guess another advantage would be more durability when you inevitably drop the thing. As SSDs do not have moving parts, in theory they should be much more durable when dropped.