Attempting to install openvpn-2.4.6

Booting, installing, newbie
Scott99

#21 Post by Scott99 »

OK, so now I am trying to install openvpn with windscribe on my CF-29 which has a frugal installation of Xenialpup 7.5. After downloading and installing opvenvpn in the root I am getting "bash : openvpn : command not found, when I type: openvpn --config Windscribe-US-East.ovpn. Please advise. Thanks in advance for your help. Scott
Attachments
openvpn.png
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

OscarTalks

#22 Post by OscarTalks »

If you get command not found when trying to run openvpn it means you have not successfully installed it.
Oscar in England

Scott99

#23 Post by Scott99 »

OscarTalks wrote:If you get command not found when trying to run openvpn it means you have not successfully installed it.
Here is a screen shot of the result when use the make command.
Attachments
result of make command.png
(147.83 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

OscarTalks

#24 Post by OscarTalks »

What happened when you followed that up with make install?
Oscar in England

Scott99

#25 Post by Scott99 »

OscarTalks wrote:What happened when you followed that up with make install?
Here are screen shots showing the results from ./configure and make install. Thanks, Scott
Attachments
make install.png
(162.26 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Configure2.png
(134.93 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

As previously mentioned, you need to add the --prefix=/usr argument to ./configure
Enter ./configure --prefix=/usr
Followed by make
Followed by make install

Failure to add the --prefix=/usr argument will result in the openvpn executable being installed in /usr/local/sbin instead of /usr/sbin

/usr/local/sbin is not in your executable PATH locations so it will not be found
/usr/sbin on the other hand is in your executable PATH (the group of locations where executable binaries are found).
Oscar in England

Scott99

#27 Post by Scott99 »

OscarTalks wrote:As previously mentioned, you need to add the --prefix=/usr argument to ./configure
Enter ./configure --prefix=/usr
Followed by make
Followed by make install

Ok, I did this but when I ran make and make install I got the same result. I realize that I've been jumping all over the place. Is there somewhere that explains the process of installing and configuring openvpn, step by step, from downloading, unzipping, installing and configuring the deb package, to ovpn --configure Windscribe-US-East.ovpn? Right now I'm flipping around through several threads. Thanks, Scott

Failure to add the --prefix=/usr argument will result in the openvpn executable being installed in /usr/local/sbin instead of /usr/sbin

/usr/local/sbin is not in your executable PATH locations so it will not be found
/usr/sbin on the other hand is in your executable PATH (the group of locations where executable binaries are found).

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

Maybe you need a "make clean".

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-plugin-auth-pam
This works fine for me, "make install" installs openvpn in /usr/sbin and plugins in /usr/lib/openvpn/

Fred

OscarTalks

#30 Post by OscarTalks »

Scott99 wrote: Is there somewhere that explains the process of installing and configuring openvpn, step by step, from downloading, unzipping, installing and configuring the deb package, to ovpn --configure Windscribe-US-East.ovpn?
Sounds like you have succeeded in doing all this at least once before and are just having problems repeating the process.

I think it would be easier for people to guide you on individual steps you are getting stuck on.

In Puppy, rule of thumb is to use ./configure --prefix=/usr

If you discover you have inadvertently forgotten to add --prefix=/usr and therefore installed everything under /usr/local/

Uninstall the files which are in the wrong place by entering make uninstall in terminal which must be open inside the extracted source directory (same as when you configured and installed).

Then enter make clean
Then enter make distclean

This restores everything in the source directory back to how it was when first extracted..

Now repeat the steps
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
Oscar in England

Scott99

#31 Post by Scott99 »

Thanks again Oscar. I followed your instructions and it worked. I did need to type modprobe tun and figured this out after several aborted attempts.