Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Oct 2019, 14:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 193 of 197 [2943 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 Next
sickpig

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2019, 00:36    Post subject:  

what i did in my quest for a light weight, rock solid stable and lightning fast os is as follows:

got debian cd lxde around 600 mb
intel wifi driver

installed it
did not use lxde though

used openbox with xfce panel
not the entire xfce DE with its bloated WM
just installed xfce-panel and xfce-goodies, thats all u need to get a functional panel with good plugins for battery, volume, notes etc.

login to just openbox and add xfce-panel to autostart

base os ram under 200 mb = check
stable os = check
choice of packages = u cant beat sheer number of packages in debian apt-get = check
lightning fast = check
quick boot = check

and most important of all no video tearing in netflix - such a relief
sickpig

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2019, 00:42    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
sickpig wrote:
stumbled across q4os the other day
its most notable feature - plays tear free videos ootb on my system.
i have tried various distros but there is video tearing across all
But no such issue in q4os. it seems to be most suited for my hardware for playing netflix at the moment.
also with lxde it isn't resource hungry at all

Do you have any trouble getting wifi to work in Q40s? I put it on a little old laptop I put together (had a couple of HP Pavilion DV2000, and stuck a good screen on one with cracked screen but good motherboard, etc. etc.). Anyhow,...Trinity desktop did OK setting up wifi,...but can't get LXQT to work. The Trinity desktop is nice and quick on old laptops, though. I really prefer LXQT desktop,...but so far,...no wifi.

EDIT: oh nevermind,...seems that even in the Trinity desktop on Q4os,..wifi won't work for me on these old laptops. No problem at all connecting with a Puppy (Xenial 7.0.1).
I really like the idea of Q4os, though. Nice small Debian distro that works on older stuff (if I could only get the wifi going).
I'm going to go look for another small distro (besides Antix) to slap on and see what happens. The distro HAS to fit on a CD, though (this old laptop won't do DVDs or USB boots).

no mate, q4 detected my wifi adapter ootb
nitehawk

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2019, 17:50    Post subject:  

sickpig wrote:

Well,..Busenlabs seems to be the right fit for that particular laptop. Works like a charm. You're right about small Debian distros...light and fast with all that software! Openbox will take a learning curve for me (haven't used it in a long time, since CrunchBang).
I'm beginning to figure out how to edit the menu, though. Editing the Openbox menu seems to be the only thing I really need to do with Busenlabs,...everything else works just fine the way it is.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 05:16    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
sickpig wrote:

Well,..Busenlabs seems to be the right fit for that particular laptop. Works like a charm. You're right about small Debian distros...light and fast with all that software! Openbox will take a learning curve for me (haven't used it in a long time, since CrunchBang).
I'm beginning to figure out how to edit the menu, though. Editing the Openbox menu seems to be the only thing I really need to do with Bunsenlabs,...everything else works just fine the way it is.

This might help, nitie;

http://obmenu.sourceforge.net/

When I'm in CrunchBang (which is a close relative of Bunsen), I tend to use DMenu for launching everything; I think it's accessed by Alt-F3. It's much easier than editing the menu file directly.

Same with using Openbox in straight *Debian; I keep just a handful of programs such as gkrellm, spacefm and tint2 on the Openbox menu file and access the rest through dmenu.

I also like Fluxbox, although it's not as advanced as Openbox, because the configuration files are text files and much easier to edit by hand than Openbox ones are.

*And Devuan too (which I'm using now).

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, CrunchBang++ 10.1, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large and Pardus 17.5 Deepin.
nitehawk

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 16:24    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

This might help, nitie;

When I'm in CrunchBang (which is a close relative of Bunsen), I tend to use DMenu for launching everything; I think it's accessed by Alt-F3. It's much easier than editing the menu file directly.

Same with using Openbox in straight *Debian; I keep just a handful of programs such as gkrellm, spacefm and tint2 on the Openbox menu file and access the rest through dmenu.

I also like Fluxbox, although it's not as advanced as Openbox, because the configuration files are text files and much easier to edit by hand than Openbox ones are.

Yes, that is pretty helpful! I have been kind of floundering around trying to figure things out on my own. Having some info could sure help. Also,...I'll look into that DMenu.
Thanks
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 16:45    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

This might help, nitie;

Yes, that is pretty helpful! I have been kind of floundering around trying to figure things out on my own. Having some info could sure help. Also,...I'll look into that DMenu.
Thanks

You're welcome! There's also a forum that might help;

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/

I really wouldn't be without dmenu now, particularly with the type of lightweight distros I use these days; it will find programs from consecutive letters in the name even if the program's name doesn't start with those letters, which is invaluable if you're not quite sure what the program is called exactly.

Both Helium and CrunchBang++ come with it installed as standard so you won't need to install it yourself. It's listed as Alt Menu on the right, under "Shortcut Keys".

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, CrunchBang++ 10.1, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large and Pardus 17.5 Deepin.

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 28 Jan 2019, 16:31; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 21:17    Post subject:  

A couple of recent security updates and a reliability update showing for OpenBSD https://www.openbsd.org/errata64.html ... I track current so updated ... 20 minute job to download the latest 10MB bsd.rd ramdisk ... boot and run through the cli update process, reboot and pkg_add -u to update all packages. Seemed quicker after a 12 hour WoofE (EasyOS) build that I ran through today (Ubuntu Beaver).
s.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.34 KB
 Viewed   1001 Time(s)

s.jpg

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
nitehawk

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

Does anyone have experience with Connochaetos Linux?
It's based on 14.2 Slackware & Salix (that's all I know). I put BusenLabs Linux on my
HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop (and it is doing very well).
Now,...I have become the proud owner of a REAL OLDIE ...an
HP Pavilion ze4300. Think it has about 1gb ram, and 50gb hard drive,..running
Windows XP. I wanted Slackware,...but am fresh out of DVDs, and even Salix
is too big now for a CD. Laptop won't boot off of USB (I think).
Anyhow,...came across Connochaetos Linux, but don't have any experience
with it. Going to give it a try and see.

EDIT: OK,...so far I have it installed. Installer was almost exactly like Slackware. Looks very nice and clean when booted (uses Icewm). But it won't find my wifi. Otherwise,...it's just a nice, clean Slackware distro. If I can get the wifi going, I'll keep in on that old laptop. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board (Antix might do well on this one).
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan 2019, 00:49    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Connochaetos Linux?
It's based on 14.2 Slackware & Salix (that's all I know). I put BusenLabs Linux on my
HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop (and it is doing very well).
Now,...I have become the proud owner of a REAL OLDIE ...an
HP Pavilion ze4300. Think it has about 1gb ram, and 50gb hard drive,..running
Windows XP. I wanted Slackware,...but am fresh out of DVDs, and even Salix
is too big now for a CD. Laptop won't boot off of USB (I think).
Anyhow,...came across Connochaetos Linux, but don't have any experience
with it. Going to give it a try and see.

EDIT: OK,...so far I have it installed. Installer was almost exactly like Slackware. Looks very nice and clean when booted (uses Icewm). But it won't find my wifi. Otherwise,...it's just a nice, clean Slackware distro. If I can get the wifi going, I'll keep in on that old laptop. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board (Antix might do well on this one).

Hi again nitie,

I used it a while back, but found I had to launch any application I wanted to use by typing its name in a terminal; you may be luckier. It did work though, after a fashion. It's part of the Free Software Foundation (FOSS) so they frown on your using closed source software like Opera (as I found from experience on their forum), although Opera 12 does work well on it.

Another thing I found (again, this is just my experience) was that I couldn't boot it from GRUB; it either booted from its own boot manager (LILO) or not at all.

P.S. As far as I know it's no longer being developed because not enough people were donating.

P.P.S. I've just followed your example and installed Bunsen Helium! It's working well but I'm still not keen on the rather sombre grey - blue- black default theme; maybe I'll change it later.

[EDIT: I've not only changed it but I switched to fluxbox as the window manager and added a few themes from AntiX;
Workspace 1_002.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Workspace 1_002.jpg 
Filesize  233.07 KB 
Downloaded  90 Time(s) 

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 16:16; edited 5 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan 2019, 03:00    Post subject:  

Hi, all.

Has anybody tried MIYO, a Devuan derivative?

TIA.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan 2019, 06:48    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi, all.

Has anybody tried MIYO, a Devuan derivative?

TIA.

Hi musher,

Yes, briefly about a year ago. It looked good but I wasn't able to set up internet access on it, so I didn't stick with it for long.

norgo

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 19:16    Post subject: LxQt on Raspberry Pi3  

ArchLinux (AArch64) and LXQt 0.14.0 on Raspberry Pi3

I have to say a hard fight Smile
but I like LXQt
rpi3_lxqt14.jpg
 Description   LXQt 14.0
 Filesize   174.89 KB
 Viewed   669 Time(s)

rpi3_lxqt14.jpg

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2019, 03:44    Post subject:  

I've just installed OpenSUSE 15.1 Beta. It's working well except that I've so far been unable to play "on-page" videos on sites like WTA and Twitter.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 16:01    Post subject:  

OpenBSD 6.5
s.png
 Description   
 Filesize   106.13 KB
 Viewed   384 Time(s)

s.png

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 19:07    Post subject:  

I've just upgraded Pardus to the new version (17.5), and it's working well;
Workspace 2_003.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Workspace 2_003.jpg 
Filesize  228.59 KB 
Downloaded  155 Time(s) 

Page 193 of 197 [2943 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: