Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Mar 2019, 23:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-800RC [13 Feb 2019]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2019, 07:24    Post subject:  

bluez package no longer has bt-audio, it seems.

I have not examined the difference between this package and the one in fatdog-721, but maybe audio connection is now through 'bluealsa', but my bluetooth app you referenced in the first post does not connect audio service in 800RC.

Also using 'prt sc' to capture areas of the screen places the image in /root. So that when trying to upload to forum using seamonkey, images are not accessible by spot ... they then need to be copied into spot /root directory.

EDIT: bluetoothctl is installed: it wasnt in 721. This maybe useful.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21859564/bluetoothctl-to-hcitool-equivalent-commands
xscreenshot-20190220T111836.png
 Description   
 Filesize   16.66 KB
 Viewed   573 Time(s)

xscreenshot-20190220T111836.png

xscreenshot-20190220T111858.png
 Description   
 Filesize   9.4 KB
 Viewed   572 Time(s)

xscreenshot-20190220T111858.png

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
bluez package no longer has bt-audio, it seems.

This was provided by bluez-tools package in 721. In 800, bluez-tools no longer provides this as the same functionality can now be done using bt-connect.

Quote:
I have not examined the difference between this package and the one in fatdog-721, but maybe audio connection is now through 'bluealsa', but my bluetooth app you referenced in the first post does not connect audio service in 800RC.
Oops. I was under the impression you did this for the 800 series and therefore has taken into account the changes in 800.

The change is basically because we use bluez-5.x. Bluez-5 is a major change, they drop a lot of the tools and change the way things work behind the scenes. Bluez-tools also removed a lot of their tools because bluez-5 no longer provides the API to work with it.

Quote:
Also using 'prt sc' to capture areas of the screen places the image in /root. So that when trying to upload to forum using seamonkey, images are not accessible by spot ... they then need to be copied into spot /root directory.
Yes. This is by design. This is to prevent you accidentally take an embarassing screenshot which is accidentally shared with the rest of the world ....

But if you really want screenshots to be saved to /home/spot automatically, just edit /etc/xdg/Startup/xscreenshot and add the parameter "-p /home/spot/xscreenshot" to the "exec" line you see there. Then logout and login again.

Quote:
EDIT: bluetoothctl is installed: it wasnt in 721. This maybe useful.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21859564/bluetoothctl-to-hcitool-equivalent-commands
bluetoothctl is the "new" CLI tool from bluez.
stemsee

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2019, 15:11    Post subject:  

Excellent stuff. I will rewrite the script to take advantage of the bluetoothctl and anything else I can find. But I already connected a speaker using bluetoothctl interactive mode. Yes, it is much easier and more reliable. I also found how to pipe to bluetoothctl so both options will be available if useful.

I will also simply link to fd bluetooth tether in the command section. If the mac address can be piped to the script.
don570

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2019, 20:20    Post subject:  

Suggestion...

When 'Reboot' is selected from menu there is a warning message...
however it should remind user to save open documents.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2019, 06:27    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
This was provided by bluez-tools package in 721. In 800, bluez-tools no longer provides this as the same functionality can now be done using bt-connect.
err bt-connect is not in bluez5 but bluetoothctl connect.

Actually to connect a bluetooth audio device is like this

Code:
bluetoothctl
bluetoothctl#scan on
bluetoothctl#devices
bluetoothctl#pair $mac
bluetoothctl#trust $mac
bluetoothctl#connect $mac

or non interactively
Code:
echo -e "scan on" | bluetoothctl
echo -e "devices" | bluetoothctl
echo -e "pair $mac" | bluetoothctl
echo -e "trust $mac" | bluetoothctl
echo -e "connect $mac" | bluetoothctl

or
Code:
bluetoothctl scan on
bluetoothctl scan off
bluetoothctl devices
bluetoothctl pair $mac
bluetoothctl trust $mac
bluetoothctl connect $mac

Audio Services available seem to be auto-found.

Last edited by stemsee on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 08:07; edited 2 times in total
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 03:39    Post subject:  

I usually run Fatdog64 in RAM without any save file, the existing remind message on reboot or shutdown seems OK to me and i have already got used to it . Thanks
b.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   89.71 KB
 Viewed   274 Time(s)

b.jpg

a.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   85.82 KB
 Viewed   275 Time(s)

a.jpg

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 05:10    Post subject:  

Running 800RC now, Clicking on a jpeg file in ROX-Filer cannot open the jpeg file, and nothing happens.
c.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   27.07 KB
 Viewed   258 Time(s)

c.jpg

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 05:26    Post subject:  

in 800 alpha/beta, there is the numlock light issue :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114719&start=45

the numlock light issue seems still remains in 800RC. Thanks
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 06:21    Post subject:  

Thanks for the report.

@don570: I will change tthe message a bit.

RE: JPEG issue - foxpup found that too, with the fixes: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1018595#1018595/ We have already fixed it for Final.

RE: numlock issue: Does this fix it?
a) Open COntrol Panel, navigate to Desktop tab
b) Then open "Manage desktop startup programs", then click the "System startup program"
c) Scroll down and you will see "numlock off" or "numlock on". Choose one of them, and then click "enable"

Let me know if that solves your issue.

stemsee

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 06:31    Post subject:  

Hi all

The remastering function is slightly flawed in the case where there is enough room to do the remaster, but not enough room also for the iso image. What happens then is a partly made iso remains and all 'usefully complete' remaster objects get deleted.

Ideally the calculation to take into account the size of system + basesfs + iso. And/or make a further calculation before creating the iso and leaving said objects if not enough room available. Or after creating the basesfs and initrd delete the copied system, and then proceed with the iso creation.

stemsee

Last edited by stemsee on Sun 24 Feb 2019, 06:43; edited 1 time in total
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 06:39    Post subject: numlock issue
Subject description: suggestion

I had the numlock issue in xenial64pup, also with the shiftlock.
Adding
Code:
modprobe input-leds
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local solved it for me then.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 06:47    Post subject:  

@foxpup: On my desktop I found that input_leds is already loaded (by udev). That being said there is a possibility that Xorg starts up before udev finish loading this module, so the problem. In this case, the solution is to add "input_leds" to /etc/modules (so it gets loaded much earlier, before udev is even started). I don't want to do this by default because not everybody is having the same problem and I'm not sure of the hazard of loading this module for systems that don't need it.

Of course, modprobe-in it via /etc/rc.d/rc.local works too. Many ways to skin the cat Very Happy

EDIT:

@stemsee - The size estimation is based on how big is the uncompressed filesystem. We're estimating that we can compress at least half of this (this will be the size of the SFS), and then the ISO will be about the same size as the SFS; thus we expect that the total size of temporary files + ISO will be about as big as the uncompressed filesystem. Of course how true / correct is this, depends on:
a) how compressible is the content, and
b) compression method (lz4

I can compensate for (b) by multiplying the required size by a fudge factor based on the compression method chose; but I cannot compensate for (a) other than adding a safety factor.

stemsee

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 07:10    Post subject:  

So, seems to me, the best option, avoiding arbitrary guess work, would be to make a calculation just before creating the iso, if not enough room stop the remaster leaving created objects.

Because in my personal scenario 99% of my remasters is just to update the basesfs with a few script edits and then replace the basesfs on a frugal install. (basesfs update) maybe another function to add, combining an update sfs to the basesfs.

Last edited by stemsee on Sun 24 Feb 2019, 11:32; edited 1 time in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019, 11:29    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
So, seems to me, the best option, avoiding arbitrary guess work, would be to make a calculation just before creating the iso, if not enough room stop the remaster leaving created objects.

Not a bad idea. We'll still do an estimation at the beginning but if the save location can't hold the ISO we'll bail out rather than producing incomplete ISO.

WB7ODYFred

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019, 03:14    Post subject: Joplin Note taking application, ask for testing  

Joplin Note taking application

https://joplin.cozic.net
https://electronjs.org/apps/joplin

wget to download and install to a Linux from a terminal window.
Code:
wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/laurent22/joplin/master/Joplin_install_and_update.sh | bash

or Download from here on github:

https://github.com/laurent22/joplin

Other URL articles about Joplin Notes application operation and useage
https://opensource.com/article/17/12/joplin-open-source-evernote-alternative
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/joplin-encrypted-open-source-note.html

As an American using an Android phone Motorola Moto E5 model, I found it amazing to install and Use Joplin from Google Play. Make a note by clicking, but instead of hunting and pecking on the virtual keyboard, I choose to click the little microphone on the upper right hand side of the keyboard and then speak my note into existence! Wow!
Then from Debian 9 Q4OS using Joplin, I could print my notes into a PDF file for sharing or printing or emailing. The Todo check boxes for a ToDo list was a good addition.

I tried installing on Fatdog64 800 Beta and got an error in trying to execute Joplin. I don't have the error information handy to share here now, just my feeble memory :>).
The Joplin Electron app does work in LinuxMint 19.1 Teresa without errors and in http://Q4OS.org Debian 9 Sid version.
I wanted to note this here now before RC is released. I will test soon on my 800RC installation and report back here my errors in a future edit. Welcome comments and other error reports. Yes, I believe the 800RC is great and that the included apps work well together. I just want to support Electron apps and/or AppImages that others might use in the future. Here, Joplin is just a test case. Yes, you can't have everything included because the base size gets too large.

Thanks James Bond, and other developers for a wonderful FatDog64 experience with a small linux package.

Fred

Here is my pastebin copy of the Joplin install on Linux Mint 19.1

https://pastebin.com/e3jekczW
Page 4 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: