BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sinc

#721 Post by sinc »

question about launching browsers faster.

when i click an application, I am primarily noticing it with the web browsers, i installed chromium and firefox is already installed, after I click the application it takes around 8 or 9 seconds before it opens for the first time. I *think* this is only occurring on the first time I launch the application after each reboot.
does this sound like it makes sense?
is there a way to have the web browsers as if the have already loaded once when the computer boots up and therefore will load faster when I click it?

btw... i am getting along nicely. ive upgraded all the packages and the kernel (via the kernel upgrader app) and reinstalled the linux headers so my rtl8812au would work again. im very happy to have chromium functioning. its all working very nicely.

i wanted to uninstall xterm bc it seems (from what little I know) that gnome terminal is more functional but there seems to be a lot of programs dependent on xterm. i think i will undertake trying to figure out if I can change the dependency from xterm to gnome terminal.

thanks all.

wiak

#722 Post by wiak »

sinc wrote: is there a way to have the web browsers as if the have already loaded once when the computer boots up and therefore will load faster when I click it?

i wanted to uninstall xterm bc it seems (from what little I know) that gnome terminal is more functional but there seems to be a lot of programs dependent on xterm. i think i will undertake trying to figure out if I can change the dependency from xterm to gnome terminal.

thanks all.
I guess you could actually load your preferred browser via say a simple shell script in /root/Startup and have that script then close the browser (or, if you generally always use browser anyway, just manually close it when you like...); presumably much would be then left in memory giving quick later browser startup (at cost of slower actual boot)?

If some of the programs you use depend on xterm why not just leave it in since main binary is only half a MB and extra libs or other components for it may well be needed in other terms or elsewhere anyway? i.e. Just install gnome-terminal as separate terminal. If you want gnome-terminal to pop-up from other apps rather than xterm I guess you could try something like renaming original xterm (say to xterm1 (or xtermORIGINAL) and then making xterm a symbolic link to gnome-terminal such that call to xterm will actually open up gnome-terminal?

Code: Select all

ln -s path_to_gnome_terminal /usr/bin/xterm
May or may not be useful (and perhaps cause other problems...) or maybe someone has better idea to do this anyway? By keeping original xterm the above at least allows you to put it all back to original if problems.

wiak

dancytron

#723 Post by dancytron »

sinc wrote:question about launching browsers faster.

when i click an application, I am primarily noticing it with the web browsers, i installed chromium and firefox is already installed, after I click the application it takes around 8 or 9 seconds before it opens for the first time. I *think* this is only occurring on the first time I launch the application after each reboot.
does this sound like it makes sense?
is there a way to have the web browsers as if the have already loaded once when the computer boots up and therefore will load faster when I click it?

btw... i am getting along nicely. ive upgraded all the packages and the kernel (via the kernel upgrader app) and reinstalled the linux headers so my rtl8812au would work again. im very happy to have chromium functioning. its all working very nicely.

thanks all.
you might try the answer in this thread.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2283045

sinc

#724 Post by sinc »

These are great ideas. Thanks Wiak and Dancytron!! I look forward to trying these out this evening.

Dancytron, i tried the links in the thread you mentioned and they were all old and did not work BUT i learned the terminology of what I wanted; I was looking for a preloader. So I searched synaptic and there was a program called preload and I am trying it out. We'll see how it works.

I can tell you though, its not my imagination, the first time i load chromium it takes 8 seconds, the second time it happens instantly. i'll report back about preload but I like the description of it.
Last edited by sinc on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

sinc

#725 Post by sinc »

Im sorry for not knowing how, Ive tried but can you tell me a simple script to open Chrome & Close chrome during boot. The 8 second delay is not fixed with the preload application so far on first use.

also, i purchased an AMD R7 240 and my understanding is that this is a dual screen monitorbut I cant make it work dual screen. Ive installed the package amdgpu but its still doesnt seem to be working.

am i missing something?

thanks so much.
Last edited by sinc on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

sinc

#726 Post by sinc »

Also, can you tell me how to set a password a startup so it requires a password to logon?

fredx181

#727 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sinc
Im sorry for not knowing how, Ive tried but can you tell me a simple script to open Chrome & Close chrome during boot. The 8 second delay is not fixed with the preload application so fart on first use.
Create a file in /root/Startup, name it, let's say, chrome-autostart
Open with texteditor, and paste this inside (you may want to edit the google-chrome commandline):

#!/bin/bash

google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --test-type
Make it executable:

chmod + /root/Startup/chrome-autostart
And next time login google-chrome should start.
Also, can you tell me how to set a password a startup so it requires a password to logon?
You need to to disable auto-login by editing '/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/getty@tty1.service' , e.g. with leafpad :

leafpad '/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/getty@tty1.service'
Find the line:

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a root --noclear %I 38400
And remove the -a root, so becomes this:

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear %I 38400
EDIT:
To change root's password (default is root, type in in terminal:

passwd root
Also you may want to install a login manager, e.g. slim or lightdm

Your other question about amdgpu I cannot answer.

Good luck, Fred

sinc

#728 Post by sinc »

thanks so much fred for your response. can you tell me the next line of code that will close chrome as well?

i dont necessarily want it to remain open, i just want it to have been previously opened and loaded into ram. bc the first time it opens it takes so long but the second time it opens immediately.

so essentially during start-up i'd like the program to open, load into ram, and close so that when I want to open it, it will be quicker. i dont mind if it slows down the boot process a little bit. honestly i've havent brought this up yet but the boot process takes a while on my system anyways. For some reason it takes a long time (well, multiple seconds) for X to start. When i'm booting i sit and look at a blank screen for a bit before it comes up ready to use.

thanks for the info about how to startup with a password. im trying to make this my main OS (i really like it) but need to have that startup security on there.

fredx181

#729 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sinc, ah, yes, forgot that you want it closed directly, a bit experimental, but this should do for the script in /root/Startup:

#!/bin/bash

google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --test-type &
sleep 10
kill $!
To explain: the "&" at the end of the chrome command makes it run in the background, then give it some time (sleep 10), this will happen during the Cinnamon startup, so probably you won't notice chrome opened , maybe increase the sleep time to e.g. 20, to actually see it opened (and closed).
The kill $! kills the last process that's running in the background (which is chrome)

Fred

quantumbox

#730 Post by quantumbox »

sinc wrote:thanks so much fred for your response. can you tell me the next line of code that will close chrome as well?

i dont necessarily want it to remain open, i just want it to have been previously opened and loaded into ram. bc the first time it opens it takes so long but the second time it opens immediately.

so essentially during start-up i'd like the program to open, load into ram, and close so that when I want to open it, it will be quicker. i dont mind if it slows down the boot process a little bit. honestly i've havent brought this up yet but the boot process takes a while on my system anyways. For some reason it takes a long time (well, multiple seconds) for X to start. When i'm booting i sit and look at a blank screen for a bit before it comes up ready to use.

thanks for the info about how to startup with a password. im trying to make this my main OS (i really like it) but need to have that startup security on there.
If you run cinnamon version you can simply add startup application from gui setting, just add following command

google-chrome --no-sandbox --no-startup-window --password-store=basic

--password-store=basic to disable keyring that asking password on first run
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 07-27-06.png
(48.69 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

keniv

#731 Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
I tried to install VLC using synaptic. The download and install seemed to go OK, however, it did not launch from Menu>Multimedia>VLC media player.
Below is the output I get when I try and launch from a terminal.

root@live:~# vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).
root@live:~# 
I have seen comments made about programs that refuse to run as root before on other threads but don't know what to do to fix it. I don't know how to use the vlc-wrapper. Can you point me in the right direction to get VLC to run as root.

Regards,

Ken.

backi

#732 Post by backi »

HI keniv !

Maybe try this little Script

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
vlc

save it as "vlc-as-root"
make it executable .......click on it after installing Vlc .....

probably after executing Script and saving Session ----Vlc should work from now on as usual .
Please report back if it worked ......

sinc

#733 Post by sinc »

Fred, thank you so much for your script. It did work as expected. Ultimately I ended up using quantumbox's solution which just seems a little cleaner. With the script for launch and close I would see chrome show on the taskbar and then disappear as X is starting. I tried reducing the time limit but then chrome didnt seem to get started and it did not reduce the startup time for chrome and thereby stopping its intended function. quantums solution seems to be working nicely.

thanks for telling me how to setup the password. i got the working. i tried to install lightdm from synaptic but it did not work. i didnt have time to play around with it trying to get it to work, but after the install it didnt work.

thanks so much.

if anyone else reads this and can help me get my dual monitor situation working i'd love the help!!!

thanks again.

keniv

#734 Post by keniv »

Hello backi,
Maybe try this little Script
Thanks for the script. It worked without a reboot and after reboot. I've kept it on my machine as presumably it could be adapted to any other program that will not run as root. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#735 Post by fredx181 »

sinc wrote:thanks for telling me how to setup the password. i got the working. i tried to install lightdm from synaptic but it did not work
Any reason you want to use lightdm ? (login in as root may require some special tweaking of lightdm configuration)
Simply login in from console is not what you want ?
(login-manager is mostly useful for multiple user setup, do you need that ?)
Btw, maybe better use slim as login manager, it is more user-friendly IMHO.

Fred

sinc

#736 Post by sinc »

No, no particular reason for me to install a login manager. You mentioned it in your last post to me and I thought I would try it out just to make the login screen a little prettier.

that one is not a big deal I just figured I'd report back since you mentioned trying it.

thanks fred.

quantumbox

#737 Post by quantumbox »

sinc wrote:Fred, thank you so much for your script. It did work as expected. Ultimately I ended up using quantumbox's solution which just seems a little cleaner. With the script for launch and close I would see chrome show on the taskbar and then disappear as X is starting. I tried reducing the time limit but then chrome didnt seem to get started and it did not reduce the startup time for chrome and thereby stopping its intended function. quantums solution seems to be working nicely.

thanks for telling me how to setup the password. i got the working. i tried to install lightdm from synaptic but it did not work. i didnt have time to play around with it trying to get it to work, but after the install it didnt work.

thanks so much.

if anyone else reads this and can help me get my dual monitor situation working i'd love the help!!!

thanks again.
I have same problem when install just lightdm, then I experimenting by install some related lightdm package like lightdm-gtk-greater, lightdm-gtk-greater-settings, lightdm-settings, lightdm-autologin-greeter then reboot and it works. Delete or renane /root/.profile to remove error message

Ether

BionicDog boot error

#738 Post by Ether »

Hello.

1) downloaded bionicdog 2018-06-04 32 bit iso

2) extracted contents to hd(0,2) /bionic/

3) added item to menu.lst in hd(0,0) as per instructions in example boot codes text file:

title BionicDog
root (hd0,2)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/bionic/ changes=/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz

got the attached error message:
Attachments
bionic_boot_error.jpg
binonic boot error
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

rcrsn51

Re: BionicDog boot error

#739 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ether wrote:2) extracted contents to hd(0,2) /bionic/
Copy the ENTIRE casper folder into the bionic folder, not the individual files.

Then your menu.lst should be:

title BionicDog
root (hd0,2)
kernel /bionic/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/bionic changes=/bionic
initrd /bionic/casper/initrd1.xz 

fredx181

Re: BionicDog boot error

#740 Post by fredx181 »

Ether wrote:Hello.

1) downloaded bionicdog 2018-06-04 32 bit iso

2) extracted contents to hd(0,2) /bionic/

3) added item to menu.lst in hd(0,0) as per instructions in example boot codes text file:

title BionicDog
root (hd0,2)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/bionic/ changes=/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz

got the attached error message:
Hi Ether,
I see it's already answered (thanks rcrsn51)
Can't understand, btw, (looking at your screenshot) that it's looking for wheezy .sgn file :?: :roll:
EDIT: Should be "bionic-i486.sgn", maybe you included the wrong initrd1.xz in your install ?

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.