Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
"UEFI not supported" error during Bionic universal install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Layla Stevik

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 15:08    Post subject:  "UEFI not supported" error during Bionic universal install  

I'm trying to do a full HD install of Bionic Puppy (as opppsed to a live USB image) to free up space on my HP Stream 11, but I'm having trouble running the universal installer from within the live OS - I get an error popup that says UEFI not supported. This is only useful if you want to install to a drive that will not be booted on this machine.

I'm a little confused because I know there are UEFI settings on this thing, so I'm not exactly sure what they mean by that. Could it be because I enabled Legacy Mode in the BIOS settings? (I was also having issues trying to boot from the USB stick in the first place and someone suggested I toggle Legacy)? I tried switching Legacy off again and when I went to boot from the USB it said it "did not authenticate." And I just checked my System Information tab and confirmed that I do have UEFI as my BIOS mode (this is after turning Legacy back off) - see here at red line:

Can anybody help shed some light on this? Is Puppy just straight up incompatible with the HP Stream?
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 20:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
Bionic Puppy

Need specific full name of this Puppy.
Is it Bionicpup64 8.0?

Quote:
Is Puppy just straight up incompatible with the HP Stream?

It works on this computer.
I have one of these computers and boot Bionicpup64 8.0 Puppy from a USB install.

Setting UEFI bios to legacy mode enabled allows the bios to boot from a USB drive with something other than Windows on it. Well, even a USB with Windows on it.
It should also be disabling secure boot.

Before we get into how to get Puppy on the internal SSD.
Need to know what you want to end up with.
I assume this has Windows 10 on the internal SSD.
Yes? No?
If yes.
Do you want both Windows 10 and Puppy on the internal SSD or just Puppy?
What size SSD does your HP Stream 11 have?
Is the computer still under warranty?

oldprinter

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 11:19    Post subject:  

If you have a live CD of Xenialpup64 7.5 (or recent slacko64) , it has the uefi to usb installer.

Just make sure to you can get to the bionicpup64 iso image.

I haven't tried it to do a full install to the HD, but it works like a charm on usb drives.

Just remember that on your windows machine to have secure boot and fast boot disabled.

Tom
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 11:31    Post subject:  

Hi Layla Stevik,

I see that you joined us yesterday. Welcome to the Kennels. Very Happy

I'm afraid that you've challenged us with one of those puzzles where you're given a picture and asked "How many goats can you spot?"

From your post we've learned that you have an HP Stream 11, so can deduce that it has at least 4 Gbs of RAM and Windows 10 booting via UEFI. You've told us that you attempted to use BionicPup's Universal Installer to do a FULL install to a USB-Stick, having enabled Legacy Mode but it appears that Secure Boot is still on.

I assume by BionicPup you mean BionicPup64 rather than the 32-bit version named Upupbb. Please be assured that the HP Stream will boot BionicPup64. Bigpup has that computer and recommends that version of Puppy. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1014103#1014103.

As far as I know Puppy's Universal Installer can not do a "Full Install" to a USB-Stick. At least, it never has been able to in prior versions. Beyond that, you really don't want to do a Full Install. That doesn't mean what you think it means. Puppy is designed to run as a Frugal Install --which is NOT a 'cut-down' version of a Full Install. A Frugal install provides the same applications PLUS many has many advantages lacking from a 'Full' install. It is 'Frugal' only in that it does not require an entire partition.
A Full Install was developed to provide slightly faster booting and application opening when most computers had only 256 Mbs of RAM and single-core, weak-by-today's-standard, processors. Today, a Full install is only recommended for such 'low-resource' computers. A Full install can also offer greater speed if you intend to compile applications from source. But, you would not want to compile from a USB-Stick which is many times slower than a Hard-drive. And even if you could do a Full Install to a USB-Stick, you wouldn't want to. With a Full Install, all operating systems, including Puppies, constantly read and write to the Stick shortening its life. But the main reason a Full Install isn't recommended for Puppies is that there is no easy way, if at all, to recover from any mistakes.

The Universal Installer will only install the version of Puppy it is run from. Having told us that you attempted to use the Universal Installer means you are already running BionicPup64. How? Did you burn a CD/DVD? Did you install it to a USB-Stick? If so, using what application? If you are already running one instance from a USB-Stick, that means that installation was acceptable to your computer's UEFI and, unless you are trying to install it to a different USB-stick, you really don't have to do anything beyond this: When you shut-down/reboot you'll be asked if you want Save. Answer yes and a routine will run creating either a SaveFile/Folder to preserve your settings, configurations and the additional applications you install.

At this point I'm a little hazy as to what the problem is. But, I noticed that you didn't mention turning off secure boot. That's usually necessary.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 12:48    Post subject:  

Read Oldprinter's post. Could not find a bionic version of the uefi-to-usb installer. Xenialpup's version appears to be "no-arch" -- should run from any Puppy. Attached is a pet. NO GUARANTEES.

To use, just click the pet and restart-X (graphical server). If it doesn't work, do not Save. Just reboot, or just uninstall via Setup>Puppy Package Manager.

Warning: I only did a cursory examination of UEFI-Usb's code, did not follow all its routines, all the calls to other applications/infra-structure. Nor do I have an UEFI-computer on which to test it. So I can't be positive that if it is transferred to BionicPup64 it will function Out of the box, or what changes would be necessary to make it functional.

If you try it, please let us know what happens.
uefi-installer.pet
Description  Just click pet
pet

Download 
Filename  uefi-installer.pet 
Filesize  6.67 KB 
Downloaded  111 Time(s) 
Layla Stevik

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 15:19    Post subject:  

Thank you so much for all the responses, apologies for the late reply.

mikeslr wrote:
I'm afraid that you've challenged us with one of those puzzles where you're given a picture and asked "How many goats can you spot?"

You're right I apologize - I'll try to fill in the gaps here:

This is a brand new, fresh out of the box (e.g. still warrantied) HP Stream 11 with 4 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD and preloaded Windows 10.

The exact version I'm trying to install is Bionicpup64 8.0, kernel 4.19.23 (I actually tried Xenialpup first, before realizing there was a newer version available and didn't notice too many obvious differences, so if I have to use Xenial to get the installation to work that's probably fine).

My goal is to erase Windows entirely (I do have my Microsoft Product Key and the original Win10 setup as a backup just in case) so that Puppy, or at least a Linux distro of some type, is the only OS on the hard drive. I want to clear as much space as possible on the SSD. I have another main "working" laptop with all my essential programs on it.

To alleviate some confusion, when I wrote this the night before last I was messing around with the BIOS settings and hadn't yet gotten around to turning off Secure Boot again when I snapped the above screenshot. I can confirm Secure Boot has definitely been disabled for all my attempts. On my first try, I enabled Legacy Boot and was able to get Puppy to boot as a live OS from the USB, but was unable to run the installer to get it onto the SSD. I have not yet been able to get Puppy to boot with UEFI active. So to summarize...

Attempt #1

bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso flashed to USB using Etcher. (I have used Etcher previously to create bootable UEFI flash drives for other Linux distros so I don't believe the USB itself is the problem, though I could be wrong.)

Legacy Boot: Enabled
Secure Boot: Disabled
Boot Manager Priority: Set to USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - SanDisk (SanDisk)

Live boot successful, but full install via Universal Installer fails.

Attempt #2

After asking around a bit on Reddit (and getting interrogated by some dude ordering me to "prove it" when I said I'd successfully managed to flash UEFI bootable USBs before, which I thought was...weird) I tried following this set of instructions on creating a bootable Puppy USB for UEFI. So this involved:

• ensured USB is formatted to FAT32 (check)
• created the ./EFI/boot folder and subfolder
• moved Bionicpup64 to USB's root directory
• copied grub.cfg to root directory
• copied bootx64.efi to ./EFI/boot subfolder

At this point boot settings are as follows:

Legacy Boot: Disabled
Secure Boot: Disabled
Boot Manager Priority: Set to USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - SanDisk (SanDisk)

With this configuration, the computer drops me into the UEFI Shell on restarting, and I'm unable to get past this point. It scrolls through something that says Mapping table and then dumps me at a command prompt. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Since some of you mentioned I might be able to get this to work by using the Xenialpup64 version, I'll try that next (I still have the .iso from an earlier attempt). Re: mikeslr's suggestion...

mikeslr wrote:
Attached is a pet. NO GUARANTEES.

To use, just click the pet and restart-X (graphical server). If it doesn't work, do not Save. Just reboot, or just uninstall via Setup>Puppy Package Manager.

Warning: I only did a cursory examination of UEFI-Usb's code, did not follow all its routines, all the calls to other applications/infra-structure. Nor do I have an UEFI-computer on which to test it. So I can't be positive that if it is transferred to BionicPup64 it will function Out of the box, or what changes would be necessary to make it functional.

If you try it, please let us know what happens.

So if I understand this correctly, I should download this .pet once I'm in the live boot Xenialpup OS and then run it via a terminal command? I don't really understand what you mean by "restart-X (graphical server)," I apologize.

Appreciate all the help and thank you for your patience!
zagreb999

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 15:34    Post subject:  

you have to create mbr partitions on hard disk

after that with unetbootin do install puppy linux

or with uefi boot take q4os win installer
or mx linux 64 bit
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 16:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
This is a brand new, fresh out of the box (e.g. still warrantied) HP Stream 11 with 4 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD and preloaded Windows 10.

Bionicpup64 8.0 is the Puppy I would use.
Remember,
bigpup wrote:
I have one of these computers and boot Bionicpup64 8.0 Puppy from a USB install
I have it on a micro 32GB USB drive.
Hardly see it on the side of the computer.

The boot problem is about secure boot enabled or disabled.
Secure boot enabled is making the bios only boot if it finds needed special files for booting with secure boot enabled.
Quote:

If you do all this, secure boot needs to be enabled.
All of this, is suppose to give secure boot the needed files it needs to see, to allow a boot.
Key word Suppose to.

However, to get around all this secure boot enabled or disabled stuff.
They have legacy boot option.
Legacy boot enabled, will disable secure boot and let the bios boot anything, even if it is not setup to boot with secure boot enabled. It lets other than Windows 10 to boot.

Now think hard on this!!!!
Do you want the warranty to still be in effect????
If yes.
I strongly suggest you keep booting from Bionicpup64 8.0 on a USB drive.
If you remove Windows 10 from the internal SSD.
Good by the warranty!!!!

The Puppy Universal Installer is not coded to do installs to A uefi bios computer. That is why is gave you the error message.

You will have to use a different program to do the install.
Before I give you more info.
Answer the question about the warranty??

foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 16:47    Post subject:  

Hello Layla, welcome to Puppy

I do not understand why you do a second attempt to install Puppy on the external pendrive, if it works at the 1st atttempt.

You can do an install manually of bionicpup64 (that is a very good choice for your machine btw) on the internal ssd running Puppy from pendrive.
You can keep a little of what windows installed if you choose uefi boot.

If you want the old legacy/mbr boot, you will have to recreate the partition table which is now gpt and must be msdos.
You could do that with gParted.
But if you want windows reinstalled later, you will have more work.

Suppose you go for uefi boot.
Running Puppy from pendrive, look what partitions are on your ssd. You can use gparted.
There must be one fat32 partition with boot,esp flag. Suppose sda1.
On this partition there should be /EFI/boot/. In there will be bootx64.efi that windows put there.
You should replace it with bootx64.efi from Limbomusic/helledussen (your link).
It is in fact a grub2 binary. And it looks for intructions in grub.cfg in the root of a partition, so in sda1/ (or any other partition!)

Now, let's install Puppy first. That's easy.
Make a directory on a partition. You can choose the partition with windows installation (probably big, ntfs) to test.
So if you choose sda3, you make there a directory sda3/BionicPup64/.
From the iso or from the pendrive, copy initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs and zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs into the directory you just made.
That is it.

Most difficult part now is the grub.cfg.
The one from Limbomusic will work on a pendrive with just 1 Puppy and the 4 files on the root of the boot partition, but not for the Puppy in a directory on another partition.
Grub2 has to get directions to find this. I have added this in the attached grub.cfg. So place this in sda1, not in but next to /EFI.

Reboot. You may have to change the order in the BIOS to boot into grub2.

Let us know if it works, or not.
If the test works, you could decide to whipe all the partitions, except sda1 with the 'boot installation',
make a partition formatted ext3 or ext4,
and put the directory with the Puppy-files on the new partition.

It is possible that windows will replace the bootx64.efi with its own again when it updates. Or even mess up its own boot. LOL

If you decide to go for legacy boot, let us know.
grub.cfg.gz
Description  dummy gz, remove gz
gz

Download 
Filename  grub.cfg.gz 
Filesize  847 Bytes 
Downloaded  92 Time(s) 

Last edited by foxpup on Mon 11 Mar 2019, 07:46; edited 2 times in total
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 18:27    Post subject: secure boot  

bigpup wrote:
All of this, is suppose to give secure boot the needed files it needs to see, to allow a boot.
Key word Suppose to.

I am not 100% sure, but I think it is not enough.
(I am not 100% sure because I have not turned back ON secure boot in ages.)
I think Puppy should have keys, maybe a mokmanager.efi as well and Puppy does not have it.
Better turn OFF secure boot.
Layla Stevik

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 22:06    Post subject:  

zagreb999 wrote:
you have to create mbr partitions on hard disk

after that with unetbootin do install puppy linux

or with uefi boot take q4os win installer
or mx linux 64 bit

So what you are saying is that I need to re-partition my SSD? UNetbootin is sort of the same thing as Etcher, no? Is there a reason I should specifically use that program?

I'm not really sure I understand the rest of your comment I'm sorry...

bigpup wrote:
Secure boot enabled is making the bios only boot if it finds needed special files for booting with secure boot enabled.

Key word Suppose to.

...Wow, you're saying all those instructions were only supposed to work if I had Secure Boot enabled? They didn't say anything about that one way or the other. What a waste of time lol...

bigpup wrote:
Answer the question about the warranty??

I am not really concerned about the warranty. I voided the warranty on my other laptop (a Chromebook) by removing the write protect screw, so that's not something that scares me lol. But thank you for asking.

bigpup wrote:
The Puppy Universal Installer is not coded to do installs to A uefi bios computer. That is why is gave you the error message.

Ah, I didn't realize that. In all honesty I'm starting to wonder whether this is the right OS for me to be doing all this with...I did not anticipate that the installation process would be this complicated (compared to, say, the process for putting Gallium on a Chromebook, which was fairly painless).

Foxpup, thank you for your detailed reply and I will address your points in a separate comment when I'm able to read through them more carefully...
Layla Stevik

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 23:00    Post subject:  

Yeah, I think this OS may be out of my expertise range...I booted up Xenialpup via USB to see if I could get the UEFI installer .pet to work, and realized I'm unable to get an internet connection to work. I connect via wifi and was completely baffled by the network connection tools - I probably need something that is a bit easier out of the box for a person new to Linux.
foxpup

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019, 07:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
I probably need something that is a bit easier out of the box for a person new to Linux.
That's funny Layla. I am always (slightly) baffled when I try something not Puppy. Laughing
And in other linuxes I always fall back on what I have learned from Puppy.
Maybe just run Puppy from usb/pendrive for a while before installing it to ssd, to get used to it, to investigate.
Puppy is actually designed to run that way. A lot of pupplers always run Puppy that way.

For the wifi, just try SNS (first choice after wired or wireless LAN in the connection setup through the menu).
You should see wlan0 in it, or similar. If you just see eth0, then you may need a driver.
Let us know then or better still: report it on the thread of the Puppy you use.
Or try another Pup.
There are a lot of other choices besides SNS, but most of them are for older and/or more complicated sytems.
You may not ever need them if you are at home with a recent laptop/PC.
foxpup

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 07:03    Post subject: LICK  

Maybe the best way for you to install on ssd: LICK.
It installs Puppy from windows.
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released
oldprinter

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 08:38    Post subject:  

Layla said:

"I booted up Xenialpup via USB to see if I could get the UEFI installer .pet to work, and realized I'm unable to get an internet connection to work."

That was why I switched to BionicPup64, newer computer required wifi drivers that XenialPup64 7.5 did not have, so I upgraded to something with a more recent kernel, which easily solved my problem, and allowed me to upgrade my software at the same time.

I keep a Xenialpup64 7.5 on it's own flash drive, so I can easily make uefi bootable pups. (I also keep a couple of slackos for the same reason.)

Tom
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: