Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
kuman11

When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?

#41 Post by kuman11 »

When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?

mikeslr

#42 Post by mikeslr »

Mike Walsh wrote: Shouldn't be hard to make a Puppy-specific version of SeaMonkey, which places the SeaMonkey profile in, say, /mnt/home/.cache/mozilla, and sym-links it to /root/.cache/mozilla.....thus putting the cache outside of 'Puppy-space'. Mike. :wink:
The catch is that until you have a /mnt/home it won't work. And if you never have a /mnt/home --such as converting your SaveFile to an adrv ala nic007 -- it also won't work.

What would work, and I'm surprised no one has yet provided a pet, is once you have a /mnt/home you just run the pet to automate the move + symlink procedure. Or better still, a pet which would identify where the Puppy_Version_Number.sfs is located, create a folder next to it, move cache into that folder and symlink it back to /root. Save and/or Re-Run nic007's SaveFile-to-adrv script whichever is appropriate.

@ kuman11 "When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?" Damned if I know. If it is UEFI running Windows, you could download and install LICK and use it rather than grub4dos. If your computer is NOT uefi, it is usually safe to have grub4dos write to the first hard-drive which your computer will boot. This will over-write whatever boot-loader is presently there but grub4dos creates a menu entry for Windows and has no problem booting it. That's what I do with my Laptop.

But I like to play it safe. On my desktop I installed grub4dos to a USB-Stick (the smallest I could find as grub4dos and associated applications needs less than 100 Mbs). Set bios to boot USB-ports before hard-drive. Plug in the Stick, boot Puppies. Unplug the stick, boot Windows. The reason I don't do this with my Laptop is that I've had a cat leap off a closed laptop >Newton's 3rd Law > Cat went one way, Laptop the other. The cat was unfazed, :) Laptop had broken male end of USB-Key in USB-port, with neutered USB-Key beside it. :shock: :cry:

kuman11

#43 Post by kuman11 »

mike,

u haven't seen the other question, where's the d/l link for this new Slacko?

I want to use the Ext HD to boot up this new Slacko, from the same Acer running XSlacko I've asked u about before. No Win at all.

mikeslr

#44 Post by mikeslr »

kuman11 wrote:mike,

u haven't seen the other question, where's the d/l link for this new Slacko?

I want to use the Ext HD to boot up this new Slacko, from the same Acer running XSlacko I've asked u about before. No Win at all.
Original post, third paragraph.

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-
mikesLr wrote:The catch is that until you have a /mnt/home it won't work. And if you never have a /mnt/home --such as converting your SaveFile to an adrv ala nic007 -- it also won't work.
Yah, you're quite right. This wouldn't work, for instance, for anyone who prefers running off Live CD/DVD multi-session, for instance. Or (as you say), in Nic's case; though that is rather the exception, as opposed to 'the rule'.....

Bottom line, I guess those of us concerned enough to want to do such a thing are, 9 times out of 10, also sufficiently knowledgeable to set that up for ourselves. It's another of those things for which you can't really publish a 'one size fits all' solution.....though God knows, it's the kind of solution I like to make available to as many Puppians as possible, as often as I can..!

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#46 Post by nic007 »

And if you never have a /mnt/home --such as converting your SaveFile to an adrv ala nic007 -- it also won't work.
This is incorrect. I save my changes to an adrv, do not have a savefile but my browser cache, .mozilla and .trash are symlinked to the root of my drive, for instance to /mnt/sda3 (my frugal install is in /mnt/sda3/Tahr605).

I think the confusion comes in when you already have a savefile and now you want to save the contents thereof to an adrv to get rid of savefile use in future. It's true that in this case you will have /mnt/home and if you have symlinks set up from there, these links will not work after the first run of my script. However, once you have rid yourself from the savefile and boot with the adrv you have created, you can set up the symlinks and it will be saved.
Your file paths obviously change once you don't have a savefile (no more /mnt/home) so you need to change the paths in the script accordingly.

HerrBert

Re: Some ideas that could be interesting.

#47 Post by HerrBert »

mister_electronico wrote:Thinking about puppy slacko settings, normally a person who installs for example this distribution that does not have knowledge of puppy linux and perhaps not much computer knowledge, which wants to install puppy linux because they heard that it is a system that goes well with obsolete computers.

He decides to install this version slacko5.72 and nothing else to install it he is very happy because all the programs run very well and they go very fast.

But soon after working with puppy, he finds that everything starts to work much more slow and it reaches moments in it even crashes and does not know why.

And they end up leaving the distribution.
If things don't just work, like in M$, they probably will...
mister_electronico wrote:But why does this happen this?

People with computers with low resources of 512 Mb RAM or less, for example, start surfing the Internet, they begin to watch videos, and immediately they begin to realize that everything starts to go much slower.
Getting so far implies, they can boot to a usable desktop, which is not so bad at all.
mister_electronico wrote:They do not have to know that the seamonkey cache is stored in the case of this distribution in:

/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey .....

And that this makes the available RAM memory size decrease rapidly.

They also do not have to know that you can limit the cache in the browser, or that you can make a cache cleaning.
IMHO, everybody needs to be told, why their machines do no longer work properly. It's not only, they use old hardware, it's also, things like browsing the internet produces lots of cache, scripts do their things, stuff gets loaded from sites, one would never ever visit. All in background, while they watch funny pics or vids elsewhere.
mister_electronico wrote:So maybe it would be interesting both in the case of seamonkey and other browsers, take out the program of the navigator outside the pupsave, as much the program as the data of cache of navigation and others.
mister_electronico wrote:Other distros of puppy lean on the hard disk, we could do something similar to windows a Program files, or create a memory cache on disk.
Reminds me of PortableApps.
mister_electronico wrote:There are programs like mhWaveEdit that when load a bit large mp3 file directly block the system, when the converts it to wav inside

/root/.mhwavedit....

For example in mtPaint if we want to work with a slightly larger image, it will not let us do it because it will tell us that it does not have enough memory, simply by adjusting:

Images> Preferences> General> Max memory use for one

Put a value of 256 or more so that you can work well with the images, that these things can come configured in advance in the installation, it would make this distribution much more attractive.
Agreed, but where does increasing Max Memory in mtpaint lead to? RAM-usage?
mister_electronico wrote:This and multiple configurations that could be adjusted for the distribution we are working on, will life much easier for those people who start for the first time and who are working with low-resource computers.

Greetings.
Mike Walsh wrote:It's another of those things for which you can't really publish a 'one size fits all' solution
What nobody want's to read is, do reading... No pet or sfs can replace knowledge about, what causes what. You don't need to be a coder, you don't need to know how to compile things, but you should know, where to unlock your hood to take a look under and maybe help yourself...

Mike Walsh

#48 Post by Mike Walsh »

I think all the above stuff from the last few posts nicely illustrates the two sides of the coin.

On the one hand, mister_electronico advocates (as do I) making everything as simple (and 'automatic') as possible.....thus encouraging 'newbies' to stay with Puppy instead of getting quickly frustrated & disenchanted with the whole process.

On the other hand, HerrBert is saying (and I also concur with his viewpoint, because it's a very common one from Linux users with any amount of 'mileage' under their belts), that it's in your own interest to learn what goes on under the hood, so as to be able to do this stuff for yourself. Reading up on stuff & asking questions in fora is all part & parcel of the Linux 'experience'.....and despite mainstream distros going out of their way to make their releases as polished & 'newbie-friendly' as possible, I don't see the distro-specific forums going away any time soon.

It is, after all, an excellent way to share tips, tricks, and just advice in general. Murga-linux has certainly enhanced my own 'Puppy' journey immensely over the last few years.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Mike. :wink:

festus

openssl-1.0.2r

#49 Post by festus »

Here is a pet for openssl-1.0.2r-slack_ce-572.pet compiled from CE_Slacko_5.7.2

Code: Select all

# openssl version -a

OpenSSL 1.0.2r  26 Feb 2019
built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
platform: linux-elf
options:  bn(64,32) rc4(8x,mmx) des(ptr,risc1,16,long) idea(int) blowfish(idx) 
compiler: gcc -I. -I.. -I../include  -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -Wa,--noexecstack -DL_ENDIAN -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DRC4_ASM -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM
OPENSSLDIR: "/etc/ssl"
Download:
https://www33.zippyshare.com/v/uZk8EU8l/file.html

openssl-1.0.2r-slack_ce-572.pet ~2.5 MB
MD5: 52efbbfd4d57d2e66496bf421f3fb7a9

bliss,
festus

darkcity

#50 Post by darkcity »

This worked first time on my old Intel T2080. Nice one : -)

mikeslr

#51 Post by mikeslr »

Hi darkcity,

I'm glad it works for you. If your computer has sufficient RAM, I do recommend using one of the portable browser mentioned here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 94#1018294 and/or Seamonkey.2.49.4 or 2.46. Although I built the OS for low spec computers, I don't have one. So like mister_electronico did here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1019956 I upgraded Seamonkey. The upgrade uses slightly more RAM, but enables watching more videos on the web. But I did it slightly differently than he.

What I did was download seamonkey from here, https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/. I don't think the netvideohunter addon will work after Seamonkey 2.46. So I chose it. You'll find a link to that version at the bottom of that webpage. The download arrives as a tar.bz. Use UExtract to decompress it. Two levels down you'll find a folder just named seamonkey, Enter that folder and leave it open. Then open a second rox window into /opt/seamonkey. Press Ctrl-a, to highlight all files, then press delete. Leave the window open. Place your mouse-cursor in the other Window. Press Ctrl-a to highlight all files, then place it on one, PRESS then drag it (along with all the other files) into /opt/seamonkey and select Copy or Move. Remember to Save that change to your SaveFile.

The old Seamonkey will still exist in puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs. But the pointers which are created in RAM when you bootup will point to the seamonkey files in your SaveFile. The menu works because /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop still points to the file in /root/my-applications/bin [also not changed] which calls the binary named seamonkey in /opt/seamonkey.

Another way to do this is to move the decompressed folder named seamonkey to /mnt/home. The edit /root/my-applications/bin/seamonkey to read:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"

Remember to save the edit and SAVE the change to your savefile/folder. That change takes up less room in your Save, using less RAM, and almost no RAM when seamonkey isn't open. And as long as you have the seamonkey file on /mnt/home, you might as well move its cache file there.

With one rox-window to /mnt/home/seamonkey open, open a second to /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey. [Note the "."dot --Left-Click Rox's Eye. Place your mouse-cursor on the seamonkey folder, Press, Hold then drag it into the seamonkey folder on /mnt/home and select Move. Left-Click Rox's Eye so you can see it. Then drag it back to /root/.cache/mozilla and select Link(relative). Data from webpages will be cached on /mnt/home --outside of and therefore not using up RAM.

kuman11

#52 Post by kuman11 »

mike,

how do u symlink, it's not clear to me?
I have Thunar FM, not Rox & Firefox Quantum.

Colonel Panic

#53 Post by Colonel Panic »

kuman11 wrote:mike,

how do u symlink, it's not clear to me?
I have Thunar FM, not Rox.
Hi Kuman,

I use Midnight Commander for symlinking (and for a lot of other file operations); once you've installed it, go to the file you want to symlink and then press Control-X, then S.

But you can also create a symlink from a terminal, using the ln command;

ln -s /path/to/file /path/to/symlink
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mikeslr

Symlinking using xfe

#54 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Kuman,

If your running Slacko 5.7.2CE, then the file-manager xfe is built in. I think by default it already is set to display a directory Tree in the Left-most panel, with two panels to the right showing files and folders. When you open it both of those panels will display the contents of /root. Focus is on the Left "file and folder" panel. To change focus, click the other "files and folders" panel. You can then use the Tree panel to change what directory will be displayed in that panel (or like rox, the Up-Arrow on the Toolbar to display the parent, with click a folder to display its contents].

On the top menu you'll see a menu listing for both Right and Left panels. Clicking one will open a drop-down menu. By default the radio box for "Show hidden files" isn't checked. Click it to select that option.

So, for example, if you wanted to move the .mozilla folder from /root to /mnt/home/slacko/browserstuff you could do the following:

1) Leave the Left-folder panel at /root but "show hidden file".
2) Focus the Right-folder panel, use the Tree panel to select /mnt/home/slacko.
3) Right-Click an empty space in /mnt/home/slacko and select New>Folder. Give it a name, like BrowserStuff. Left-click that folder to open it.
4) Left-Click the .mozilla folder in the Left-Folder panel and from the popup menu select Move. xfe will offer to move it to /mnt/home/slacko/browserstuff. Click Accept.
5) Click teh browserstuff folder to view its contents, selecting "show hidden files" via the Right-panel's menu.
6) Now Right-Click the .mozilla folder in /mnt/home/slacko/browserstuff and select Symlink-to from the popup menu. /root will be offered as the location for the symlink. Click Accept.
Your done.

The above is actually rather easy after the first time. But not as easy as rox once you've learned rox's way. And even though you have Thunar, chances are that you also have rox, or can install it.

If I recall correctly, creating symbolic links using thunar is done as follows:

You have to open two instances of thunar: one to the location where the file/folder currently exists, the second to the location where you want to move the file/folder. I've forgotten exactly where, but from thunar's menu at its top (named View?) you can get a drop-down menu with the choice of "Show hidden files". You would select that in both thunar windows. Then --like using rox-- you drag and drop to "move" and drag and drop to create a symbolic link. However, thunar names the symbolic link "Link-to-NAME_OF_FILE/FOLDER", for example Link-to-.mozilla. You would then have to Right-Click Link-to-.mozilla, and rename it just .mozilla in order for firefox or seamonkey to follow the link to the actual file/folder.

mikeslr

Maybe Addons for Seamonkey

#55 Post by mikeslr »

darry19662018 found two websites from which legacy addons can be obtained. See this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 07#1021807

See also 666philb's post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 21#1020121

Caution: Untested under seamonkey. But AFAIK, Seamonkey used XUL addons.

Thanks darry & phi

darry19662018

#56 Post by darry19662018 »

No worries Mike.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

kuman11

#57 Post by kuman11 »

mike,
how do u add a 2nd display in this Puppy, couldn't see a Display app?

I was skeptical of Seamonkey, it seems it doesn't use too much cache.
Somehow it doesn't accept a gmail addy, unlike Firefox, for a sync account ...

mikeslr

#58 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kuman,

Can't help you with seamonkey not accepting a gmail addon to sync the account. I don't use sync. The less personal information I store online the less likely I'll be among the couple million people whose identity is stolen when government backed hackers in Russia, China and North Korea using state of the art computers by-pass the security of online web-servers storing your private information.

The built in Seamonkey2.35 can access your gmail account. At least mine did with regard to the gmail account I use to direct the junk mail of websites which insist on your providing an email address. But I'll say it again. Whenever possible AVOID using any web-browser to communicate with any financial organization unless you absolutely have to. If you have to, use the latest version of firefox and an email account which is not among your 'contacts' in any of your other email accounts.

Regarding the 2nd Panel: Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager, click the Options Tab, put a check in the Accessory Tray radio button, Select the number of launchers you want (you may have to select 12, but can change that later). Click Apply under that Section, Then Click Apply on the bottom Panel. Then Click Tray2 on the GUI which opens to configure it --location, etc. Autohide=Standard if you want it to autohide. I usually leave that for after choosing the launchers. To choose launchers AKA panel buttons, click Launch.

Not wanting to screw-up my existing 2nd panel, the above instructions were from memory, so may be slightly off. I do recall sometimes having a problem if 18 launchers was initially chosen. Don't know why. The Application is radky's JWMDesk Manager 2.4.3. If you experience the 'can't initially choose 18 launchers' problem, and the 'choose 12 workaround' isn't sufficient, perhaps ask on the JWMDesk Manager thread.

kuman11

#59 Post by kuman11 »

'Regarding the 2nd Panel: Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager'

mike,
I meant a 2nd monitor.

Is Firefox as economical as Seamonkey in terms of cache when used in this Slacko?

mikeslr

#60 Post by mikeslr »

kuman11 wrote:'Regarding the 2nd Panel: Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager'

mike,
I meant a 2nd monitor.

No idea. Don't have a second monitor. Best ask on JWMDesktop thread.

Is Firefox as economical as Seamonkey in terms of cache when used in this Slacko?
Never ran a comparison. I don't worry about the size of cache. I always (a) set seamonkey (all mozilla based browsers) to clear cache on exit and (b) move cache from /root to /mnt/home/SOMEWHERE, symlinked back. For all I care, cache during a session can build up to using a couple Gbs of hard-drive space. It's cleared when seamonkey/mozilla is closed.