DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ocpaul20

#541 Post by ocpaul20 »

Are you using pcmanfm or thunar as your file manager? If so, select /usr/local/bin/desktop_drive_icons, to to menu edit-create link, and put a link in /root/startup. That should start it up automatically every time.]
I think I am using Rox, but I have added items to Startup before so I can do that again now.

I will give it a whirl and see if that sorts it out. At least now I know the name of the program I can run if they disappear again in another lifetime (instance of Debiandog) !!

Thanks for all your help.
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?

ocpaul20

#542 Post by ocpaul20 »

It is strange, because I have added a link to /root/Startup and am sure it is executable. When I click on it as you suggested, it runs and shows the drive icons correctly.

However, after all that, when I reboot, expecting this to run as part of the startup routine, I get no drive icons but I get a message which tells me that I am using the default pinboard.

To test it all, I placed a line at the end of another shell script which runs at my startup.
nohup /root/Startup/desktop_drive_icons &

and nohup.out gives me a message
(desktop_drive_icons:3539): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Maybe this is a total Red Herring and the real problem is to do with the lost pinboard and the nohup.out message above?

With linux, nothing is as simple as you think it is going to be, huh?
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?

dancytron

#543 Post by dancytron »

Sorry, don't know. If Fred (posted the first message in this thread) doesn't see this in a day or two you might send him a pm.

fredx181

#544 Post by fredx181 »

Hi ocpaul20,
It is strange, because I have added a link to /root/Startup and am sure it is executable. When I click on it as you suggested, it runs and shows the drive icons correctly.

However, after all that, when I reboot, expecting this to run as part of the startup routine, I get no drive icons but I get a message which tells me that I am using the default pinboard.
I tried to reproduce that (made symlink to /usr/local/bin/desktop_drive_icons in /root/Startup and reboot) , but couldn't, all is fine for me, and rox pinboard configuration should not have anything to do with desktop_drive_icons .
So it looks like that the problem is caused by something else you did.
You can try to restore to the original rox pinboard, from terminal:

Code: Select all

cp -af /mnt/live/memory/images/01-filesystem.squashfs/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd-OB /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/
Then restart X (Exit X and type startx from console)
If that doesn't help, just copy all the files inside /mnt/live/memory/images/01-filesystem.squashfs/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/ to:
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/ and restart X.

Fred

ocpaul20

#545 Post by ocpaul20 »

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your comment.

I have managed to get back my drive icons and the message about the default pinboard no longer shows on bootup. I am not sure what I did, but I did restore some stuff as you suggested so it was most probably that which sorted it out.

The only problem now I have is that I have lost some menu items which I thought would have been restored in the same series of operations when I restored the ROX-filer directory.

In particular, the JWM menu, Network item at bottom right has lost a few entries such as Deluge and Icedove etc. I can reinstall them and the menu items will probably be re-installed too.

Anyway, thanks for all the help on this everyone.

=====================
I found the missing menu items in a couple of files /root/.jwmrc & /root/.jwmrc-mjwm so I restored them too and everything is fine now.
======================
==================

ocpaul20

#546 Post by ocpaul20 »

I have another small problem but it may not be anything to do with DD at all. I have found other posts about it online but none of them really seem to make it any better. I will describe it and see if anyone has any ideas.

I am developing an application using python and gtk 2.

The program runs OK if I am root but not if I am puppy. When I am puppy, the error message is as follows:

puppy@debiandog:/mnt/sdb2/home/paulw/all_python/python_pyaudio$ python llab_pup_start.py  
No protocol specified
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
llab_pup_start.py:562: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
llab_pup_start.py:562: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
llab_pup_start.py:472: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  scrolled_window = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
treeselection= <gtk.TreeSelection object at 0xb57c457c (GtkTreeSelection at 0x9e8ef40)>
llab_pup_start.py:517: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  self.treeview.append_column(column) # add column to treeview
llab_pup_start.py:517: Warning: g_object_get: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.treeview.append_column(column) # add column to treeview
llab_pup_start.py:614: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  scrolled_window = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
llab_pup_start.py:616: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  scrolled_window.add(self.textview)
llab_pup_start.py:616: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
llab_pup_start.py:616: Warning: g_object_get: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault
puppy@debiandog:/mnt/sdb2/home/paulw/all_python/python_pyaudio$ 
I know from other posts elsewhere it is to do with the DISPLAY env variable so I have this at the end of my env print

SHLVL=1
HOME=/home/puppy
XDG_SEAT=seat0
LOGNAME=puppy
DISPLAY=:0
XAUTHORITY=/root/.Xauthority
_=/usr/bin/env
Anything I can try would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
==================

fredx181

#547 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Paul, just guessing, but maybe try before running your script:

xhost +local:puppy
Or run with sudo ?

Fred

ocpaul20

#548 Post by ocpaul20 »

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your quick reply.

puppy@debiandog:~$ xhost +local:puppy
No protocol specified
xhost:  unable to open display ":0"
sudo works OK but essentially I am running as root aren't I? I would prefer to run as puppy if possible because other people may be running the application and I dont really want them messing about as root.
Paul
==================

fredx181

#549 Post by fredx181 »

Is it DebianDog64 Jessie you are on ? Or... ?
Anyway, it's different for me when I do the xhost command logged in as puppy:

puppy@jessie64:~$ xhost +local:puppy 
non-network local connections being added to access control list
puppy@jessie64:~$ 
So if you have a custom Debiandog setup, there maybe something wrong with permissions for user puppy.

Fred

ocpaul20

#550 Post by ocpaul20 »

It is a bog-standard one as far as I know.

What does your environment DISPLAY variable show?

When I logout from root and login as puppy (as opposed to doing su as I was before) I get:
$ xhost +local:puppy
xhost: unable to open display ""

and env DISPLAY is not present at all in env variables.

What do I need to do to get in in there? Where does it come from?

================
I tried this

puppy@debiandog:/mnt/sdb2/home/paulw/all_python/python_pyaudio$  export DISPLAY=:0
puppy@debiandog:/mnt/sdb2/home/paulw/all_python/python_pyaudio$ xhost +local:puppy
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyxhost:  unable to open display ":0"

Thanks,
Paul
==================

fredx181

#551 Post by fredx181 »

ocpaul20 wrote:It is a bog-standard one as far as I know.
Still having my doubts about that because your shell prompt is:

puppy@debiandog
different from mine.
But it could be that you changed hostname to "debiandog"
My env and DISPLAY:

puppy@jessie64:~$ env
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
PWD=/home/puppy
SHLVL=6
HOME=/home/puppy
LOGNAME=puppy
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-gYwcHwdCyE,guid=f5677f65cca06088f7556be95a97ca2f
WINDOWPATH=3
DISPLAY=:0
XAUTHORITY=/home/puppy/.Xauthority
_=/usr/bin/env
puppy@jessie64:~$ export DISPLAY=:0 
puppy@jessie64:~$ xhost +local:puppy
puppy@jessie64:~$
EDIT: You may want to try creating another user: System > Add new user
(to test if there's any difference then)
I created user fred and after login:

fred@jessie64:~$ export DISPLAY=:0 
fred@jessie64:~$ xhost +local:fred  
fred@jessie64:~$ 
Fred

ocpaul20

#552 Post by ocpaul20 »

Yes, I changed my host name as I am running it from a memory stick on another computer. This changing my PCs hostname helps me be certain of which one I am on. I need to ssh to other copies of DD.

Maybe if I go back to the iso and load that I will find the DISPLAY env variable I need.

OK, well thanks for the help. I will have to try a few things and see if I can get DISPLAY set up on user puppy like you have.

Paul

edit
------
I have created another user as you suggested, but the env still does not create the DISPLAY variable for the new user.

I am going to have to create another memory stick from the iso I think thats the answer maybe.
==================

ocpaul20

#553 Post by ocpaul20 »

Couple of quick questions -
1) on boot, where do I change the boot process to login as puppy rather than as root?

2) I just want to copy a simple file from one machine to another but the scp command is executing my ~/.bashrc & ~/.profile as well which appears to make the scp fail. Am I doing something wrong?

# scp -v testfile root@192.168.1.27:/home/puppy/llabdir

the '/root' in the code below is a pwd command I have in my .bashrc file

debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
Authenticated to 192.168.1.27 ([192.168.1.27]:1728).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t /home/puppy/llabdir
/root
root@debiandog:~# debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug1: fd 0 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 1 clearing O_NONBLOCK
Transferred: sent 3388, received 1840 bytes, in 0.0 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 96132.9, received 52209.1
debug1: Exit status 0
Thanks,
Paul
==================

fredx181

#554 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Paul,
1) on boot, where do I change the boot process to login as puppy rather than as root?
In the file /etc/inittab change root to puppy in the the line starting with "1:2345:respawn:/bin/login", so becomes this:

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f puppy tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
Second question I can't answer, hopefully someone else can (who knows more about these things)

Fred

rufwoof

#555 Post by rufwoof »

Try adding a dot to the end of that command i.e. copy to the same filename.

Or have you tried transferring files from the command line?

scp testfile puppy@192.168.1.27:/home/puppy/.
and enter the puppy userid password when prompted

or

scp testfile root@192.168.1.27:/tmp/.
etc.

For root scp under Debian I believe you have to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_conf and change PermitRootLogin without-password to PermitRootLogin yes
and then restart the ssh server so that you can ssh as root. Not a good idea however as ssh tends to generally soon get blitzed with brute force attacks. Even without root ssh access, ssh will also get hit and best to put limits on the number of attempts a remote might make before barring further attempts. ssh and scp however are better (more secure) than ftp.

sfs

#556 Post by sfs »

fredx181 wrote:New package added to DebianDog64 repository:
openbox-keybinder

Openbox keybind configuration GUI, made by Pablo Cabrera and brought by Chriswaterguy here:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=252719
is there a gtk3 version or src ?
[url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyrusa/]PuppyRus-Arch[/url]

fredx181

#557 Post by fredx181 »

sfs wrote:
fredx181 wrote:New package added to DebianDog64 repository:
openbox-keybinder

Openbox keybind configuration GUI, made by Pablo Cabrera and brought by Chriswaterguy here:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=252719
is there a gtk3 version or src ?
Probably there's no gtk3 version, anyway. the keybinder source can be found here (attachment):
https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/ ... /24849367/

Fred

sfs

#558 Post by sfs »

Thank. I could not compile under gtk3. I need to patch

fredx181

#559 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sfs, your question about keybinder inspired me to search for a possibly better program and found "obkey" (based on python and gtk3).
In case you are interested, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1021519

Fred

sfs

#560 Post by sfs »

Hi!
obkey - python is not needed in a lightweight distribution

Russian DebianDog