ozcputemps -superseded

Miscellaneous tools
ozsouth

ozcputemps -superseded

#1 Post by ozsouth »

THIS failed after suspend - IS NOW SUPERSEDED - see
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 87#1022287

As the standard temperature monitors have a small, but constant memory leak (~100mb a day), the following can check CPU temp when run.
After install, open ROX-Filer, go to /usr/local/bin & drag ozcputemps to desktop. Click on icon to run.
Should show CPU temperature in centre of screen for 2 seconds. If the earlier options didn't work for you, this won't either.
.pet - had issue in slacko64 - now called ozcputemps
Attachments
ozcputemps.pet
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Mon 18 Mar 2019, 06:07, edited 5 times in total.

Puppyt

#2 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks ozsouth-
installed straight into Dpup Stretch 7.5 (32-bit) no problems, even populated in the "Utility" subsection in the Menu, so can be run from there as well as your suggested desktop link. Have provided a screenie comparing your output with PSI sensors and pmcputemp (poor-mans CPU temp, I think - can't track it down at present) that I always like to have running in older laptops. Thank you for this - something like this should be standard in any Official Puppy, I reckon

UPDATE: tracked it down - and you are all over it - Good Job :)
Attachments
ScreenShot_2019-03-12.png
(86.42 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

ozsouth

#3 Post by ozsouth »

@puppyt - user artsown found this bug. I have looked at the pmcputemp C code (not my specialty) & can't see why it happens. Nice screeny, btw - capturing all that within the 2 second display - very dexterous!

davids45

No-Go in SCPup1901-05

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day ozsouth,

I have an ongoing problem with peebee's SCPups that don't seem to load the driver my computer needs to read CPU temps and other stuff that work fine in other Pups on this old hp desktop. (I recall you had posted on that thread as well.)

Running 'sensors' in the SCPup terminal still reports no modules loaded if I understand its message (screenshot). Other Pups give the read-out I see normally in my pwidgets' CPU Temps. SCPup reports just the core frequencies (also in first screenshot).

So I gave your .pet a go in SCPup-19.01-5.

Nothing showed on the task bar (screenshot) and running a terminal said it could not find the file (screenshot). Making a link from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin did not change things.

Maybe it's just the module 'smsc47b397' in SCPup that's faulty - I haven't tried in other Pups yet which work fine with this module, nor with a different kernel in the SCPup.

Any ideas?

David S.
Attachments
sensors-noloadedmodulesinSCPup.jpg
SCPup reported no sensors - but module needed is loaded???
(18.92 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
ozcputemp-SCPup190105.jpg
nothing on task bar (nor Pwidgets CPU Temps)
(66.76 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
ozcputemp-terminalresultSCPup.jpg
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

ozsouth

#5 Post by ozsouth »

@davids45 - unfortunately this uses the same engine as before - all I did was make it manual instead of the polling which lead to the memory leak. You personally could try removing lines 3-20 & insert modprobe smsc47b397 at line 3 instead.

ozsouth

#6 Post by ozsouth »

NOTE - updated (& renamed .pet) at post 1

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, David.

Sounds like you've got one of those 'awkward' mobos there, which just doesn't play nicely with the usual methods for reading temps.

I had the same problem with a mate's Dell 530s desktop a while back. It had a very sick Vista install on it which hadn't updated properly for years. I put Slacko 570 on it, which he's chuffed to bits with....but pmcputemp simply would not work. Sat doggedly at 40C, and wouldn't move.....

I knew for a fact it had sensors, 'cos HWMon used to show both core & socket temps under Vista. Ozsouth did a 're-jig' of pmcputemp a little while back. Result? Pmcputemp now works properly.

So, don't lose faith, mate; you're in good hands there! :D

Mike. :wink: