Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Oct 2019, 16:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
PAASSSWWOOORRRDSSSS! What Is The Longest Password You Use??
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 13:28    Post subject: The best password
Subject description: The one u dont know

What is the best password for a site?... The one u don't know, so use a password generator, configure the size and characters to use and let the generator save it.

LastPass .- 6 to 100 characters, gnerate password, save password.

eg = wi08X9sA^8F9YaSR2e87991A07g4pq146X7o5168d0t330!at4Fqkr8uu7W40wZ63*0508#r35S34B1YSV9l4T5l2U102YoGwfjs

The inconvenient:_ you must have a master password for the program, but is linked with a mail address and a password...

p310don

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 17:46    Post subject:  

On the topic of password security, people often use what seems like a random number or word that they know.

Often you see posts on social media along the lines of "Who remembers their phone number when they were a kid?"

Apparently that is the sort of thing people often use as a password.
8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 01:21    Post subject:  

One thing about pswds that should be mentioned...

Consider a pswd to be composed of 0-9, a-z, A-Z and the - and _ characters. Thats 64 eligible characters. The new mantra also includes the shifted 0-9. So thats 74. I'm a bit miffed when website "A" says you must use at least 1 of these 'new' characters. Theres nothing wrong with a decent length (say 12+) pswd of 64-characters. Personally, I would recommend a sha-sum of some type to use it, opposed to base-16.

https://www.random.org/strings/

does not use -_ but can go up to 20 characters in many sets.

FWIW
8Geee

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 19:43    Post subject:  

Puppy supports 50 +/- keyboards. But there's no easy way I can think of to switch from one to another. Taking into consideration wiak's response, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1021547#1021547 to my suggestion above that response, add an easy way to switch to a different keyboard while still pretending to type an easily remembered name or phrase lacking letter repetitions starting with your fingers on other than the expected "rest keys positions" of your usual keyboard should baffle code breakers unaware of your preparations.

Not that it can't be cracked. It's just that if someone isn't aware of the preparatory steps, what you type is just gibberish.

p.s. In response to wiak's guess "I gather that the method was already well-published on the internet from what you say though." I don't know how well published the technique is. My statement relates to having plugged the resulting letter-number combination into the box on a couple of websites purporting to estimate the time it would take to break your password and being advised a hundred thousand years or so.

The actual inspiration for the idea dates back to when I was in the 6th grade. I attended an afternoon "Hebrew School" during which I did my homework so that I could later watch television. One of the few things I picked up was that every Hebrew letter was also a number. Becoming annoyed by a substitute teacher at my public school, I wrote her a nasty note, cleverly substituting numbers for letter. I was embarrassed when she easily cracked my code, including my signature. Embarassed

Substitution of symbols still seemed a good idea. Just not a substitution so obvious.
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2019, 12:12    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
For things I care extremely about, about 2 years ago I returned to pencil & paper, while also following rules like never accessing important sites and/or sensitive stuff outside of my own home network (a network which I tend to trust a lot more since I administer & monitor it & its equipment quite zealously).

I totally agree. There is also an advantage to keep your old computer for sensitive material, offline of course. In that PC you probably don't need the bells and whistles like in a late model linuxbox. If you limit exchange of docs between the old and new PC, to the use of a clean memory stick while offline, and in addition save finished docs or folders to a CD or DVD for safe storage, your'e as safe as can be. I don't store passwords used online in a browser, I don't use bookmarks or history, I allow cookies, but delete everything on closing the browser, which I do when changing topics or sites. But passwords are necessary to use. I think a sentence, or line in a song, or something else that is familiar and easy to remember, is OK to use. But transform it by using numbers, spell it backwords, or any other procedure.
But how good is it?
Unmasked:
What 10 million passwords reveal
about the people who choose them
https://wpengine.com/unmasked/
And some interesting reading from the Password 2014 Conference:(heavy stuff)
http://passwords14.item.ntnu.no/Preproceedings_Passwords14.pdf

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2019, 14:31    Post subject:  

Well, after reading tallboy's first link, it seems my idea is just as likely to get you into as much trouble as I was in the 6th Grade. Go to the first link and search for the section discussing "keyboard patterns".
MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 21:40    Post subject: Re: PAASSSWWOOORRRDSSSS! What Is The Longest Password You Use??
Subject description: I Started Using Very Long Passwords ... Before I Was Making Simple And Easy To Remember Ones B'H

No one on the board is using
'Navaho Talking Language'???

That's the code that won WWII, was thought
to be "uncrackable?"

Or does anyone here use Morse Code?

Thanks everyone, this is getting to be an
enlightening thread, I've actually changed
my security choices because of this
discussion. Hopefully for the better. B'H.
code-morse.jpg
 Description   Yes, Morse Code. I think, isn't it still being used by Ham Radio operators? B'H.
 Filesize   40.7 KB
 Viewed   91 Time(s)

code-morse.jpg

tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2019, 07:38    Post subject:  

It seems like I am posting a joke, but funetics is a way to write dialects in a 'verbal' mode, and could be very difficult to decode if an additional form of code is used to make a final code.
funetik-accent.png
 Description   
 Filesize   49.54 KB
 Viewed   47 Time(s)

funetik-accent.png

Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: