Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Mar 2019, 13:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Google Chrome 64-bit PET & SFS packages
Page 18 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:28    Post subject:  

@ mjmikulcik:-

I didn't rush an updated package of that 'point' release out, because I knew the new version (73) would be out any day now. Thanks for the 'heads-up', all the same. Appreciated. Smile

The new version will be available for download later this evening. The mitigations for the referenced weakness should, of course, be in this new release.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 18:17; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 18:10    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-73.0.3683.75-amd64 - is now available for download, from the location referenced in post #1.

------------------------------------------------

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page.

60 security issues, including the recently-discovered 'critical' one (mentioned by mjmikulcik above) have been addressed since the previous release.

----------------------------------------------------

A small script, which has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, now automatically runs the glib-compile-schemas compile command at boot time. Downloads/uploads, therefore, work as they should.

The 'Spot2Root' file permissions changer has also been updated. It now works with uploads as well as downloads.....as explained in an earlier post. Following an exchange of ideas & points raised via PM with mikeslr, I've added an extra line to the 'spot-to-root' module of the Permissions Changer which sits in the task-bar; when you select 'Spot-to-Root (for downloads)' in the GUI, ROX (or whatever your default file-manager happens to be) will now open on your 'Downloads' directory, ready to retrieve the newly-downloaded item.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits (as usual) :-

Battleshooter - for help with the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff several releases back.
belham2 - for cobbling together the 'launch' script that is now employed.
And further back, 01Micko (the 'head honcho'), and iguleder - both of whom have indirectly helped keep this thread going for as long as it has, with references & links.

Thanks must also go to OscarTalks and peebee, for suggestions and assistance over the last couple of years.

---------------------------------

Any problems, boys & girls, you know where to find me.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 19:34    Post subject: Re: Google Chrome 64-bit PET & SFS packages
Subject description: Chrome 73.0.3683.75 : more new 'mods' - now running under /home/spot

Mike Walsh wrote:
Evening, ... stable version of Chrome
... available for download ... location
referenced in post #1 ... problems, boys
& girls, you know where ...
I would like a question if possible to be
addressed, and here's the peshat of it:
can this application be run in a
"portable" folder as I am doing with the
FireFox program even now as I post this?

Thanks in advance, Kelikaku. B'H.
monkeyeatingalemon-2.jpg
 Description   This is an image of a monkey
eating a lemon, for
no particular reason. B'H.
 Filesize   28.25 KB
 Viewed   70 Time(s)

monkeyeatingalemon-2.jpg

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 21:27    Post subject:  

@ MrDuckGuy:-

Mm. Never really thought about it, TBH. In its current format, no (there's too many extra additions & bits'n'bobs in other directories to permit that). I could look into it, though it would be a perhaps 'stripped-down' version - some of the additional functionality (like the permissions changer for uploads/downloads, and the 'glib-schemas' compiler script) might have to be installed as separate .pets before you started using it.

When I started doing this a few years back I never envisaged running it that way. Consequently, it wasn't built with portability in mind.

I'll look into it, OK? Just don't expect to see it any time soon.....I have a lot on my plate most days (I'm a full-time carer, y'see). I'll put my considering cap on, and have a think about the best way to do this....

Mike. Wink

Page 18 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: