BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

Re: BionicDog no sound FIXED

#761 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ether wrote:/root/.asound.rc file was missing.
It would have been useful if you had answered my questions.

fredx181

#762 Post by fredx181 »

Ether wrote:@fredx181 & @rcrsn51

Sound is working now.

Thanks for hanging in there and helping me.

/root/.asound.rc file was missing.

How exactly did you solve it then ?

Ether

#763 Post by Ether »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Ether wrote:/root/.asound.rc file was missing.
It would have been useful if you had answered my questions.
Yes

Yes

The file was missing.

Ether

#764 Post by Ether »

fredx181 wrote:How exactly did you solve it then ?
I created the file /root/.asound.rc and put the following contents in it:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 4
defaults.ctl.card 1

Thank you both. It's working now.

Ether

#765 Post by Ether »

Ether wrote:Thank you both. It's working now.
If it would be helpful, I can start with a fresh install and take detailed notes and screenshots.

If there is a specific sequence of steps and/or screenshots you would prefer let me know and I will do that.

rcrsn51

#766 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's not necessary. But could you tell me what card 1 - device 4 looks like in the drop-down list?

Is this output to analog speakers or something like HDMI?

Ether

#767 Post by Ether »

rcrsn51 wrote:That's not necessary. But could you tell me what card 1 - device 4 looks like in the drop-down list?
card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH7 - IEC958]

Is this output to analog speakers or something like HDMI?
I have a pair of powered speakers plugged into the blue 3.5 mm stereo (TRS) jack on the back of the machine. Audio is on mobo I think, not a separate sound card.

Ether

#768 Post by Ether »

Hmm.

Before I created /root/.asound.rc the card selector said card1. Now it says card0.

Ether

#769 Post by Ether »

Ether wrote:Hmm.

Before I created /root/.asound.rc the card selector said card1. Now it says card0.

see attachments.
Attachments
card0 device0.jpg
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
card0 device4.jpg
(27.23 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

rcrsn51

#770 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. There is something odd about this card, but it's nice that Sound Card Selector eventually found the right choice.

Did you have to use trial-and-error before you got to card0-device4?

Usually, the analog device would be listed as such.

wiak

#771 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

For anyone fed up with relying on Debian/Ubuntu bloated apps for building their small distros...

Have you taken a look at 'Void Linux'? I know you have a lot on your plate, but if you ever wanted a distro that has its own independent package manager (called XBPS; working like apt/dpkg really) with ability, I believe, to build its own tailored-small apps, from source, for own repositories (local and/or remote), a VoidDog with Porteus boot working would be a real winner IMO. Of course, maybe I should look into that myself, but as I've stated many times I'm really not personally interested in building distros (and would have to spend ages learning how Porteus boot or similar works) - I just like building apps like weX or programming system utils in C or whatever more generally. I'm far too lazy to polish any distro or maintain one - I'd abandon any such effort way prior to bothering about completion...!!!

Void iso is not itself small, but includes tons of firmware, so I'm sure a very small cutdown puppylike version could certainly be made. Has various DE iso versions (and one without) and also tar.gz version(s) for chroot use... Can also use musl or glibc choice of iso used.

I briefly described my initial experiments with Void Linux here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51#1022151

NOTE: Doesn't use systemd - uses runit, which first experience with I enjoyed.

wiak

EDIT:
Here's another user's comment about Void Linux. Not everyone on that thread agrees, it's fair to say, but what's new about 'disagreements' ;-)

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _thoughts/
In reply to: I’m just wondering if anyone here uses Void as a daily driver or has any thoughts about the distro.
rahen wrote: Void has been a revelation for me on the desktop, like Alpine was for servers.

I use the musl variant with dwm. Whatever the distro I have an Ubuntu 18.04 chroot whenever I need a package that doesn't exist, requires Ubuntu or a PPA, or requires glibc.

I love Void because it's lean and hackable, in the Unix tradition. The packages are split, and if you're willing to spend time with it you can really remove a lot of cruft, even more than Debian because it doesn't use systemd.

In my case I wrote my own udev scripts plus devmon so I don't require gvfs (even my smartphone mounts automatically), or actually anything from a DE, it's all CLI. No need for polkit, pulseaudio, glibc, or xdg either, it's Linux your way.

To sum up: it's still a hackable binary distro, there's no monolith, there are few processes by default and you can swap any core part of the system, unlike Arch, Ubuntu or Fedora which have turned into an Open Source Windows-like system.

Get yourself a Void chroot and try it now

fredx181

#772 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks wiak, I'll try Void someday, looks great, but, as you say I have taken too much on my plate, so probably no "puppy-like" Void from me (but who knows what the future brings :wink: )

Fred

Ether

Android USB data connection

#773 Post by Ether »

Problem downloading files from Samsung Android phone to PC running Bionic Dog 32bit via USB data cable. See attached error message.

Is fixing this a simple matter of downloading/installing something using Synaptic? I tried some search terms but could not find anything that matched the error message.

Bionic Dog 32bit 2018-06-24 does not work.

DebDog Jessie 32bit does not work.

Xenial Pup 32bit works fine out of the box.

Bionic Pup 64bit works fine out of the box.
Attachments
Samsung USB data.png
(71.57 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

dancytron

Re: Android USB data connection

#774 Post by dancytron »

Ether wrote:.

Problem downloading files from Samsung Android phone to PC running Bionic Dog 32bit via USB data cable. See attached error message.

Is fixing this a simple matter of downloading/installing something using Synaptic? I tried some search terms but could not find anything that matched the error message.

Bionic Dog 32bit 2018-06-24 does not work.

DebDog Jessie 32bit does not work.

Xenial Pup 32bit works fine out of the box.

Bionic Pup 64bit works fine out of the box.
FWIW, I never got this to work with my Samsung S4.

Instead, I got ES File Manager on my phone and use it to move files back and forth over wifi (SAMBA on my computer) and I can also play videos and mp3 files from my hard drive on my phone. I also use wifi so I can use my phone as a remote control for my computer.

Ether

#775 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:
FWIW, I never got this to work with my Samsung S4.
It works fine with Xenial Pup and Bionic Pup and a full-up installation of Ubuntu 18.04

It does not work with any of the "Dog" versions I've tried so far.

fredx181

#776 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ether, I have no idea what's missing in the Dogs, but you may want to try camphonetab, program by rcrsn51
Deb package:
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... _1.6-1.deb
Thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2cf46796e9

Fred

wiak

#777 Post by wiak »

I've had Dog to Android transfers working in the past (wrote about it on some thread here, but forget which one). However, it was flaky (sometimes failed to connect), so I tend to use other means nowadays (e.g. last time I installed sftp server daemon on android and used sftp for transfer). I think the method I originally used involves setting up MTP as described in links below.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/146529/ ... es-via-usb
https://appuals.com/how-to-transfer-fil ... on-ubuntu/
https://www.debugpoint.com/2016/03/how- ... tocol-mtp/
https://wiki.debian.org/mtp
debian wrote:Commandline

Several tools provide a FUSE based file system for mounting MTP devices within the Unix filesystem hierarchy, making it accessible to any program that operates on files and directories. Examples include mtpfs, jMTPFS, go-mtpfs and simple-mtpfs, etc...

mtp-tools

install package name=mtp-tools

TODO: document usage, but see below.

jmtpfs

Uses FUSE to mount your device's MTP structure into a POSIX filesystem, and fusermount to unmount the device.

install package name=jmtpfs

create <directory> as your mount point: $ mkdir -p <directory>

make sure you have write access to <directory>: $ sudo chown $USER:$USER <directory>

to mount your device: $ jmtpfs <directory/>

On some MTP devices: your screen must be unlocked in order to mount. However, you might get a (spurious) input/output error even if the screen is unlocked.

to unmount your device: $ fusermount -u <directory/>

mtpfs

mtpfs has been orphaned since Squeeze, anyway mtpfs is very similar to jmtpfs, except for the executable name, package name, and package status

install package name=mtpfs

to mount your device: $ mtpfs <directory/>

to unmount your device: $ fusermount -u <directory/>

Ether

how to use deb files with "dog" and"puppy" distros ?

#778 Post by Ether »

I've never used deb files.

While I'm busy searching, if someone could post a link to a beginner's guide I'd be grateful.

dancytron

Re: how to use deb files with "dog" and"puppy" distros ?

#779 Post by dancytron »

I've never used deb files.

While I'm busy searching, if someone could post a link to a beginner's guide I'd be grateful.

You mean how to install it?

Right click on the .deb file. Choose "install .deb" or similar.

Ether

Re: how to use deb files with "dog" and"puppy" distros ?

#780 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:
Right click on the .deb file. Choose "install .deb" or similar.
Thx. I'll try that.