(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 27 Nov 2020, 13:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 9 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
vtpup

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 23:29    Post subject:  

Relevant 2 sections of var/log/messages:
Quote:

Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input5
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.notice kernel: cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.err kernel: Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...

31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: input: chtmax98090 Headset Jack as /devices/pci0000:00/808622A8:00/cht-bsw-max98090/sound/card1/input8
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: intel-spi intel-spi: w25q64dw (8192 Kbytes)
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.notice kernel: Creating 1 MTD partitions on "intel-spi":
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.notice kernel: 0x000000000000-0x000000800000 : "BIOS"
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.err kernel: Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 170x48
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input9
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input10
Mar 31 02:19:53 GFD4627 user.info kernel: input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input11

Available soundcards -- screenshot.
Soundcards.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Soundcards.jpg 
Filesize  35.74 KB 
Downloaded  216 Time(s) 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2019, 09:20    Post subject:  

vtpup,

My only suggestion is to try each of: card 1 device 0, card 1 device 1 from Set Default Sound card. After choosing one open AlsaMixer and make sure that it's not muted. Muted controls wil have MM at the bottom. Press the m key to toggle mute/un-mute. I've attached a picture of AlsaMixer that has the Master contol muted, just in case you haven't had to deal with AlsaMixer before.
xscreenshot-20190331T091721.png
 Description   
 Filesize   24.98 KB
 Viewed   969 Time(s)

xscreenshot-20190331T091721.png

jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 03:47    Post subject:  

This is interesting: I just fried my laptop speaker with ALSA!

Didn't think that could happen. Was just adjusting some levels in alsamixer, and I heard some beeps and pops. And then the smell...that unmistakable burning electronics smell. So I lifted up to see what was going and where the smell came from. And felt the area below speaker was too hot to touch, could have burned my finger if I left it there.

Now one speaker is fried.

OK, that's enough playing with Linux sound on this R11. Now I gotta open this up and repair/replace the speakers. Hopefully no other damage.

Cautionary tale...
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 07:03    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
This is interesting: I just fried my laptop speaker with ALSA!

Didn't think that could happen. Was just adjusting some levels in alsamixer, and I heard some beeps and pops. And then the smell...that unmistakable burning electronics smell. So I lifted up to see what was going and where the smell came from. And felt the area below speaker was too hot to touch, could have burned my finger if I left it there.

Now one speaker is fried.

OK, that's enough playing with Linux sound on this R11. Now I gotta open this up and repair/replace the speakers. Hopefully no other damage.

Cautionary tale...

I reported this happening to me on DebianDog about 2 months ago. I realised that it happened after boosting a gain signal in alsa for a soc sound card btrcr_rt5640. Both speakers and the screen edging melted, could have burst into flames and burnt the house down ... no shit!
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 08:34    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
I reported this happening to me on DebianDog about 2 months ago. I realised that it happened after boosting a gain signal in alsa for a soc sound card btrcr_rt5640. Both speakers and the screen edging melted, could have burst into flames and burnt the house down ... no shit!

Yeah, this is insane! I thought the same thing: if this was on a tablecloth and I didn't catch it, would have caught fire. Wow...imagine that: you could hack into someone's laptop, tweek the speaker controls, and burn their house down! "death by stereo."(1987)

Why does the audio speaker circuit have that much juice, available via a simple software command? This one is a chtmax98090 chip in the Acer R11.
jake29

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 09:58    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
stemsee wrote:

Yeah, this is insane! I thought the same thing: if this was on a tablecloth and I didn't catch it, would have caught fire. Wow...imagine that: you could hack into someone's laptop, tweek the speaker controls, and burn their house down! "death by stereo."(1987)

Why does the audio speaker circuit have that much juice, available via a simple software command? This one is a chtmax98090 chip in the Acer R11.

I noticed when running Ubuntu on my laptop, max SoC audio volume is quite low - perhaps there is a known danger around pushing the chip too hard.
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 14:10    Post subject:  

jake29 wrote:
I noticed when running Ubuntu on my laptop, max SoC audio volume is quite low - perhaps there is a known danger around pushing the chip too hard.

Not sure if that's related or not.
Normally, if your audio chipset is supported, getting your laptop speakers working is just a matter of selecting the right card, usually the one that says analog. And then adjusting alsamixer (setting levels, unmuting) and maybe map the master volume slider to the tray, etc. I don't think simply adjusting volume would cause your laptop to melt.

One final note of warning:
The standard alsamixer picture above that kirk posted is what I normally see on other laptops. But if your alsamixer looks like the picture below, individual controls/pages, over 100 of them, beware. I was playing around with some setting over past page 100 or so, like the last snapshot, some kind of gain, and that's when it began to smoke. Can't remember exactly which one, because I shut off when it began to smoke. Then when I booted up and it started getting hot again, I shut it back off. So I realized what was happening and deleted the fatdog savefile and the overheating went away, along with one speaker.
alsa.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   173.44 KB
 Viewed   734 Time(s)

alsa.gif

vtpup

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 22:08    Post subject:  

Hmmm.....there's a report of similar speaker heating problems here:

https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/270

worrisome....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 22:36    Post subject:  

vtpup wrote:
Hmmm.....there's a report of similar speaker heating problems here:

https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/270

worrisome....

Yeah, scary. Looks like a few of them got hit with blown speakers while working on GalliumOS.

I never heard of this issue till I fried my own speaker. Wish I had known about it or it was more widely disseminated. Googling around, there were reports of this here and there but didn't seem to garner much attention.(at least nothing like Galaxy Note 7 level)
I like this one, semi joking, "How To" from many years ago:
How to fry speakers in your Chromebook

Tinkering is fun and all that...until you burn through your desk! Shocked
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:28    Post subject:  

I'm speechless. Shocked

Even ignoring all other aspects of the kernel/hardware bug, doesn't those who designed the codec chip think of over-current protection? It's just an extra transistor and a resistor ... something that virtually cost nothing in an IC.

Another thing that made me speechless is this: the link you gave indicated that the bug existed since Dec 2012, if not before. And nobody bothered to fix it? Not HP, not Acer, not Google, not anyone? Shocked

At this point in time then the only sure way to avoid the bug is run Chromebook without sound support Shocked

Anyway, thank you for your warning and sharing your experience. It's bad what happened to your Chromebook, I hope you can get it fixed one way or another.

I'd probably re-posted this in my blog to serve as warning for others. I came from the days where re-programming the CRTC the wrong way can physically destruct the CRT monitor, but like you I believed that those days are long past. Apparently it isn't Shocked

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 14:04    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
At this point in time then the only sure way to avoid the bug is run Chromebook without sound support

See my suggestion on page 4.
jd7654

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 15:02    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Another thing that made me speechless is this: the link you gave indicated that the bug existed since Dec 2012, if not before. And nobody bothered to fix it? Not HP, not Acer, not Google, not anyone?

Yeah, I'm surprised in this day and age that nobody lawyered up or went to the press. Guess there was no financial incentive. I wonder though, if it is just more of packing more power into ever smaller size, no margin for error.(like batteries)

jamesbond wrote:
Anyway, thank you for your warning and sharing your experience. It's bad what happened to your Chromebook, I hope you can get it fixed one way or another.

Thanks. Could've been worse. Stemsee seems to have been hit harder, with both speakers and screen edge melted. At least I still got one working, but I'm surprised the plastic didn't melt, felt like a flameless lighter was underneath the grill!

I took a look at the iFix it for the R11 Speaker Replacement and it doesn't look too hard to replace the speakers...which are on either side of the lithium ion battery! <omg>
don570

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 20:15    Post subject:  

rcrscn51 recommended external sound card

I bought a cheap sound card adaptor ($10) for my raspberry pi
and the quality of sound was excellent and easy to set up with alsa mixer.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998602#998602
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2019, 02:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
... external sound card
I bought a cheap sound card adaptor...

Why compromise?! A small solid state hi-fi amplifier can be had from China/eBay for ~same cost. Plug into green sound OP, just need a pair of good speakers, then. But if you can't afford expensive ones pick a pair of old ones out of your local amenity dump/ skip/dumpsters. Get as large as possible in wood cabinets. If they're cheap infinite baffle types [ie totally sealed] take them apart, reinforce them with scrap timber strips (wood glue will suffice}. Stuff the internal space with scrap polystyrene foam [used for packaging of eg white goods, etc]. Firmly screw and stick the whole lot back together, possibly using foam draught excluder along the joints. Bingo - might even have a few pennies change from your £10/$10/E10.
Always a better choice than the internal /commercial options.
If you're really strapped for cash, it is possible to convert an old ISA sound card into a suitable amplifier with a bit of circuit tracing and modification, powered from a USB port. I described the details several centuries ago. But, the master stroke is always good speakers.
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2019, 07:19    Post subject:  

Quote:
Even ignoring all other aspects of the kernel/hardware bug, doesn't those who designed the codec chip think of over-current protection? It's just an extra transistor and a resistor ... something that virtually cost nothing in an IC.

Hard to believe there no current limiter, just wow.
Page 9 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: