BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
RedQuine

Re: Cannot run lifeograph

#601 Post by RedQuine »

OscarTalks wrote:
lizardidi wrote:After few days of messing around, still unable to run lifeograph on Bionicpup32 puppy.

The program will install successfully, but unable to create diary, or open any text file.

In terminal, the error code is as below:

# lifeograph
ERROR: Failed to create the entry view

(lifeograph:26143): glibmm-ERROR **: 22:54:28.172:
unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

Trace/breakpoint trap

From the error code, it said there is a problem with glibmm. However, i had installed all the dependencies. In bionicpup32, i think the glibmm is already installed.

Will try for another few days, is there any puppies that can install and run the latest lifeograph?
I looked at this in BionicPup32 and tried a few things but always got the same error as you.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but in Dpup Stretch I installed Lifeograph from PPM and it seems to work. Version is slightly earlier at 1.4.0
I just tested it in BionicPup64. It passed dependency check, but when I tried to run it, it failed because it was looking for glibmm 3.x. Once I updated to glibmm to 3.0-1v5_3.22.2-2 (in PPM), it ran perfectly. Maybe worth checking in BionicPup32?

Nice application, by the way! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

lizardidi

#602 Post by lizardidi »

RedQuine wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:
lizardidi wrote:After few days of messing around, still unable to run lifeograph on Bionicpup32 puppy.

The program will install successfully, but unable to create diary, or open any text file.

In terminal, the error code is as below:

# lifeograph
ERROR: Failed to create the entry view

(lifeograph:26143): glibmm-ERROR **: 22:54:28.172:
unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

Trace/breakpoint trap

From the error code, it said there is a problem with glibmm. However, i had installed all the dependencies. In bionicpup32, i think the glibmm is already installed.

Will try for another few days, is there any puppies that can install and run the latest lifeograph?
I looked at this in BionicPup32 and tried a few things but always got the same error as you.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but in Dpup Stretch I installed Lifeograph from PPM and it seems to work. Version is slightly earlier at 1.4.0
I just tested it in BionicPup64. It passed dependency check, but when I tried to run it, it failed because it was looking for glibmm 3.x. Once I updated to glibmm to 3.0-1v5_3.22.2-2 (in PPM), it ran perfectly. Maybe worth checking in BionicPup32?

Nice application, by the way! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)
Thanks OscarTalks and RedQuine!

I updated bionicpup32 ppm repo, however, I can't find libglibmm-3.0. The most recent in the PPM is libglibmm-2.4.

Tried to search libglibmm-3.0 online, however, all i found is the libglibmm-2.4. Can share the libglibmm-3.0 here?

p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day. When i test a puppy/dog, 2 most important task for me is (1) succesful cups connection to my office network printer, (2) import/export note in lifeograph; Tahrpup is one of my favourite, however, I cant get it to connect to Toshiba e-Studio printer (filter-failed); Bionicpup32 is a huge improvement for puppy that it can connect to my network printer without difficulty.

perdido

#603 Post by perdido »

Nvidia display driver version 304.137.PET for kernel 4.9.163 latest bionicpup32
http://ibm-pc.org/puppy/bionic/nvidia-x ... .9.163.pet
MD5 d171cd7a2101ee31ede0bbe267c30d27

Download is about 44MB.

OscarTalks

#604 Post by OscarTalks »

lizardidi wrote:p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day.
Lifeograph is GTK3 which is not really fully supported in Puppy.
The version 1.4.0 in Stretch PPM works, but seems to have been compiled with debugging enabled so you get lots of DBG messages if running from terminal.

I was able to compile the later version 1.4.2 from source in Dpup Stretch with debugging disabled so it is the same as the Bionic32 version and runs silently and sweetly in terminal. If you decide to try running Dpup Stretch I can upload this version for you to test.
Oscar in England

lizardidi

#605 Post by lizardidi »

OscarTalks wrote:
lizardidi wrote:p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day.
Lifeograph is GTK3 which is not really fully supported in Puppy.
The version 1.4.0 in Stretch PPM works, but seems to have been compiled with debugging enabled so you get lots of DBG messages if running from terminal.

I was able to compile the later version 1.4.2 from source in Dpup Stretch with debugging disabled so it is the same as the Bionic32 version and runs silently and sweetly in terminal. If you decide to try running Dpup Stretch I can upload this version for you to test.

Many thanks in advance OscarTalks!

I am now trying my frugally installed Dpup. Indeed a very well build puppy! All my network printers detected and run strainght away.

Can you upload it to the forum? This way others will have the chance to use this excellent programs as well.

OscarTalks

#606 Post by OscarTalks »

lizardidi wrote:I am now trying my frugally installed Dpup. Indeed a very well build puppy! All my network printers detected and run strainght away.

Can you upload it to the forum? This way others will have the chance to use this excellent programs as well.
It is too big to upload directly to the forum, but senior Puppy community member smokey01 kindly provides me with some storage space for this kind of thing, so I have uploaded it here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Strictly for testing with no warranty of course.
This package is designed to install and work in Dpup Stretch in one go, so the gtkmm-3.0 libraries are included, meaning you don't need to install them as an extra dependency.
Note that there are no DBG debugging messages in terminal, unlike the official Debian version 1.4.0 which produces volumes of them.
Menu entry is in the Personal section.
Attachments
lifeograph142-version-stretch.jpg
Showing the 1.4.2 version in the About window
(39.56 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times
lifeograph142-manual-stretch.jpg
Displaying the manual
(41.49 KiB) Downloaded 1493 times
Oscar in England

lizardidi

#607 Post by lizardidi »

Installed and run perfectly on Dpup Stretch 4.1.48.

Thank you so much for your time and help, and also the recommendation too. You have my salute man.

peebee

#608 Post by peebee »

Latest version is bionicpup32-8.0+3-uefi.iso
Kernel is 4.9.163

iso md5 = 0260b7c401c69f050c82db6cb77e1c17 bionicpup32-8.0+3-uefi.iso

Preferred download from SourceForge

Alternative download from Ibiblio (mainly for DistroWatch purposes)

Delta available - can only be applied to the base iso:
9d753e2dffd49beaba80751e87a45c3f bionicpup32-8.0+0-uefi.iso
which can be downloaded from SourceForge
Last edited by peebee on Sat 27 Apr 2019, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

#609 Post by OscarTalks »

Right-click on the network tray icon
Network Status Information (/usr/sbin/ipinfo) is not displaying external IP
Tick the box to Query opendns.com for external IP
Click OK and then open it again
Shows as "unresolved"
This one by radky works OK if substituted:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=563
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#610 Post by Mike Walsh »

morochos wrote:
It is updated as soon as a suitable version becomes available - however AlienBob has had problems building the latest 32-bit version.....
Nice! How we get these updates? Dowloading again the sfs with the link in the menu?
@ morochos:-

Do be aware that the Chromium-based 'clones' under Linux (and this includes Chrome; Google themselves made the conscious decision to quit supporting 32-bit on this side of the fence) don't auto-update in the same way as they do under Windoze.

The 'cron' folder is there in the Chrome builds I produce, but it doesn't appear to be used.....and even for the mainline distros, the procedure is usually to download the entire new build from Google's own repos, and over-write the existing one. For Chromium, most distros tend to re-compile their own versions, and, as peebee says, accepted procedure is to update by re-installing with the 'correct', distro-specific version.

At least Linux Chrome does keep PepperFlash updated (although I'll be darn glad when the web finally goes all-HTML5!!) Image

Mike. Image

peebee

#611 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Right-click on the network tray icon
Network Status Information (/usr/sbin/ipinfo) is not displaying external IP
Tick the box to Query opendns.com for external IP
Click OK and then open it again
Shows as "unresolved"
This one by radky works OK if substituted:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=563
Thanks - Woof-CE rootfs-skeleton updated.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jrb

#612 Post by jrb »

Hi Peebee,

Is it just me or is the right-click->Copy menu missing in bionicpup32-8.0+3-uefi.iso? I solved the problem by copying in the /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer folder from upupbb-18.05+28.iso and restarting X.

darry19662018

#613 Post by darry19662018 »

Well tried this out on a Vaio VGN-FE15GP Laptop unlike Cuttlefish and Disco Dingo this actually ran without problems including PPM. The biggest difference was being able to play mp4s without having to re-install mplayer.

Very disappointing on those other 2 releases.

Internet wise connected first up on wireless and online streaming works.

Good release but with regards to the latest stuff please check your work.
Last edited by darry19662018 on Mon 22 Apr 2019, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

thinkpadfreak

#614 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
Bionicpup32 is working fine on my thinkpad X121e.

By the way, bionicpup32-8.0-uefi.iso from ibiblio does not seem to be the latest iso.
Its md5sum is that of +2 iso and the file is dated April 7, 2019.

I downloaded the latest iso from sourceforge.
However, those visiting puppylinux.com do not seem to be able to download the latest iso.

Edit:
Things seem to have been corrected now. Thank those related.

popfan

#615 Post by popfan »

Hi all,

I want to use this bionic iso without extracting it in my multiboot flashdisk, so I used this code in Menu.lst (GRUB) file like this, I put the bionic.iso file in the root of my usb disk:

title Bionic32
map /bionic.iso (0xff) || map --mem /bionic.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /vmlinuz from=/bionic.iso ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw
initrd /initrd.gz

I tested this flashdisk with virtualbox soft and its started decompressing but stopped after few seconds and said that its couldnt found "puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs".

Thank you to help and show how to boot with this iso file

Max Headroom

#616 Post by Max Headroom »

PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

popfan

#617 Post by popfan »

Max Headroom wrote:popfan, Use isobooter...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 46&t=67235

;-)K
thanx for reply, will try.

OscarTalks

#618 Post by OscarTalks »

Going back to the problem of lifeograph refusing to run,
While experimenting a bit with Gnome MPV which is also GTK3, I discovered that the issue seems to be that icon resources are missing.

The default icon theme for GTK3 is adwaita-icon-theme
If I install this in Bionic32 via PPM, lifeograph from PPM will then run.
There is a cut-down version of this icon theme in Ubuntu, but it drags in other icon theme stuff as "dependencies" and ends up quite large.

We seem to get away with just having libgtk-3 on board to get the browsers running, but if we want Puppy to be able to run other GTK3 stuff in future I think someone will need to take a look at the issue of themes and icons for it. Even with the browsers there are missing icons in the chooser dialogs. Maybe I will start another thread about this, but it will be in the hope that others with better understanding than me can suggest what could be included without adding too much unnecessary bloat.
Oscar in England

davids45

Internet Connection Wizard & Wifi [SOLVED]

#619 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I'm now having to manually run the wizard in this Pup and some other Pups that I felt sure I did not have to do not long ago.

I am changing from an ethernet connection on the home network to wifi.

This does slow down the connecting process a bit so could it be a timing issue - the wizard gives up too soon.

The Simple Network Setup (SNS) wizard is definitely affected, and I'm now trying Frisbee (haven't restarted yet). I think Dougals wizard is also in the 'now won't start at boot-up' camp.

SOLUTION (Cause): I had made links of the wizard config files residing in /etc to my data partition to share the profiles between Pups.
Alas, I now see that the wifi connection process starts up before the data partition is mounted by the script in /root/Startup :( :oops: .
So there is effectively no profile for the wizard to use during booting.
I have to find a way to do this perhaps in one of the Pup's sfs drv files, or create just one for these links to include with each Pup - a l-drv (links drive)
maybe?

David s.

jrb

Re: Internet Connection Wizard & Wifi [SOLVED]

#620 Post by jrb »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

I'm now having to manually run the wizard in this Pup and some other Pups that I felt sure I did not have to do not long ago.

I am changing from an ethernet connection on the home network to wifi.

This does slow down the connecting process a bit so could it be a timing issue - the wizard gives up too soon.

The Simple Network Setup (SNS) wizard is definitely affected, and I'm now trying Frisbee (haven't restarted yet). I think Dougals wizard is also in the 'now won't start at boot-up' camp.

SOLUTION (Cause): I had made links of the wizard config files residing in /etc to my data partition to share the profiles between Pups.
Alas, I now see that the wifi connection process starts up before the data partition is mounted by the script in /root/Startup :( :oops: .
So there is effectively no profile for the wizard to use during booting.
I have to find a way to do this perhaps in one of the Pup's sfs drv files, or create just one for these links to include with each Pup - a l-drv (links drive)
maybe?

David s.
David, try putting your data partition mounting script in /etc/init.d instead of /root/Startup. It will start earlier. You can put it to the head of the queue by naming it with a 0 at the beginning, eg: 0_mntmydrv.