Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#121 Post by jrb »

I figured out the peasycan sane problem. In Barry's Precise there's a package listed in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS called "sane-backends" which I forgot to include in my Precise-light. It has three different Ubuntu .debs in it so I built it up as a .pet. This plus peasyscan works. :D If there's popular demand I'll include it in the next update, otherwise just use these two .pets

sane_backends-1.0.22.pet
md5sum = 74546d3debef1f50e62a4fe54bdc595f sane_backends-1.0.22.pet

peasyscan-2.13.pet

jrb

#122 Post by jrb »

I just downloaded and used fredx181's ffportable-inst.gz to download and build the latest Firefox Quantum portable. Renamed the script to ffportable-inst. Right-clicked on it, went to "permissions" chose "yes", clicked on the script. A folder called "firefox_66.0.3_32" appeared. I went inside the folder, clicked "firefox", watched a couple of Youtube videos. Doesn't get any more up to date. 8)
Last edited by jrb on Tue 16 Apr 2019, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#123 Post by jrb »

Just downloaded the latest Calibre ebook viewer and converter , release (3.40.1), from here. Extracted the .txz package with UExtract, clicked on the "calibre" binary inside, read a passage from the Quick Start Guide, converted an .epub to .pdf and read a passage from that.

musher0

#124 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

A forum member reported on another thread a problem with a dead battery
on his/her old laptop, so I brushed up my htpdate script. I also upgraded the
htpdate utility to its latest version as of this writing, v. 1.2.0. Please find
attached a pet archive with htpdate compiled for PuppyPrecise-571L.

You can learn about htpdate, what it does, plus how and why it can be
useful, here.

Enjoy.
Attachments
htpdate-1.2.0-32bits_PPrecise-571L.pet
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

futwerk

#125 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds'
Attachments
preciselight6.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(20.91 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times
preciselight5.jpg
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
preciselight3.jpg
(12.74 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times
precicelight4.jpg
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times

sheldonisaac

Re: First .delta update

#126 Post by sheldonisaac »

jrb (in part) wrote:I am issuing the first update using a .delta file.
Thanks a lot, jrb! Your directions were very clear. The updated
Precise-light booted fine:
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Apr 18 08:01 precisesave-apr18
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82243616 Apr 14 20:42 puppy_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1326001 Apr 14 20:33 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3574864 Apr 14 20:33 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27488288 Apr 14 20:33 zdrv_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#127 Post by jrb »

musher0 wrote:Hello all.

A forum member reported on another thread a problem with a dead battery
on his/her old laptop, so I brushed up my htpdate script. I also upgraded the
htpdate utility to its latest version as of this writing, v. 1.2.0. Please find
attached a pet archive with htpdate compiled for PuppyPrecise-571L.

You can learn about htpdate, what it does, plus how and why it can be
useful, here.

Enjoy.
Thanks musher, I've always used ntpdate but I'll give this a try.

jrb

#128 Post by jrb »

futwerk wrote:new backgrounds'
WOW! Thanks for the awesome art futwerk. :D

Now lets see, which one shall I use? :?

Quick Preview:
Attachments
Preciselight_desktop.jpg
(44.62 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Last edited by jrb on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

Re: First .delta update

#129 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:
jrb (in part) wrote:I am issuing the first update using a .delta file.
Thanks a lot, jrb! Your directions were very clear. The updated
Precise-light booted fine:
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Apr 18 08:01 precisesave-apr18
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82243616 Apr 14 20:42 puppy_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1326001 Apr 14 20:33 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3574864 Apr 14 20:33 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27488288 Apr 14 20:33 zdrv_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
Glad to hear that Sheldon. I hope everything else is working as well as the boot.

jrb

#130 Post by jrb »

For those of you who find the playmusic+ffplay mediaplayer just a little too uncontrolled. (BTW, you can click within the display window to advance or return but it doesn't tell you how far or even where you are). This is a nice lightweight version of MPV that is still available. I have used it in everything from Precise to Bionicpup32. When you put your mouse cursor in the display window it provides a small gui. The binary is 18mb versus ffplay's 116kb but it is much more controllable.

mpv-20150814-git-i686-precise.pet

Thanks jlst.

I am attaching a very small .pet to convert over to playmusic+mpv. It even plays "opus" files, just for musher0, but you have to set the "Run Action" to "playmusic" on those files.
Attachments
playmusic-mpv-0.1.pet
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

musher0

#131 Post by musher0 »

Yeah, sure, like I'm the only person in the world using opus music files! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

iaiai

I appologize for beeing rude in advance

#132 Post by iaiai »

Hi , sorry for being noob and jumping right in to discussion.
First thank you jrb for your hard and awesome work and for the kind work to thing about us OldDogs, is awesome to see someone to go back and refresh or do some work for old puppies , so that could be done on old hardware

wanted to write on this forum for longer time and asking about old puppies
how the packet management is handled or how to fix old pupp that their package support have been put down

sorry more to the topic
I'm running thar 6.0.6 right now , they have somehow fixed opera 12.15 so some websites work somehow with it (didn't work in 6.0.5 even it has same opera 12.15)

Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.
am still looking up more info but seems some processors that could be considered i686 don't have SSE2 that means not working applications that require it like palemoon or the blender 2.79b

question , may be going with different naming then i686 since even the manufacturers are inconsistent about the technology used in it ?
and may be going with just manufacture year ?

@perdido as old this machine is it is also little ... crazy, met with some weird thing
if i have the processor on higher then 1000 Mhz , and download some large files like 100+ MB the package is corrupted

NOW THE FUN THING this corruption is not checkable with MD5 sum method , only SHA256 or higher can say that the downloaded file is corrupt
guess it would be better to abandon md5 in favor for something ... else ?

since sometimes the corruption isn't much visible (meaning can open or unpack a package , but when starting to work with the application strange things start to happen)

i don't say that the SHA256 is the best way since sometimes happened (could be that in that case was it a smaller file can't remember )
that sha256 sum showed OK and when checked second time ti goes CORRUPT
so may be someone who have more knowledge about checksums could bring up some light

but still better then md5 since it didn't recognize almost ever a corrupted
download

i understand that it's only my issue since i have bad HW, but could be a hint for someone that something is wrong with their HW

anyway keep up the good work looking forward to check on this puppy on my old machines

watchdog

Re: I appologize for beeing rude in advance

#133 Post by watchdog »

iaiai wrote: Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.
am still looking up more info but seems some processors that could be considered i686 don't have SSE2 that means not working applications that require it like palemoon or the blender 2.79b
Have you tried the following palemoon?

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2

iaiai

#134 Post by iaiai »

watchdog wrote:
iaiai wrote: Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.

Edit: Hmm this link seem to work, thank you

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

thanks anyway for such fast reply, i'm gonna keep looking for more info

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android
Last edited by iaiai on Mon 22 Apr 2019, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#135 Post by mikeslr »

iaiai wrote:...BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 653#899653

Per 6502coder, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 22#1018922 Seamonkey 2.35 functions on computers which only have sse. You can download that version from here: https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/. Scroll to the bottom Section Titled "Old and Unofficial Releases". then click the link to 2.35.

But there seems to be something seriously wrong with your system. The link provided by Watchdog to palemoon..sse does download the tar.bz2 file.

jrb

#136 Post by jrb »

iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote:

Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android
Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old :( , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.

nic007

#137 Post by nic007 »

Deleted

iaiai

#138 Post by iaiai »

jrb wrote:
iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote: Have you tried the following palemoon?

Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old :( , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.
Hi , thanks a lot, i already found some working palemoon, but thank you
also is nice to know some shell script commands if something goes wrong in the future

the original post had a link ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux
am sure the link was like that because i tried that link on different computers with different browsers on them, an it didn't work

BUT after trying things out on ftp://ftp.palemoon.org is a readme file about not accessing the ftp that way or something

anyway found some working palemoon, but was kind of late and i was drunk so, sorry didn't respond
there is even a palemoon pet on this forum somewhere (youtube not working for me with this version but in case of emergency is good)

??? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#936686

and tweaked palemoon that works with youtube (well yesterday it worked)

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... bb#p145717

Sorry for the link to different forum
and sorry for the link to some download ,
well it is the same as posted before

well thank you all for your help

@jrb > now i want to know where to get the 12.16 opera XD old opera rulez , i thought that 12.15 is the last for linux, gonna search the web no need to worry :)

@mikeslr > also thank you for the link to Opera mini, gonna check it
but also was thinking about some mobile webbrowser that is open source so that it could be modified or forked when needed and also updated by some bigger company since the development on the web standards seem crazy *cough* google *cough* fast

and to the more important thing about not using md5 for checksums...
mikeslr wrote: ...But there seems to be something seriously wrong with your system. The link provided by Watchdog to palemoon..sse does download the tar.bz2 file.
@mikeslr > yeah it is , more then i can think of and it seem to be related to motherboard
, one touch on the FSB or frequency or the multiplier and strange things start to happen , CPU test run ok (some number calculations) and memory tests run OK
but it's visible with the SHA256 check sums, on the 100MB+ single files (packed or normal like .mp3s)
with SHA256 file seem corrupted (on first or second check) but MD5 still says that the checksum is OK

so please for more accurate check, use something different then MD5
it helps to know when something is wrong with HW

p.s.: sorry for the long posts , guess nobody reads it anyway XD

mikeslr

Old Opera 12.16

#139 Post by mikeslr »

"Where can I get old opera 12.16?"

Several places, including somewhere on ibiblio>Puppy>pets if I recall correctly. Or from the Opera Website "old versions". Just download a tar.gz or .deb, unpack it and start it by clicking its binary, or creating a symbolic link (and perhaps a Menu entry).

Opera 12,16 is a "no-arch" 32-bit application, meaning it will run under any 32-bit Puppy. So, here's a direct link to a version on Smokey's repository: http://smokey01.com/carolina/old_packages/, Just scroll down and handle like any other pet.

a_salty_dogg

#140 Post by a_salty_dogg »

For future reference, if anyone should need it, here's the link to Palemoon's own archive of all prior versions for both Linux and Windoze:

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/