deadbeef 1.8.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
666philb

deadbeef 1.8.0

#1 Post by 666philb »

after three years a new deadbeef has been released. http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/news0.html

note: the static version didn't work for me in bionicpup64 and i had to grab https://github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/1.8 and compile it myself

make sure the devx.sfs is installed . extract package, cd to folder and run 'autogen.sh' in a terminal (or just left click on it. you won't see any errors though then)
then

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr
then

make
then to install

make install
to make a pet

new2dir make install
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks for the news. I like DeaDBeeF.
I did a test compile in DpupStretch and all seems OK.

If you want opus support (which I very much do) you must install the opusfile package before compiling. The libopus package is also needed but is already in most recent Puppies
http://www.opus-codec.org/
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

My personal remaster of Dpup Wheezy has a later ffmpeg installed alongside the original libav alternative which was originally native to Wheezy.

In my build environment the DEV files relate to this ffmpeg as the libav libs are too old for this DeaDBeeF 1.8.0

I also added jansson which is required, plus the libopus (opus) 1.3 package and the opusfile 1.1 package for opus file and streaming playback. I also have to add libiconv as the build throws an error about missing ConvertUTF.h header file if I don't. All these packages are compiled from source.

DeaDBeeF 1.8.0 then compiles and runs very nicely.
Attachments
deadbeef-180-wheezy.jpg
DeaDBeeF 1.8.0 compiled and running in Dpup Wheezy remaster, shown here playing an ogg OPUS radio live stream.
(63.27 KiB) Downloaded 921 times
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Nice. Well, harking back to Oscar's static build of the older 0.7.2, I've just made a discovery I didn't know about.

None of the Mozilla browsers in Racy will playback the RadioTunes site - something about browsers not supporting mp3 and m4a (??) codecs. So, since I have a paid subscription with them, I get access to a .pls stream of my favourites. Normally, I just drop this into mpv and it plays....but the sound is distinctly 'average'.

I now know that DeaDBeeF will handle .pls streams. Like Oscar, I too prefer DB, because it's so configurable.....and has a really rather decent equalizer to boot.

Sweet!

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Now, then...

Here's an experimental build of the new DeaDBeeF 1.8.0. It's a dynamic build (not like one of Oscar's clever 'static' ones - I don't know enough about that side of things to even attempt it yet), so includes the required libjansson and libiconv. It's also my first attempt at a compile of any kind of size, so....bear that in mind if you decide to give it a whirl.

It, along with libjansson & libiconv, was compiled in Slacko 560; it also runs OK in Slacko 570, since both are Slackware 14.0-based. I've also tried it in Precise 571, where it does work, but complains that certain plugins aren't supported..?

You can find it here (if you're feeling crazy enough to try it!):-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hTDtY4 ... sp=sharing

(Also runs in Racy 5.5, and plays my .pls stream. It replaces Oscar's 0.7.2-static package. That's my streaming radio sorted!)

Mike. Image

darry19662018

#6 Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks Mike for that. It works in Cuttle Pup. Had to use your download as I found that Deadbeef wouldn't work if I downloaded it from PPM.

I wonder how to you stop the Deadbeef log from automatically showing when Deadbeef starts.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Darren.

Um; I don't know, TBH. There's nothing in 'Preferences' that looks like it would control it.

I suspect there is in all likelihood a 'flag'/'switch'/'option' that sets/unsets that at compile time. This is where my inexperience with this stuff shows through; I think I ought to have explored the items in the source code directory before diving straight in! Investigating the 'Help' options would have been a good start, of course! :oops:

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks also Mike !
darry19662018 wrote:I wonder how to you stop the Deadbeef log from automatically showing when Deadbeef starts.
Probably no official way but a workaround to suppress the plugin error message is to disable it by renaming or removing it from plugins directory /usr/lib/deadbeef (e.g. rename ffmpeg.so to ffmpeg.so.bak).

Fred

darry19662018

#9 Post by darry19662018 »

Ok thanks Mike.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Darren:-

Fred's suggestion does work. I'm in DPup Stretch ATM, and for me, the plugin that always triggers the log is cdda.so. So I've re-named it to cdda.so.bak, and on subsequent starts.....no log.

I would hazard a guess that so long as you can still do everything you want to with it, then it's probably safe to perform the above 'workaround'. In my case, it's all mp3 and wav/wma files, plus a .pls radio stream. None of those are affected by re-naming that particular plugin; hell, it says it's not finding it anyway, so....it's not gonna make any difference, TBH.

Equatorial Denizen

Deadbeef 1.8.1 from PPM in Easy OS 2.1.1

#11 Post by Equatorial Denizen »

After many attempts, I was able to drive my SMSL AD18, using its USB-B input, with DB1.8.1.

In preferences, plugins must be left blank and conversion can be one many entries containing AD18.

By the way, Audacious, which is built in 2.1.1, also works with the AD18.

In this case, output plugin must be ALSA.

Both PCM device and Mixer device must be an entry containing AD18.

I, myself, prefer the sound produced by DB.

Still, DB produces a nicer sound in ScPUP64 19.06 +5.

Regards

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

I have now compiled DeaDBeeF 1.8.2 in my remasters of Stretch, Wheezy and Slacko 5.7 even though I found no problems with 1.8.0 and nothing urgent jumps out at me from the change log.

In all cases I am adding extra optional libraries which leads to extra plugins being built which adds extra functionality, even though I am personally not using some of these functions.

These optional libraries which (depending on the Puppy version) are sometimes missing include:-

libopus and libopusfile (for opus support which I would not want to be without)
libmpg123 (adds an alternative to libmad for mp3 playback)
libwavpack
libzip (needed if you want the vfs_zip plugin)

After running ./configure, examine the end of the output in terminal for a report on what will be built to ensure you will be getting everything you want. Personally I always --disable-pulse and --disable-notify since I am not using pulse or notification daemon.
Oscar in England

kschewe

#13 Post by kschewe »

Anyone have a 1.8x version for trusty tahr pup? I used the bionic and the slackware pets and they work but some missing files for plugins. I can take the plugins from bionic and put them in .local but not perfect. Plays all mp3 but didnt play wma etc

Maybe need these from the package manager?

taken from above post

libopus and libopusfile (for opus support which I would not want to be without)
libmpg123 (adds an alternative to libmad for mp3 playback)
libwavpack
libzip (needed if you want the vfs_zip plugin)

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

Is this 32bit or 64bit TahrPup?
I compiled DeaDBeeF 1.8.2 in 32bit TahrPup including those added optional libraries I mentioned. I can upload it if it is of any use.

TahrPup already has an older DeaDBeeF included so really you need to remove this first otherwise the older plugins remain and cause error messages. At least remove the folder (and all contents) /usr/lib/deadbeef before installing the new package.

You mentioned .wma files and in quick tests I found that these gave a Segmentation Fault (crash). This is fixed by removing wma from the list of file types which are handled by the FFMPEG plugin.
Edit>Preferences>Plugins>FFMPEG audio player>Configure
There is a separate plugin for .wma playback so I think this clashes with FFMPEG
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

#15 Post by B.K. Johnson »

OscarTalks wrote:
I compiled DeaDBeeF 1.8.2 in 32bit TahrPup including those added optional libraries I mentioned. I can upload it if it is of any use.
Please upload. TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

OK, uploaded to
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
For testing.
Please remember to remove old DeaDBeeF
or at least /usr/lib/deadbeef and contents before installing this .pet

TahrPup has a notification-daemon so notify is enabled.
Oscar in England

kschewe

#17 Post by kschewe »

Thanks i will try it out on my retro laptop tomorrow and let you know.
thanks again

Update it works with no errors on Tahr 6 32 bit kernel 3.4

I will try to see what file formats work and update. Some of the plugins in the config are grayed out. Will test soon. I will update as i find more music to test

working codecs
mp3
wma
aac
flac (decodes well on a p2)

working game music (pc not powerful enough though to decode)
nes
snes
ps1

Not working so far
Wma lossless