Bionic32-light - 27 April, 2019

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

Bionic32-light - 27 April, 2019

#1 Post by jrb »

upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso
md5sum = fc5b10a75bb5cb2d5713f9b31ab8bee5 upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso 173Mb

I had a problem with Firefox-portable when I installed it in Precise-light. I couldn't duplicate the problem in Bionic32-light but I corrected Firefox-portable and here is Update two. It was a significant enough problem that I would feel better if you got rid of upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+1.iso and used +2 instead. Thanks, J

2nd Update upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso___upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+2.iso.delta
md5sum of .delta file = 867338b4c0c803dcdd79b6d6290d56fa
md5sum of new .iso = b0f621ad943a95ce5af505e7d6d13762

Put the .delta file in the same directory as upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso. Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. You will have the new ISO. 175Mb

I had so much fun putting together Precise-light that I thought I'd have a go at something more up to date. Not as small but it is performing well on my 1Gb Acer Aspire1 and it works with all the modern browsers I have tried. :D And its supported by Ubuntu until 2023, maybe even 2028

Built with woof-CE-testing-17mar19.
Attachments
bionic32-light.jpg
(42.54 KiB) Downloaded 4006 times
Last edited by jrb on Sat 04 May 2019, 13:51, edited 10 times in total.

jrb

#2 Post by jrb »

The Big News is that update #1 has a default brower, Firefox-portable. This is fredx181's script modified to work from the Internet menu. Thanks Fred. The first time you click on Menu->Internet->Firefox-portable it will ask where you want to install. After that clicking on that menu item will start Firefox. An explanation will appear when you do the install. If you don't want it (you know you do 8) ) just close the install window. Thanks to dancytron for the suggestion.

It also now has Ghostscript to help with those printers who don't handle .pdfs and .ps without it. Thanks to davids45 for working on that. It could use more testing so if you have an older printer please try it out.

Thanks to sheldonissac, musher0, ally, davids45, Sage, dancytron for the help and encouragement.

BTW, musher0 has compiled a number of updated .pets for Bionic32-ligt. I have only used a couple because anything new needs testing before being included. I encourage you to scroll through the thread and try some or all of these .pets.

It runs all the current browsers that I have tried, mozilla based and chromium based. It has Peebee's "Get Web Browser" on the internet menu which is very cool. 8) There's even more available at his browser website https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/.

So far I have used the latest versions of Palemoon, Firefox, Seamonkey, Chromium, Slimjet and Vivaldi. Also Calibre ebook viewer and converter.

I like to place my big apps, browsers, office suites, etc on the hard-drive and run them from there. It saves a lot of ram use, which is the whole point of this OS. I won't go into detail here, but if you want more info just ask.
Last edited by jrb on Fri 03 May 2019, 11:43, edited 3 times in total.

jrb

#3 Post by jrb »

This ISO comes in at 173MB. I did that by performing some fairly radical softwarectomies, removing:
llvm
icu
ghostview
abiword
gnumeric
goffice
mesa and associated drivers
samba
and others
I had to compile an older version of libxml2 to get X working, but it boots to the desktop in all the machines I have tried. Mostly intel video but one old nvidia machine. The bad news, well if you want to play online video games, maybe not a great choice. :(

sheldonisaac

Re: Bionic32-light

#4 Post by sheldonisaac »

jrb (in part) wrote:.. I thought I'd have a go at something more up to date. Not as small but it is performing well on my 1Gb Acer Aspire1 and it works with all the modern browsers I have tried.
Thanks a lot, jrb!

I symlinked:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 27 11:58 bin -> /mnt/home/mybin/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 27 11:58 lib -> /mnt/home/mylibs/
and put the libraries that claws-mail needed
rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so -> libenchant.so.1.6.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so.1 -> libenchant.so.1.6.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50432 Nov 27 2017 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so.1.6.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libetpan.so.20 -> libetpan.so.20.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 868972 Dec 22 2017 my-applications/lib/libetpan.so.20.1.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185 Mar 17 08:14 my-applications/lib/README-my-applications-lib.txt
so claws-mail works OK.

sfs_load of Iron browser also works fine.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi jrb.

I am tempted to congratulate you, but... no ICU?

I realize the ICU library is huge. However, the acronym ICU standing for
"International Components for Unicode", may I suggest that removing it
is an "Oops". Please see here.

I have not tested your upup, but that may mean that your cut-down
"beaver" has no international capacity ( UTF-8 ), not even the variants
of the English language ( en_US, en_UK, en_NZ, etc. ). The user may be
left with only the old ISO-99* standards, which may also pose a problem
with rendering certain fonts.

Respectfully.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ally

#6 Post by ally »

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

I did a manual frugal install with this. It booted fine, but my mouse didn't work. I tabbed down in first run dialog and tried to get it to work but it didn't.

It is nothing special, just a logitech B100 standard usb wired mouse.

Anything you suggest to try?

edit:

This is from Debian Dog:
root@ChromeDog64:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic Keyboard 200
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07ca:0826 AVerMedia Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc7:0008 X10 Wireless Technology, Inc. Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hi jrb.

I downloaded and gave a test run to your upup-beaver-light.

~~~~~~~~

Regarding the removal of ICU, please read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... or_Unicode
2nd paragraph. It details the services provided by the ICU library.

It's difficult to say if it is an effect of that removal, but my usual qc
keyboard is not presented as a choice in the two lists of keyboards ( the
one at initial boot and the one in the advanced keyboard/mouse wizard ),
nor can I get it to work if I install it through a pet I made for such
situations.
Edit, an hour later:
This will seriously complicate the use of your Pup on a regular basis for
any French-Canadian using the qc keyboard. Anyway, I've been through
this numerous times with French-from-France as well as non-French
developers: it's not a "separatist" issue. AFAIK, the qc keyboard is older
than the current "normative" French-Canadian keyboard, but it is still
used by many of us.

Please see [url=ttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111821]here[/url]. Thanks.

We do not want to re-learn to type in our language when including the qc
keyboard in a distro is such an easy solution. Why is that so difficult to
understand for outsiders?

End of edit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other remarks :
-- clicking on any partition in the "Places" menu leads nowhere;
-- clicking on the spreadsheet icon in the top panel leads nowhere.
Should they be removed to avoid confusion?

-- The pmount utility has incorrect labels when one chooses the tabbed
layout. Perhaps use the previous version, which, IIRC, has correct labels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

IHTH
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 28 Apr 2019, 01:24, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

davids45

place my big apps, browsers, office suites, etc on the hd?

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,
I like to place my big apps, browsers, office suites, etc on the hard-drive and run them from there. It saves a lot of ram use, which is the whole point of this OS. I won't go into detail here, but if you want more info just ask.
"Great minds think alike, fools........." as they say :D .

I run many Pups on this computer in the same-ish way.

Wherever I can, programs, big and small, are stored on the data partition, and run in each Pup on my Frugals partitions in a sfs made of links back to these.

Just need to boot-load the sfs, instead of individually linking back to each program's bin file on the data partition. This individual-linking is still the way I do Fulls. Although I did some all-in-one pets of links but the sfs is easier to change when programs get updated (Frugals are better than Fulls as far as I can see).

I was wondering just how much can be 'back-loaded' in a Pup to keep Pups synchronised on my computer as well as keeping the savefile very small.

Before I read your above 'quote', I was just thinking of a separate thread where we 'great minds'/'fools' (delete whichever does not apply :wink: ) could list what can be linked.

For example, from /root:
cache
mozilla (for firefox and seamonkey)
most config profiles (for e.g. browsers, libreoffice) in /root/.config (see screenshot)
thumbnails
osmo
Downloads

some from /etc:
network-wizard (also frisbee could be linked if used)
sane.d (to suit just my printer/scanner)

To set up a sharable profile for a new program, once the program is running with what I want, I copy its profile to my data partition, delete it from its Pup, then symlink it back to the Pup from the data partition copy.

For a new Pup to share this profile, I just link from the data partition copy to where it needs to be in that new Pup. Any changes in the profile are now available to all Pups using this particular program.

So, if this is an appropriate distraction of your thread :oops: , could you go into a little detail of how you do your browsers, etc?

A new thread of such linkable bits in Puppy could be worth doing, but where in the Forum could it go??? Or is there already a list somewhere?

(Back on topic :shock: ) Now I'll try your Light Pup - thank you for the correct spelling, by the way .......

David S.
Attachments
links-root-config-DpupStretch75.jpg
icons with corner arrows are shared links from my data partition
(76.76 KiB) Downloaded 3790 times

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

I edited my post above.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Hi all.

I finally figured it out, looking at how DPupBuster-7.9.0.2 does it.

The regular "ca" keyboard will make the keyboard behave like the former
"qc" keyboard if one comments out the variant line in xorg.conf, like so:

Code: Select all

(...)
              Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "keyboard-all"
	MatchIsKeyboard "on"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver      "evdev"
	Option      "XkbRules" "evdev"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc105" #xkbmodel0
	Option      "XkbLayout" "ca"
	#Option      "XkbVariant" "multix" #xkbvariant0
	Option      "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" #xkboptions0
              EndSection
(...)
In other words, we choose the "ca" keyboard WITHOUT any variant. I'm
afraid editing the xorg.conf file directly is the only way to achieve this.

Final remark: in jrb's upupbb-light, the French accents cannot be typed in
this forum's editor with that configuration. Or is it because jrb's upubb-
light does not have the ICU libraries?

I'm just throwing that question out there, because I do not know enough
about the ICU libraries to answer it. That said, the same keyboard
configuration in DPupBuster allows me to type in this forum's editor
accented text, and DPupBuster has the ICU libraries.

BFN.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS. Les Canadiens, la traduction de ce topo est ici.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 28 Apr 2019, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

davids45

Light First Boot - no problems

#12 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,

Frugal made and booted, save folder created.

Added my normal in-built apps to the Desktop from /usr/share/applications.

Loaded my bionic-all-my-applications-as-links sfs and dragged their most-used icons also the Desktop.

Have not yet checked each app. runs (looking for missing libs for example) but am posting from this status now in Bionicpup32-Light.

Will try to remember to let you know where any changes are needed to get anything I've added running.

Looking very good, so far :D .

Thanks,

David S.
Attachments
bionic32light-allin1sfsloaded.jpg
In-built apps icons left side of desktop; arrowed-corner icons sfs-loaded apps in centre of desktop; drive icons moved to bottom of desktop
(71.27 KiB) Downloaded 3718 times

davids45

Added apps checked

#13 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,
Getting BionicPup32-Light set up as per my other Pups, I came across a few issues:
1) no spreadsheet in Default Applications Chooser: - fixed by adding text to /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
2) Pwidgets needed libxcb-xlib.so.0 - added to /usr/lib/
3) hardware temperature module smsc47b397 for this old computer is not being loaded by Boot manager: this is a recent BionicPup problem (not just yours): I fix this with a modprobe script in /root/Startup/ to load the module. This then makes the pmcputemp in Startup now work after its 'won't work' message on first-boot (two-birds/one-stone :wink: ).
4) Iscan and peasyscan need libtiff.so.4 to run on my networked Epson-WF2510 multifunction; fixed by making a link from the libtiff.so.5 in /usr/lib/. As peasyscan is included in BionicPup-32-Light, are other scanners working and/or also need this libtiff.so.4?
5) CUPS: neither the included pdf printer nor my added Epson worked, not able to print (screenshots of problems); don't have an answer for either failure but I for one need printing in both modes (normal BionicPups have been fine).
6) on first startup, date was right but Sydney time (Aus not Can) was a few hours fast; fixed with St date and time Menu tool
7) Dougal's Internet Wizard was connecting to my wifi modem via the USB dongle but not on a restart; BK's SNS (Simple Network Server) wizard looks OK on restarts; haven't tried any of the other internet connection wizards in BionicPup32-Light.

It's only the inability to print with CUPS on your otherwise very nice Pup-Light that is a serious problem for me. I don't have this problem with peebee's (now 'heavy'?) BionicPups :D .

Final screenshot is of my present Desktop on which everything is working :) , except CUPS :( .

David S.
Attachments
CUPS-print-pdf-fail.jpg
First of my two CUPS failures-to-print; PDF printer missing something
(60.64 KiB) Downloaded 3716 times
CUPS-fail-Epson-print.jpg
added network printer fail
(58.72 KiB) Downloaded 3709 times
bionic32light-apps-tested.jpg
Bionicpup32-Light with just about everything in place and working
(93.58 KiB) Downloaded 3734 times

nic007

Re: Added apps checked

#14 Post by nic007 »

davids45 wrote:G'day jrb,
Getting BionicPup32-Light set up as per my other Pups, I came across a few issues:
1) no spreadsheet in Default Applications Chooser: - fixed by adding text to /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
2) Pwidgets needed libxcb-xlib.so.0 - added to /usr/lib/
3) hardware temperature module smsc47b397 for this old computer is not being loaded by Boot manager: this is a recent BionicPup problem (not just yours): I fix this with a modprobe script in /root/Startup/ to load the module. This then makes the pmcputemp in Startup now work after its 'won't work' message on first-boot (two-birds/one-stone :wink: ).
4) Iscan and peasyscan need libtiff.so.4 to run on my networked Epson-WF2510 multifunction; fixed by making a link from the libtiff.so.5 in /usr/lib/. As peasyscan is included in BionicPup-32-Light, are other scanners working and/or also need this libtiff.so.4?
5) CUPS: neither the included pdf printer nor my added Epson worked, not able to print (screenshots of problems); don't have an answer for either failure but I for one need printing in both modes (normal BionicPups have been fine).
6) on first startup, date was right but Sydney time (Aus not Can) was a few hours fast; fixed with St date and time Menu tool
7) Dougal's Internet Wizard was connecting to my wifi modem via the USB dongle but not on a restart; BK's SNS (Simple Network Server) wizard looks OK on restarts; haven't tried any of the other internet connection wizards in BionicPup32-Light.

It's only the inability to print with CUPS on your otherwise very nice Pup-Light that is a serious problem for me. I don't have this problem with peebee's (now 'heavy'?) BionicPups :D .

Final screenshot is of my present Desktop on which everything is working :) , except CUPS :( .

David S.
I see you like many partitions. :D

jrb

Re: Bionic32-light

#15 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:
jrb (in part) wrote:.. I thought I'd have a go at something more up to date. Not as small but it is performing well on my 1Gb Acer Aspire1 and it works with all the modern browsers I have tried.
Thanks a lot, jrb!

I symlinked:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 27 11:58 bin -> /mnt/home/mybin/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 27 11:58 lib -> /mnt/home/mylibs/
and put the libraries that claws-mail needed
rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so -> libenchant.so.1.6.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so.1 -> libenchant.so.1.6.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50432 Nov 27 2017 my-applications/lib/libenchant.so.1.6.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr 27 11:46 my-applications/lib/libetpan.so.20 -> libetpan.so.20.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 868972 Dec 22 2017 my-applications/lib/libetpan.so.20.1.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185 Mar 17 08:14 my-applications/lib/README-my-applications-lib.txt
so claws-mail works OK.

sfs_load of Iron browser also works fine.
You're very welcome sheldonisaac. Good job with the symlinks, thats pretty much the same thing that I do.

What specs on the machine(s) you're running this on?

jrb

#16 Post by jrb »

musher0 wrote:Hi jrb.

I am tempted to congratulate you, but... no ICU?

I realize the ICU library is huge. However, the acronym ICU standing for
"International Components for Unicode"
My apologies musher. I thought it was NSA spyware, "I see you". :wink: Seriously I had only seen it referred to as a "database" to be used by various apps.

I'm attaching the ICU files that I left out, icu-60.2.pet Install this .pet, reinstall libxml2 with PPM, reboot, and let me know what difference it makes. I'm wondering if there are some slimming possibilities here, but being barely monolingual myself I'll leave it up to you to do some testing.

Interestingly I see many broken symlinks in /usr/lib that point towards icu libs. I thought woofce was supposed to clean these out but in this case I'm glad it didn't.

Cheers, J
Last edited by jrb on Wed 01 May 2019, 01:57, edited 2 times in total.

jrb

#17 Post by jrb »

dancytron wrote:I did a manual frugal install with this. It booted fine, but my mouse didn't work. I tabbed down in first run dialog and tried to get it to work but it didn't.

It is nothing special, just a logitech B100 standard usb wired mouse.

Anything you suggest to try?

edit:

This is from Debian Dog:
root@ChromeDog64:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic Keyboard 200
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07ca:0826 AVerMedia Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc7:0008 X10 Wireless Technology, Inc. Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
I'm going to suggest starting with a "brute force" attack. Here is xorg_base_new-upup19.03.pet containing all the files I left out, plus some that I left in. Most of them I'm sure have nothing to do with this problem, but if it does fix it then we can start figuring out exactly what is needed. If it doesn't then we can look elsewhere.

Install this .pet, reboot and see if that fixes your mouse.

Good Luck, J

jrb

#18 Post by jrb »

Thanks ally, you do great work! I have downloaded old pups on occasion from your archives (once even one of my own) and appreciated them greatly.

Well done, J

jrb

#19 Post by jrb »

musher0 wrote:Hi jrb.

I downloaded and gave a test run to your upup-beaver-light.

~~~~~~~~

Regarding the removal of ICU, please read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... or_Unicode
2nd paragraph. It details the services provided by the ICU library.

It's difficult to say if it is an effect of that removal, but my usual qc
keyboard is not presented as a choice in the two lists of keyboards ( the
one at initial boot and the one in the advanced keyboard/mouse wizard ),
nor can I get it to work if I install it through a pet I made for such
situations.
Edit, an hour later:
This will seriously complicate the use of your Pup on a regular basis for
any French-Canadian using the qc keyboard. Anyway, I've been through
this numerous times with French-from-France as well as non-French
developers: it's not a "separatist" issue. AFAIK, the qc keyboard is older
than the current "normative" French-Canadian keyboard, but it is still
used by many of us.

Please see [url=ttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111821]here[/url]. Thanks.

We do not want to re-learn to type in our language when including the qc
keyboard in a distro is such an easy solution. Why is that so difficult to
understand for outsiders?

End of edit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other remarks :
-- clicking on any partition in the "Places" menu leads nowhere;
-- clicking on the spreadsheet icon in the top panel leads nowhere.
Should they be removed to avoid confusion?

-- The pmount utility has incorrect labels when one chooses the tabbed
layout. Perhaps use the previous version, which, IIRC, has correct labels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

IHTH
Thanks for testing musher. See post above about ICU.

I booted Peebee's upup32-19.03 and looked for a "qc" keyboard, didn't see it. Can you check that?

When I click on a partition (drive) on the "Places" menu it mounts and opens that partition in rox. Do your partitions open from the desktop drive icons?

The "Spreadsheet" icon should open a little yellow gxmessage saying "no spreadsheet installed". This will disappear once a spreadsheet with a /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet is installed. I use spreadsheets quite a bit and click that icon regularly.

My pmount seems to be labeled correctly, can you attach a screenshot of what yours is doing?

Thanks, J

jrb

Re: place my big apps, browsers, office suites, etc on the hd?

#20 Post by jrb »

davids45 wrote:"Great minds think alike, fools........." as they say :D .

I run many Pups on this computer in the same-ish way.

Wherever I can, programs, big and small, are stored on the data partition, and run in each Pup on my Frugals partitions in a sfs made of links back to these.

A new thread of such linkable bits in Puppy could be worth doing, but where in the Forum could it go??? Or is there already a list somewhere?

(Back on topic :shock: ) Now I'll try your Light Pup - thank you for the correct spelling, by the way .......

David S.
Hi David, thanks for testing.

Great minds/fools? I know what my wife would say.

I do essentially the same thing you do with an sfs, but mine is a bit wierd and I really should have explained it in a thread some time ago. Being a man of few (typed) words, however, I have been hesitant. After the initial birth trauma of Bionic32-light maybe I will tackle it. Attaching screenshot of some of the things I run from hard-drive and share among-st various puppies.
Attachments
0_common.jpg
files, configs and apps on harddrive shared between puppies
(82.56 KiB) Downloaded 747 times