Why can't Firefox playback half of YT videos?

Using applications, configuring, problems
OscarTalks

#41 Post by OscarTalks »

nubc wrote: I am fed up with Palemoon.
That was why, having installed libavcodec-extra-54_9.20, I took the time to test Firefox 66.0.3 as well. That is what you said you were using and in my test it worked.
Oscar in England

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

nubc wrote:I had Palemoon 25 and 27 on my computer. It boots as PM 25. It fails to update. I uninstalled it, but both versions still show as installed in PPM. I tried reinstalling PM 27, now it (any PM) fails to start. I am fed up with Palemoon. It has never worked. Maybe if I had a virgin tahrpup, I could get a response, I don't want to waste time on it. I don't like its custom extensions, anyway.

DPup Stretch (legacy) cannot boot this computer, a P4. Boot terminates in kernel dump.

@nic007
I've still got a Precise 571 iso. What version of FF can it do?
Don't know. I'm using Seamonkey 2.48.

a_salty_dogg

#43 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@ nubc

Boot up a "virgin" copy of Precise 5.71. You can do this either by booting from a CD in RAM mode or, if you haven't got a CD drive, by simply opening up your "menu.lst" file in geany & appending

Code: Select all

pfix=ram
to the second line (the one beginning with "kernel /Precise_5.71/vmlinuz...") of your "Precise 5.71" entry, then save, close, unmount the partition if necessary, and reboot using that entry.

Then download the latest Palemoon 32bit release, 28.4.1, from here (you will need a recent browser!), and extract all the contents of the downloaded tar.bz2 to "/opt".
If you also want to set up a menu entry, follow the instructions here.

Next open up your newly installed Palemoon and type "about:config" (note and include the colon, though without the quotation marks!) in the browser bar, accept the "I'll be careful" warning, and search for the string named

media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete;false
Double click on that line to change the "false" to "true".

Then close the tab and the browser.

Now restart Palemoon and see if your "Allegro (moderato)" video plays,

Note you could have equally performed all the above processes in a pristine install of Tahr 6.05 if you wished.

EDIT - @OscarTalks & nic007, sorry for belatedly butting in here; took me a fair while to set up and test all that in both Precise and Tahr, then type it all out! You both answered him while I was busy "fettling" it :oops:

nubc

#44 Post by nubc »

How about I unistall PM 25/27 with PPM in my current Tahrpup 605 system, then delete the PM directory in /opt, then install PM 28.4.1 as you recommend above. This PM directory contains at least three files with exclamation marks on them.

Semme

#45 Post by Semme »

Hey Salty, I'll throw my wrench in -- NOT! Just kidding, Mate. :D:wink: Carry on...
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

s243a

#46 Post by s243a »

nubc wrote:How about I unistall PM 25/27 with PPM in my current Tahrpup 605 system, then delete the PM directory in /opt, then install PM 28.4.1 as you recommend above. This PM directory contains at least three files with exclamation marks on them.
I'm guessing these are either broken symbolic links or you need to clean your file system using the e2fsck. As a warning if the pysical media is damaged you can lose data. I recomend you prepare a backup system just in case (e.g. a fresh install of tahrpup onto a cd, usb or hard drive).

nubc

#47 Post by nubc »

I just installed PM 28.4.1 per Salty's instructions, after removing the PM 27 package, since it wasn't uninstalling, and deleting the old directory in /opt. Now I can play the Louise di Tullio track. But now I remember why I don't like PM. I can't use my virtual keyboard, because it won't type an URL. You know, like some passwords cannot be entered with the virtual keyboard. That's what I thought, but after some delay, it may have worked in this newer version. Yep, there's a delay, but the virtual keyboard eventually works in the address field, which was a problem before.

Now, what and where is the download extension? Oh, looks like I already have ABL and the PM downloader installed. The YT player does not respond to controls as expected. The Pause/Play toggle button is inoperable in PM. Normally, if I click the screen of the player it will pause and play. In PaleMoon, the spacebar pauses/plays the video.

Wow, that is a clutsy downloader. Gonna take me a day to wade through it.

Ha, out of the blue, that video now plays in Firefox Quantum 66.0.3. Problem solved, fingers crossed. Obviously, I have gremlins in my computer.

tallboy

#48 Post by tallboy »

For the first time ever, between the Youtube videos I was watching in PM 28.3.0, I got a pop-up window asking me what I thought about the Youtube performance. I chose the middle answer: As expected! :lol:
But it may indicate that some of the complaints have been heard, maybe there is an upgrade coming!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

s243a

#49 Post by s243a »

a_salty_dogg wrote:@ nubc

Boot up a "virgin" copy of Precise 5.71. You can do this either by booting from a CD in RAM mode or, if you haven't got a CD drive, by simply opening up your "menu.lst" file in geany & appending

pfix=ram
to the second line (the one beginning with "kernel /Precise_5.71/vmlinuz...") of your "Precise 5.71" entry, then save, close, unmount the partition if necessary, and reboot using that entry.

Then download the latest Palemoon 32bit release, 28.4.1, from here (you will need a recent browser!), and extract all the contents of the downloaded tar.bz2 to "/opt".

Next open up your newly installed Palemoon and type "about:config" (note and include the colon, though without the quotation marks!) in the browser bar, accept the "I'll be careful" warning, and search for the string named

Note you could have equally performed all the above processes in a pristine install of Tahr 6.05 if you wished.

EDIT - @OscarTalks & nic007, sorry for belatedly butting in here; took me a fair while to set up and test all that in both Precise and Tahr, then type it all out! You both answered him while I was busy "fettling" it :oops:
I gave that a try on the TazPup64 that I'm working on and it works. I wonder what the downsides of doing this are vs installing a newer version of libavcodec(-extra?). Note that if I do your suggested tweek the browser still dosen't support H.264. However, a video that I couldn't previous play now plays. I wonder if it is the case that if you select this option than youtube knows not to send you H.264 type videos.

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

I think s243a has hit the nail on the head. In my estimation, with all the installations/uninstallations you've been doing, I would hazard a guess that you've got broken sym-links all over the place.

Personally, I've always found that it's no good just blindly relying on the PPM to put things back exactly as they were before. No package manager, anywhere in the entire Linux eco-system, is that good. Sometimes, you simply have to do a manual 'follow-up', and check that things are how you want them; if necessary, on occasion you'll need to re-make symlinks correctly.

(Believe me. Windows makes as many, if not more cock-ups than Linux does.....but MyCrudSoft are very good at hiding this kind of thing away out of sight, so you don't see it.)

In all honesty, it wouldn't hurt to start from scratch, and set up a new install of Tahrpup. But, before you do, write down somewhere exactly what it is you need installed in the way of packages, drawing on your own experiences over time; that way, you'll get everything cleanly installed from the word go.

(It might be worth using Tahr 606 instead of 605; not only was the UEFI-boot capability added, but there were quite a number of changes incorporated from the Woof-CE build-system at that time. The old Tahrpup PPM 'out of space' problem was fixed, for one thing.)

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#51 Post by nic007 »

pfix=ram

Nice tip about the configuration setting, worked for me in Palemoon27 running Tahr. Thanks

nic007

#52 Post by nic007 »

pfix=ram

Nice tip about the configuration setting, worked for me in Palemoon27. Thanks. Pity it doesn't work for older Palemoon, but that's a youtube exclusion so no way around there except for streaming from a mp4 download link.

s243a

#53 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:

pfix=ram

Nice tip about the configuration setting, worked for me in Palemoon27. Thanks. Pity it doesn't work for older Palemoon, but that's a youtube exclusion so no way around there except for streaming from a mp4 download link.
I came accorss a video where this about:config tweak doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrJx8xso4o

so while the tweak seems to help in most cases an upgraded libavcodec-extra seems to still be required to play all youtube videos.

nic007

#54 Post by nic007 »

s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote:

pfix=ram

so while the tweak seems to help in most cases an upgraded libavcodec-extra seems to still be required to play all youtube videos.
That link works for me and I don't have the extra codecs. My libavcodec includes the extra stuff perhaps.

nubc

#55 Post by nubc »

Everything seems to be working. Does anybody understand this well enough to turn it into a procedure? Or just explain what happened to make the videos play?

nic007

#56 Post by nic007 »

nubc wrote:Everything seems to be working. Does anybody understand this well enough to turn it into a procedure? Or just explain what happened to make the videos play?
Don't quite know what happens but I did notice that when this setting is not enabled the video statistics show that VP9 codec is in use. With the setting enabled it shows avc(odec) in use. Audio stream is also shown as mp4a. I wonder if it's streaming in mp4 format instead?

s243a

#57 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:
s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote: Nice tip about the configuration setting, worked for me in Palemoon27. Thanks. Pity it doesn't work for older Palemoon, but that's a youtube exclusion so no way around there except for streaming from a mp4 download link.

That link works for me and I don't have the extra codecs. My libavcodec includes the extra stuff perhaps.
Strangely it's working again for me now :o

nubc

#58 Post by nubc »

I tried to boot tahr 6.0.6 k 1.30 uefi on CD, but my P4 computer can't recognize it as a boot device.

Semme

#59 Post by Semme »

Redundant, so, post withdrawn.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#60 Post by nubc »

Youtube videos now give two error screens as it sorts through available codecs. Finally, the video plays on the third try.