Is software needed to burn multisession disk - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

Is software needed to burn multisession disk - SOLVED

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I am finding that when I burn an .iso file to disk that everything appears on the surface to work. The disk is confirmed as being verified as OK and I am given the option of burning more. So far so good I thought.

When I close the system using shutdown and either rebooting or power off whilst the disk is in the drive I am not offered a save option. It looks very much like an automatic save to puppy_save.

Should Burn2CD offer me the multisession save or has it to be supported by some other software. When I questioned the manufacturer of my DVD burner they advised that they did not support Linux and suggested Nero Linux as a suitable software.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Ian
Last edited by Scoticus on Thu 08 Mar 2007, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

kjs

#2 Post by kjs »

Ian,

on boot Puppy scans all hard drives for the save file. If it finds one it uses it unless you specify during boot not to do so.
Once it has found one it uses it and won't ask you on shut-down.

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Boy Scoticus, you're sure having a time getting multisession to work :?

Just for my own curiosity, is this a CD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RW you're burning? (As far as I know, any of them should work. They have all worked for me, but that's been quite a while ago in dog years. :lol: )

I haven't burnt a multisession DVD in a few weeks so I may be having a senior moment when I say I'm pretty sure that if you burn the multisession disk correctly, that is to say with burniso2cd, then boot the multisession disk you just burned, it should offer you the choice to save to the disk the first time you shut it down.

If you boot a non-multisession Puppy CD, burn a multisession disk with burniso2cd, then shut down, I don't think it will offer to save to the multisession disk it just burned. Is that what you tried?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Scoticus

Is additional software needed to burn multisession disk

#4 Post by Scoticus »

Flash

You have been doing your best for me and I am coming to the conclusion that I an a jinx. I have used the full shopping list but if I can recall only once being offered to burn a multisession disk.

My last attempt was using a DVD+RW and once again I was able to use burn2cd and it immediately went through the sequence of checking the disk, copying the info over and finishing the disk.

If I have followed your information right I should then reboot the system using the DVD+RW that was just used and during part of that process I should be offered the choice of saving to disk. This is where things seem to go wrong as I am not asked to save but it appears that an automatic puppy-save file is made.

Once again I will use another disk and re-try booting anew. I think that I shall totally delete the puppy-save file (even if it means doing everything over again) and see what develops.

Will advise further

Many thanks for you patience

Kind regards

Ian

Scoticus

Is additional software needed to burn multisession disk

#5 Post by Scoticus »

Sucess at last.

Am now using multisession disk again and again.

Posting how I got there on the multisession section of the forum.

Ian