Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 06:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Portable Browser Installer
Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2019, 10:54    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Not trying to take the thread over, honest! I just happened to know of a method for doing what tlchost asked about, 'cos I've used it for a while myself, very successfully. So, I replied (at length....) Laughing

Mike. Wink

Cool No problem Mike, I was about to refer tlchost to you as the expert. You were too quick for me.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2019, 11:39    Post subject:  

@ jrb:-

Crikey; I don't know as I'd call myself the 'expert' on this, mate. Be that as it may, I've been playing around with multiple profiles in these 'portables' for 2 or 3 months so far. I think I'm kinda getting the hang of it, ATM.

No getting away from one thing, though. Profiles (even newly created ones!) take up a fair bit of space. Running multiple profiles, you very definitely need space to store them, in addition to a method for calling whichever one you want. I'm leaning towards the idea of a single MenuEntry for each app, calling a small YAD-powered GUI with buttons to start it with whichever profile you want to utilise for the day/session.

Like this:-

What d'you think? (I might even build an 'all-in-one', a single MenuEntry for all the Mozilla-based apps on my system, with a combined GUI for everything. I just haven't made up my mind quite how I'm going to approach it yet.)

I use the '--no-buttons' option (which does away with the 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons), along with the '--close-on-unfocus' option. This latter command ensures that as soon as the browser/whatever opens, the selector dialog box auto-closes by itself. Which is neat, but it does require an up-to-date version of YAD, since this option came in, so I believe, with 0.38.0.

Smokey01's YAD guide has proven invaluable over the last 18 months or so. It's quite an eye-opener as to just what's possible with it.

Mike. Wink

jrb

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2019, 21:48    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ jrb:-

Crikey; I don't know as I'd call myself the 'expert' on this, mate. Be that as it may, I've been playing around with multiple profiles in these 'portables' for 2 or 3 months so far. I think I'm kinda getting the hang of it, ATM.

No getting away from one thing, though. Profiles (even newly created ones!) take up a fair bit of space. Running multiple profiles, you very definitely need space to store them, in addition to a method for calling whichever one you want. I'm leaning towards the idea of a single MenuEntry for each app, calling a small YAD-powered GUI with buttons to start it with whichever profile you want to utilise for the day/session.

Like this:-

What d'you think? (I might even build an 'all-in-one', a single MenuEntry for all the Mozilla-based apps on my system, with a combined GUI for everything. I just haven't made up my mind quite how I'm going to approach it yet.)

I use the '--no-buttons' option (which does away with the 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons), along with the '--close-on-unfocus' option. This latter command ensures that as soon as the browser/whatever opens, the selector dialog box auto-closes by itself. Which is neat, but it does require an up-to-date version of YAD, since this option came in, so I believe, with 0.38.0.

Smokey01's YAD guide has proven invaluable over the last 18 months or so. It's quite an eye-opener as to just what's possible with it.

Mike. Wink

I'm afraid I haven't used multiple profiles in anything that I can think of. Everyone in my house has their own machine (mostly out of the tip).

I think if I premade a certain number of profile directories for each app, ie: profile1, profile2, profile3 and then built a yad dialog, as you suggest, into the launch script it would be doable with my skill-set (being optimistic here). Hopefully that would meet user's needs?

As for the all in one MenuEntry, it would work for you, but I think it might be confusing for anyone else using your machine. I think I'll keep mine to a menu-entry for each app. (KISS)

BTW, I copied the yad dialog I used in PortaBrowse from your Palemoon-portable. I had never used yad before. Thanks

Cheers, J
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2019, 05:44    Post subject:  

Morning, jrb.

See, this illustrates the primary difference between thee and me. I've just been having a look through some of the scripts in the PortaBrowse installer.

I'm good at doing the visual stuff; pretty GUIs, and all that malarkey. I've never been so good with the code.....though I'm learning as time goes by.

I can put together some really neat-looking GUIs.....but I need somebody like you (and others like you) to help out with the backend. GUIs are no good unless they DO something! Laughing

(BTW, I agree with ya. Definitely K.I.S.S..! It's why I'm such a proponent of AppImages, self-extracting scripts, 'portables', and the like. The easier we can make it for newcomers to the kennels to get things up-and-running, the better as far as I'm concerned.)

jrb wrote:
BTW, I copied the yad dialog I used in PortaBrowse from your Palemoon-portable. I had never used yad before. Thanks

No worries. I think we all tend to borrow bits'n'pieces from each other. If it does the job, I don't think any 'established' Puppians are going to complain!

We help each other out. That's the idea of a community.

Mike. Wink

kuman11

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 03:37    Post subject:  

jrb & Mike,

I installed the portable & F/f portable on my ext HD and d/l the YAD in /root. I see the entries in the Int menu though it couldn't run the portable F/f when I clicked on it. I started it when I clicked the script in the unzipped F/f folder.
I also copied the the YAD to the HD cause I run Slacko_5.7.2_CE in ram so I have it handy for the next restart of Puppy.

What can be wrong?
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 05:50    Post subject: Re: Portable Browser Installer
Subject description: The latest Firefox, Palemoon and/or Seamonkey installed to your drive.

jrb wrote:
The installs are now truly portable in that the profiles are contained in the portable directories and will be maintained from Puppy to Puppy.

Browsers are a common weak point attack vector for crackers. A potential common cracked browser that is persistent (across reboots) being shared across multiple/different boots isn't good practice. Better to run with a clean rebooted version, as good as factory fresh upon initially being started/loaded - which generally means having it stored within 'Puppy space'.

wiak

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 07:26    Post subject: Re: Portable Browser Installer
Subject description: The latest Firefox, Palemoon and/or Seamonkey installed to your drive.

rufwoof wrote:
jrb wrote:
The installs are now truly portable in that the profiles are contained in the portable directories and will be maintained from Puppy to Puppy.

Browsers are a common weak point attack vector for crackers. A potential common cracked browser that is persistent (across reboots) being shared across multiple/different boots isn't good practice. Better to run with a clean rebooted version, as good as factory fresh upon initially being started/loaded - which generally means having it stored within 'Puppy space'.

If you have, say, four different often used distributions, each with their own browser, that means four browsers you have to be careful with in terms of security and corruption. If you share one external browser between all four distros at least you only have to worry about that one browser. You coul make it a read-only install with configs/caches etc going to RAM and has advantage can be updated browser rather than old one provided by distro. But, yes, the 'portable' browsers generally discussed are read/write since saving their configs/caches in portable install folder.

wiak

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
jrb

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 09:17    Post subject: Re: Portable Browser Installer

rufwoof wrote:
jrb wrote:

I agree, but how many Puppy users are willing to give up the ability to Bookmark, to set their own homepage, to install extensions, to make and save any changes they want?

A profile saved in "Puppy space" is no more secure than one saved on the harddrive unless it is fixed and loaded to ram "fresh" every time. This is in fact how I run my browsers, but it means that anytime I want to make changes to it I have to start fresh, immediately make my changes, shutdown the browser, extract my custom sfs, replace the old profile with the new one. Resquash the sfs and reboot. For this reason I don't use bookmarks, I email links to myself. For the ones I use all the time I have built my own homepage.html with my 40 favourite links.

Puppy is supposed to be easy for newbies. Portable Browser Installer is supposed to be easy for newbies. With that ease comes some risk. Such is life.

My 2 cents (Canadian, although we don't have pennies or nickels anymore)

Cheers, J

@wlak - good point about reducing risk by sharing profiles between Puppies. Maybe a howto on backing up a clean profile and restoring would be a good idea.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 20:56    Post subject:  

@ jrb/wiak/all:-

'Common' profiles have been a fact of life for me for around 4 years, now.

It's a simple proposition with the 'portable'-browsers (a term I will continue to use, despite B.K.Johnson's anguished objections!) - sermon begins here, linked from here Rolling Eyes - given that with these, the whole thing (browser, profile & everything else) is in one-self-contained package. And thus easy to move around, of course.

Prior to this, I adapted a process which davids45 had been using for some time; the creation of a remote data partition, with an entire Linux file-system replicated within it, items I wished to share between Puppies located in their relevant locations, and everything sym-linked across to their counterpart in each Pup. Given that I run 3 or 4 different browsers in each of around 8-10 Pups at any point in time.....somewhere in the region of 6-7 GB in total.

I'm not short on resources; plenty of RAM, loads of internal and external storage, etc.....but that's a worthwhile space-saving exercise, and makes maintenance a hell of a lot easier into the bargain. Plus, it has to be more secure.....there's only one of everything to worry about.

Mike. Wink

kuman11

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 19:07    Post subject:  

Mike,

Have u seen my question?
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 23:32    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
jrb & Mike,

I installed the portable & F/f portable on my ext HD and d/l the YAD in /root. I see the entries in the Int menu though it couldn't run the portable F/f when I clicked on it. I started it when I clicked the script in the unzipped F/f folder.
I also copied the the YAD to the HD cause I run Slacko_5.7.2_CE in ram so I have it handy for the next restart of Puppy.

What can be wrong?

Sorry for taking so long to answer kuman11, Embarassed guess I got distracted by the other posts.

The yad-0.40.3-i686_common32.pet that you downloaded to root is a .pet file. This means you have to click on it once to install it in Puppy, just downloading it is not enough. Once you have done that the internet menu entries should work.

BTW, PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.4.pet will download and install the yad .pet but PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.3.pet will only download it.
kuman11

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2019, 02:09    Post subject:  

jrb,

I d/l the YAD in /root then installed it by clicking on it. Then I run PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.3.pet & it placed the entries in the Int menu. Then I wasn't able to run ff from this menu entry. That's the problem.

My architecture is older so 0.4.pet didn't work.
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2019, 08:55    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
jrb,

I d/l the YAD in /root then installed it by clicking on it. Then I run PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.3.pet & it placed the entries in the Int menu. Then I wasn't able to run ff from this menu entry. That's the problem.

My architecture is older so 0.4.pet didn't work.

Open a terminal and type:
Code:
ffportable_launch
and let me know what happens and what is printed in the terminal.
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019, 02:15    Post subject:  

jrb, I got this:

# ffportable_launch
grep: option requires an argument -- 'e'
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

firefox_66.0.5_32 cannot be found. Do you wish to reinstall? y/n

then:
y
/usr/local/bin/ffportable_launch: line 16: /usr/local/bin/ffportable-inst: No such file or directory

Though It's on the HD:

/mnt/sda1/firefox_66.0.5_32
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019, 08:25    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
jrb, I got this:

# ffportable_launch
grep: option requires an argument -- 'e'
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

firefox_66.0.5_32 cannot be found. Do you wish to reinstall? y/n

then:
y
/usr/local/bin/ffportable_launch: line 16: /usr/local/bin/ffportable-inst: No such file or directory

Though It's on the HD:

/mnt/sda1/firefox_66.0.5_32

I'm not sure what's happened in your system kuman11 but I think you should open up PPM (PuppyPackageManager) from the "Install" icon on the desktop and choose "Uninstall". Click on PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.3, and "Remove Package". If 0.4 is there then remove that too. Also remove /usr/local/bin/ffUUID. Once these are gone you can reinstall the .pet and then reinstall firefox.

You mention that your architecture is older. That should make no difference between versions 0.3 and 0.4. If your architecture is really old then Firefox should not run on your machine at all, only PalemoonSSE. I suggest you install 0.4 and then setup Firefox. When you do you will find that Firefox has a new version, firefox_67.0_32, which will be installed.

Good Luck, J
PPM-uninstall.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   42.05 KB
 Viewed   67 Time(s)

PPM-uninstall.jpg

Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: