Lobster
Official Crustacean

Use MToolsFM to create, zip and decompress, .tar files

#1 Post by Lobster »

File Managers / MToolsFM
Use ctrl and mouse click to select files
and then utility and style of zip

tar is a good one for uploading files to this forum

This may seem obvious but trying to do this from the command line and Tkzip all of a sudden found this . . . Ah Puppy is there no end to your tricks . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster that is a novel idea and a great tip! One of these days I'm going to try and learn GUI applications. :)

The other day I tried to make a .iso file of a directory structure from various GUI apps and couldn't figure out how to do it.

So I had to do it from the command line which takes about 5 seconds to do.

Suppose you could figure out how to do it from the GUI? You probably think I'm joking but I'm not. Seriously, I couldn't figure it out.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Whatever it takes . . .
:)

G2 also lives on the command line. I live in the GUI
Creating a tar or zip was just ludicrously awkward - (the above method is fool proof - I tested it myelf - on me - I could do it)

Once files are zipped you can store or send them (I needed to be able to upload to this forum in tar format - one of the accepted file types)

I believe in generic Operating Systems. Who cares what it is as long as it works the way I expect.

Some OS just do it. Puppy wizards gave loads of info on what is being done and why. I prefer that. Not everybody needs to know why and what but the choice is nice . . .

tar tar (or ta ta)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster, thank you very much. I fear that my sincerity didn't communicate well, which is my fault.

I most sincerely wanted to make an .iso file of a directory. To me this is something that I thought any CD burning GUI would offer. I poked around for several minutes and couldn't figure out how to do it with gcombust or ripperX.

After your reply, I poked around some more. It seems that TkDVD DVD Writer has this option. Due to the fact that I don't have a DVD, I didn't look into this program my first time around. Maybe I answered my own question.

It appears to me at first glance that TkDVD DVD Writer might be able to be used to make an ISO FS even if you don't have a DVD burner.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

More thoughts and change of subject:

When I want to reduce chances of having a messed up burn or if I want to burn the same cd repeatedly or sometime in the future, my preference is to make it a two step procedure.

1) create the .iso fs

2) burn cd from the .iso

Things are more prone to mess up when burning straight from the file system to CD, although it is faster and more convienent, you can run into buffer underruns easier. The read heads have to sometimes move all around disk to find the files, this is especially troublesome when you have lots of little files.

The faster your hd, the more powerful your processor and the slower the less chance of problems. I don't have respectably fast hd or processor, so my insurance is to burn slow. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B wrote: I most sincerely wanted to make an .iso file of a directory. To me this is something that I thought any CD burning GUI would offer. I poked around for several minutes and couldn't figure out how to do it with gcombust or ripperX.
Gcombust does it very easily:

1. Click on the "Data files" tab
2. Uncheck (untick) the "Follow syml" checkbox.
3. Click "Add directory" button, then choose a directory, click "OK" then "Cancel".
4. Click "Burn" tab.
5. Select "Data files, no image" radiobutton.
6. Choose burn speed, uncheck "Dummy test run", click "Detect SCSI drive", click "Check SCSI settings".
7. Finally click "Combust" button.

#7 Post by Guest »

:lol: How did you ever figure that out? It puts me in mind of the recipe for making green olives.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

BarryK wrote:
Bruce B wrote: I most sincerely wanted to make an .iso file of a directory. To me this is something that I thought any CD burning GUI would offer. I poked around for several minutes and couldn't figure out how to do it with gcombust or ripperX.
Gcombust does it very easily:

1. Click on the "Data files" tab
2. Uncheck (untick) the "Follow syml" checkbox.
3. Click "Add directory" button, then choose a directory, click "OK" then "Cancel".
4. Click "Burn" tab.
5. Select "Data files, no image" radiobutton.
6. Choose burn speed, uncheck "Dummy test run", click "Detect SCSI drive", click "Check SCSI settings".
7. Finally click "Combust" button.
That is more or less what I tried to do. It didn't work. It wants me to insert a disk in the burner.

My objective is to make an .iso file of a directory. Not burn a cd disk.

Note in the 7 steps there was no mention of telling gcombust the name and location of the .iso file I want to make.

That's why I did in on the command line, because I couldn't figure how to do it with the GUI.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

I've still not figured out how to write a data .ISO with gcombust. But that is not the point of my post. Although it would like some help in this area.

After Lobster made the parent post, I've discovered more about the usefullness of MToolsFM. For one thing, It is an ideal GUI utility for file management of DOS formatted image files.

The image file may be an floppy image or a hard disk image file.

It is not intituitve how to configure it to work with image files. These links will get you started.

http://mtools.linux.lu/mtools_toc.html

http://mtools.linux.lu/mtools.html#SEC18