Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fredx181

#141 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks jrb !
I will test within the next days and get back about it.

Fred

jrb

Nasty flaw

#142 Post by jrb »

Please see the warning message above. If you have installed firefox_portable-0.6.pet, please uninstall it and install firefox_portable-0.7.pet.

Thanks for testing, J

fredx181

#143 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jrb, finally tried your package (sorry for the delay).
On itself the installing worked fine for me e.g. choice of drive and firefox-portable does run from menu entry, but... no sound, and also it's not using the "profile" folder as profile.
I think because of this line in /usr/local/bin/ffportable_launch :

Code: Select all

/mnt/$DRVNM/$FFDIR/firefox "$@"
Changing to this (run ff script) fixes it:

/mnt/$DRVNM/$FFDIR/ff "$@"
Fred

jrb

#144 Post by jrb »

fredx181 wrote:Hi jrb, finally tried your package (sorry for the delay).
On itself the installing worked fine for me e.g. choice of drive and firefox-portable does run from menu entry, but... no sound, and also it's not using the "profile" folder as profile.
I think because of this line in /usr/local/bin/ffportable_launch :

/mnt/$DRVNM/$FFDIR/firefox "$@"
Changing to this (run ff script) fixes it:

/mnt/$DRVNM/$FFDIR/ff "$@"
Fred
Thanks Fred, Good catch. Shows poor testing on my part :oops:

I have just incorporated this into Portable Browser Installer which will download and install the latest Firefox, Palemoon, and/or Seamonkey. All inspired by your script.

Thanks again, J

Note: only a 32bit version so far.

fredx181

#145 Post by fredx181 »

Updated 2019-05-31
See here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1025219
And first post.

Not really sure, but I think that this change will have effect on jrb's Portable Browser Installer
(url links to 32bit-additions and 64bit-additions has been changed)

Fred

B.K. Johnson

#146 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Automatic updates! Ha!
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

fredx181

#147 Post by fredx181 »

-- deleted --

backi

#148 Post by backi »

Very handy..... that`s Cool !!!

kuman11

#149 Post by kuman11 »

'ffportable-inst.gz
Description Updated 2019-05-31, Remove fake .gz extension and make executable
gz

Download
Filename ffportable-inst.gz
Filesize 1.85 KB
Downloaded 3 Time(s) '

fred,
Could this be started from jrb's menu entry or the ff script only?

fredx181

#150 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:Could this be started from jrb's menu entry or the ff script only?
Not from jrb's menu entry, I think (jrb made modified/extended version of this) but if you run ffportable-inst you get a "firefox_67.0_32" folder (32 bit) or "firefox_67.0_64" (64 bit) and yes, from inside you can run the "ff" script.

EDIT: See EDIT and attachment here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66#1029566 for a fixed version of the modified ffportable-inst included in jrb's PortaBrowser pet.

Fred

watchdog

New profile handling

#151 Post by watchdog »

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/21/firef ... formation/
New Firefox installations will use a dedicated profile automatically starting with the release of Firefox 67. Firefox used existing profiles previously by default which led to two issues:

Profiles were shared between different Firefox installations, e.g. Nightly and Stable, which could lead to conflicts.
You could not run multiple Firefox installations side by side by default.

Firefox supports options to run multiple profiles side-by-side and the new release does not take these away. It makes things easier for users of the browser who install different versions of Firefox on a single device.
I'm not a user of the scripting in this thread: I untar firefox in /mnt/home and manually symlink the profile in /mnt/home. Starting with firefox 67.0 I cannot symlink the profile (it's ineffective). Sync is required. What's new for this thread? Is still possible a portable firefox with dedicated profile?

fredx181

Re: New profile handling

#152 Post by fredx181 »

watchdog wrote:https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/21/firef ... formation/
New Firefox installations will use a dedicated profile automatically starting with the release of Firefox 67. Firefox used existing profiles previously by default which led to two issues:

Profiles were shared between different Firefox installations, e.g. Nightly and Stable, which could lead to conflicts.
You could not run multiple Firefox installations side by side by default.

Firefox supports options to run multiple profiles side-by-side and the new release does not take these away. It makes things easier for users of the browser who install different versions of Firefox on a single device.
I'm not a user of the scripting in this thread: I untar firefox in /mnt/home and manually symlink the profile in /mnt/home. Starting with firefox 67.0 I cannot symlink the profile (it's ineffective). Sync is required. What's new for this thread? Is still possible a portable firefox with dedicated profile?
Not sure I understand well, can you give example what you do exactly that previously worked but now is ineffective ?
I'm running 67.0, works fine with dedicated profile, e.g.

-profile /path/to/profile
even if profile is a symlink.

Fred

watchdog

#153 Post by watchdog »

If I copy an old .mozilla profile placed in /mnt/home to /root or symlink it, then firefox 67.0 does not use it but starts with a new void profile requesting a sync operation and registration to use the old preferences.

Mike Walsh

#154 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm running 67.0, works fine with dedicated profile, e.g.

-profile /path/to/profile
even if profile is a symlink.
Me, too.

I'm just running Fred's Firefox-portable, as I have been for months. It upgraded to 67.0, and carried on as if nothing had happened. Mind you, I guess it is of course using a 'dedicated' profile anyway, so.....

I share one 'firefox32' directory' between multiple Puppies......and one 'profile' directory between both 32- and 64-bit versions of the same browser. Seems to work fine.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 24 Mar 2020, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.

watchdog

#155 Post by watchdog »

Okay! I have found the way to use an old profile with firefox 67.0.

/mnt/home/firefox_32/firefox -profile /root/.mozilla/firefox/xxxyyyzzz.default
"/mnt/home/firefox_32/firefox -profile /root/.mozilla " does not work: you have to write the right inside profile. But I remember that when I have gone through syncing I was advised that some extensions were not usable in firefox 67.0 and there were suggestions to update them. Forcing the profile can break firefox if you do not use sync.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(46.09 KiB) Downloaded 537 times

fredx181

#156 Post by fredx181 »

Ah, good, I could reproduce now what you got by copying old .mozilla profile to /root, btw.
Fortunately with "-profile /path/to/profile" it works so the 'portable' setup should be still OK.
Sigh... all those changes everytime... :?

Fred

Mike Walsh

#157 Post by Mike Walsh »

New Firefox ESR packages - FF 68.0.1esr-portable

Hi, Fred/all:-

Right then, boys & girls. It's ESR upgrade time.

Here are the new ESR portable packages based on FF68esr - currently 68.0.1.

32- and 64-bit are available. If you're currently on FF60esr-portable, you can carry straight on with your existing profile by simply copying the 'profile' directory across, and starting from the 'ff' script as usual.

The 'new profile' bug doesn't appear to have hit the ESR releases.......yet. Or, at least, not when you do it this way.

Available from my Google Drive:-

32-bit:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fW0VU2 ... sp=sharing

64-bit:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJ_ftg ... sp=sharing

Same procedure as usual. Unzip, move the 'firefox32' or 'firefox64' directory wherever you want it. Copy across the 'profile' directory if it applies to you. Start by clicking on the 'ff' script, which you can drag to the desktop and tart up with a suitable icon.

Enjoy!

retry3

FF Quantum portable - install problems - I am lost

#158 Post by retry3 »

Hey Fred and all -

I am running Tahr605 64 bit on frugal install, live disk, for a couple of years now.

Old Lenovo desktop.

I am old and slow with very elemental computer skills

Only Pale Moon is installed (until I started this FF Quantum effort) and it is the only browser that appears in the Internet Menu.

I downloaded the file that is in the first post to the root directory.

It had the .gz extension that Fred refers to as "fake" and says to get rid of it.

I tried to delete the .gz by renaming the file, but the only thing that got deleted was the "." (dot) so I messed up somehow.

I right clicked on it to see it's properties and checked the executable box because Fred also said to make the file executable, and this is the only way I know of doing that.

I tried to open the file, and wound up in archive or someplace where it says to select the files and extract. I selected all.

Root directory now has FF files that I am unsure of what to do with. I tried opening them but wind up in archives and wrappers that I don't fully understand.

I will try to attach screen shots of the root directory so maybe someone can advise me in elemental terms, or tell me what other information is needed.

Regards,
retry3
Attachments
RootFFfiles.png
(38.26 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

Mike Walsh

#159 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, retry.

Gawd, but your '/root' directory looks a mess! Let's see if we can sort this out for you....it's really pretty simple to do.

First things first. Get rid of all those Firefox odds & ends in 'root'. Hold down the 'Ctrl' button, then select each Firefox item in turn - from the picture, you'll end up with 5 items in total. When they're all selected, release the 'Ctrl' button, rt-ck any one of them, and select 'Delete'. Confirm it with the ROX confirmation box that pops-up. Hit 'Quiet' - this deletes all items, without asking you to confirm after every single one.

If all goes well, you should have got rid of all the Firefox items in /root.

---------------------------------------------

Now, then. You'll probably find what I'm going to suggest a bit easier. Fred and the others have now switched to selectable, all-in-one download/install/ add menu entry 'installer' tools, which I feel can be a little bit confusing for somebody with limited computer abilities.....and when you get older, as you're no doubt aware, it's not so easy to absorb new information as it once was!

I don't do this kind of thing for everyone, but I appreciate your situation because I look after my elderly Mum full-time, and know how she is starting to find things hard to take in, where once she was as sharp as a tack... I'm going to put together a 'special' one-click 'portable' package for you, but I want an answer to one single question., please.

- Do you want the current version of 'normal' Firefox Quantum (which will regularly update itself, but may break things as time goes by and Mozilla keep changing the way things work)? Or would you prefer the current, ESR version (I've just released Puppy packages for this one) - the Extended Support Release - which will keep working for quite some time to come, and receives regular security updates from Mozilla (but nothing else)?

Let me know which you'd prefer, and I'll knock it together for you. Oh, BTW; refresh my memory, please. Do you use a save-file.......or not?

[Edit:- One more thing.....and I think this might be the easiest way for you to run one of these 'portable' browsers. Have you got access to, or can you get hold of, a small USB flash drive? If yes, we'll put the 'portable' browser on the flash drive.....and then you just plug the drive in when you want to use the browser. (Or leave it plugged-in, and just run it from there permanently.....)

Your decision. We'll try & make this as fool-proof as possible. But running from Live CD with a save on the hard drive isn't the easiest way of doing this.

kuman11

#160 Post by kuman11 »

Mike Walsh,

can u take a look at jrb's thread?