Creating a SAMBA share in BionicPup64 8.0

Booting, installing, newbie
dawama

Creating a SAMBA share in BionicPup64 8.0

#1 Post by dawama »

I have been trying to create a Samba share in BionicPup64 8.0 but so far have had no luck at all. Information on shared folders is mostly 7-10 years old. Among others, I tried following the guide by gcmartic on the Puppy Discussion Forum (Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA) but got hung up on the "smbd restart" instruction which gives the error message "undefined symbol: FAMNoExists". A clearly-written 2015 guide by Naught McNoon (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... mba-share/) leads to the same problem.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, dawama.....and https://i.postimg.cc/N049cvKX/welcome.gif to the 'kennels'.

One question. Are you looking to share between Puppy and Windows, or Puppy and another Linux box? It could dictate what's most suitable, y'see.

For sharing in the traditional way, I wouldn't use 'full' SAMBA. That's a complete PITA to set-up and use correctly. The best 'version' of SAMBA you can use for Puppy, IMHO, is a lightweight fork of it, called Samba-TNG. See here for details:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

Everything you need to know is in that thread.

--------------------------------------

For just general file-sharing, you could do far worse than to take a look at Dukto, a cross-platform file-sharing app that uses the *nix ftp standard; File Transfer Protocol. Take a look at my thread on it, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113738

-------------------------------------

In all honesty, the best place to post about this will be on the Bionicpup64 thread.....which you can find here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

Regular users & testers of this Puppy will be better placed to give you a more informed solution than I can; I was running it, but due to rationalisation, it was discarded in favour of Xenialpup64, which works perfectly for me the way I have it set up ATM.

Too many Pups, you see. Summat had to give, somewhere.....and not all of us always use the very newest versions of Pup, by a LONG chalk.....

Mike. :wink:

dawama

#3 Post by dawama »

Hi Mike..

Thanks for your very helpful reply. It is really appreciated.

I went to the Samba-TNG discussion you suggested and it is indeed informative. Unfortunately it was written in 2010 and leads me to another dead end. I installed the samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet successfully but when I entered the samba-start command I got an error and the repeated message "/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libcups.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64".

As you suggested, I should probably go to the Bionicpup64 thread to see if anyone has experience with this specific issue.

I have been a user of Linux Mint for a number of years and have only now gone over to Puppy. It runs wonderfully on my older computers and I am determined to stay with it. It would probably be easier to run from one end of my house to the other with a memory stick than do battle with samba, but it's the principle of the thing.
Dave

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Doesn't that version have YASS installed? That's kind of a standard on puppies.

All my puppies have a link in the home directory that you click to set up file sharing. This is in RAM mode, too, btw ..

Geek3579

#5 Post by Geek3579 »

Thanks jafadmin for that tip. I will try it on a fresh instance of puppy.

I had issues with samba, ssh and all sorts if connectivity projects until I edited the following two files in the. /etc. folder

hosts. deny. Remove all text
hosts.allow. Edit. To. ALL: LOCAL
SSH: ALL

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ dawama:-

Dave:- That's quite simple to fix. It's because rcrsn51 only ever built the Samba-TNG packages for 32-bit architecture; 'Wrong ELF class' simply means the 'wrong' architecture.

I'm using that same set of packages (the Samba-TNG package, and the auto-start .pet) in Xenialpup64 7.5, and it works fine.

If you're coming from Mint, you're no doubt used to the 'multi-arch' stuff that the 'buntu-based distros employ. Pup's equivalent to this is to use a separate SFS package, called the '32-bit_compat_libs' package. This provides the necessary 32-bit compatibility libs'n'stuff, and the necessary framework to use them, for use in a 64-bit Puppy. There's an awful lot of very good Puppy packages that were only ever built for 32-bit hardware; 64-bit Puppies are still relatively new, having only been around for about 5 years or so.

So; 'workaround'. You'll need the '32-bit_compat_libs' SFS package. Get it from here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cpup64.sfs

That's a direct link to the Bionicpup64 repos.

When you've downloaded it, move it into /mnt/home, alongside all the other Puppy system files. Left-click to 'load' it; just follow the instructions. Now; this next bit is important. Once that's loaded, and before you do anything else, open a terminal, and enter

Code: Select all

ldconfig
(That's a small 'L', BTW; not a '1'.) Wait for the prompt ('#') to return; this may take a few seconds, 'cos Pup is setting up all the necessary sym-links, etc., to make everything work correctly. Once the prompt returns, you can close the terminal.

At this stage, a re-boot wouldn't hurt, because this will write those changes into your save-file/folder, and make them permanent.

Once you've re-booted into Bionicpup, you can now install Samba-TNG, and proceed to set it up. Okay? Any problems, we're always here.

----------------------------------------

Actually, before you do any of the above, Bionicpup may already have this stuff installed; jafadmin is right.....look under Menu->Network. You should see a bunch of 'YASSM' stuff.....short for 'Yet Another Samba Share Mounter'.

However, the 32-bit compatibility SFS is always useful to have loaded; it's not hurting anything if it is.

See how you get on with it.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Loading sfs packages is a feature of a frugal install.
Do you have Bionicpup64 8.0 installed as a frugal install?

Bionicpup64 8.0 has the program Quickpet (icon on desktop to run it)
Quickpet>Useful has the 32bit compatibility sfs.
If you get it from Quickpet it will download, install, load, and do ldconfig automatically.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dawama

#8 Post by dawama »

OK. After downloading and installing the 32bit compatability sfs from quickpet I was able to enter samba-start without errors.

According to the next step the server should be pupserver, and the share name pupshare. The share should be at /mnt/home. There was no directory at /mnt/home called pupshare, so I made one and put a text file into it.

I went to a client computer and ran YASSM share search and it found pupshare@PUPSERVER which showed a directory called pupshare@my_computer's_IP_address. That did not contain my text file.

Sorry to be so obtuse about this, but I seem to be on the cusp of the thing but not quite there. Should samba-tng have created a directory called pupshare? If so, where is it? YASSM on the client computer seems to have found something but it isn't the one I pasted a file to.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Dave:-

Nah, that's an easy enough mistake to make. Samba-TNG is very much more simplified than standard SAMBA.....

Slight misconception here, methinks. Where the config file tells you 'pupshare' is at /mnt/home, what that means is that the whole of /mnt/home IS the 'share'. With me?

You don't need a separate directory called 'pupshare'.

I generally set my 'share' to be at "/", because that way it gives me access to absolutely everything on the system.....even remote file-systems, and attached external storage devices.

Just put your text-file into /mnt/home (or wherever you decide to set the share's location), and you should find it. If you make any changes to the config file, don't forget that you need to re-start Samba-TNG.

samba-stop
....[Enter], followed by

samba-start
....and [Enter].

Let us know if that works for ya.

dawama

#10 Post by dawama »

Same issue. YASSM on the client computer finds pupshare@PUPSERVER and when selected gives the option to mount the share. When I mount that and click "show" it opens a directory ~/YASSM containing the directory pupshare@IPAddress. That directory is empty.

The IP address for the server is correct, so YASSM on the client does appear to have made a connection. But no directories or files are there.

Could there be a problem in /etc/samba/samba,conf? [pupshare] has the path = /mnt/home, which seems ok for now.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll let you take a butchers at my smb.conf. This is for Samba-TNG:-

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = pupgroup
netbios name = PC-Server
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = user
;map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[pupshare]
path = /
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
force user = root

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
You may need the 'guest ok = yes' and 'force user = root' options to be added. 'Guest OK = yes', from what I recall, means a guest user doesn't need a password; 'force user = root', I believe, lets it work correctly with Pup's root-user model. As you know, most Linux distros don't like you doing that! Try it out, see what happens; if you still don't get any joy, we'll take it from there and do some brain-storming.....OK?

(Don't worry about the 'netbios name'; I've changed that to suit myself. 'pupserver' is fine for all practical purposes.)

----------------

Oh, one last thing; nearly forgot. Are you using YASSM to connect with? In YASSM, after you've selected the share you want to use, you need to add

sec=ntlm
.....to the options box, followed by ticking the 'Set' checkbox. Like this:-

Don't ask me what that actually means; it's something to do with a special set of options known only to Samba-TNG. All I know is that without that magic formula entered in the options box, your share will not connect at all.

(Password is the default Puppy password, which is 'woofwoof'.)

dawama

#12 Post by dawama »

Mike..

This frustrating! YASSM on my laptop just returns an empty directory. With the path in the config file set to / as you have it, what should I expect to see, a list of directories and files?

I added that obscure little code in the options box in the YASSM form, but still no luck.

Dave

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hmm-m. Curiouser & curiouser. That shouldn't be happening.....unless....

Let's have a gander at your smb.conf file, please. I want to have a look, see what it looks like at the moment (if I may)....

-----------------------

Just had a thought. May be something, may be nothing... What version of PeasyPort does Bionicpup64 use? (Samba-TNG employs this to check for open ports, make sure it can get through before attempting to connect.)

Go into Menu->Network, click on 'Peasyport LAN scanner', and let me know what version, please. As long as it's v2.1 (or higher), you're OK.

The other, most obvious thing that springs to mind (and I should've thought of this one to start with :oops: ) is the firewall. If you're running with the default firewall set-up, it will, of course, be blocking the necessary ports..... (d'oh!!!)

Locate the little green shield in the notification area, right-hand side of the tray (think Windows sys-tray, if you like). Right-clk->Firewall Setup.

This'll open up the Firewall set-up window. Set things as in the image below:-

[Click to enlarge]

Make sure to 'Apply', then 'Cancel'. Try things again. If that doesn't do the trick, we'll have to apply 'em manually.

Let us know what happens, please.

dawama

#14 Post by dawama »

Mike..

Still nothing.

Peasyport LAN Scanner is v2.3. OK I guess.

I have been doing all this with the firewall turned off. As you suggested, I turned it on and enabled samba.

My samba config file was changed to conform with the one you sent.

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = pupgroup
netbios name = PC-Server
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = user
;map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[pupshare]
path = /
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
force user = root

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

Dave

dawama

#15 Post by dawama »

Mike..

Some success!

I tried mounting the share on another computer with wired connection to our network. It worked.

Then I went back to my wireless laptop and got the message "Could NOT mount pupshare on 192.168.1.130! Does the share exist? Does it need authentication?"

Back to the wired computer; it didn't work. Then on another try it did. Wireless still doesn't work.

This looks like a problem with our network, not with samba who seems to be doing her best. Is authentication an issue here?

Dave

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm-hm... Yup, that does sound as though your network's a wee bit 'flaky', doesn't it? (*sheesh...*)

Out of curiosity, what wireless adapter is in use, here? Built-in? Plug-in (USB, PCMCIA, etc...)?

Most of my hardware's pretty elderly. I'm a full-time carer, living with & looking after Mama. My main rig is 2004/5 vintage, an elderly Compaq desktop, situated in my bedroom. Mama's house-bound, spends a lot of her time in her recliner in the front room, which is where our even older Dell Inspiron lappie lives - an original 1100 from 2002/3, one of the very first with not only a P4, but also USB 2.0 (wooooo.....!!! :D ) I use this of an evening, when I keep her company. The wireless adapter on that is a period PCMCIA card, which was bought to fit the available slot (and keep the 2 USB ports free).

The Compaq uses Ethernet, and both communicate through a distinctly run-of-the-mill ISP-supplied router. There's nowt special about it, yet connections are one thing, luckily, I've never had trouble with. Configuration mis-matches a-plenty in the early days, till I myself figured out how Samba worked.....but connection problems? Never.

I'd investigate the router and/or connections on that box with the wired connection. I've had connectors work loose on me before now, and if you've got mice or other beasties roaming the house; and the cable goes through spots you can't easily access, well.....it don't take the little buggers long to chew through cable insulation and the like. I've had that happen as well, before now..!

As to the wireless side of things, hmm; I assume you're getting an internet connection through it, yes? Might need to investigate the router settings, too; I recall needing to titivate with ours before Samba would fully behave itself. In fact, under the 'Network' tab, sub-section 'Sharing', ours actually has a checkbox that needs ticking to permit Samba operation, otherwise the router's built-in firewall just blocks it.

Stuff like that, y'know? Easily overlooked, and not always that easy to find without some 'digging'.