Puppy-1.0.4 with XFree 4.5.0 & madwifi (wireless drivers

News, happenings
stromberg

#21 Post by stromberg »

Where is the "Xfbdev Video Wizard"; can't find it in the menue.

#22 Post by Guest »

There is none........

This is a different implementation of X than Barry's....He uses the small kdrive server where as this version uses a cut down full install of XFree......read this thread from the beginning.

The wizzards will not work for this version.

Note to self........later release remove video wizzard entries

pakt

#23 Post by pakt »

bladehunter, I finally got your new puppy104-nfs iso and have been playing with it for a while now. Many thanks for the work you've put into it. No problem booting on my i810 Dell laptop and xf86config started up exactly as you said it would.

I'd forgotten what a pain xf86config is, but at least it works - up to a point: It doesn't support any usb devices. I could make a working XF86Config on the laptop with the mousepad working (apparently PS/2 compatible) but not with an external usb mouse (or keyboard).

I did get everything working using a Kanotix generated XF86Config. That gave me an idea. I've been examining the Kanotix hardware detection files (actually slightly modified Knoppix files). These consist of a couple of binaries, a lib file, some scripts, an XF86Config template and a hw database. Altogether adding up to under 1MB.

I copied the files over to Puppy and found that the binaries work. I've almost managed to auto-generate a complete XF86Config that works using the scripts. Just need to figure out how the keyboard/mouse probe works. Some directories are different and the scripts need to be modified for that. The probe has no problem finding the i810 hw and putting it in XF86Config.

I hope to get this code working to replace the archaic xf86config. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

#24 Post by Guest »

I can't recall if there was any usb references in the input directory..were the keyboard and mouse drivers are....I'll check for you

richlv

#25 Post by richlv »

well, i finally got to trying out puppy-xfree this weekend. runs just fine with 40mb of ram (though i did not compare memory usage with original puppy. maybe will do that later).

a couple of problems i noticed :

1. on a startup, xfree86config is run - but for some reason no config file is written (at least in xfree86 log it complains that no config file could be found);

2. directory /var/lib/xkb is missing. xkb compiled directory is linked to this, and no other keyboard layout can be actived if there is nowhere to put the compiled one. once this directory is created, everything is fine. finally i was able to input latvian characters in pyppylinux ;)

#26 Post by Guest »

A couple of points

Regards to point 1...xf86config is run and is the script used to generate a XF86Config file and at the end of the script it does ask the user if they want to write the file

Regards to point 2...I fixed that in the version I did with NFS......I created the directories in the iamge file in var rather than var0 but has been fixed

richlv

#27 Post by richlv »

1. that's the problem, i confirmed config file creation, but xfree still complained about missing config file (and there were no files in /etc/X11)

2. nice to know, thanks :)

#28 Post by Guest »

mmmmm That's interesting....I tested the whole thing many many times...(tho missed the symlink) and has always written the file for me.....Haven't heard anyone else complain about that either

Whilst running xf86config if you switch over to another term what does df report ?

mgs

#29 Post by mgs »

Trying to get Puppy to give me 1024 x 768 at decent refesh rate on i810 system. Downloaded this Puppy version but got no pause, no chance to type yes and puppy booted up just as before with 800 x 600 at lousy refresh rate the best on offer. Am I doing something wrong - I'm a newbie to Linux but think what I have seen of Puppy so far is great.

#30 Post by Guest »

You sure you downloaded the correct version from www.edgarbrits.net and not from any of the sites on the puppy download page ?

Did you have an existing pup001 file ?

I can state that from a first time boot X will start as there is no XF86Config file.

There is code that even tests for the existence of that file and if it's not there it starts the config program.

anyhow

Once the gui starts press ctrl-alt-backspace

this brings you to a console

type

xf86config

and answer the questions

at the end type yes to save

then type

xwin

mgs

#31 Post by mgs »

Hi again. Thanks for the simple guidelines. As far as I know I downloaded my first attempt from the link http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/XFree-1 ... -puppy.iso

I have now tried http://www.edgarbrits.net and chose the 1.03 version with framebuffer support this fails without booting puppy at all.

How can I check if I have indeed got the XFree-1.04 version, when Puppy loads? Is this the one I need?

Maybe some details of the system I'm trying to use Puppy with might help. It's a Saintsong Espresso mini computer with 128Mb, processor is a Via at 900MHz using i810 graphics. I can successfully run Puppy at 800 x 600 with flickery refresh rate (65Hz I think) sound works OK and USB memory stick is recognised. I'd be happy if I could get 1024 x 768 at 75 or 85Hz which I know the computer and monitor can do as I have Windoze 98 on it at present. (Connecting Puppy to the internet with this is possibly a challenge to far at present as there is only a USB interface no ethernet socket. But let's take one thing at a time!!)

keenerd

#32 Post by keenerd »

I really like the latest atheros/fb build. For once, my laptop works the way it should. So I took the final step and tried to do an option 2 upgrade to my existing 1.0.4. Starting X now gives me a very interesting error. "Too many levels of symbolic links." It doesn't matter if I use xwin or startx. Both do it.

I couldn't find anything relivant in the forums. Even google wasn't too useful, aside from 'delete some symlinks'.

I can still boot from CD, so I might just back up everything and reinstall.
(Joy.)

keenerd

#33 Post by keenerd »

This just keeps on getting more interesting.

I wiped my partition, and did a fresh option 2 install of Bladehunter's iso. Now it boots fine, but I can't access my card. 'iwlist scan' now gives "Failed to read scan data: Resource temporarily unavailable"

Does anyone know what this means?

keenerd

#34 Post by keenerd »

Sorry, false alarm. It was a seemingly unrelated bios option.

For thinkpad 600E users: the atheros kernel doesn't work if you have quick boot disabled. I had disabled it because Peppyy said the audio works better that way.

#35 Post by Guest »

when you says fails to boot....Do you just get a command prompt ?

Try typing xwin if that is the case

mgs

#36 Post by mgs »

Hi Bladehunter

Puppy framebuffer version fails to boot giving error messages roughly as follows -

XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: unable to open socket for inst6
XSERVTransOpen : transport open failed for inst6/puppypc:0
XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners : failed to open listener for inst 6 Error opening/devfb0: no such file or directory
Fatal server error

There is more which I will transcribe if it helps (I'm having to read from one screen and copy manually)

typing xwin simply repeats the error messages

#37 Post by Guest »

Your booting with the wrong option....As I can't remember how I numbered the options you'll have to look at the isolinux.cfg file and have a look at the options.....

Actually I found this from the readme.txt
Boot options as per normal puppy
but add 5 for frambuffer

ie Option 6 is option 1 with framebuffer

But in all seriousness I wouldn't bother with that version.....

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/NFS-1.0.4/cd-puppy.iso

This version has support for the i810 chipset, you just need to answer a few questions regarding your setup[/quote]

Germanpup

success notice P3 600 MHz laptop

#38 Post by Germanpup »

thank you very much bladehunter. I'm successfully running your version on my 2 laptops (sony p3 w/ neomagic and ibm thinkpad with atheros). this with John's perl ndiswrapper and wifi packages are ideal setups for notebooks ...
www.weiss-lampertheim.de
built and maintained with Puppy!

ChiJoan

This Puppy wouldn't finish be written?

#39 Post by ChiJoan »

I use Roxio to burn ISO images. This is the first time it ever stalled at 20% on write. Perhaps Roxio doesn't write Linux multi-write images? Just guessing that may be the problem though.

Guess I'll be patient for Puppy 1.05.

#40 Post by Guest »

The iso's were created using Barry's makeiso scripts.....so in that way mine images are no different in format