.dvd to .iso. How? (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
mini-jaguar

.dvd to .iso. How? (solved)

#1 Post by mini-jaguar »

I made a movie and saved it in ,dvd format.

Problem is that I want to burn it to DVD video (not data). I cannot find a single program that will burn my .dvd file to DVD, or at least one that will convert it to .iso so I can burn it to a DVD.
Last edited by mini-jaguar on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Unfortunately

#2 Post by mikeslr »

See the following, https://filesext.com/dvd-dos-device-driver which I interpret to mean that a file created to employ the .dvd format can only be opened running Windows.

Note from that post: "More .DVD File Extension Information
Files ending with ".DVD" are not DVD movies -- see .VOB instead."

How was the file created, specifically? What application? under what operating system? Did it create a "Work directory"? and do you still have it?

mini-jaguar

Re: Unfortunately

#3 Post by mini-jaguar »

mikeslr wrote:How was the file created, specifically? What application? under what operating system? Did it create a "Work directory"? and do you still have it?
It was done with OpenShot in Puppy. I don't think there is a work directory that I know of.

I guess I could export to a different format, but I was trying not to lose quality.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

perhaps open the file with OpenShot and export the video to another format and experiment if the loss of quality is substantial?
Last edited by rockedge on Wed 26 Jun 2019, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Maybe VLC media player can do what you want.

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

does not Xenial have some dvd ripper tools that will burn a dvd file as a playable dvd?

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi,

Searched further and discovered "A DVD Disk Image contains the raw data from a DVD" which is obviously incomplete as you created one using Openshot-- and that "ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 can burn file extension .DVD files" which being on the same short post indicates it was referring to a file ending in ".dvd" and not a DVD disk to be played via dvd-player.

As rockedge suggested, openshot can use ".dvd" files to create files in other formats. I just took a short mp4 file, imported it into Openshot, selected DVD under profile, exported it -creating a .dvd-- imported that .dvd, selected "All Formats" under Profile, MP4 (mpeg4) under Target and created a MP4 video.

So all is not lost. Although the general rule --Murphy's Law, entropy-- suggests there will be some degradation, I didn't notice any.

I'm uncertain under any Puppy what applications can create movie dvds for use with DVD-players.

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again mini-jaguar,

I asked you which operating system. You replied "Puppy". That narrowed it down to about 5,000 as of a month ago. :lol:

I did a google-search for DVD burning applications. Three Linux applications showed up of which, from experience, xfburn probably had the least dependencies and consequently was most likely to be easiest to obtain in a functional condition. I usually post from Xenialpup64. So being on that operating system I ran Puppy Packagemanager with xfburn as its target. xfburn and dependencies installed and opened. Neither Menu>Setup>Check dependencies nor Menu>Utilities ListDD reported anything missing. Menu>Multimedia>xfburn, although it lacked an icon, opened to a notice informing me that it couldn't find burning hardware. Well, I knew that; so it wasn't mistaken. It continued, opening to a GUI which, if I had a DVD burner, probably would have enabled the creation of a DVD playable on a DVD Player I also don't have.

There's a good chance that xfburn can be installed into whatever Puppy you are running. If not, my search also revealed that Imgburn and one other free Windows program (whose name has already vanished into my flaky memory) runs well under Wine.

I may be mistaken. But I think that of the tools built for Puppies only Pdvdrsab can burn DVDs for use with DVD-Players. See this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69652; then go here for the pet, noting its dependencies. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 713#172713, If Pdvdrsab was built into your Puppy, than it's likely those dependencies were also included.

Nope. I may have been mistaken. Examining Xenialpup64's Multimedia applications, I see that Peasydisk's Left-most panel, labeled "Movie" also seems to have components which may relate to creating DVDs for DVD Players. See this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 673#701673 for the pet (if needed) and hopefully instructions which may enable you directly, or indirectly, to get from a ".dvd" file to files in a format Peasydisk can use to create your DVD; perhaps by an intermediate conversion using ffmpeg.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just to add my two-penn'orth to the mix:-

I attempted this quite some time ago, for a mate of mine. I used pBurn, and the process entailed the creation of .vob files.....which are the only way to burn a DVD that is playable in a DVD player.

The only other Linux application I know of that will do this as a part of its normal operation is NeroAG.....but I don't have a clue where you'd find a package for it, I'm afraid. As t'other Mike says, ImgBurn, the freeware version of NeroAG, will run tolerably well under WINE. But only if it 'll condescend to detect your optical drive(s). It won't detect mine.

I believe norgo may have built a working Linux package of NeroAG. Perhaps, if you dropped him a PM, and asked him very, very nicely, it's entirely possible he might let you have a copy of it. No guarantees, though.....but if it's the same package I used years ago under XP, it'll definitely do what you want. Unfortunately, however, from what I understand, many of Nero's packages that used to be free will now cost you to obtain. More & more software authors are nowadays going down this route, and a lot of formerly free packages now have to be purchased.

Aside from that, I'd take rockedge's suggestion under advisement, and re-export, using Openshot, to an alternative format. I'd suggest .mp4 or .mpeg.....the latter, especially, being very commonly used over on 'the dark side'. This can then be converted to .vob files, using pBurn, then run through pBurn a second time to actually create a usable DVD. Make sure you have the very latest version of pBurn, 4.3.19, available from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

I'm sorry to have to say that the creation of 'playable' DVDs is a bit of a long-winded process in Linux.....and .vob files, in particular, seem to take forever to generate. Sod's law, I'm afraid!

Mike. :wink:

mini-jaguar

#10 Post by mini-jaguar »

Mike Walsh wrote:Aside from that, I'd take rockedge's suggestion under advisement, and re-export, using Openshot, to an alternative format. I'd suggest .mp4 or .mpeg.....the latter, especially, being very commonly used over on 'the dark side'. This can then be converted to .vob files, using pBurn, then run through pBurn a second time to actually create a usable DVD. Make sure you have the very latest version of pBurn, 4.3.19, available from here:-
Well, I had the idea to simply click on the properties to see what's in the .dvd file.

Turns out it's simply .mpeg after all. So I change the extension, I watch the video with no loss of quality.

Same thing if I change the extension to .mp4.

So, I burn it to DVD using Pburn, I did both the ,mpeg and ,mp4, two different DVDs. The quality is reduced a lot, looks really bad. And Pburn would not accept the ,dvd file except as data (which does not reduce in quality at all). Although the file format is no longer the problem as there is no reduction if I watch it before burning, but Pburn itself.

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

mini-jaguar wrote:... So I change the extension, I watch the video with no loss of quality.

Same thing if I change the extension to .mp4.

So, I burn it to DVD using Pburn, I did both the ,mpeg and ,mp4, two different DVDs. The quality is reduced a lot, looks really bad...the problem as there is no reduction if I watch it before burning, but Pburn itself.
Maybe not. Short cuts have their own hazards.

Video files have three components: (1) the data, (2) instructions on how to manage the data; and (3) a container*.

If all that was necessary to change from one format to another was to edit a file's suffix, no one would have spent time developing conversion applications; and users would not devote computer time running conversion applications. Conversion applications do more than just change names. They remove instructions pertinent to the source and add instructions pertinent to the format being created.

The difference between .dvd and .mp4 or .mpeg may be more than just semantic. These endings indicate which container is used and in practice those containers may be identical or almost identical. Each, however, may have its own formatting instructions that applications utilize to manage the data. .dvd, .mp4 and .mpeg instructions may be similar, but not identical.

The application --whichever that may have been, we can not read your mind-- you used to display the renamed files utilized the unchanged instructions*. But pburn to properly convert a .mp4 or .mpeg file to a .vob file may require a proper .mp4 or mpeg file; that is one containing proper mp4 or mpeg instructions.

You still have not told us which Puppy you are using. See Mike Walsh's or my previous posts regarding conversion of formats to VOB and alternatives to pburn.

----
* Names are for the benefit of humans. Computers read the code (instructions) contained within the file. From experience, I know that you can change the ending of any video file (or delete it entirely) and Puppy's default video viewer will still open and play the file. It is reading and applying the code the file contains.

mini-jaguar

#12 Post by mini-jaguar »

mikeslr wrote:You still have not told us which Puppy you are using.
I use more than one Puppy. Would you like my IP address? Credit card numbers? Browsing history?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

This is the Puppy Linux discussion forum. There are many versions of Puppy, meaning it's a lot easier for us to help you if you'll tell us which version of Puppy you used to watch the movie.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mini-jaguar:-

To clarify the position with regard to pBurn, re: burning 'playable' DVDs.

As I stated, you need an up -to-date release of pBurn. It's currently @ 4 3.19, though it was 4.3.16 when I performed this 'operation' a year or so back. The important thing is that the required feature has only been added by Zigbert in recent releases:-

[Click to enlarge]

.....and that is, the ability to 'author' to the VideoDVD filesystem, as highlighted in the 'Tools' drop-down menu above. This is why you have to run your data through pBurn twice; once to create the requisite data files for pBurn to work with, so that it can create the correct type of DVD you want.....and a second time, to actually 'burn' that DVD, using the .vob files you've initially created in the first pass.

Trust me, it does work, and it makes a pretty good job of it. But the advice to re-export to a suitable format in the first place still stands. Personally, I find Openshot is the easiest to use.

I would go with:-

Target - MP4 (mpeg4). This gives you the MP4 'container', with the mpeg4 video codec.

Profile - I guess you'll want 'DV/DVD Widescreen NTSC' (that'll give you 16:9 ratio for US TV).....yes?

Quality - Medium is fine for most purposes; 'High' just creates a much bigger file, for no noticeable increase in picture quality.

Audio is automatically set as MP3.

And 'Export' to a suitable file-name, in a suitable location. It's advisable to re-export/create the .vob files (video_ts filesystem) outside of the save-file/folder.....these things will grow enormous, very, very quickly. Mine usually go to a dedicated 'WORK' directory on a large, external USB 3.0 desktop drive.

---------------------------------

So, to re-cap:-

1) Re-export first, to a suitable container/codec/audio codec.

2) Run through pBurn once, to create your VideoDVD filesystem ( video_ts/.vob files).

3) Run the results of step 2 through pBurn again, this time to actually burn your DVD disc.

This will work, but you need patience for this kind of operation; even over on the 'dark side', it's not a fast process. Hope that gives you some pointers.

---------------------------------------

P.S:- Why is telling us which Pup you use such a problem? Is it a state secret? :lol: I mean, you've been a Forum member for a lot longer than me; I would think you must be aware of just how many Pups there are.....and that info for one doesn't necessarily apply to another, so when i'm asking advice/help for stuff I usually mention which Puppies I'm yakking on about..! We're not there looking over your shoulder, and I don't think we have any experts with a crystal ball amongst us, either, y'know?

We can't help you unless you help us.

I run 9 of 'em currently, and I'm well aware that stuff doesn't always work with every single one of them, not by a long chalk..... :)

That's just a fact of life running Pups.

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#15 Post by mikeslr »

mini-jaguar wrote:
mikeslr wrote:You still have not told us which Puppy you are using.
I use more than one Puppy. Would you like my IP address? Credit card numbers? Browsing history?
You can send your IP address, Credit card numbers and Browsing history to http://phishers.com. I don't think they care which Puppy you use. They're not interested in helping you. But then, neither am I any further after providing this link, https://www.amazon.com/Archie-McPhee-Ti ... B07CXZBRW5

norgo

#16 Post by norgo »

@mini-jaguar
Attachments
create_video_dvd.mkv.tar
how to create dvd structure

remove tar fake extension !
(215.52 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

mini-jaguar

#17 Post by mini-jaguar »

Sorry for making this topic. It was the most useless thing possible.

Completely useless to list the 15-20 Puppies I use.
Even more useless to list what Puppy I viewed it in, as it was clearly lower quality as a DVD than watching the file.

Turns out Pburn actually has a tool for making .iso files, which is what I asked for in the first place. Did the job, and I used some other program (I don't remember the name) to burn the .iso file because it seemed more straightforward. And no, I didn't use 4.3.19 to make the .iso file.

And changing the filename to .mpeg worked fine. It was not a problem. In fact, if I want to export from OpenShot to BlueRay, it will export to a slightly lower quality .mp4 (although it's nowhere as low quality as burning straight with Pburn without an .iso file).