Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 17:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
FirstRib default WeeDog Linux build system
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 48 [709 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 05:22    Post subject:  

Yes, your desktop is looking very good rockedge. Nice seeing jwm in FirstRib/WeeDog.

fredx181 wrote:

(but eventually I think it will be good to have /dev/shm or /run/shm as separate tmpfs filesystem).

Actually, I'm about to upload build initramfs01 ver008pre, which includes tmptfs for /dev/shm and /run/shm (actually, I followed a recommendation I found elsewhere, and on the booted system have /dev/shm as a symlink to /run/shm.

Upload will be there in a few minutes...

As I said earlier, this build initramfs script contains support for slow boot devices and also for specifying boot partition/dir you wish to use. Does that via grub config (menu.lst for grub4dos) kernel-line arguments usbwait=duration (which is optional) and bootfrom=/mnt/partition/directory (which is required). No commandline parameter is used now in running the initramfs build script since the grub menu.lst line supplies the information instead. Big advantage is that the resulting initramfs.gz can be moved around between partitions (and into different dir names) without having to be re-built each time (same one will work everywhere - the init script inside the initramfs.gz sorts everything out based on what grub cmdline produces).

wiak

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130

Last edited by wiak on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 05:46; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 05:34    Post subject: build initramfs script ver008pre
Subject description: with grub config usbwait=duration and bootfrom=/mnt/partition/dirname

I've tested WeeDog with boot from my internal hd and also from usbstick (using different boot directory names) and with startx. All went fine (posting this right now, via wifi, using latest Firefox in WeeDog; I keep an eye on things with top and free command, but also lxtask is a small install).

EDIT: Also got sound working with youtube in Firefox now. For my system, I needed (did in this order I think...). Note that I found which snd module by looking at lsmod whist on my running XenialDog system and checking dependencies in lib/modules/kernel_version/modules.dep:

Code:
xbps-install alsa-utils
xbps-install pulseaudio
modprobe snd_hda_intel
alsactl init
pulseaudio --start
(ignore warning about running as root)
Used alsamixer to turn up volumes, then
firefox &

[EDIT] NOTE: rufwoof has since added some extra information regarding getting sound system to work:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1033499#1033499

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1033525#1033525

wiak

Last edited by wiak on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 04:35; edited 5 times in total
rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 21:59    Post subject:  

Hello wiak...I am about to boot ver 008

don't forget in your documentation for booting to add net.ifnames=0

Code:
title firstrib (Void Linux Flavour)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /firstrib/vmlinuz  usbwait=12 bootfrom=/mnt/sda1/firstrib net.ifnames=0
  initrd /firstrib/initramfs.gz
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 23:36    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
Hello wiak...I am about to boot ver 008

don't forget in your documentation for booting to add net.ifnames=0

Code:
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /firstrib/vmlinuz  usbwait=12 bootfrom=/mnt/sda1/firstrib net.ifnames=0

Good idea. That's an actual kernel option for keeping traditional interface names. I don't do that myself; I use the new form from udev, and check names with ip link command, but still a good alternative to use the likes of eth0 or wlan0 format, which grub menu.lst kernel-line option net.ifnames=0 forces; on some systems you may, rarely (only if biosdevname package installed), also need parameter biosdevname=0 if you choose to disable the so-called 'consistent network device naming' and use eth0, wlan0 and so on instead (but seems biosdevname pkg not used by Void Linux anyway):

https://access.redhat.com/discussions/916973
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/networking_guide/sec-disabling_consistent_network_device_naming
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Change_interface_name

I'll add that in to docs somewhere. Thanks.

EDIT: For the moment, I've now included that suggestion (and link to this post) in the post/quick-howto I detailed setting up network connection:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1031022#1031022

wiak

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 09:24    Post subject:  

I completed a working system using the 008 version. the build went smoothly.

I used the kernel and zdrv.sfs for Bionic64-v8 4.19.23

once the file system was built I used the mount script and then ->

Code:
xbps-install -Sy base-minimal bash xorg xterm xclock util-linux ncurses-base jwm mc

next run I will be using the firstrib.plug to perform the above commands during the initial build of the file system.

after the installation is completed I needed to replace the /usr/bin/sh symlink that points to dash with that symlink now pointing at /usr/bin/bash.
seems that using udhcpc -i eth0 needs that to work correctly

also modified /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to start JWM and rox -p default and a xterm terminal
Code:
#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
jwm &
rox -p default &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

then umount script is run followed by the build initramfs script.

boot code doesn't need the usbwait= in this case->
Code:
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /firstrib/vmlinuz  bootfrom=/mnt/sda1/firstrib net.ifnames=0

the system boots well and at the shell command line used xbps-install -Su and xbps-install -S to put rox, firefox,geany on the system.
I had to un-comment a line to set locales en_US.UTF-8 using
Code:
xbps-reconfigure  -f glibc-locales

after all the little details typed startx in the shell and the desktop started right up.

did some cosmetic additions added scrot and NetworkManager ( which I have not really used at all yet and may remove it..don't know yet)

free- h returns ->
Code:
sh-5.0# free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          7.7Gi       323Mi       6.4Gi       812Mi       993Mi       6.3Gi
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

_
2019-07-06-093112_1280x1024_scrot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   247.49 KB
 Viewed   429 Time(s)

2019-07-06-093112_1280x1024_scrot.png

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 14:22    Post subject:  

one thing though, I somehow changed to rox-filer toolbar icon theme and can not return the toolbar back to the default icons.
rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 16:13    Post subject:  

I found out that xlunch works really well with weepup (firstrib)
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 16:28    Post subject:  

Hi wiak, did a quick test, works well building initramfs.gz with v008 and booting with bootfrom=... parameter.
I found that sound works with firefox-esr without pulseaudio (only alsa-utils installed and did "modprobe snd_hda_intel" and "alsactl init")

@rockedge
Quote:
I found out that xlunch works really well with weepup (firstrib)

How did you install xlunch ?

Fred

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 17:20    Post subject:  

beautiful is I can open the Puppy Linux save folders in all of the Puppy's I have on this hard drive......so I clicked on xlunch binary I had set up in a Bionic64-v8 and it worked!......so I copied it over and installed menu-cache-1.1.0_1 to run the menu-generator

Code:
xbps-install -Sy menu-cache

I copied from a Bionic64 setup the xlunch desktop files also along with the different components to make it work. I will have to see again the xlunch setups in several different Puppy's each slightly different..... and I just apply it to WeePup

http://xlunch.org/

start xlunch as in the screenshot
Code:
#!/bin/bash

[ -f $HOME/.config/xlunch/entries.dsv ] && ENTRIES=$HOME/.config/xlunch/entries.dsv || ENTRIES=/etc/xlunch/entries.dsv
xlunch -i $ENTRIES -x +10 -y +10 -w 670 -h 600 --dontquit -W --border 5% --sideborder 10% --borderratio 5 --sideborderratio 50 --iconsize 28 \
          --background /usr/share/backgrounds/Sade.png /11
           -I 5 -T 5 -a --columns 2 \
          --paddingswap --leastmargin 1 --iconsize 16 \
 #         --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/shutdown_32x32.png;;+110,-10;wmpoweroff" \
          --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/restart_32x32.png;;+200,-10;wmreboot" \
          --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/logout_32x32.png;;+290,-10;pkill X" \
          --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/vlc_32x32.png;;10,+150;/usr/bin/vlc" \
          --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/leafpad_32x32.png;;10,+250;leafpad" \
          --button "/usr/share/xlunch/icons/firefox_32x32.png;;10,+350;firefox"

or full screen ->
Code:
#!/bin/bash
pd=$!
[ -f $HOME/.config/xlunch/entries.dsv ] && ENTRIES=$HOME/.config/xlunch/entries.dsv || ENTRIES=/etc/xlunch/entries.dsv
xlunch -i $ENTRIES --dontquit -W --border 6% --sideborder 6% --borderratio 20 --sideborderratio 20 \
#         --background /usr/share/backgrounds/FRACT021.GIF
         --iconpadding 35  --iconvpadding 5 \
         --paddingswap --iconsize 38 --textpadding 1 \
         --highlight /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/highlight.png
kill $pd
2019-07-06-194235_1280x1024_scrot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   234.41 KB
 Viewed   341 Time(s)

2019-07-06-194235_1280x1024_scrot.png

Last edited by rockedge on Sat 06 Jul 2019, 19:43; edited 2 times in total
rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 17:33    Post subject:  

right now I am trying to get xarchiver to run....it will be simpler to just add it to /upper_changes because I have had it running in the chroot'ed version and it was great to have....I am working on getting that running in WeePup

and I still can't get the default rox-filer toolbar icons back .....yet

and I have not got the sound to work yet...looks close though

now have palemoon running alongside firefox...next build only palemoon installed for testing
westwest

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2019, 15:13    Post subject: vcl equalizer  

When running VLC from firstrib inside another distro, the VLC equalizer doesn't function at all.
There are some error messages in the terminal about "not linking to apulse",
and about "no presets found".

I suppose a specific set of files should be mounted with "mount_chroot"?
And if so, how can i find out which ones?

Also, is it possible to mount and unmount files "on the fly" after chrooting into firstrib?

Thanks!
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2019, 23:36    Post subject: Re: vcl equalizer  

westwest wrote:
When running VLC from firstrib inside another distro, the VLC equalizer doesn't function at all.
There are some error messages in the terminal about "not linking to apulse",
and about "no presets found".

I suppose a specific set of files should be mounted with "mount_chroot"?
And if so, how can i find out which ones?

Also, is it possible to mount and unmount files "on the fly" after chrooting into firstrib?

Thanks!

Sorry, I never use VLC anymore, so have no idea about it. I presume you are talking about version of VLC installed using xbps package manager and similarly with apulse (though I never use that either). I doubt mount_chroot or umount_chroot would come into that - it would be about installing packages with xbps. On the otherhand if you are using some external sfs containing VLC (as firstrib_extras.sfs, for example) then you would need to make sure that sfs contained all the required dependencies (or that xbps could directly install them without conflict).

As far as mounting/umounting is concerned, you should be able to use such commands as normal, if that is what you mean. I.e. make a dir and mount a filesystem onto it, and then umount it once finished. But perhaps you mean something else in which case you'd need to explain the context.

Hopefully someone can then hope you out with both issues.

wiak

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2019, 06:57    Post subject:  

Not using Firstrib myself, but a thought that comes to mind is to install Oscar's apulse https://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/ and run vlc using that

./apulse vlc
or for browser ...
./apulse ./firefox

Is /etc/asound.state bind mounted as part of the chroot along with /dev/snd (/dev/dsp ???)

Perhaps also try running vlc from the command line to see what messages it throws out.

I know that with some Puppy versions of vlc the equaliser doesn't work well. Same with visualisations i.e. click the box to activate and ... crash.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rockedge

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2019, 15:49    Post subject:  

@rufwoof thanks for the suggestion and I am trying out the extracted apulse.pet

for fun I made an ISO burned it to create a bootable live CD and DVD.

used the components from Puppy Linux Bionic64-v8 plus the firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs and the directories /work and /upper_changes then modified the isolinux.cfg and grub.cfg with the necessary lines to boot. One ISO was 202 meg and the other a full 1.8 gig

it almost booted! went all the way to the endless loop with that setsid error we've seen before

noticed that using the basic stock version of firstrib_rootfs and making a smaller initramfs.gz around 28-30 meg and then booting connecting to the network and then using xbps-install,
install base-minimal (in this case) xorg jwm xterm rox geany firefox palemoon guvcview bash mc
all after firstrib is started so they land in /upper_changes. This allows for fairly quick boot times

also noticing that firstrib with the Bionic Puppy Linux kernel idles very well at 0% CPU 0 load and does run excellent.....very responsive with firefox and blazes with palemoon which I copied from a Bionic64 save folder

firstrib32 is using 152 meg of RAM
firstrib64 is going at around 800 megs RAM but is really loaded and some big pieces were put into the initramfs.gz which the 32 bit one has most installed after boot

Last edited by rockedge on Mon 08 Jul 2019, 19:15; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2019, 19:08    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
noticed that using the basic stock version of firstrib_rootfs and making a smaller initramfs.gz around 28-30 meg and then booting connecting to the network and then using xbps-install,
install base-minimal (in this case) xorg jwm xterm rox geany firefox palemoon guvcview bash mc
all after firstrib is started so they land in /upper_changes. This allows for fairly quick boot times

Once I have made switch_root build initramfs version the initramfs.gz will be very small so amount actually loaded into RAM will be also small. The main firstrib_rootfs will then converted into a 01firstrib_rootfs.sfs and mounted rather than all loaded into RAM. Actually that could be arranged for current chroot version too. Will be a while though; school holidays here for next two weeks and I'm looking after our two kids during that period so not able to focus as intensely on firstrib for that period, though I am working on the development.

From the downloads I'm guessing around 10 people are trying or tried most recent build initramfs of firstrib. Not a lot, but enough that I'd feel guilty if I didn't continue with the promised next stage! Wink

wiak

Page 10 of 48 [709 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: