Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 13 Dec 2019, 04:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
De-Googling
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul 2019, 13:08    Post subject:  

I was told - so I don't know if it is true, even if it sounds like it - about a guy that applied for a position in a company, and got this CV in return. It came with a short letter that said that since his past job results were impossible to Google, and that his history was impossible to be tracked in social media, he was clearly not the person they sought, for a position that required an active and outgoing personality. Shocked
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul 2019, 15:06    Post subject:  

@ BKJ:-

I can understand you wanting to stay away from Google, if you go by the contents of that video. According to which, the roots and 'raison d'etre' of the entire modern internet was originally funded by some very far-seeing and forward-thinking individuals in both the military and intelligence communities.....through layer after layer of rather shady 'front' companies/organisations.

'Big Brother' was in the throes of formation long before the actual date of Orwell's fictitious & prophetic novel.

But just in case you get too comfortable with the the likes of DuckDuckGo, you might want to take a squizz at this Reddit article on DuckDuckGo's founder, one Gabriel Weinberg:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/aqz3q8/the_history_of_duckduckgos_founder_is_disturbing/

Seems he's the former operator of a site for helping people track down 'lost' individuals.....by trawling through vast amounts of other people's supposedly 'private' information.....

Food for thought, mate. They're everywhere, boy; they're a-comin' ter git ya!!! Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

Shut down every on-line a/c you've got. Pull the plug on the 'net, and take a very big hammer to your PC. Disconnect yourself from the world....

That's the only way to be safe!

(*Apparently, if it hadn't been for WWII, the modern internet would have never come into being...*)

-------------------------------------

The 'powers-that-be' have probably got a 'dossier' on me as thick as a stack of Bibles. Personally, I couldn't care less; I don't use all of Google's services by a long chalk, but those I do use make life a hell of a lot simpler for me. I'm not paranoid, and I'm very content with life.... Very Happy

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 05:32; edited 6 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul 2019, 15:11    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
I was told - so I don't know if it is true, even if it sounds like it - about a guy that applied for a position in a company, and got this CV in return. It came with a short letter that said that since his past job results were impossible to Google, and that his history was impossible to be tracked in social media, he was clearly not the person they sought, for a position that required an active and outgoing personality. Shocked

It makes sense: never confuse an hermit with a socialite! Laughing

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 04:55    Post subject:  

I apologise for working on the split T1 board at DCC which was the interface from terrestrial to satellite for the emerging digital networks.

Twas me...... I confess....I made the internet Shocked

Hmm abusing technology has been a long standing military/political hobby.
one has to simply avoid playing their games as best one can. I am also a terrible consumer.

By the way DCC were an american company in the uk created to develop the system and then made everyone redundant once done.... did me a favour though as I tripled my wages in only a year because of that.

Ah the loyalty of such corporates is heartwarming

mike
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 05:43    Post subject:  

Google promotes discrimination and should be prosecuted for such. Traders typically want their online presence to attract customers. In their high street shop likely they'd fall foul of the law if they only permitted certain sex/race or ability (such as sighted) to enter their shop. Commonly however businesses that commission web pages to be designed/implemented end up with a product that is highly discriminatory - only works for those that are wearing a google suit.

Google's dominance may have peaked. The internet has transitioned through a phase where many set up online presence anywhere and sold products globally often without any taxes being paid. Now states are looking at ensuring the taxes otherwise due are paid and along with that 'control' will be the requirement of catering for all rather than being discriminatory. When you can more generally use the likes of a text only browser to achieve the same tasks as a heavily bloated browser then many may transition over to using the faster/less-clutter choices.

The UK government is a leader in that respect as its web pages, online tax returns ...etc. accommodate providing a similar experience when accessed by a very wide range of browsers/devices.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 09:43    Post subject:  

An "outgoing person" is not one that spends all their time sat in front of computer screen. ( nor is one that spends all their time on (anti)social media)
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 05:22    Post subject:  

Quote:
The UK government is a leader in that respect as its web pages, online tax returns ...etc. accommodate providing a similar experience when accessed by a very wide range of browsers/devices.

Except for job seekers allowance as mentioned.

Mail2web now have google ecapcha and no way of complaining to them..... i dont want them profiling my private emails so anyone know any alternatives? Unfortunatly library wifi blocks all ports except 80

Mike
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 16:06    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Twas me...... I confess....I made the internet

Darn, I thought it was Edison! Hah, there's those false news, again! Mad

Burn_IT wrote:
An "outgoing person" is not one that spends all their time sat in front of computer screen.

Well, you know that, I know that, most of the forum users know that, but some people have a serious echo when tapped on the head, and unfortunately they are everywhere!

8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 22:40    Post subject:  

This reminds me of Tom Lehrer doing his Werner Von Braun schtick... " I make the rockets that go up... I do not control where they come down". It takes one genius to make something, but a thousand fools know how to break it. Thus, the internet.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
labbe5

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2019, 08:36    Post subject: Cruiser
Subject description: A map and navigation platform for Android and Desktop

Download :
http://www.talent.gr/public/cruiser/cruiser-desktop-1.8.zip

Point of interests :
https://download.mapsforge.org/pois/

Maps :
https://offline-maps.kurviger.de/

Move cruiser folder to your Home directory, then cd to cruiser and start it from there :
./cruiser.sh

Further reading :
CRUISER: An open-source alternative to Google Maps
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649566/cruiser-an-open-source-alternative-to-google-maps/

In my opinion, Google Maps is unrivaled when used online with GPS on a smartphone. It is a great help to go from A to B in the shortest time possible following vocal instructions. But you need to have wi-fi on, or better yet, a data plan, which you may not have.

Further reading :
Framasoft, Disroot, & PrivacyToolsIO: All-In-One Ethical Online Service Providers
http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2019/10/framasoft-disroot-privacytoolsio-all-in-one-ethical-online-providers.html
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: