Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Jul 2019, 06:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Remaster puppy live-CD /root/.config modifications
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul 2019, 21:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
I coped specific file and folder form /root/.config/ to /tmp/root/.config/ as mention in this post.

Why did you do this? Run the remaster script after you are happy with your setup and configurations. Select to keep (customise) your settings for use on the same computer during the remaster process.
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul 2019, 22:53    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Quote:
I coped specific file and folder form /root/.config/ to /tmp/root/.config/ as mention in this post.

Why did you do this? Run the remaster script after you are happy with your setup and configurations. Select to keep (customise) your settings for use on the same computer during the remaster process.

I think that is when he was trying to use the standard script and follow (not correctly) Catdude's instructions.

We got 2 separate things going on and I think it is confusing him.

I'll stop and let you work with him.
medhor

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 04:55    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Quote:

I notice the after booting using the new ISO my specific setting are not there.
So in next remaster try I follow the instantiations and copy specific configuration.
medhor

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 04:59    Post subject:  

oui wrote:
depending which config settings are the matter, the comportment of Puppy after boot can make your settings invalid overwriting them with new settings. this is the case with divers settings in /etc (especially keyboard map options Twisted Evil , resolution, sound level, localisation) and ~/.config (especially rox config's)

in may case in keyboard map options regarding localisation and
tray keyboard icon switcher.

So how can I avoid it?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 09:20    Post subject: Unscrambling Eggs  

dancytron "I think that is when he was trying to use the standard script and follow (not correctly) Catdude's instructions.

We got 2 separate things going on and I think it is confusing him."

There are three --maybe more-- remaster applications. (1) The builtin which, I think, medhor used; (2) nic0S-remaster suite, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1001289#1001289 and (3) shinobar's RemasterX, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=780345#780345.

The latter two are faster and much less prone to user-errors. But, it's medhor's right to do things the hard way. Unless otherwise advised we should assume for the purpose of this thread using the builtin-script is where the problem lies. If either of the other applications is the subject of medhor's inquiry, I suggest that he/she posts to its respective thread.
medhor

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 09:46    Post subject: Re: Unscrambling Eggs  

mikeslr wrote:
dancytron "I think that is when he was trying to use the standard script and follow (not correctly) Catdude's instructions.

We got 2 separate things going on and I think it is confusing him."

There are three --maybe more-- remaster applications. (1) The builtin which, I think, medhor used; (2) nic0S-remaster suite, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1001289#1001289 and (3) shinobar's RemasterX, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=780345#780345.

The latter two are faster and much less prone to user-errors. But, it's medhor's right to do things the hard way. Unless otherwise advised we should assume for the purpose of this thread using the builtin-script is where the problem lies. If either of the other applications is the subject of medhor's inquiry, I suggest that he/she posts to its respective thread.

I tried two scripts the one that install on BionicPup32 and Remasterpup-Updated-Experimental.zip which recommend in this post by "rockedge".

In both cases me setting/changes where gone.
In both case I inspect the ISO and extract the puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs file from my ISO and /root/.config contain all my modifications!

Which remaster toll you recommend for use in BionicPup32
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 17:49    Post subject:  

Sorry medhor,

I have no idea what may be going awry. I haven't tried to remaster Bionicpup. The newest Puppy I've remastered is Xenialpup 7.5 which went smoothly.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 18:58    Post subject: DOS & other dos
Subject description: Blazing fast

@rockedge

Until recently Quattro 5.5 and Pacioli were used on a pre IDE HD MSFT DOS machine, which hd ran slower than today's CD/DVD drives. When it bought the farm dug out an old XP machine to run the above and it's still going strong. It's the machine I used a remastered Precise CD on. Also use a Win98 NEC laptop for secondary.
williams2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 20:07    Post subject:  

If you are burning to a multi-session cd/dvd, it might be that the multi-session disc is only booting the first session. In that case, a new empty cd/dvd disc should work.

If you want to be sure you are really booting your remastered iso, you could put a file somewhere, for example, /root/readme777.txt. If that file is there after the disc boots, then you know you really did boot your remastered version. If the readme777.txt file is there but the .config/ files are not there, then they either were not saved in the remaster or something is reconfiguring things after it boots.

You should be booting with the pfix=ram option to be sure the save file/folder is not changing what is in .config/.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 20:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
In both case I inspect the ISO and extract the puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs file from my ISO and /root/.config contain all my modifications!

Are you talking about the new iso after your remaster? If so, your remaster was successful and the particular settings are automatically altered for some reason during bootup. Are you using the remastered puppy on the same machine?

Also - you must delete any old savefiles that you may have after remaster before you boot your remastered puppy (backup the old savefile first).
medhor

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 02:44    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:

Are you talking about the new iso after your remaster?

Yes it new ISO.

nic007 wrote:

If so, your remaster was successful and the particular settings are automatically altered for some reason during bootup.

That what I susspect how can I workaround it?

nic007 wrote:

Are you using the remastered puppy on the same machine?

No I start from clean BionicPup32

nic007 wrote:

Also - you must delete any old savefiles that you may have after remaster before you boot your remastered puppy (backup the old savefile first).

I'm booting using "RAM only (no pupsave) option" so savefile are not relevant.
medhor

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 02:47    Post subject:  

williams2 wrote:
If you are burning to a multi-session cd/dvd, it might be that the multi-session disc is only booting the first session. In that case, a new empty cd/dvd disc should work.

If you want to be sure you are really booting your remastered iso, you could put a file somewhere, for example, /root/readme777.txt. If that file is there after the disc boots, then you know you really did boot your remastered version. If the readme777.txt file is there but the .config/ files are not there, then they either were not saved in the remaster or something is reconfiguring things after it boots.

You should be booting with the pfix=ram option to be sure the save file/folder is not changing what is in .config/.

I'm using virtualbox vm. In the machine configuration I select ISO file (CD) to boot from.
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: