modern remote desktop for puppy linux 4.21 retro !!!

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
aldoniel

modern remote desktop for puppy linux 4.21 retro !!!

#1 Post by aldoniel »

Hello everyone,

I took back my really old by still working thinkpad 600E with puppy linux 4.21 retro. (yes, everything is old : pentium II, 128 MB ram, and a tricky sound card which only works with retro and a lot of hacks).

I wanted to use it as a light client for remote desktop (to my main computer, windows 10 pro with local wifi) with sound (so, no vnc).

It seems that anydesk could be perfect, but I wasn’t able to run the pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116395). I keep getting no such file or directory for libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 . So, I put libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 and libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.0.0 in usr/lib and lib, and along anydesk bin, and I still get the same error at runtime (using the console, clicking the icon doesn’t send the message).

Meanwhile, I managed to compile rdesktop v1.8.6.
I fact not. I compiled it with
./configure --disable-smartcard and --disable-credssp
Disable –disable-credssp is annoying because I have to deactivate on windows "network level authentication" which I think is bad, but not too much.
Worse, I was never able to compile the real source : I had to patch ssl.c because when running make I got X509_PUBKEY_set0_param() and X509_PUBKEY_get0_param reference error.
I believe it has something to do with openssl and so I updated open ssl source with a recent pet with no result, even by forcing the header directly to the correct openssl files…
So, I removed theses two functions from the code and it seams to run, for now… (I probably created something really bad inside SSL)
I made a pet of it if someone is interested...

Surprisingly, rdesktop runs not so badly on my old computer. The only troubles are that I don’t have sound in youtube, and video in large windows have no sound but noise (if the player has a reduce windows, let say 2 square centimeters, it "works"). So, no video on RDP.
Maybe it’s a hardware limit, maybe it’s because rdesktop only has RDP 5.

So my questions are :
* is anyone able to compile something like RDP for puppy 4.21 retro ?
* rdesktop ?
* freerdp may be better as it has RDP 6, and maybe less video problems.
* anydesk with the dependencies ? (maybe the best ?)
* or to point out what I missed.

Thanks !
Attachments
rdesktop-1.8.6-i486.pet
rdesktop without NLA authentication (and some hack in ssl of unknown signification) ; not to use over internet...
(143.39 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

aldoniel

#2 Post by aldoniel »

Hello,
I have solved most of the problems with rdesktop (sound and video using too much resources). Here is my small how-to use rdesktop :

1) setup both computers on the same LAN (i use wifi).

2) launch from the console

Code: Select all

rdesktop REMOTEIP -r sound:local:oss -f -k fr -x 0x81 -u USER -p PASSWORD
(remplace REMOTEIP, USER and PASSWORD with the IP of the remote computer, remote pass and user if you don't wan't to do it manually).

-r sound:local:oss is some technical magic which solved my hardware issues (i tried something like sound:alsa before). It may be hardware dependent.

-k fr is the french keyboard ; you may remove it for qwerty.

-x 0x81 use more bandwidth but gives font smoothing ; a must-have.