EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
blgs

#1581 Post by blgs »

while testing Easyos (version 1.0.92) as a user.

These is one issue which disturbs me.
When I'm downloading a sfs file in sfsmanager a download window appears on top of the monitor. The download window cannot be moved or minimized. Furthermore the download windows appears an all desktops. So switching desktops doesn't help either.

Is it possible to change it in moveable and resizeable download window which only appears on one desktop and not all three.

lp-dolittle

Easy-1.0.92.iso

#1582 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Maybe, this additional installation option might be of interest to those who like running EasyOS totally in RAM, despite missing an optical drive, and who would appreciate a save partition on the boot medium that only needs to be inserted during the booting and saving processes! In combination with the container options of EasyOS, such a variant, quasi, could provide 'optimum security'.

In analogy to what I previously did in Xerus64-8.6, I managed to install the Easy-1.0.92.iso onto a flash-stick and to create a save partition on the same stick, using the fix-usb.sh script from fatdog.
To do so, 2 simple steps were required:
1. dd-ing the iso-file onto the flash-stick
(dd if=easy-1.0.92.iso of=/dev/<sdx> bs=1M)
2. running Fatdog64-802, open a console an run the fix-usb.sh script
(fix-usb.sh /dev/<sdx>)
Finally, creating and formatting a linux save partition in the remaining
space

and @ Sage

Aware of your dislike of flash-sticks, I tried to do the same with an external HD (usb2-interface). Since the fix-usb.sh script cannot be used in this case, I started an attempt via fdisk and was able to 'define' the remaining space as an additional partition. Booting from this external drive (I, so far, only tested an IDE-drive) initially was possible but failed as soon as the newly created partition was formatted. I'm still pondering on a possibility to circumvent this issue.

kind regards
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Sat 20 Jul 2019, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney Byne

questionable VLC

#1583 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry K,

My only interest is Multimedia.

Further to your necessary re-compiling of players in 1.0.14,
VLC in 1.0.29 downloaded from petget isn't working properly
on two fronts, compared to same version Vetinari in other distros.

1. When launched, the playlist panel on the left side should
have Icecast at the bottom of the displayed pull-down list.
It does not show. Which is a pity as this gives access
to hundreds of world radio streaming stations.

2. Please try to action this live url TV Channel string direct
from Bloomberg NY.
It works well with MPC-Qt and mpv, but not at all with VLC.

https://liveproduseast.akamaized.net/us ... _live.m3u8

Best regards, Rodney.

Sage

#1584 Post by Sage »

despite missing an optical drive, ... could provide 'optimum security'.
Not sure about external HD - overkill surely - but an external CD/DVD drive can be had cheaply, is small, portable and recognised by most modern junk. Still doesn't solve the missing FDD problem in another thread.

Dry Falls

re: Linux crashes on new laptop

#1585 Post by Dry Falls »

Hello Barry. Regarding your blog post @ http://bkhome.org/news/201907/linux-cra ... aptop.html, I have an acer aspire c. 2014 which has always had the same problem running linux 'till I discovered the kernel parameter

Code: Select all

intel_idle.max_cstate=1
from the Arch Linux forum. That was after three years of web searching. Have you tried this? 'Course it could be something else but it worked for me.

-df

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: re: Linux crashes on new laptop

#1586 Post by BarryK »

Dry Falls wrote:Hello Barry. Regarding your blog post @ http://bkhome.org/news/201907/linux-cra ... aptop.html, I have an acer aspire c. 2014 which has always had the same problem running linux 'till I discovered the kernel parameter

Code: Select all

intel_idle.max_cstate=1
from the Arch Linux forum. That was after three years of web searching. Have you tried this? 'Course it could be something else but it worked for me.

-df
I have a fix:
http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-no ... aptop.html

Using the laptop right now, so far so good.

Yes, I recall that kernel parameter, didn't try it this time though.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

#1587 Post by scsijon »

I Had a (power) crash while starting 1.0.92 and it gave errors on restarting relating to sdb1 and a kernel crash.

Now with the base partition not being linux, what are we suppose to use to fix it as it's in-menu fsck didn't for either partition, just gave more errors.

In the end I just re-dd'd the memory stick and started again from there. That would normally mean, anything I had already installed or added would be 'cactus' so maybe there needs to be something to scan and fix the sdb1partition first before trying to fix sdb2.

don570

#1588 Post by don570 »

Strange spelling error on Barry's blog
http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-no ... aptop.html
, Quicky, Debian and Mint, but I found an old version of Quircky

Sage

#1589 Post by Sage »

Strange spelling error on Barry's blog
Two, actually - look more closely. Better with typos than not at all.

scsijon

seamonkey in a container

#1590 Post by scsijon »

From Starting SeaMonkey in container
July 24, 2019 — BarryK
Anyway, I have put in a test, and a message will popup if no Internet inside the container and SM will not start.
Except if i'm designing a new webpage/website I still want seamonkey to start, whether i'm online or not, and i'm using a container so as to keep everything relating to the page/site together and not 'out there'. Maybe a better idea could be to have it starting with a inbuilt webpage telling you it's not online.

wdt

multi-iso

#1591 Post by wdt »

I'm not very keen on writing just 1 iso to a UFD and wasting 3/4 or more of it
I suppose that, if the UFD is used (written) a lot, it will last forever
If it is only an install it hardly matters how fast the UFD is,,
but if you are running from it, it should be fast.
So, more of a waste, 1 (only) iso on a fast UFD (usb flash drive)
For bios boot, hard to beat e2b,, easy 2 boot
Only 2 caveats,, copy to "right" directory,, check that iso is contiguous
( cd to dir with copied.iso; hdparm --fibmap copied.iso)
e2b is not so good for UEFI, it can be done, awkward and a bit painfull
For UEFI, it is little known, which is a shame, refind usually works OK
I partition gpt (rather than mbr) for simplicity, some buggy UEFI falsely
link gpt to UEFI so this avoids that problem
Make an ESP, install refind,, refind has a iso9660 driver which is how this works
Make a partition 5% larger than the iso, dd the iso to that partition
As many worthwhile isos as you can fit on to the UFD,,
put transient ones at end of the stick (easier to remove without future problems)
Easy 1.0.92 boots OK this way, however I have not succeeded in getting
persistence on that UFD, I'm not sure why (persistence elsewhere OK)
Barry,, thanks for the iso

--edit-- it should be obvious, but maybe not,, 1 iso per partiition,
the partition becomes ro,, read only
Make another partition for rw data

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1592 Post by BarryK »

[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

lp-dolittle

EasyOS on flash-stick

#1593 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ wdt

Just to let you know.

If you want to start EasyOS from a flash-stick, run the OS in RAM totally, have the persistence/save option, and if you additionally also are interested in extending the flash-stick's lifespan/durability, you can achieve all that in a simple way. The flash-stick does not need to remain inserted after booting, but can be used for saving operations at every instant (if wanted). Moreover, the flash stick's speed is not of great relevance if you boot into RAM exclusively.

As I assume, this method also can work on a 'multi-iso' flash-stick.

Security, speed, versatility, durability, everything fitting together well ... !

If interested, look at my post from 20. July 2019 on this thread.

kind regards

lp-dolittle

Argolance

#1594 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Trying to run Easy from an USB stick after dumping the imgz file to it, at no time is it proposed to save the session to keep the configuration, parameters and programs installed as is the case with standard Puppies.
lp-dolittle wrote:If you want to start EasyOS from a flash-stick, run the OS in RAM totally, have the persistence/save option
It seems that this way (by installing/copying the OS from an iso file) you can have persistence but why not directly using the imgz file with an easysave file stored in the second partition?
I admit that for those who are used to Puppy (at least me as an ordinary newcomer!), Easy is quite confusing... For example, the use of programs in "containers" is not really clear in principle.

Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS.iso

#1595 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Argolance

it's the 'totally running in RAM' option which makes the iso-dding onto a flash-stick interesting, irrespective of the Puppy- or Easy-version which you would like to work with.

If you simply install Puppy or EasyOS onto a flash-stick, according to your method, the stick needs to be left inserted after booting.

kind regards

lp-dolittle

rufwoof

Re: EasyOS.iso

#1596 Post by rufwoof »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Argolance

it's the 'totally running in RAM' option which makes the iso-dding onto a flash-stick interesting, irrespective of the Puppy- or Easy-version which you would like to work with.

If you simply install Puppy or EasyOS onto a flash-stick, according to your method, the stick needs to be left inserted after booting.

kind regards

lp-dolittle
Interesting. How do you dd the iso onto a usb and then boot that? One of the reasons I boot Fatdog is its ability to boot from usb, also store saves on the usb, where those save(s) are loaded into ram and then layered during startup so the usb can be unplugged once the system has booted, only needing the usb to be re-inserted if you want to run a save (I use multi-session saves, so each additional save action adds another save sfs to the set). That is of course with the Save Session Interval set to zero (only save on demand). To reduce the risk of potentially running out of ram between saves (once configured I generally tend not to save) I have a 16GB swap partition on hdd that is activated on startup, with its content stored in encrypted form using a (system) randomly generated session key.

I was under the impression that with Puppy's in general, you couldn't boot from and save to usb as well as unplugging the usb once the system had booted (could only unplug the usb if you ram booted without loading/using a save file/folder stored on the usb).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

lp-dolittle

live flash-stick for Puppies quirkies and EasyOS

#1597 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ rufwoof

the method which I mentioned in the above '@ Argolance' post is described in a previous post on this thread from 07.20.2019 (EasyOS-method; using fix-usb.sh from fatdog) as well as in posts on the meanwhile closed Quirky thread (no fix-usb.sh).

Have a look at these posts, and let me know if you need additional information.

kind regards

lp-dolittle

rufwoof

#1598 Post by rufwoof »

[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Argolance

#1599 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour ,
Merci rufwoof et lp-dolittle pour vos réponses!
I was and am still used to a simple button on the Desktop, clickable if necessary as well as to the possibility of saving or not the session when the computer turns off.
I find this simple, appropriate for all situations and very user-friendly.

Thanks for the links and "how to" I will test soon.

Cordialement.

wdt

#1600 Post by wdt »

@lp-dolittle

>EasyOS-method; using fix-usb.sh from fatdog

I don't have fatdog,, can you describe what fix-usb.sh does?
OR, attach it to a post so I can spelunk

thanks