wex screencast, webcam, audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeslr, I understand what you wrote and agree for the most, but I don't think Mike Wash's intention is to include yad in the "all-in-one" weX package or gifenc package.
(but he better speak for himself)

About wex-portable, it's convenient to use (dependencies. e.g. static ffmpeg build included), but a better way might be to install the (static) ffmpeg and weX .pet package separate, then this ffmpeg version can also be used system-wide.
Well.. if choice of these different setups is provided, it's okay IMHO.

EDIT:
@Mike Walsh, nice avatar ! (but very distracting... no... just teasing you.. again.. couldn't resist :wink: )

Fred

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fred/Mikeslr:-

Fred:- Ok, that's fair enough. Everything's now uploaded.....just gotta post the links.

--------------------------------------------

Mike:- Oh, I agree, absolutely; I'm starting to realise this myself. It's pointless installing a particular item for 2 or 3 apps, then 'overwriting' it again with another app that has the same item built-in.

So.....this is what's going to be available:-

WeX 0.8.18 'all-in-one' screencaster

Scrox is built-in to the wex-portable binary in /usr/bin, as are libImlib2 and libgiblib1, and the static ffmpeg builds supplied by Fred. Will's Weav post-processor is also included in the package, as are Menu entries for starting both separately.

32-bit version

64-bit version

-------------------------------------------------

'Static' FFmpeg builds, for global, system-wide use

32-bit version - build 3.1.2

64-bit version - build 3.3.4

These install to /usr/bin, and over-write the elderly version shipped by default with Puppy. If you really want to keep the old version (just in case), copy it somewhere safe before installing the .pet.

I've been using the 32-bit version across most of the kennels for a while now, and haven't noticed any 'issues'; if anything, I've noticed distinct improvements in certain areas.....like audio recording finally works properly for the first time in ages!

Current builds of YAD - compiled v0.40.0

32-bit

64-bit

Installs to /usr/bin. 32-bit was compiled in Tahr 6.0.6, 64-bit compiled in Xenialpup64 7.5. This makes very little difference, though; YAD, once compiled, appears to run in pretty much any Pup of the same architecture.The 32-bit version is quite happy in Racy 5.5.....and that's not even a Woof-CE Puppy; it's a T2, IIRC.

And finally.....

Fred's gifenc-sel 'GIF-creator'

Simply a script, so 'noarch', and will work in any Pup, so long as a suitably up-to-date version of ffmpeg is installed. It requires this, since the version built-in to the WeX 'all-in-one' is only for that app's use.

AFAIK, Fred recommends installing 'xterm' from the PPM before you use this.....

Attached below. (See following post for new version.)

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
GIF_creator-noarch.pet
Creates GIFs from your video clips. 'Noarch' - runs in any Puppy. Requires recent version of FFmpeg - see above.
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 23:14, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Great job Mike !!!

About Gif-creator, a little late (sorry), but the gifenc-sel script really needed some improvements:
- Not depending on xterm installed anymore.
(will check if xterm is present, otherwise use rxvt)
- Showing some output now (info) in the term window (previously only if there was a warning)
- Display GIF icon in the yad window (instead of the (ugly) yad icon)
- Shows errors if there are any in the term window.

Attached version 2.0.0 .pet.

Fred
Attachments
GIF_creator-2.0.0_noarch.pet
Gif-creator 2.0.0
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
image-4.png
Output in terminal
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:About Gif-creator, a little late (sorry), but the gifenc-sel script really needed some improvements:
- Not depending on xterm installed anymore.
(will check if xterm is present, otherwise use rxvt)
- Showing some output now (info) in the term window (previously only if there was a warning)
- Display GIF icon in the yad window (instead of the (ugly) yad icon)
- Shows errors if there are any in the term window.

Attached version 2.0.0 .pet.

Fred
Nice one. Image

mikeslr

Thanks

#65 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike, Fred and wiak for your ingenuity and perseverance. :D

fredx181

#66 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:WeX 0.8.18 'all-in-one' screencaster

Scrox is built-in to the wex-portable binary in /usr/bin, as are libImlib2 and libgiblib1, and the static ffmpeg builds supplied by Fred. Will's Weav post-processor is also included in the package, as are Menu entries for starting both separately.

32-bit version
Hi Mike, sorry to say, just checked your 32-bit package and noticed that wex-portable included contains the older version 0.8.17 of weX, probably not what you intended :wink: .

For the wex-portable with v 0.8.18 see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 943#997943

Fred

Mike Walsh

#67 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Well spotted, mate. Sorry 'bout that; too many irons in the fire, and my mind's all over the place at the moment..! :oops: When I'm packaging, I often have too many windows open at once; it can be a real challenge to make sure I drag'n'drop stuff to & from the correct ones.....

v0.8.18 checked for correct portable, re-packed, and re-uploaded. All done.

Cheers!

fredx181

#68 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:v0.8.18 checked for correct portable, re-packed, and re-uploaded. All done.

Mmm... did I assume correctly that you replaced the 32-bit link weX AIO here ? :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1010119
I still see v0.8.17 after install, some confusion going on ? or maybe again "too many irons in the fire" :wink: .
Btw, I recognize that, sometimes I have too many windows open, and I get crazy.
Then I close them all and start all over again.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#69 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:v0.8.18 checked for correct portable, re-packed, and re-uploaded. All done.

Mmm... did I assume correctly that you replaced the 32-bit link weX AIO here ? :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1010119
I still see v0.8.17 after install, some confusion going on ? or maybe again "too many irons in the fire" :wink: .
Btw, I recognize that, sometimes I have too many windows open, and I get crazy.
Then I close them all and start all over again.

Fred
-------------------------------

D'oh! Well spotted.....again.

Re-uploaded the re-packed package, forgot to update with the new link. What am I like, eh? :oops:

Done.

wiak

#70 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ William:-

Okay; that's all taken care of, now.

Attached below are two 64-bit Wex 'all-in-one' packages (without ffmpeg). One is for Xenial64, where the standard audio_in.plug 'setup' works fine. The other is for Bionic64, where the audio_in.plug 'ffmpeg' lines have been reversed; nothing else has been touched, since that's the only mod required.
One small, but unfortunate lack of convenience in your BionicPup allinone, Mike, is that BionicPup64 comes with mpv (not vlc), so these line in user_utilities would have been better changed from:

Code: Select all

export wex_utility06="vlc"

to

export wex_utility06="mpv"
Of course, there is a button on weX that allows the user to edit that file themself, which hopefully they will understand and do.

Then the mpv button would work for playback of the recorded file.

I haven't checked what media player is the default in XenialPup64

wiak

Mike Walsh

#71 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Will:-

Have modified the

export wex_utility06="vlc"
...to:-

export wex_utility06="mpv"
.....in order to, as you say, reflect Bionic's default media player. (Never gave it a second thought, I'll be honest!) I've also changed the icon in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/wex to suit.

Modded version uploaded to the original post on the previous page. Hope that's satisfactory.

Mike Walsh

#72 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just as an 'update' to all of the above, I no longer have any problems at all with recording audio in Wex.....with any Puppy, regardless of how old. Even Racy & Lucid are now happy to do so.

Reason? Quite simple; this. (I'm now using a totally separate sound-card, with its own, dedicated mic-level and headphone-level controls. This thing is recommended; it's even simpler than using a separate, USB sound card!)

And the results are pretty good.....

gabtech

Wex screencast

#73 Post by gabtech »

I tried the 64bit version wex in Bionicpup64, it's not working.

wiak

Re: Wex screencast

#74 Post by wiak »

gabtech wrote:I tried the 64bit version wex in Bionicpup64, it's not working.
The following thread post explains how to fix weX for BionicPup (it was the same as for BionicDog, but Fredx181 applied the fix to the BionicDog repo version anyway):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 15#1009415

with final summary decision:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 97#1009497

You may also need 'pupradio' as explained here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 55#1009255

I think Mike's All-in-on package contans the fixes?:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 99#1009799

wiak

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ wiak/gabtech:-

The 64-bit 'all-in-one' can't be changed, since that stuff was all built-in before Fred turned it into an AppImage. While I've used Fred's 'portable-creation' scripts many times myself, I do not know how you can look inside an AppImage, once created.

I believe rockedge did post about a method for doing so, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it, since it's only a post in an otherwise unrelated thread.....so any 'Search' programs would never find it.

--------------------

From re-reading the thread, I believe we decided the best version for Bionicpup64 was the one without the 'built-in' ffmpeg.......making use of the system version instead, since it's new enough to recognise many of the variables in your scripts.

The package I did for this has the 'audio_in.plug' 'fixes' enabled, as well as the modification in user_utilities that sets mpv as the default player for button 6, together with the altered icon to reflect this.

@ gabtech:-

Download the attached .pet below:-

You need to check whether or not you have libImlib2 and libglib installed; all things being equal, you should have. Also, make sure ffmpeg is the newest available via the PPM.

After checking those items, WeX should fire up. Do be aware that the only thing you see on-screen initially is a very tiny toolbar, top dead-centre of the desktop. The first thing you'll need to do is to click on the last but one button, the crossed spanners, and configure everything.

Let us know what happens, please.

Attachments
WeX-0.8.18-screencaster-bionic64.pet
WeX for Bionicpup64; makes use of the system version of ffmpeg
(55.77 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

mikeslr

Extract AppImage

#76 Post by mikeslr »

FWIW,

I thought the post regarding extracting Appimages was by RetroTechGuy. Using it as part of the search field I was just as successful as Mike Walsh -- not at all. Having long ago realized that my memory leaks, I've developed the habit of making notes of things I may want to revisit. I just have to remember that I did make a note, and where I put it. So the note, a pdf of the post, lead to this:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 240#983240

TecnoGuy458, RetroTechGuy -- wars have been fought over smaller differences.

fredx181

#77 Post by fredx181 »

I do not know how you can look inside an AppImage, once created.

Hi Mike, The newest appimages from https://appimage.github.io/apps/ can be extracted with e.g.

./name.AppImage --appimage-extract
, but I think all these are 64-bit, so only works from a 64-bit OS.

For to extract appimages that are packaged the old style (from years ago) https://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/ you can use:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... t/download (32-bit)

Another way is to run the appimage and look in /tmp for the (mounted) hidden folder named like .mount_XXXXXX, then to extract it would be copying that folder to another location.

Fred

gabtech

Wex screencast

#78 Post by gabtech »

@Mike Walsh

Thanks for the Wex pet. Wex opens but when I click on the config button it closes. The two libs you mentioned are installed. And when I click the record button, wex seems to be recording but after clicking stop I can't find the output video.

wiak

Re: Wex screencast

#79 Post by wiak »

gabtech wrote:@Mike Walsh

Thanks for the Wex pet. Wex opens but when I click on the config button it closes. The two libs you mentioned are installed. And when I click the record button, wex seems to be recording but after clicking stop I can't find the output video.
Like I suggested in one of the links, try installing pupradio from Puppy Package Manager. Wex doesn't actually use pupradio but has it as a default utility (and one is needed hence just install it cos its tiny) - as far as I remember that stops weX closing after config button.

By default, the recording normally appears in /root directory. But once config button okay you should be able to set the directory where recording will be stored (and see where it current default is for save directory/filename).

wiak

gabtech

Wex screencast

#80 Post by gabtech »

@wiak

Thanks. Just downloaded pupradio, the config button now opens. Left everything as is and tried to record but still no video in root.