Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 03:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Firefox 38.8.0 in Slacko 632: 'No video formats recognized'
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
mawasley

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul 2019, 10:23    Post subject:  Firefox 38.8.0 in Slacko 632: 'No video formats recognized'  

Hello;
I am running firefox 38.8.0 ESR which came with the SLACKO 6.3.2. installed on my older acer laptop.
Some videos work fine but I frequently get the error message, YOUR BROWSER DOES NOT CURRENTLY RECOGNIZE ANY OF THE VIDEO FORMATS AVAILABLE, and goes on to review frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.

QUESTION: Can the 38.8.0 run HTML5 videos? If so, what do I need to do?

Hope info. was sufficient.
MW
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul 2019, 07:08    Post subject:  

Hallo, mawasley.

That's a pretty old version, isn't it?

I would say the best solution for this is to use one of the various up-to-date 'portable' versions of Firefox that have appeared recently. Either that, or the current 'portable' version of Palemoon.....

Fredx181 started the ball rolling for all this 'portable' stuff with his portable FF-Quantum. Now; I don't know if you want the current, up-to-date version of FF, or if you prefer the ESR releases? Whatever the case is, here's what's currently available.....and these are all self-contained, with everything required to run, including the GTK3 stuff, and PulseAudio stuff for sound:-

'Portable' FF-Quantum : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

'Portable' FF-ESR (currently 60.5.1) : Link for this is in the first post of the above thread, (assembled by me)

'Portable' Palemoon : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119 - After updating, you'll be on the current version, 28.6.1. Palemoon has no issues with HTML5 at all, and is considerably more lightweight than Firefox.

Usage instructions are the same for all of these. Download the archive. Unzip. Inside, you'll find either a 'firefox32' directory, or a 'palemoon32' directory. Copy/move this to somewhere outside Puppy-space (preferably /mnt/home, or you can even put these on a separate flash drive; they'll run quite happily from there).

For FF, open the 'firefox32' directory, and start it via the 'ff' script. First run will create, and store, you profile within the directory. So long as you always start via the 'ff' script, it will always use the 'internal' profile.....and this is what makes these portable; you can copy the whole directory anywhere you want, click on the launch script, and it'll fire up with all your bookmarks, personal customizations, etc, ready to go.

For Palemoon, it's exactly the same procedure, except in this case, you start via the 'plmn' script instead.

In both cases, the script can be dragged to the desktop as a launcher, and, if you wish, re-named and/or dressed-up with an icon.

Hope that helps.

Mike. Wink

8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2019, 11:24    Post subject:  

You could always download the video instead. Just toss if not your favorite.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2019, 13:35    Post subject:  

Firefox-ESR portable install script, see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1033657#1033657

Fred

Ananda98

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2019, 07:46    Post subject:  

Hello, mawasly.

I also use that Firefox, in same version on Slacko. Simply, if it didn't work for playing videos, you can try use another browsers. Beside Firefox, I put Chromium in my Slacko
thinkpadfreak

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2019, 08:04    Post subject:  

Hello, mawasly.

As others say, it is recommended that you use a newer browser. But if you stick by Firefox 38.8 for some reason, try changing the configurations.

Go to the advanced configurations by typing about:config in the navigation tool bar.

Change the value of the items below by right-clicking them:
media.mediasource.enabled -> true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled -> true

This will enable vp9 codec, with which you can play most of the YouTube videos. FF 38.8 cannot play mp4 videos without gstreamer installed. So mp4 videos cannot be played by default.
Ananda98

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 21:56    Post subject:  

Hello, thinkpadfreak

Quote:

Hello, mawasly.

As others say, it is recommended that you use a newer browser. But if you stick by Firefox 38.8 for some reason, try changing the configurations.

Go to the advanced configurations by typing about:config in the navigation tool bar.

Change the value of the items below by right-clicking them:
media.mediasource.enabled -> true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled -> true

This will enable vp9 codec, with which you can play most of the YouTube videos. FF 38.8 cannot play mp4 videos without gstreamer installed. So mp4 videos cannot be played by default.

Tested on Firefox 38.4, and works. Thanks so much!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 22:29    Post subject:  

Mawasley probably won't be back. If he does come back, I'd ask him to tell us what videos Firefox couldn't play. A few examples might just clear up the confusion.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: